ramdom team encounter noob strategy tactics flanking teamwork Guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Askersandask #1 Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2087 battles
  • [WAR2K]

I am a fairly new player (1400 games mostly med) and am trying to learn strategies for recovering when my random team does stupid stuff at the start of the game. Here are a few situations that come up pretty often and I would like to know what the best tactic(s) for each situation would be. I included what I am doing currently for some of them. If the tactic only works for some maps, tank types, tiers, etc. please include that. I mean this for encounter battles mostly (supremacy would be different.) 

I know communication is key, but I frequently have a bad connection so 1/2 the time I don't have time to suggest a strategy. 1/4 the game is already a few sec into it. And sometimes someone calls a plan someone else agrees and the rest of the team decides to go solo.

I cant help sometimes i will get a bad group, but I want to be the most effective I can still be, avoid getting pinned down, and just maybe do enough so the team can still win. (I have also gotten a bunch of games in a row where the enemy is all killed before I make it to the fight as a heavy, those ones bother me almost as much)

Whole team splits up, greens going right, left, and middle.

• I usually pick a player with thick armor and try to spot/flank/support them

Multiple in-actives, with only one I just leave them but with 2 or more is it worth it to use them as meat shields? (I mostly play tier 5 and 6, i see this every 150-ish games) 

2+ tanks went to spot and got killed fast,

• I try to get the team to a choke point and hope they don't flank

Half the tam wants to camp spawn, players actually communicate this in chat. (are there any maps where the spawn point is a good ambush position?) 

• leave them and try to win 3-4 vs 7 

Green team starts circling map together but leaves the heavies behind.

Red gets the hill/choke point while green dallies, then team splits.

• heavy sideswipe, TD I play peak-a-boom, light and med I flank

Players camp the map corner.

Heavies trying to snipe.

• not sure what to do, would playing bait and leading the reds back work?
  • I don't think spotting for them would work, a lot of the tier 5-6 heavies have big gun dispersion, so they would mostly miss/bounce

Team trying for a foolish (center of ravine/river) route

If there are any other stupid starts that you figured out how to deal with please post those too.

(T-34, T-34-85, KV-1, M8A1, and Scavenger are my most common tanks)

Morphman11 #2 Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26 battles

1. Never follow the heaviest moron. You look at the spread and determine your and their advantages then proceed to eliminate their advantage or press yours.

2. I can't not comprehend this attempt at English, but what I understand whether or not to abandon an overrun flank. That depends on the situation, which means how aggressively the enemy is advancing if they are rushing together you run, if they push in an interval matter then you sit and fight. Depends on the meatbags on your team as well. If they are awful you run, if not then you stay. 

3. Mines? 2 rush and enemy team isn't sleeping. You spot or flank the tds.

4. You don't use the spawn until a late game option.

5. Ping the map

6. If the opposing team has a strong position you leave and find where they are weak.

7. Its going to occur nearly every game. 90% of the time they will be useless.

8. Depends on the heavy. Depends on how the enemy is positioned/spotted.

9. Push hard.

SullBhit #3 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21696 battles
  • [CLEAR]

You do what you can do.  Some games are unwinnable and you just need to focus on getting as much damage as you can.

You mention trying to go to choke points several times.  I am not a choke point fan (the ally away from cap on ft despair, the opposite of rails on himmelsdorf, etc).  There’s no strategy or options there.  It’s just a battle of attrition.  I much prefer parts of the map that offer multiple tactical options than to run to a spot for a slug fest.  I’ll only call those spots when my team has a significant armor/gun advantage.

In your meds, you want to get out front, go quickly to key locations on the map that offer both cover and the ability to get early spots on the map meta and an escape.  Don’t go alone but don’t be afraid to go first.  Spot, shoot, back to cover, AND RESET CAMO.  You don’t need to shoot every time your gun is loaded in the early play.  There’s a good chance you were also spotted and since you’re out front, you are the only target.  Popping out again while red is tunneling will reward you with a spanking.  Be patient.  Wait until they look away or get hit by a teammate or you know you can peek a boom another shot without one in return.  You die a lot.  That tells me you are doing it wrong.

You can also just spot.  If your position has a bush there’s a good chance you can spot, and sit to see how many are there without being spotted back.  No one said you have to shoot because shooting will likely break camo.  Giving your team the advantage of knowing the location of the majority or the entire red team becomes a team advantage.

Just because a tank is heavily armored does not mean the driver is good.  I would rather be alone is a tactically better position than with a heavy in a tactically disadvantaged position.

As a med, it’s usually in your hands when circling the map.  If you string the team out, you better be good.  It’s all you taking out the red rear tanks faster than red takes out your rear tanks.  That usually comes down to skill because you are likely to find their most armored tanks and tds in back.  I would much rather stop circling at a spot on the map I’m most comfortable in, keep the team together, and hope the red meds continued to push so you can take them out before their armor catches up.

