BEST! Tier 8 MEDIUM! FEB. 2019

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Dark_Magician_Girl #1 Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 36384 battles
  • [_STR8]

Welcome back to another update in the BEST series!  Today I will be going over the seemingly bland pallet that is tier 8 mediums.

I will provide my own thoughts on the "best" tier 8 medium tanks and I apologize in advance if your favorite tier 8 medium is at the bottom of the list. This is purely my opinion, and you are free to put in your input.  Hope you enjoy! (See spoiler)

See how things have changed! Found below is the original list for this specific topic, written over a year ago!

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/86324-best-tier-8-medium/page__fromsearch__1

*Note: Reviews are done in the style of WoTLabs.  

What do you think is the best tier 8 medium?  Let me know!

~DMG

Spoiler

Edited by Dark_Magician_Girl, 25 February 2019 - 12:27 AM.

I am now the #1 ranked E75 on the NA server!

dayton07277 #2 Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

(SMH)

• Players
  • 25484 battles
  • [CROWN]
It sure isn't the fking Pershing.

Player_5773117413 #3 Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 29595 battles
  • [SPUD]

T-44 better than a Mod1? Super Pershing in full potato? The latter might not be good at the medium role, but it is certainly not a tank that you'd wanna brawl with. Even full on skrubs can carry matches late stage with that thing.

With the prammo alpha getting cut a while back, armor regained some of its importance and these two are class leaders in terms of that. Maybe the unicum perspective focuses on other things but as far as usable tanks for the majority of the player base, the mod1 and super persh should be ranked higher. My :coin::coin:

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

Dan_Deerso #4 Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24970 battles
  • [III]

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 24 February 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Shut your mouth and delete what you wrote, the Chi-Ri undoubtedly sucks.

Haven't played it in a while, what makes the Chi bad?

Dark_Magician_Girl #5 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 36384 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 24 February 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

Haven't played it in a while, what makes the Chi bad?

Large profile.  No armor. Slow.  At a tier where you will see large derps whether bottom or top tier.  Anyways, this is more about tier 8 mediums.

I am now the #1 ranked E75 on the NA server!

1FREEDOM_FIGHTER_1776 #6 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5593 battles
  • [YWING]
MOD 1 is still OP! i just got one and have 75% WR and 1.8k average damage with 140 battles

anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2 #7 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

In terms of tier 8 medium tanks... I think you are not very precise.

T-44 can be said to be good all you want, but Type 59 will club a T-44 any day of the week because it will bounce T-44 shot or force it to fire gold. Even then the Type 59 has a big advantage.

T-44 is the tank that has been obsolete ever since Type 59 was added, and it seems to be staying that way. At least it can pack a novelty 122mm gun capable of snap shots though.

Saying STA-1 is good is like saying Type 61 is good and... Its really not good unless you are farming idiots.

Generally I think you are over rating very specific tanks, most of them being the main tech tree tanks.

Type 59 and T-54 mod 1 are seemingly the only remotely competitive medium tank options on your listing.

Speaking of Chi Ri, it is probably a better experience tier for tier than the STA-1, whose only remarkable features are gun penetration combined with gun depression.

Compared to Panther II, it is mostly a worse support tank, except for the armor penetration. I do not think it is fair to complain about Chi Ri so much and discount STA-1 issues.

Dan_Deerso #8 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24970 battles
  • [III]

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 24 February 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

Large profile.  No armor. Slow.  At a tier where you will see large derps whether bottom or top tier.  Anyways, this is more about tier 8 mediums.

Fair, but to be honest, they're all pretty boring/vanilla. I can see you splitting hairs just to get some sort of division between potato division tanks and the play for fun division, and while that's entirely Wargaming's fault, it's just not all that interesting. I wish they would take some of those tanks and give them each something unique or at least something to make two or three distinct subcategories of mediums at that tier. In my eyes, they're all just different flavors of the same two tanks.

