Wotinspector Heatmaps (release)

Game analysis strategy heatmaps

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Heatmaps in the map inspector app (16 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Heatmaps are on the website. When adding them to the app, would you rather have :

1. A link to the website (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Heatmaps as skins, applied onto the 3D map, being able to watch replays on top (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Both (12 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Hide poll

minitel_NA #1 Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

Hey guys it’s completed,

okay it’s semi beta for now

there will be access from wotinspector  front page soon enough, on and from the app later on as well, but for now here is the direct link : 

https://wotinspector.com/en/heatmaps/

you can find any map and any game mode.

the goal is to archive them and add new maps if the game , maps, or the meta evolve.

there is plenty of material to dig in honnestly, including some small surprises when u look in the details of some maps. 

For exemple I always tell my teams in vineyard to go ruins rather than town but it seems that ruins deserves its name lol. From viewing the map I guess from now on I’ll let them go spread their guts  wherever they like.

I have plenty other comments that have come to my mind from spending the last few days with the maps, but how about I let you guys pick your heatmaps and discuss instead ?

Edited by minitel_NA, 19 February 2019 - 09:36 PM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

minitel_NA #2 Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

Oh and by the way as far as heatmaps in map inspector, would you guys like better : 

• a link to the website from within the app
  • skins of the heatmaps applied to the current map as an option ?
  • both.

Okay, okay, i’ll make it a poll.

I think I would like to see my replays unfolding directly on the heatmap and see if my teammates die as expected. 

This would also make a lot of sense to hmm not yet decent players, seeing that they received the damage exactly where people usually receive the damage.

Edited by minitel_NA, 19 February 2019 - 09:44 PM.

bg2b #3 Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 21070 battles
  • [SPUD]

One thought is that the damage dealt/received/traded info looks to be heavily biased by where TDs camp.  E.g., looking at the green spots on Canal or Castilla, one might naively conclude that the various well-known TD spots are great for doing lots of damage while taking little in return.  If there was a separate map for each tank type, that might make give me more ideas for where I should take my medium or heavy tank to be effective.

Presumably the replay files also include blocked damage info too.  Maybe considering damage taken vs damage blocked in a spot would give some indication of things like good hull-down areas.  (And if WG ever puts spotting damage info into the replays, having that available in a map would have obvious utility.)

minitel_NA #4 Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Postbg2b, on 19 February 2019 - 09:44 PM, said:

One thought is that the damage dealt/received/traded info looks to be heavily biased by where TDs camp.  E.g., looking at the green spots on Canal or Castilla, one might naively conclude that the various well-known TD spots are great for doing lots of damage while taking little in return.  If there was a separate map for each tank type, that might make give me more ideas for where I should take my medium or heavy tank to be effective.

I had the same thought crossing my mind. If I see this huge green spot, I just want to go there and camp all day, ne the king of the hill. 

Well i think people will think this through (those who can think): you need to correlate maps together, and that’s why on the site you can click back and forth to rotate through the various maps. 

there is a map showing where tank classes go, and a td’s job is to make the damage. A light tank’s job not as much. Of course if he makes huge damage he will help his team but a tds would do that same damage faster. 

i think the other reflection to have is lots of damage from the tds spots because tds make a lot of damage, and camp there. Light tanks would run all around the map and would do damage from everywhere. Unfortunately those maps are static, so that damage from light tanks are all around, and light tank need to adapt, it’s very hard to say light tanks should go here or there. A butterfly stretches its wing, and the light tank should relocate to continue doing its job. IMO.

Of course it’s a difficult remark to answer, what do people want to see in the heatmap ? how to extract this info from the replays ? How to deliver it in a simple way ? For now adding too many filters would be too much work, and might be just more confusion.

Block Quote

Presumably the replay files also include blocked damage info too.  Maybe considering damage taken vs damage blocked in a spot would give some indication of things like good hull-down areas.  (And if WG ever puts spotting damage info into the replays, having that available in a map would have obvious utility.)

I like blocked damage. I will ask what can be done. Of course it might end up showing just where heavy tanks go. It might also be primarily where trading occurs, with, say, on average  25% of trading being bounced. So we might look into it and not find something interesting in the end, but I will try. 

The other issue might be the amount of replays we have is barely sufficient for damage making, on some maps. So it might be way too low for damage blocking. 

Spotting damage my hopes are low. And the corollary long range damage aka sniping, I think those tds spots tell a strong story.

_Cletus #5 Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 23893 battles
  • [HAHA]
Minitel, I love you.  Thanks for spreading these around, they are super helpful, and you are a shining light to the waning Blitz community.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

Dan_Deerso #6 Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:00 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24970 battles
  • [III]
Hope your server's beefy, you'll be getting ALL of my replays from now on.

minitel_NA #7 Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post_Cletus, on 19 February 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

Minitel, I love you.  Thanks for spreading these around, they are super helpful, and you are a shining light to the waning Blitz community.

all the love is appreciated, 

well to to be honest it’s a lot more work and skills rom Andrew than it is from me.

j0nn0 #8 Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:47 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19151 battles
  • [XREGS]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 19 February 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Hope your server's beefy, you'll be getting ALL of my replays from now on.

