VK 45.03, The Mutt of The Bunch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

BooMRekT777 #1 Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7353 battles
  • [TWW]

Greetings allies, today I would like to write this review to bring attention to this particular tank as it is not brought up to often and when it is it is scrutinized rather than praised. So, as your local neighborhood German Tank Enthusiast, I thought that today I would bring you this review and perhaps shine some new light on this chastised Tier VII German Heavy Tank.

Some Historical Background:

Not to much is known of this tank. It started out as an early design for the Tiger II, but towards the end of the war it was designated the Tiger III. They only existed in blueprint but they did manufacture turrets for them that would later be used on early Tiger II's.

INGAME ASPECTS:

Stock Grind:

N/A, the VK 45.03 is a premium tank.

Gun:

The VK 45.03 mounts the bittersweet 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71. I say its bittersweet because on Tier VII Tanks, the gun is pretty much legendary, but on Tier VIII Tanks it gets rough (cough cough, Panther II). But since it is on a Tier VII, it is more than capable of doing the business. Fires a round every 5.6 seconds for an average of 220 damage, ever so slightly faster than its peers, the Tiger I and Tiger (P). Standard AP pen is 203 with APCR 237, which is more than enough to pen most Tier VIII tanks frontally. Dispersion is 0.326, which is not the worst but not the best, pretty average for the type of gun it is.

Armor:

This is a  somewhat aspect of the VK 45.03. The armor profile is the exact same as the Tiger I except the VK 45.03 loses 2 mm of side and rear armor (pretty minuscule). The thing is, however, the frontal plate is large, and pretty steeply sloped, so one can only assume if they use and abuse this picture they can bounce a pretty healthy amount of shots. There is, however, a pretty rough handicap that plagues this tank armor-wise... The turret has just awful armor. If you just slightly turn the turret away from the enemy they can, and will easily exploit that awful armor. The Tiger I on paper seems to have the same issue however, the shape and size of the turret is what makes the difference. Not to mention the Tiger I's massive gun mantlet. The side armor values and weak turret armor values make side scraping an exceptional option.

Mobility:

The mobility is slower than the Tiger I but faster (by quite a bit) than the Tiger (P). The VK 45.03 has a 38 km/h top speed, whereas the Tiger I has a 44 km/h top speed. Its engine also has around 70 less horsepower than the Tiger I so it does accelerate slower. Sometimes it feels a tad bit sluggish but thats the price one must pay for a slope in armor. Not the best, but not by a long shot the worst.

Misc:

Gun Depression:

8 degrees, keep that in mind, it will come in handy, thats an extra degree from the Tiger I.

Camouflage:

Doesn't matter

Looks:

I actually am a pretty big fan of how this tank looks, it looks like a Tiger II but its a tier VII. I really enjoy the painted wheels, they look pretty good and go with most of the camouflages.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I feel like this tank is way to overlooked and under driven on the battlefield. Not many know about it, less own it, even less remember it, and even less enjoy it. If you have this tank parked I encourage you to take it out and dust it off. It is really a mutt as it is quite the blend of Tiger I and Tiger (P).

Edited by BooMRekT777, 21 January 2019 - 11:09 PM.

GERMAN TANK LOVER HERE

MY PREMIUM TENKS: LöweT34 IndependenceVK 45.03Type 64Tankenstein, Stridsvagn 74A2,Snowstorm JagdTiger 8,8 cmPanzer IV SchmalturmLekpz M 41 90 mm Cruel TwistType 62 Dragon

I_Maverick_I #2 Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:21 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 19726 battles
  • [_V2_]
How much free time do you have? +1 anyways

(Credits to SparticusDiablo for the signature)
Get to know me on Discord: Maverick#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

BooMRekT777 #3 Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7353 battles
  • [TWW]

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 21 January 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

How much free time do you have? +1 anyways

lol none as of tomorrow  :teethhappy:

Edited by BooMRekT777, 21 January 2019 - 11:49 PM.