Get a Type 59 and an Indien Panzer in your garage and you've basically played every tier 8 (non-autoloader) medium tank in the game, change my mind.

anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2 #9 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDan_Deerso, on 24 February 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

Fair, but to be honest, they're all pretty boring/vanilla. I can see you splitting hairs just to get some sort of division between potato division tanks and the play for fun division, and while that's entirely Wargaming's fault, it's just not all that interesting. I wish they would take some of those tanks and give them each something unique or at least something to make two or three distinct subcategories of mediums at that tier. In my eyes, they're all just different flavors of the same two tanks.

Get a Type 59 and an Indien Panzer in your garage and you've basically played every tier 8 (non-autoloader) medium tank in the game, change my mind.

Comparing Type 59 to T-44 & T-44-100 is a travesty of some pretty high levels.

Indien is basically Tiger I with a little bit more flex and armor at tier 8. More indicative of how stupidly powerful Tiger I is now but whatever.

I already have ideas to make them work.

Dan_Deerso #10 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 24970 battles
  • [III]

View PostOicraftian, on 24 February 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Comparing Type 59 to T-44 & T-44-100 is a travesty of some pretty high levels.

Indien is basically Tiger I with a little bit more flex and armor at tier 8. More indicative of how stupidly powerful Tiger I is now but whatever.

I already have ideas to make them work.

I'm gonna put a blanket statement here, you can play every Type A tank the exact same and succeed, and you can play every Type B tank exactly the same and succeed. I acknowledge that each tank's playstyle has some slight differences (which is why the CDC is as the very end of the row, I was tempted to put it in "other" ), but if you were to play each tank in each category with minimal changes in playstyle, you would most likely perform about the same within MOE. Every single tank in these images is within about 10% of the base tank in nearly every category that would be noticed by the average player. THAT is my issue with tier 8 mediums. I want the whole tier to look more like the "other" category, as I don't believe you should have to have a "refined palette" to tell the difference in the tanks.

Type "A" tanks

Spoiler

Type "B" tanks

Spoiler

Type "Other" tanks

Spoiler

anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2 #11 Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDan_Deerso, on 24 February 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

I'm gonna put a blanket statement here, you can play every Type A tank the exact same and succeed, and you can play every Type B tank exactly the same and succeed. I acknowledge that each tank's playstyle has some slight differences (which is why the CDC is as the very end of the row, I was tempted to put it in "other" ), but if you were to play each tank in each category with minimal changes in playstyle, you would most likely perform about the same within MOE. Every single tank in these images is within about 10% of the base tank in nearly every category that would be noticed by the average player. THAT is my issue with tier 8 mediums. I want the whole tier to look more like the "other" category, as I don't believe you should have to have a "refined palette" to tell the difference in the tanks.

Type 59 says otherwise.

B row tanks tend to be better at pubs, PT II is more useful competitively than most of the B section tanks.

It is mostly true however. I invited you to the IOD to read the balance idea compilation, feel free to offer your opinions, its not as if WG will read it, but it was a lot I wrote from various times, so I felt it deserved posting as an example of more sound balance thinking

djhiz #12 Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:18 PM

Never Say Die

• Players
  • 19552 battles
  • [F2K]

If you can use it right, I think the T-34-2 and T-34-3 should be in the play for fun division. I say this because they are niche tanks. If you get into brawling, yeah; they'll often lose, but if you can trade effectively as well as minimize your opponent's DPM advantage (using baiting, cover, face-hugging, etc...), I don't think the tank has as few redeeming factors as you think.

I'll admit I'm biased because I love both of these tanks to death, but hey...

The higher alpha also has a sort of deterring element to it as well, although not as much as a heavy tank, etc...

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

Blartch #13 Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Causer of Unrest

• Players
  • 60335 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 24 February 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

I fully endorse this.  You completely get it.

