Jump to content


Caernarvon gun underpowered?

Caernarvon

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Padre_ShadowRider #1 Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31842 battles
  • 501
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

Aside from the fact I can't say this name, I'm extremely disappointed with this vehicle's performance relative to tanks in its tier and above. It has a relatively fast firing gun, but the damage it does puts it at a severe disadvantage even with APCR shells. I found going against an IS-3 it can't maintain the fight even with good pop and hide behind cover.   I have the best gun as well.

 

Wondering if the grind is worth it to the Conqueror and above or if they suffer the same types of disadvantages.  This tank may be better running across open fields or deserts rather than the narrow field of battle we have here. But even then, it isn't very fast.   

 

Thoughts?  



Posit1ve_ #2 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:24 PM

    Credits Master

  • Players
  • 51361 battles
  • 5,504
  • [_V_]
  • Member since:
    04-12-2011

The British heavy line is not a good line.

Some people like the Caernarvon, but honestly, I think it's lackluster. Sure the DPM is good, but as you noted, the alpha is just way too low for the tier (it's actually the worst in tier btw), and the Caern doesn't really have the mobility, nor the armor to make full use of that DPM.

 

Conqueror unfortunately is much of the same. While the alpha has improved, the mobility is still very average for a heavy, and the tank is still very soft, having the same hull as the Caern, but also a really crappy turret, so again, it's unable to make full use of its gun.

 

And it's still more of the same story when you get the FV-215B. The same mobility you know and love are disappointed with, but it's got a tougher turret than Conq. Great news right? Except the catch is the turret is rear mounted, and for tier 10, 400 alpha isn't that great anymore, so once again, you have another case of a great accurate gun with good DPM that you can't make good use of. 

 

That's basically the story of the British heavy line the whole way through. A great accurate gun with good DPM that's constantly being held back by low alpha, and some major flaws in the chassis. Mobility for the mid tiers, and lack of armor/turret placement for the high tiers. A full 6 tiers of disappointment really.


Edited by Posit1ve_, 09 December 2018 - 09:24 PM.

311 tanks in the garage!

 

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict


I_Maverick_I #3 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

    Ribble4Prez2020

  • Players
  • 23385 battles
  • 2,436
  • [_V2_]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2016
Caernarvon is has some good frontal armor and a good turret. Hulldown is the way to with. You can't trade with people, especially not with IS tanks because of their alpha advantage. 

“He Who Greets With Fire”
Get to know me on Discord: _Ntwadumela#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

 


Padre_ShadowRider #4 Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31842 battles
  • 501
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View PostPosit1ve_, on 09 December 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

The British heavy line is not a good line.

Some people like the Caernarvon, but honestly, I think it's lackluster. Sure the DPM is good, but as you noted, the alpha is just way too low for the tier (it's actually the worst in tier btw), and the Caern doesn't really have the mobility, nor the armor to make full use of that DPM.

 

Conqueror unfortunately is much of the same. While the alpha has improved, the mobility is still very average for a heavy, and the tank is still very soft, having the same hull as the Caern, but also a really crappy turret, so again, it's unable to make full use of its gun.

 

And it's still more of the same story when you get the FV-215B. The same mobility you know and love are disappointed with, but it's got a tougher turret than Conq. Great news right? Except the catch is the turret is rear mounted, and for tier 10, 400 alpha isn't that great anymore, so once again, you have another case of a great accurate gun with good DPM that you can't make good use of. 

 

That's basically the story of the British heavy line the whole way through. A great accurate gun with good DPM that's constantly being held back by low alpha, and some major flaws in the chassis. Mobility for the mid tiers, and lack of armor/turret placement for the high tiers. A full 6 tiers of disappointment really.

 

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I'm going to drop this tank and the line and concentrate on others.  I appreciate it.   "Hull down.... "   well there aren't enough situations where that is a reliable factor. 

 



Kade18 #5 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:36 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13072 battles
  • 191
  • [_V_]
  • Member since:
    08-30-2014

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 09 December 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

 

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I'm going to drop this tank and the line and concentrate on others.  I appreciate it.   "Hull down.... "   well there aren't enough situations where that is a reliable factor. 

 

 

there absolutely are, pay attention to the maps and learn how to use certain positions, always be hull down 
Kade18-Void
Like and subscribe (pls I beg)
Send Replays to kade18replays@gmail.com

FussyRude #6 Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4795 battles
  • 825
  • [AZUR]
  • Member since:
    02-14-2018
The british heavies are for men, you are a man!
#LoveLuchs

SuperMax812 #7 Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16566 battles
  • 137
  • [_V2_]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2015

View PostFussyRude, on 09 December 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

The british heavies are for men, you are a man!

