Something has Changed (Unintended Experiment)

Tier Six teams MM?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

TonnerreCadien #1 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

Cabri dans le Maïs

• Players
  • 44508 battles
  • [HAHA]

Dear Forumers,

Before 5.5 I decided to buy back a bunch of tanks that I used to have in the garage before they were to become "collector" tanks. Apparently I have dyslexia, because I was convinced the M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy 8" was going to become a "collector" tank (as you all know, it was the Jumbo, not the Easy 8, that became a collector model).

Long story short, I had the darn thing sitting in my garage gathering dust, and I hadn't played it since November 2015, so I decided, wth, why not take it for a spin? Attached below are what the 36 battles I've done with it in 2019 look like, and you can compare it to my overall record, which, aside from those 36 battles, entirely took place when I was a newbie newb back in 2015.

Spoiler

Look, I know I am not that great of a player. I have low spots, yet I also tend to overextend [how the heck does that work? - it's the opposite of Van Hagar - it's the "worst of both worlds"]. I am not so good about resetting camo (or, I'll think it's reset, but neglect to realize there's a red parked near me, so I can't reset - this chalks up to poor map awareness, another of my weaknesses). My game remains, since May 2015, a work in progress.

Here's the thing, though. I know I am much better player now than I was in 2015. You can tell I am a better Easy 8 driver, for example - note that while far from perfect, for every statistic I am better now than my Easy 8 average. Except for one big, glaring, exception. WIN RATE.

So either the matchmaking or something else "under the hood" has been changed? Perhaps there are many more op tier VII tanks running around now? But there is no way I should be doing better in a tank and yet winning less. I know some of you will disagree, but I think a sample size of 36 is sufficient to say something about it.

I suppose the other explanation is that the playerbase is worse, but I hate that explanation. What is going on? Any ideas? Comments? I have tin foil!

Edited by TonnerreCadien, 20 March 2019 - 02:23 PM.

yN3tBqs.jpg

I'm too old to be a seal clubber! I can't tell you the last time I even went to a club!

"Go back to tier III!" - Every stat-fetisher who ever got salty with me in post-game chat

Des fois ce jeu est laid comme un coin de banquette, laisses-mon te dire...

SpartacusDiablo #2 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 22589 battles
  • [III-R]
Caliber of players is down.
OP nature of tier 7 is up.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

Sepp_Ulrich #3 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 36640 battles
  • [21DAK]
It’s the player base, that is worse than ever. In my case, last 100 battles I made 50% more damage that the damaged received, I killed more reds than I was destroyed (killed 2 tanks for each one I was destroyed). No matter that, I lost more battles than I won. And most of them, I was the last one to die. So, in my case, it’s the horrible players I am paired with. Thanks to new MM.
The Angel of Verdun

acrisis #4 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]
It still takes somewhat of a team to win a battle, factor in the player base going down hill, being low tier, nerfs to some tanks, buffs to others, OP +1 tanks being released ... one can put blue, dark blue and purple numbers down, but still be below 50% in a vehicle, if those wins don't materialize. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Silver_Lions #5 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

Illegitimi non Carborundum

• Players
  • 19450 battles
  • [GHOST]

Tonn,    In previous threads, i have posited that no one has an “individual” rigged MM agianst them.  It would be near impossible for WOTB/WG to rig anything against an individual player...........which is why the have pickled MM to be discriminate against an entire group of players, ie, Over 12,000 battles?  Over 52% winrate?,  well lets adjust your RNG to water balloon effectiveness, and lets see how you make out by assigning this group a minimum of two 41%ers with brand new bought Premiums every battle.  

This is why the forums have been screaming about loss of winrate amongst the veteran players.  My RNG is in the toilet, and C6 lets it known that RNG, Pen values were changed “ recently” by WOTB.   Do you honestly think that the 44% player who has about 2,000 battles is bouncing shells off a light tank who has about 10 hp left?  I know I am.  If not bouncing, just flat out disappearing.  Better yet, I need to see a shell hit outside the bloom reticle on a 50 meter shot, again and again......its not just me, or you, they got most of us....

ShootinSabot #6 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 19626 battles
  • [SPUDX]
I am not going to complain about the playerbase, I think that topic has been well covered for the last few years. I think your recent sample size is to small to really gage your improved driving abilities. The common accepted wisdom is that you should have at least 100 battles in a vehicle to get a true indication of your abilities in that vehicle and so 36 may not be enough to gage properly. 