Spawn campers are everywhere.  Sometimes, it’s better in a med to spot and draw them in to spawn if you are the only one off spawn.  You also don’t want have tds in sniping positions near spawn that have no targets because you push too far and keep red from moving up.  Map awareness is both about your team and the red team.

Camping the corner of the map is sometimes needed.  Just depends on the map.  Don’t always assume a ravine or river is silly.  Sometimes they offer the best hull down if red is in a bad spot or someone is isolated.

Nothing is absolute.  You need to learn the fundamentals and learn how to apply them in certain situations.  If you are playing with a bad connection often... good luck.  You are putting yourself and your team at a disadvantage.  Ping is often not the problem... it’s packet loss.  If your packet loss is over 2-3% you are in serious trouble.

flexsphincter4 #4 Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 147 battles
  • [750H]

Three of the four tanks you mentioned are tanks that flank , if whole team goes for a race around the map , what I do in my med or Td  is not spear head the charge but hold back at the rear of group ,stopping briefly at corners were I can look back a moment and still be close to group safely  , , so.. when the reds are spotted by me flanking us (our rear in this example)  im close enough  to have heavy or slow td turn and find cover ,and I  run back to cover sucking them into trap. , . I play my faster TDs the simular way using it as a med (being behind cover and cammo net,  the med wont see me as I spot him even though he has better spotting range).

The mediums job is to attack or defend the flank(s). Many times a TD is dragging up the rear of group , you may use this  to your advantage with above senario enemy light and or medium hauling butt flanking  around the corner at himmelsdorf on the sides of map.  If TD is at back corner  and your behind the pile of dirt half way between, spotting ,it is a fun trap to spring . Guard the flank , if your meds all go flank then go with them ,but play to there flank , your in Mother Russia"s medium , it hits hard and can bounce shots. but be in position were you have mutual fire support, don't isolate yourself.  , if they seem  aggresive flanking support them, if to timid move from cover to cover and spot.

The TD you mention , follow the med that flanks, but if he out runs your support  going yolo then he is on his own., if its 2 meds and a light running as a pack , im following them, close enough to be effective using cover, never brawl lest its going to be a close battle and you have to get into it.

Heavy I don't play much except in tournys but when I do I dont  like to drive into choke point following the other heavys and slugging it out waiting for your flank to win and flank these red heavys or wait for my meds to fold and now im going to be trapped in the choke point., I try to work the close flank and if able to shoot across map with cheep shot on med or light , but close enough that if red thinks they have a tank advantage I am able to engage heavys from a flank position and turn turret.

If theres an option  always shoot the tank with least amount of hit points. If light and heavy are side by side full health I shoot the light first.

Please don't smash my lack of English grammer

Askersandask #5 Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2087 battles
  • [WAR2K]

View PostSullBhit, on 20 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

You don’t need to shoot every time your gun is loaded in the early play. 

You can also just spot.  If your position has a bush there’s a good chance you can spot, and sit to see how many are there without being spotted back.  No one said you have to shoot because shooting will likely break camo.  Giving your team the advantage of knowing the location of the majority or the entire red team becomes a team advantage.

Spawn campers are everywhere.  Sometimes, it’s better in a med to spot and draw them in to spawn if you are the only one off spawn.  You also don’t want have tds in sniping positions near spawn that have no targets because you push too far and keep red from moving up.  Map awareness is both about your team and the red team.

Camping the corner of the map is sometimes needed.  Just depends on the map.  Don’t always assume a ravine or river is silly.  Sometimes they offer the best hull down if red is in a bad spot or someone is isolated.

Nothing is absolute.  You need to learn the fundamentals and learn how to apply them in certain situations.  If you are playing with a bad connection often... good luck.  You are putting yourself and your team at a disadvantage.  Ping is often not the problem... it’s packet loss.  If your packet loss is over 2-3% you are in serious trouble.

I am guilty of that first part, will try to change and learn when it is best to just spot.

Can you explain how one would draw the enemy into where your spawn campers are, or link any replays of it being done well?

For the ravine and rivers I just don't have enough experience yet, all the attempts failed spectacularly. I'll look into finding more about it.

For the connection it can't be helped, generally its a day to day thing and if it is bad enough to disrupt the team I'll quit for the day, lag/late starts are no fun for anyone. 

Thank You SullBlit,

Some of these suggestions are new to me and I can see significant value in them, the others have even more value and I just need to apply them more often. 

Block Quote

Morphman11 

2. I can't not comprehend this attempt at English.

5. Ping the map

2.  Two players are inactive or away from keyboard for the entire game, I was asking if I draw the enemy into the spawn area and shoot the reds from partial cover while the reds kill the easier inactive targets.

5.  Ping the Map? what do you mean?

flexsphincter4, your spot flankers from back strategy seems worth trying if I am the lower tier. 

CDs_minion #6 Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5872 battles
  • [UNI0N]
My advice would be to search YouTube for video's. Watch a few then go kill reds from the knowledge you've gained.

Also tagged with ramdom, team, encounter, noob, strategy, tactics, flanking, teamwork, Guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users