Maverick's Minute Pt. 3: How Can I Git Gud in 5 Minutes?

unicum guide

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

__Frostbite #1 Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

Howdy all, 

Here is Part 3 of my Forum-exclusive series called "Maverick's Minute". If you know what this is, just skip this little intro. If you're just clicking on this for the first time and don't know what this is, let me explain. In these short but percise threads, I attempt to give my take on an opinion or give some advice about WoT Blitz. They are structured to give a main arguing point and leave room for discussion below. They should be short enough to be read in only a few minutes. Fair warning, however: this one should take quite more than just a few minutes to read.

Again, if you missed the previous 2 episodes, they can be found here: http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/99555-mavericks-minute-pt-1-why-medium-tanks-are-still-relevant-at-tier-10/page__fromsearch__1 and http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/99857-mavericks-minute-pt-2-situational-awareness-impact/page__p__1564712#entry1564712.

This game is more like a game of chess than anything, with one obvious change, each player gets to control one piece. The goal is to work together as one. So consider this: don't play to your advantage, play to the teams. Here's a few things to accept:

- The tank you decide to play has a fundamental role for your team to succeed. Of course, things can be played differently, but if you enter into the queue with a light tank, your team has an expectation for you to do a few things; namely spotting, luring the enemy into a bad position, and wrapping up kills. If you enter into the queue with a tank destroyer, you need to drive your tank into a position where you can predict the enemy will go and start dealing lots of damage. Playing a heavy means you need to frontline (most of the time), keep the enemy's attention on you for most of the time, and lead charges. If you want to play a medium, you need to be ready to do pretty much everything, you're like a substitute that can play pretty much all the positions but not as well.

- You will not win all your games. It's impossible to win 100% of your matches. And some of that will be because of your teammates. But over 70% of battles you get, regardless of the team you land with, or that the reds get, are winnable based on YOUR actions. About 40% of those matches will be easy wins. The other 30% is still possible to win, but increasingly relies on your actions in-game. For example, if you want to reach 50% WR, you're going to have to carry your own weight (dealing as much damage as your tank's HP when in lights, mediums, and heavies, and a bit more if in a TD; trying to get at least 1 spot per game, and to get at least one kill per game if you're going to die as well). If you want to get to 60% WR, you're going to need to prioritize the team rather than your own stats sometimes, be able to quickly think, and play a supportive role throughout the game to make the match as easy as possible for your teammates to do something and not be completely useless. If you want to get to 70%+ WR, you're going to need to be as perfect as you can be, and accept that your endless carries will stop not be enough for the more than occasional potatoes than end up on your team.

- Last thing to remember is that the key to success is a combination of quick thinking and knowledge of the game. Experience+intelligence=wins. Part of winning is spamming the battle button and getting familiar with the in-game controls, learning the sniper and spotting positions on maps, practicing your aim, all that. A trained monkey can do all that, but it's still needed. The real skill, however, comes from your thought process while in-game. It starts when you first get the list of enemy and friendly players. You start analyzing the tanks each team has, and making an inference on how the battle will play out before it does. then its just a matter of executing. Made a bad inference? Always leave room for mistakes and be able to rotate away whenever you play.

I would love to go into more detail, but then I'll be afraid to go over my 5 minute time limit.

Thanks,
Maverick

Edited by I_Maverick_I, 16 November 2018 - 07:16 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carnage_Asada_ #2 Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8427 battles
  • [OGRE]

The secret to getting rich in todays stock market, in two seconds:

Spoiler

__Frostbite #3 Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 15 November 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

The secret to getting rich in todays stock market, in two seconds:

Spoiler

Generally yes, that's true. Unless you're selling short.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpartacusDiablo #4 Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26233 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostThe_Lewolf, on 15 November 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

Yeah, Mav. Stop providing unique and helpful content and join the rabble in whining endlessly about WG and the latest update.

^^^ I second this.  No more trying to help players improve.  Please focus your energy towards adding to the endless stream of complaints.  

Thanks!

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

Tyeme #5 Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11580 battles
  • [-SA-]
It's great your taking the time to give all this good advice.  However, take a look at the hit percentages of the folks your trying to educate.  None of it will matter if they are not hitting and doing damage.

MudkipAtWar #6 Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

die

• Players
  • 22282 battles
  • [FL-TH]
aRe yOu aPaRt oF tHe lOgAnG

Hello

https://www.blitzsta.../1016605416.png

Clan list in order of join date: TBNT, 22ND, 22ND2, FSA, FSX, ZNTH, FLEET, FL-TH

SullBhit #7 Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30557 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Mav - I’m sure you’ll tell me this falls into the 30% biut how do you handle those games where you go where you think you should be in your tank and red did the unexpected that the green tanks in the wrong place didn’t see coming.  Leaving you down 2 quick tanks.

Strategies to recover?

j_rod #8 Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:02 PM

719-266-2837

• Players
  • 23703 battles
  • [H0B0S]
Think you can create a thread related to reading teams at the start of battle? Would be nice as a refresher for more experienced players and also to be able to share in game when a newer player starts calling direction that they maybe shouldn’t.

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

__Frostbite #9 Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:01 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View PostMudkipAtWar, on 15 November 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

aRe yOu aPaRt oF tHe lOgAnG

You know how often I get that question? :(

FYI my username is inspired by the movie "Top Gun", and its main character.