 

The fact if he is actually one or a young kid

World of Tanks Blitz is A Fair & Balanced Game...
Like Really it is...
Don't Lie, it really is...
trust me :v
https://www.youtube....h?v=GRxofEmo3HA


SuperMax812 #8 Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:52 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16566 battles
  • 137
  • [_V2_]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2015
Anyway, the British line is VERY HARD. don't attempt it unless you are a unicum. The FV215b is a very good tank if you use it the way it's supposed to be used being a hull down, support tank. The alpha isn't that much to be bothered with since there are plenty of other tanks that do the same damage as it does. 

World of Tanks Blitz is A Fair & Balanced Game...
Like Really it is...
Don't Lie, it really is...
trust me :v
https://www.youtube....h?v=GRxofEmo3HA


The_Flop #9 Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:31 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 50318 battles
  • 152
  • [BTO]
  • Member since:
    10-08-2016
You should at least give the line a chance. You'll figure out for yourself wether you like it or not. While the alpha is low they have the best gun handling heavies that reward players who can find spots second line and bring their superior dpm to bear. I'm no Unicom but I'd have to say it competes with American line as my best consistent wr heavy line.

Player_5773117413 #10 Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:32 AM

    Professional Tinfoil Hatter

  • Players
  • 28769 battles
  • 8,783
  • [IRD]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2014

It needs a 32 pounder option as an alternative to the 20 pounders.

 

Without alpha, it relies on RoF, which requires the tank to stay exposed longer. The only time this isn't a problem is if you have a good hull down spot, but even then, you are relying on the enemy to remain exposed. The Conqueror has a good blend of the two, which is good because it cannot afford to stand its ground and trade shots.


"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch


Ookla_the_Mok #11 Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:17 AM

    Team Brisket

  • Players
  • 28187 battles
  • 5,482
  • [BRSKT]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014

The tank can be fun to play as you have accuracy and pen that will make you cackle with glee when it works.

 

The downside is the alpha and the total inability to carry.

 

I would not abandon it as the Conq is an interesting tank even if deeply flawed (and friggin' huge).

 

Simplest advice is to play the Caern like a medium, hull down ridges on the fringes, track shots... you know the drill. No telling last time I played the tank, but it remains in my garage as part of me hopes for a buff and to make her sing in the future.


[BRSKT] may or may not be recruiting you. 

Our Discord is now 72% Gritty content.

 


TengenToppaPotatoLagann #12 Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

    ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

  • Players
  • 52230 battles
  • 3,647
  • [RNSF]
  • Member since:
    03-31-2015

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 11 December 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

The tank can be fun to play as you have accuracy and pen that will make you cackle with glee when it works.

 

The downside is the alpha and the total inability to carry.

 

I would not abandon it as the Conq is an interesting tank even if deeply flawed (and friggin' huge).

 

Simplest advice is to play the Caern like a medium, hull down ridges on the fringes, track shots... you know the drill. No telling last time I played the tank, but it remains in my garage as part of me hopes for a buff and to make her sing in the future.

 

they're both better than their centurion counterparts; but you kinda have to play them that way' even though the matchmaker doesn't agree all the time.

situationally, either can be very capable. don't try and trade with heavies, though. 


>>>canine prints have claw marks, yet "mans best friend" camo does not; it would seem then that mans best friend is a cat... probably a leopard.

View Postminitel_NA, on 13 January 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

when I’m tired I think I’m good.


Padre_ShadowRider #13 Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31842 battles
  • 501
  • [18TH]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016
I ended up deleting the tank.  While it may be good in those narrow situations, it did not fit my playing style.   It requires too much dependence upon the team to be well placed, and with so many Yolos and team splitting up,  the tank is too vulnerable for many situations. For instance, I was trying to hold a front in Port Bay, peekaboom style, but the heavies did not or would not advance to secure the front.  This tank isn't really made for rear support, so.... the dependence on others is too great. 

boppinbobby #14 Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 51064 battles
  • 1,597
  • [HJG2]
  • Member since:
    12-31-2014

it got a major buff since i ground it, bushka said it was a major improvement. 

 


Big Gunz and Ammo Rackz.

HJG2; Hughmons are People too.







Also tagged with Caernarvon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users