I should stsrt doing the same if i ever have the time. Just mass dump play sessions if I'm ever on during the weekend.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

minitel_NA #9 Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]
By email you can send around 15 games which is a solid session, and from pc I think you can just massive dump your files (I never play therefore never upload from PC). 

minitel_NA #10 Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

I would like to hear if you have any suggestions becuase it might make the heatmaps better.

As an exemple, I had two requests that I’m going to comment on here :

bounced damage map. 

I think it’s difficuot to make. Damage made is already difficult because of the small amount of data. Even after so many 1000 battles, divided by as many maps and game modes and players, it’s just a few shots per game and it’s difficult to fill a map that has 512*512 pixels. Bounced shots are even fewer.

the other reason is that It might just shot where heavy are sitting (which is already in the tank class movements map) and where shots are traded as some amount of those are failed. (which is already in the damage map). So I doubt it will show anything, but Andrew might prototype some.

Personal heatmaps

again it has an issue of quantity of data. However I think this might become very interesting. Uploading replays to a personal file, and having some custom stats and custom heatmaps. Or maybe looking up a player name in the database, and seeing his replays, but maybe also his heatmaps ?

it might involve some work to developer and organize, some server cost to calculate and manage all that, so if it is even implemented, it might need some kind of support for it, under whatever form.

Would you like personal heatmaps ? Is there any other heatmaps you are interested in ?

Dan_Deerso #11 Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24970 battles
  • [III]
How hard would a shot ray heatmap be?

minitel_NA #12 Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 21 February 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

How hard would a shot ray heatmap be?

what is a shotray ?

cheesehead247365 #13 Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11968 battles
  • [-EZ-]
Does he mean where shots originate from?  

bg2b #14 Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 21070 battles
  • [SPUD]
I think he means maps showing where shots start and where they hit, i.e., you'd start to see common firing lines.

_Cletus #15 Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 23893 battles
  • [HAHA]
It'll probably be difficult due to small sample sizes, but tank class movements map filtered for high win rate players.  Let's see what the pro's do.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

j0nn0 #16 Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19151 battles
  • [XREGS]

View Post_Cletus, on 21 February 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

It'll probably be difficult due to small sample sizes, but tank class movements map filtered for high win rate players.  Let's see what the pro's do.

seconded, though I suggest leaving my stats off that since I tend to do stupid all the time and am probably an outlier, given my non standard tactics and somehow good stats. I did a stupid so massive last night that I aced the maus at 76% crew in one game, then got derped by a kv2 after killing 6/7 in my amx (the tier 6 one) from full health. Stalling out in front of a derp gun is not a good tactic for anybody to learn from me. 

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

minitel_NA #17 Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post_Cletus, on 21 February 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

yeah and that’s the issue, we barely have enough games for some damage maps. Cutting it down into smaller subset wouldn’t leave much to see, unfortunately.

I thought I had mentioned it before, but for similar purposes, I tend to look for specific playernames and either tanks or maps in the replay database and watch a few games directly, taking cues off of what they do. maybe just a switch “unicum” in the database could do that more easily, but I know that will make things difficult for the research engine. I will still suggest it.

cheesehead247365 #18 Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11968 battles
  • [-EZ-]
Thanks for posting this stuff minitel.  Very cool and will be useful I'm sure. 

_Cletus #19 Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 23893 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Postminitel_NA, on 21 February 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

yeah and that’s the issue, we barely have enough games for some damage maps. Cutting it down into smaller subset wouldn’t leave much to see, unfortunately.

I thought I had mentioned it before, but for similar purposes, I tend to look for specific playernames and either tanks or maps in the replay database and watch a few games directly, taking cues off of what they do. maybe just a switch “unicum” in the database could do that more easily, but I know that will make things difficult for the research engine. I will still suggest it.

It's a direction to grow in the future.  Plus I bet this thread will get you more replays.  And if forumers try to spread the word to their clans, friends, neighbors, and co-workers you may end up with a pretty large data set one day.

sFkBFSc.jpg

minitel_NA #20 Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Postbg2b, on 21 February 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

I think he means maps showing where shots start and where they hit, i.e., you'd start to see common firing lines.

ah I see. Seeing both origin and destination of each shot with a trajectory, rather than just the end result.

yeah it would be nice and we have had talks about it, at first I had complex ideas about how to implement it. 

but you know what ? now that you have reminded me how about these shots are color coded according to tank class ? We could see if long range shots are the typical td shots, close range brawling are more meds and heavies, and so on. I like that.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users