GERMAN TANK LOVER HERE

MY PREMIUM TENKS: LöweT34 IndependenceVK 45.03Type 64Tankenstein, Stridsvagn 74A2,Snowstorm JagdTiger 8,8 cmPanzer IV SchmalturmLekpz M 41 90 mm Cruel TwistType 62 Dragon

j0nn0 #4 Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:03 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 16971 battles
  • [XREGZ]
Pretty sure i have one in garage collecting dust. I've been meaning to credit grind on rotation but never had the motivation to so so. Maybe I'll do it once the first couple weeks of my semester settle down. 

Sometimes, you just gotta sit back and watch them all burn. Don't forget to bring popcorn. You're going to need a snack.

carta_gena #5 Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11592 battles
  • [BADDD]
It’s good but if you want it to be a good competitor to the other tier 7 heavies then the front upper glacis should be buffed from 100 mm to 120. And that area around the gun mantlet should be buffed from 100mm to about 140. For balance purposes you can nerf the terrain resistance if needed. All of this would really make it a tier 7 “Tiger 2” and people would play it more often. I know I would.

Edited by carta_gena, 22 January 2019 - 01:45 AM.

__Boomer2__ #6 Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16112 battles
  • [501DV]
Its an absolute monster of a tank; it got the buff the Tigers got but not the nerf so the gun is almost a machine gun.  Only thing keeping this tank from being extremely OP is its lack of armor.

Tier Xs: M48 Patton, E100, T110E4, T110E5, Maus, T57

Join my Discord: https://discord.gg/vkMn9Q7

View PostASensationalAsian, on 27 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Anyone who drives a 183 please commit die.

Blartch #7 Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

Causer of Unrest

• Players
  • 56186 battles
  • [SPUD]
Totally misread this title... although it’s slow speed and weak turret tend to make it the Butt of the Munch

_Cletus #8 Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19938 battles
  • [QUEFF]

I think it's freaking awesome that you did this OP!  This is a tank I hadn't thought about in forever, I rarely see it in battle, and I'm glad you shined a little light on it.

I might just have to go get one of these tanks and try it out.  I realize it's not the best tier 7, but it might be fun to play.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png

A good heavy driver knows how to make shots bounce off their armor, how to use cover while fighting at the front, when to get out there and just take the shot to protect his team, to keep the reds attention focused so his team can flank, and to consistently do damage while all of that happens.  

servant111 #9 Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8897 battles
  • [TWW]

Tiger 1 is a joke....yes I grinded through that piece of junk...and got my E-100. The Tiger P is what the Tiger 1 should have been relative to the VII tier... Remember this is a game and the actual values...like the ultranerfed Tiger 1 reflects that the primary interest of our Russian masters WG has been to generate cash...thus the Tiger 1 is one of many shortcut queens that are purposefully inserted and radically nerfed to encourage players to short cut this pos by spending beaucoup gold.   Every line has them.... two examples I can attest to are the IS-8 and the KV-4....these were great tanks in history but WG radically nerfed them to almost demand your use of gold to shortcut....  I do not normally use gold myself to shortcut but I must admit that in WOT-Regular...I spent almost 40$ in gold to shortcut to the IS-7 after trying for a month to grind that pos IS-8....which is one of the worst tanks in the game....(course the KV-4 is pretty bad also..)   I am currently right on the edge of researching the IS-8 right now....but the recent epic nerfing of the IS-3 has left me wondering just how much disparity there is  now between the official stats and the actual performance..   WG has long engaged in bait and switch "balancing" secret nerfing in virtually every released patch.  This "balancing" nerfing got so bad in WOT-Regular that I quit playing that game about three years ago because the severity of the economic squeeze play on players and the rampant mod cheating going on with the "wink" tacit behind the scenes by WG staffers in clan wars with Relic and others just made the game no fun anymore.

Blitz is still fun....but the recent secret nerfing of my favorite premium tanks like the M6 makes it much more difficult to grind silver for advancement.  Ah well...got used to it in WG-Regular...and Iam sad tosee Blitz move exclusively towards a kindergarden customer market and a short term profit model as reflected by the pay to play OP tanks now offered every day in each tier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users