The "Team" Aspect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Player_5773117413 #1 Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 28744 battles
  • [IRD]

One vocal complaint in the game is that "teams suck [today/yesterday/two weeks from today/in an alternate universe]". But then others shoot back saying "carry harder".

Let's look at expectations over here. Is WoTB really a team game?

The difference between a "group" and a "team" is that in a team, individuals cooperate and work together to strive for the same goal. In most folks' opinion, yes, Blitz teams generally do strive to win the battle. So this shouldn't even be a discussion...

But let's look at some other aspects here.

Teams are random. Your ally in one battle could very well be your enemy in a future battle, and vice versa. What do we therefore categorize this as? Treason? By that definition, all the players in the game would be traitors.

Piggybacking off of that, teams don't have much time to develop. You sit in the garage, press battle, one loads up, and seconds later you are getting ready to drive around the virtual battlefield alongside [usually] six other pixel tanks. There's your team. Did you have time to plan beforehand? Maybe if you call one particular direction. Did you have time to interact and bond? Not unless you knew each other beforehand, and you don't know all the thousands of players on the server. So team cohesion is kind of a bust here.

Then when you go back to that idea of everyone striving for the same goal, remember that everyone is striving to meet that same goal in the midst of a zero sum game. Therefore, it will be inevitable that you will have to cut down others on your path there. And there goes the cooperation...

So is Blitz really a team game? If we look really deep into it, clans are the only things in the game relatable to a well structured team, since those members have time to build their team structure and they work together to achieve a certain goal, be it victory in clan wars or higher level clan supplies.

Otherwise, your "teams" in Blitz are just groups of individuals randomly clumped together to give you an opportunity to attain your own goals and some opportunities are less opportunistic than others. But in the end, how you take advantage of that opportunity varies; the average success rate hovers around 48% last I recall. 

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

TO_Dominator #2 Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

Divine Punishment

• Players
  • 9758 battles
  • [YODA_]

When I play random battles, I don't expect any teamwork. I'll make a call, and then do my own thing from there. I'll help out teammates, but only to kill the red, not to help the teammate out. 

I only start focusing on teamwork when in a platoon, on a team with a player I recognize or in a tournament.

"Blitz" can't exist within a world of TDs.

I_Maverick_I #3 Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 23361 battles
  • [_V2_]
Now, it's like Deathmatch in CS:GO. You get a bunch of people you're not allowed to kill, slightly more people you're allowed to kill, and the goal is for you to win, not the team to do so. You have the ability to queue in duos if you want (platooning), and the ability to set up more complicated strategies through text communications in which people work their tank roles, but in the end, most people's focus is just to blow up tanks, preferably faster than the reds. 

“He Who Greets With Fire”
Get to know me on Discord: _Ntwadumela#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

gsauce1 #4 Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 49024 battles
  • [TYPHN]
I love when you have a game and you end up working together with a green teammate unexpectedly, and even better when you win. Made some friends that way. It’s a team game. Just doesn’t always feel like that unfortunately. 

j0nn0 #5 Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 18941 battles
  • [XREGS]

I'm just gonna leave this here for ya... All i can say otherwise is that you get used to it and learn to roll with the punches or quit while you're ahead.

Words to live by

I try to play all my tanks to ruin somebody’s game.

CA_vampire #6 Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25033 battles
  • [MOMB]

Yeah, it's a team game. Often it's failed teams, moronic teams, teams of idiots. Sometimes (rarely) it's a good team, and that's fun. 

tedg5 #7 Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 48030 battles
  • [AGOGO]

View Postgsauce1, on 21 January 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

I love when you have a game and you end up working together with a green teammate unexpectedly, and even better when you win. Made some friends that way. It’s a team game. Just doesn’t always feel like that unfortunately. 

That is sooo satisfying. You and a random green player feeding off each other like youve played forever. Like snuggling with a pile of sleeping puppies. :rolleyes:

PeteGee45 #8 Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29564 battles
  • [ATTK]

I think that being a team player comes down to a few things that we can do to encourage team play. 

believe that  every tank on the field has a role to play. If we could convince more people that their choice of tank implies a responsibility to play that role we would have better teams. I played a game last night where a VK 28.01 took up a bad TD location on mines. They sat there waiting for a tank on top of the hill to wander into their gun sites. Needless to say they contributed nothing to the game. 

The other thought (that I’m embarrassed to say has only recently moved into my consciousness) is that I and others could do a better job looking for opportunities to put ourselves into a position that that creates a team play situation. I have found that I can find situations where I can encourage team play by joining another player in a single effort. If that effort succeeds then both players will often play together for the rest of that battle.

servant111 #9 Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8900 battles
  • [TWW]

WG does not care about gameplay....their focus is upon short term cash flow...period.  When you offer op pay to play tanks almost every single day in every tier....and you change the game to focus almost exclusively on a kindergarden level market.... you (DUH) get a HUGE inflow of new players in the 7-12 age level who use daddy's ,money to buy their pay to play tanks in every level... That makes WG a lot of cash....and that is what matters.

It also results in PUGS AT EVERY LEVEL filled with new players who have  no skills and no clue about how to play the game.   Thus you get an almost unending stream of PUG matches where your side has three or four players that score less than 600 cause the match does not last beyond a couple of minutes.  Yes it is a joke...but WG makes their short term cashflow as the experienced players suck it up...realize that it will not get better...and move on to other venues to spend their gaming time where they can have a match worth playing more often.

unKN1GHTed #10 Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

Private

• Players
  • 7099 battles
  • [FLOOP]
It's a bit like Battlefield really. People are forced to play in a "squad", but then everyone goes off and does their own thing, while still relying on the squad for certain things. I actually like it, but I understand the frustration when you're forced to carry.

Edited by unKN1GHTed, 22 January 2019 - 11:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users