Click me!

djhiz #10 Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

Never Say Die

• Players
  • 19850 battles
  • [F2K]

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 15 November 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

You start analyzing the tanks each team has, and making an inference on how the battle will play out before it does. then its just a matter of executing. Made a bad inference? Always leave room for mistakes and be able to rotate away whenever you play.

I have been doing this for a long time now, but I don't know if it's just me, but nowadays the assumptions I used to make (which often worked) don't seem to hold true anymore. The worse part is; teams either roflstomp or evaporate, so if and often when an error in assuming is made as teams get even more unpredictable, you can't come back from it, as the battle's already over.

Anyone else feel this way?

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

__Frostbite #11 Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View PostThe_Lewolf, on 15 November 2018 - 06:21 AM, said:

Yeah, Mav. Stop providing unique and helpful content and join the rabble in whining endlessly about WG and the latest update.

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 15 November 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

^^^ I second this.  No more trying to help players improve.  Please focus your energy towards adding to the endless stream of complaints.  

Thanks!

Thanks guys :medal:

Click me!

__Frostbite #12 Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View PostSullBhit, on 15 November 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Mav - I’m sure you’ll tell me this falls into the 30% biut how do you handle those games where you go where you think you should be in your tank and red did the unexpected that the green tanks in the wrong place didn’t see coming. Leaving you down 2 quick tanks.

Strategies to recover?

Yeah, so unfortunately this happens a lot. Some green yoloes, or you ask a green to do a spotting run and boom...anyways, 6v7 or 5v7 within the first minute isn't fun. Here's how you can still win:

- Check which tanks your team and the enemy still has. This is going to matter a lot if the game mode is Supremacy, because if your team, say, has a bunch of meds and lights still alive, and they have big lumbering heavies and TD's, I would go for a quick double cap and wait until you guys have a good point lead. Eventually, assuming your team isn't peaking and bleeding, you'll have a point lead, and it's just a simple manner of rotating and keep caps. If they split to get the other 2 caps you have, get your remaining guys and rush the smaller/weaker group going for a cap. If they all push to one cap, go around and cap their one base and trade caps. 

- I got a little carried away there ^, but as I was saying, the best way to win a 5v7 is to wait for the enemy team to weaken themselves. At some point, they'll flank or split, their TD's will get left behind, their heavies will be in the wrong position while the rest of the team is rotating. Once they do something like a tank split, you need to take ALL your remaining tanks and clear out the weaker of the group. Focus fire is ESSENTIAL when you're down on HP and guns.  Once done, you should have close to a fair match from then. Good luck!

Click me!

__Frostbite #13 Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View Postj_rod, on 15 November 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

Think you can create a thread related to reading teams at the start of battle? Would be nice as a refresher for more experienced players and also to be able to share in game when a newer player starts calling direction that they maybe shouldn’t.

yeah ill start working on such a thread. thanks for the suggestion

Click me!

__Frostbite #14 Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View Postdjhiz, on 15 November 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I have been doing this for a long time now, but I don't know if it's just me, but nowadays the assumptions I used to make (which often worked) don't seem to hold true anymore. The worse part is; teams either roflstomp or evaporate, so if and often when an error in assuming is made as teams get even more unpredictable, you can't come back from it, as the battle's already over.

Anyone else feel this way?

I'll make a thread on what I think are some of the current meta assumptions and how to play it from the start.

Click me!

j0nn0 #15 Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19752 battles
  • [XREGS]
Constructive content on the forums in this day and age? I'm pleasantly surprised, so much that i had to log in and +1 you. Keep up the good work. I'd done a similar series of helpful tips & tricks to share within my clan and a couple Discord servers I'm on, but largely gave up on the playerbase as a whole. If you want, i can PM you the old files if i can find them. Just let me know and i can go root around my clan FB page for them. Pretty sure i wiped the originals from my computer at the start of 2017.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

minitel_NA #16 Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostAfleet_Alex, on 15 November 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Never saw anyone get their nose so far up Wg’s butt.

Congrats.

I also enjoy very much crying and insulting other players because it’s their fault when I lose. Can we form a clan ?

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Wolverine9827 #17 Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5455 battles

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 15 November 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

Why thank you, my good sir

The Politically Correct way to say FU....  LOVE IT!!!

Tank on!

minitel_NA #18 Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 15 November 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

[…]

- You will not win all your games. It's impossible to win 100% of your matches. And some of that will be because of your teammates. But over 70% of battles you get, regardless of the team you land with, or that the reds get, are winnable based on YOUR actions. About 40% of those matches will be easy wins. The other 30% is still possible to win, but increasingly relies on your actions in-game.

[…]

My favorite part 

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Icefang50 #19 Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

Endeavor to Persevere

• Players
  • 34640 battles
  • [-MAX-]

View Postminitel_NA, on 15 November 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

My favorite part 

is it because the math is wrong (“About 40% of those matches will be easy wins. The other 30%...”;)?

__Frostbite #20 Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25578 battles
  • [-0]

View Postj0nn0, on 15 November 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

Constructive content on the forums in this day and age? I'm pleasantly surprised, so much that i had to log in and +1 you. Keep up the good work. I'd done a similar series of helpful tips & tricks to share within my clan and a couple Discord servers I'm on, but largely gave up on the playerbase as a whole. If you want, i can PM you the old files if i can find them. Just let me know and i can go root around my clan FB page for them. Pretty sure i wiped the originals from my computer at the start of 2017.

thanks. if you have stuff you think could be useful, just send me a forums PM and ill sort through whatever it is and see if i can turn it into something :)

Click me!

Also tagged with unicum, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users