Full time Spud, part time potato 

Striving to be an Ambassador to help grow the game. 

crpl_hicks #7 Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5438 battles
  • [KOP]

View Postacrisis, on 20 March 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

It still takes somewhat of a team to win a battle,

This.  Ive always believed this is a TEAM game, no different than the nfl, nhl, nba.....ect.  Sure they all have a superstar, but they cant do it alone, not consitently.  It's tough enough to fight 7 reds but then add on the lackluster effort of team mates....

So when I hear, "carry harder", it makes my oil boil.  But hey what do I know, I'm  just a Grunt.

I wanna introduce you to a personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher.

NICKEL_AND_DIME #8 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 52329 battles
  • [III]

A sample size of 36 is decent, but honestly I think after not playing any tank for that long, I need at least a dozen battles in it to re-familiarize myself to it. 

Since I came back after a few months off, I have been trying to let go of the metrics commonly used to measure success and improvement in this game, as the random team impact (combined with my lack of dedication to the game) have been more of a factor than anything else.

_Cletus #9 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 22472 battles
  • [HAHA]
I think that something might be going on, maybe.  For me, my winrate in everything died through from mid december to mid february.  It was horrible, I tried everything to raise it.  And then, suddenly, everything got better.  I don't know if WG was experimenting, if I had a run of bad luck, or if I was messing up my traditional voodoo chicken sacrificing ritual.  Personally, I think if WG was running an experiment, they were messing with my RNG.  I couldn't land shots, and the ones that landed didn't pen.  Again, it could have been me, maybe my game was just off.  My thumb could have been going through a growth spurt.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar by crpl_hicks

A good heavy driver knows how to make shots bounce off their armor, how to use cover while fighting at the front, when to get out there and just take the shot to protect his team, to keep the reds attention focused so his team can flank, and to consistently do damage while all of that happens.  

Gavidoc01 #10 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 39292 battles
  • [III]

Remember that no matter what you do, MM will always cause on average for you to lose 30% of your games. It is possible you are currently caught up in the middle of one of those draughts. Happens to all of us. 

As an example, in the ISU-130 tier VIII TD over 9 battles, I have a Unicum W8, average over 2k damage a battle, 1.44 kills per battle, 2.17 kill to death ratio and a 2.70 damage ratio. I won 3 of those 9 battles.

I've been trying to get the SU-152 to 60% Wr. and have hit the same draught in that tank. When I hit 59.65% (averaging a 70% WR in it) I dropped to 58.2% over the span of 30 games and in the last 140 games I'm averaging a 57% WR. 

Edited by Gavidoc01, 20 March 2019 - 03:41 PM.

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

jgiambr #11 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30916 battles
  • [INRI]
I think WG is handicapping players with 5000+ games. Since 5.5 I am seeing shots do no damage when they should do damage on a regular basis. Point blank shots against the side of a hellcat from 30m away should pen. Now if you go on their Discord server they will say the only constant is you and learn the game blah, blah, bah. There have been numerous threads from veterans essentially saying the same thing why is it so hard to win now? You tubers who have played a long time have noticed it also. We didn't all just wake up one morning after 5.5 dropped and all decided to suck at this game. The terrible player base is part of it but that has always been the case. They changed something else during 5.5 to put vets at a disadvantage so newbs can enjoy this game more and then spend more.  We were all newbs at one time and received no such advantage. Has anyone noticed the NA server population is at an all time low?  It used to be 8-10k nightly now it is around 4k nightly.  They knew they would lose vets with the changes in 5.5 but they hoped they would replace them with newbs but that has not happened. It is no coincidence that suddenly gold advertisements are back working for everybody. I am not spending any money on this game until we are back to a level playing field. Life is tough as a newb, I get it, but we all had to go through it. If they truly want to get better they will take the time to research and get better. There is no need for WG to hold their hand. 

Edited by jgiambr, 20 March 2019 - 03:47 PM.

__Crusader6__ #12 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 58625 battles
  • [-C6-]

Op, 4 months ago I had a nearly impossible 37% WR over 56 games in my M48 Patoon.  2,700+ avg dmg 2.44 spot rate - a DR of 2.1 and a K/D ration of 1.9    

56 games, so you don’t sweat it.  

