Is the STB-1 just a worse Mk.6?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

solace__ #1 Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16117 battles
  • [PNCR]

I have both tanks, however I’m finding the Mk.6 does many things the STB-1 does except better. Although the view range and mobility advantage goes to the STB, I feel as though the Mk.6’s combination of stats are a much better mixture, while staying similar to the STB’s.

if you have any thoughts as to why I would choose an STB over the Mk.6 in a random battle, I’d be interested.

Posit1ve_ #2 Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 44179 battles
  • [LIES]

The differences you noted are pretty important. STB-1 is way faster than the Chieftain, the view range is also way better, and the camo is also better. STB-1 can take aggressive positions more quickly than the Chieftain, rotate way faster than the Chieftain, scout much more efficiently than the Chieftain, and play the view range game better than the Chieftain. Sure in a straight up fight, the Chieftain has the edge because of the alpha advantage, but Chieftain is a really soft heavy anyway. 

Sure, STB pays for the mobility with worse pen, alpha, and HP, but that's a normal tradeoff for a med. Chieftain is a bowl of lukewarm porridge. It's not like a 113 that can stand and fight, but the awful p/w ratio really limits its ability to move around the map too. IS-4 mobility on such a squishy tank really sucks, yet it retains the drawbacks of most meds, lower alpha than most heavies, a general lack of armor, and a horrific premium round (at least the STB-1 has HEAT ammunition, and not APCR). If I wanted to play an accurate, squishy, heavy with 10 degrees of gun depression, I'd just play the AMX 50 B, which has an autoloader, a way better premium shell, and way better mobility.

STB has these same drawbacks, albeit slightly more extreme, but it still retains the strengths of a medium tank, and can play like a med, unlike the Chieftain

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

THE_Viajero #3 Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:23 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22932 battles
  • [F8TAL]
I use to think like you OP, but they are totaly diferent tanks whita some what similar play stile, bout are worth keeping; that been said, i think the Chieftain is a little better and more easy to drive and do better in it,, in my case i have manage to keep my WR around 53% in the Chieftain, but i can't get my WR up in the STB-1 

Viajero means Traveler 

:B

People complain when the ping goes to 100 but I have always play whit 150~ of ping 

ps: I'm a not native English speaker, so, sorry for any mistakes (or maybe the autocorrector trolled me XD) 

Schwa1be #4 Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20616 battles

Stb is a better leo and the patton is a better stb (arguably)

the stb - mk6 comparison is weird

Peace and War §

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWjPt3t9YfRELnF49qzMjPQ

~ Fighting This Same Old War ~

_Bulldogge #5 Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17119 battles
  • [HAXX]

You compare any tier 10 heavium like the Chieften  with a medium counterpart and it's going better in every way except for mobility and some times view range. Doesn't help much that the tier 10 meta doesn't cater much to mediums anymore.

That's just my opinion though :harp:

Heavy as a hurricane louder than a freight train

Ay yo B

Discord: _Bulldogge #9081

I_Maverick_I #6 Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:43 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 18459 battles
  • [_V_]
Chieftain doesn't have the rotational ability that the STB-1 has. STB really combines the best parts of the Patton and Leo into one beast. Chieftain is good when set up, but it takes a while to set up.

Techincal Difficulties

_kell54_ #7 Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:53 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40220 battles
  • [WKD]
Chieftain way better premium camo. That’s about it.
All kidding aside. Chieftain in the hands of a skilled player will play a bit above player base average.
An stb in the hands of a skilled medium player can dominate the entire field.

__Crusader6__ #8 Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

BANNED

• Players
  • 55442 battles
  • [III]

Two totally different tanks with very different play styles. 

Tank Hoarder: 351 tanks in Garage:  353/354 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo), I’d like to ace the new tier 2 Chinese but can’t get in battle...    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner
I think 5.5 is good for the game - I also want my Kenny OP nerfed

Dan_Deerso #9 Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:11 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 21322 battles
  • [MOMS]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 09 November 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

The differences you noted are pretty important. STB-1 is way faster than the Chieftain, the view range is also way better, and the camo is also better. STB-1 can take aggressive positions more quickly than the Chieftain, rotate way faster than the Chieftain, scout much more efficiently than the Chieftain, and play the view range game better than the Chieftain. Sure in a straight up fight, the Chieftain has the edge because of the alpha advantage, but Chieftain is a really soft heavy anyway. 

Sure, STB pays for the mobility with worse pen, alpha, and HP, but that's a normal tradeoff for a med. Chieftain is a bowl of lukewarm porridge. It's not like a 113 that can stand and fight, but the awful p/w ratio really limits its ability to move around the map too. IS-4 mobility on such a squishy tank really sucks, yet it retains the drawbacks of most meds, lower alpha than most heavies, a general lack of armor, and a horrific premium round (at least the STB-1 has HEAT ammunition, and not APCR). If I wanted to play an accurate, squishy, heavy with 10 degrees of gun depression, I'd just play the AMX 50 B, which has an autoloader, a way better premium shell, and way better mobility.

STB has these same drawbacks, albeit slightly more extreme, but it still retains the strengths of a medium tank, and can play like a med, unlike the Chieftain

HEAT is worse than APCR as a premium round.

Vertical axis is relative effectiveness and horizontal is raw angle of impact.

Posit1ve_ #10 Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:03 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 44179 battles
  • [LIES]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 10 November 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

HEAT is worse than APCR as a premium round.

Vertical axis is relative effectiveness and horizontal is raw angle of impact.

I'm well aware of the effects of normalization.

However, HEAT ammo in general is still a far superior ammo type for premium shells all factors considered.

Firstly, on heavy tank APCR ammo, pen loss is quite substantial, with the Chieftain's premium pen dipping below 300mm at 200M. Also, HEAT ammunition in general benefits from higher raw penetration numbers which usually compensates for the normalization effect. On equivalent guns, this advantage is more than enough to compensate. Moreover, HEAT ammunition benefits substantially more from calibrated shells than APCR ammo, and on top of higher raw penetration numbers, this effect is quite substantial. And finally, HEAT ammo basically will never ricochet. 

To illustrate the advantage of HEAT ammunition, for this particular comparison, if you mount CS on both the STB-1 and Chieftain, against an E-100 with the turret angled at a modest ~23 degrees from forward, the STB-1 will pen pretty much every shell at every range, but the Chieftain drops to a 50/50 for a ~230M range. 

And HEAT ammunition is more effective against sidescraping targets that rely on the auto-bounce angle, and even against things like Bat Chats, where AP and APCR ammo will have a tendency to ricochet off the front plate

Edited by Posit1ve_, 11 November 2018 - 07:04 AM.

301 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

NitroTheCreator #11 Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

Bow Down Before Me

• Players
  • 36206 battles
  • [STORM]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 10 November 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Two totally different tanks with very different play styles. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users