Zuke76 #14 Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

Get zuked

• Players
  • 17660 battles
  • [FL-TH]
I slightly disagree with some of these but  think you underestimate the CDC a lot

conjay810 #15 Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

Meme Machine

• Players
  • 19423 battles
  • [TITAN]
Just got a Mod. 1 recently; have played many of the tanks on the list. Tier 8 mediums as a whole are unbelievably appalling other than the Mod.1 which is practically a heavy tank anyway. I can't think of why I would ever want to play a single one of these pieces of garbage; I would unironically rather fight IS-spam in my Type 62, which has an outright superior gun and better mobility than most of these tanks. Tier 7 and 9 medium tanks are generally very unique and enjoyable, but as previous comments note, all tier 8 mediums are unbelievably bland, balanced around the same base template, which simply needs a 10-20% power buff to equal the brilliant heavies and TDs that fill the tier.

Best Tier 8 Tank Rankings - Best Tier 9 Tank Rankings - I disagree with a lot of my own assessments now

E100(complete)-JPZE100(complete)-E50M- GUIDE (complete)-T110E5(complete)-M48 Patton(Complete)-T-62A/OBJ140 (T-62A purchased)-IS-7 (complete)-Leopard 1 (Complete)-IS-4 (KV-4 complete)-T110E4 (T30 complete)-T110E3 (T25 AT complete)-B-C 25t (B-C 25t complete)

Premiums: IS-3 Defender, Glacial 112, T-44-100, T-54 Mod. 1, Type 62, T23E3, Helsing HO, M6A2E1, Cromwell B, SU-100Y, Shinobi

Defaultz #16 Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

Yolos get you Kolos

• Players
  • 29804 battles
  • [_V_]
Swap Pershing and CDC. CDC farms like absolute crazy, and it can bully just about all light tanks with its weight. Pershing gets tossed around by KV-4s these days.

minitel_NA #17 Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

Am I sensing someone who is trying to get controversial on some tanks ?

the only thing I can say about the tier8 mediums is that they are boring. 

All of them.

the Russian twice as much.

scrap that. The French are fun.

cdc, Fun.

Fcm, fun.

lorraine, I don’t have it but 4 clip sounds like fun.

Edited by minitel_NA, 24 February 2019 - 11:39 PM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

__Frostbite #18 Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:39 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 23598 battles

I feel like Dan nailed it on the head with his post. I pretty much have nothing else to say besides that the T-34-3 should have been in the Type A category. 

As for the original post, I do kinda disagree with a few of the rankings. Sure, the Dracula does some things better than the CDC, but the Drac is borderline overpowered anyways. But anyways, what does the STA-1 offer that the CDC doesn't? 

STA Advantages: 

-better bloom on movement

-better prammo pen (although the CDC's 257 is perfectly fine)

-non HE-able frontal armor

-smaller

CDC Advantages: 

-better acceleration

-better top speed

-better DPM

-better aim time

-better dispersion

-makes insane credits

If I can't convince you that the CDC is better than the STA-1, at least regard the CDC to be equal, while slightly different. So why is the CDC in the Potato Division, and the STA-1 in the Stat Padder Division? At the same time, who pads stats with an M26 Pershing? 

Personally, I'd put the CDC in the Play for Fun division, and the STA-1 and the Pershing in the Potato Division because they're just powercreeped beyond belief. I know that they're not necessarily bad tanks, but they have no place in the current medium meta at Tier 8, even in Dan's Type B category. 

I definitely agree with the latter tank placements. 

Find me on the official Blitz discord server or send me a PM on the forums if you want to contact me. I quit playing. Yeah.

xxblitzburghxx #19 Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

Away From Keyboard

• Players
  • 67164 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Any tank sucks with a noob in it

BAR_001 #20 Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26018 battles
  • [HAHA]

Placing the CDC in full potato division because it doesnt hold up to the standard of a tier 8 Drac is just wrong. Drac is still op as hell, they just dont compare well. But that doesnt mean the CDC sucks.

And the M-26 a stat padder? Wow. I agree with others that these two are backwards.

Edited by BAR_001, 25 February 2019 - 03:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users