But remember your map awareness.   Situational Awareness wins more games 

Tank Hoarder: 365 tanks in Garage:  366/368 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner
I think 5.5 was good for the game - But I also want my Kenny OP nerfed. 
Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

minitel_NA #13 Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 20 March 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

Op, 4 months ago I had a nearly impossible 37% WR over 56 games in my M48 Patoon.  2,700+ avg dmg 2.44 spot rate - a DR of 2.1 and a K/D ration of 1.9    

56 games, so you don’t sweat it.  

But remember your map awareness.   Situational Awareness wins more games 

I went through many of these. Currently AMX 50B

was super unicum with dicker max for a while. Sub 40%er.

OP u might have just hit a bad series. Also u might have jumped from say an AMX13 or a vk100 grind just to jump in the easy8 and figure out its not that easy. Finally, few years back you could push alone and get 50% hero winrate. Now u do the exact same thing and u get a 44% junk rating winrate. Not because the player base is qualitatively worst. But because the current game punish risk taking much more.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

__Crusader6__ #14 Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:15 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 58625 battles
  • [-C6-]

Tier 6 also has a slew of KV-2’s.  That troll bounces by your E8 and then fluke a snap shot one shot. 

*I hate the KV-2 

Tank Hoarder: 365 tanks in Garage:  366/368 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner

crpl_hicks #15 Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5438 battles
  • [KOP]

This reminds me of my university days of grading on the curve, because we were told it was statistically impossible to have a class of brainiacs or morons.

So WG manipulates the MM and creates their version of a curve?

Edited by crpl_hicks, 20 March 2019 - 05:22 PM.

I wanna introduce you to a personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher.

Player_39363936 #16 Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 66726 battles
  • [EWENS]

There are so many bad players.

You have so many players that will just sit out in the open, and not even react to the fact that they’re getting shot.

The idea of getting cover when they get spotted doesn’t even exist for these people.

__Crusader6__ #17 Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:17 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 58625 battles
  • [-C6-]

3.8 equipment and 5.5 changes have made a lot of players frustrated. 

It’s harder to carry a lot of games, at least in fun tanks. 

FlammeumDraco333 #18 Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

18 Y.O. Boomer

• Players
  • 15306 battles
  • [META]

Decrease in the quality of the playerbase and being matched against OP Tier VII premiums is likely the reason here.

This is why I've stuck to mad games as much as possible. Free tank XP for stock tanks without affecting win-rate is a win in my book, even if the teams are utter poop...

View PostSystemrename, on 03 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Whatever, since people seem content with the plain oleophobic coating and dragging their meaty, calloused workman's thumbs around like proto-lizards sliding up out of the primordial ooze onto dry land, it's just more for me.  I'm happy to float on fiber and run circles around you filthy casuals. Eat my dust, snail thumbs.

Sauce

If þou hæst ane anime līcnesse, þīne opinīoun mēneþ no-þing.

DickerDallas #19 Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31899 battles

You pointed out that you're dying frequently, and your drop in survival rate across all tanks reflects that (47% career vs. 41% last 30).  Make survival a focus.  Dying early can be from several factors such as; leading the team in the right direction but wrong spot, an over-estimation of your armor profile, or even an over-reliance of your team to back you up on a "make or break" push.  Be more opportunistic.  There are a lot of topics on how to survive and keep your gun in the game longer.  Figure that out and your stats will increase across the board.

Whiskey_Upsurge #20 Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 37965 battles
  • [SPUDX]

It's simple. It's no longer a game where your skill is the main determining factor on your WR. It's manipulated in a cyclical manner.

My 30 WR always used to be a gentle undulation up and down within a 1-2% range. Now, it's a 12% wild swing that is cyclical. It'll bounce from Combination of manipulation to RNG, gun dispersion, and pen. Those factors, they can always say that you were "unlucky" without ever disclosing any intentional manipulation and you'll never be able to "prove" otherwise. Combine that with maybe manipulating MM and there is definitely predetermined factor meant to make it harder for you to win at times that was never there before late January or so.  

I don't think it's the player base per se, as I don't feel that we have more stupid people in the world all of a sudden. We all saw new players rush through the tiers, I don't think accelerating that process changed the games this dramatically. BUT, taking said player base and manipulating the randomness of who gets on which team could could be a factor so that now, the stupid players have a more or less likely chance of winding up on your team during periods of time.

As someone who tries their hardest to win every game I enter and have made attempts to get better at the game, it takes the fun out of it to feel like the wins/losses are more out of the individuals control than they used to be.

Inspiration for WriterDude's forum Signature is my single greatest accomplishment since starting to play Blitz! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users