MadGames MilitaryHonor Chat Ragers LittleBabies Racism

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Ookla_the_Mok #1 Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:13 AM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28026 battles
  • [BRSKT]

There has been umpteen threads about Military Honor and they often contain a mix of cogent argument and nonsensical ranting. Personally, I've had mixed feelings about it with my primarily complaint being that WG has largely abdicated responsibility for issuing appropriate bans as they let the system play out. 

However, Mad Games has shown Military Honor worked to tamp down the worst conduct in battle chat. As you know, Mad Games does not feature up or down votes. It is easy to see why WG decided to eliminate the up/down given the wild nature of the battles. I would argue that it could have been modified, but that is a thread for another time.

What cannot be debated is that the level of discourse in battle chat (now free from consequences*) is, ummmm, quite low. Rage and chat spam are doubled or tripled. Worse, overt racism and other forms of the powerless exerting influence in a stupid game is through the roof. I had three games out of six feature the n-word. None of the players using the word were duplicated. In two of the games multiple players went on offensive tirades. Apparently "retard" is huge with the subset of tankers that find battle chat a place for diatribes.

It was nice to see folks I know in game and joke around here and there. The utility of battle chat, however, was nil as it was spammed with garbage and became little more than an annoyance on my screen. Thanks WG for allowing me to turn chat off as will remain my chosen setting for the duration of Mad Games.

Debate the merits or flaws of Military Honor all you want, but it was serving as a deterrent and evidence of its effectiveness only requires a dozen games where downvotes do not exist.

*Yes, their could be consequences if players submit multiple tickets with replays and go through the entire follow up. If any consequences are given it will be a minimal penalty and the reporter will end up experiencing more hassle than the reportee. Military Honor (to its benefit and detriment) is primarily a streamlined reporting system. With the increased burden of navigating the ticket system, racist/garbage people know they can say whatever they want in chat with almost no risk of penalty.

On the plus side, I had somehow forgotten how serene playing with no chat can be and I now tank in silence.

[BRSKT] may or may not be recruiting you. 

Our Discord is now 72% Gritty content.

Dark_Magician_Girl #2 Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:41 AM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 32163 battles
  • [_STR8]
In my experience it has not changed at all.

I am now the #1 ranked E75 on the NA server!

Player_5773117413 #3 Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:53 AM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 27923 battles
  • [IRD]
Heck yea MH works to punish. The effect of upvotes is negligible, but like you said, too many downvotes serve as a deterrent to dumb chat. Then there are the downvotes for AFKs. I like using those...

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #4 Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10712 battles
  • [COD]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 20 March 2019 - 09:13 PM, said:

. . . the level of discourse in battle chat (now free from consequences*) . . .

What consequences are you referring to? Those which, if they arrive at all even after over a dozen downvotes, have literally no effect?

rosgrim #5 Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:49 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 63187 battles
  • [COD]

No MH is useless even for provocative chat. Too often players that deserve a chat ban don't get it just for causality (you need 2 players give them the down) and too often players get down voted for provocative to say something not even censured (like move, useless, nub, worthless etc) while the real pro troll stay safe.

And even if they will need severals down vote in a short period of time to get a chat ban.

Do you want an effective way to eliminate the provocative chat ?

Now we have replay and it is so easy to get a screenshot even after the battle.

Allow to submit easy and fast ticket (no text is necessary just the screenshot) with a dedicated ticket on the WOTB website and make "1 equal 1" that is 1 case of provocative (but the real provocative: insults, racial, mother and family, trash talking etc) you get 1 chat ban.

Simply like that.

I can guarantee the problem will be solved. And also the work WOTB has to do is a no problem. Why ? because after probably 1 week nobody will insult others.

Then if some get offended by innocent "nub" or "useless" the problem is himself: probably he never participated to a game, sport etc.

Edited by rosgrim, 21 March 2019 - 04:52 AM.

DestructSean #6 Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 93 battles

I do not doubt OP’s observations in the Mad Games, but I have not seen the same. I’ve played every night since it started and have only seen one person make a semi-inflammatory comment. I figured there is less raging because it doesn’t count against your win rate. Unfortunately, win rate is the currency in blitz. When people take a hit to their win rate, you may as well be taking money out their pockets.

Sorry you had a bad experience Ookla. I ended tonight thinking how great it’s been to play the last few nights with no one crying and screaming because a battle didn’t go their way.

zeur0sis #7 Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23631 battles
  • [-1]
I have not noticed any difference, better or worse.  

"Mm sucks just like u r face.    Now Go cry on tissue not here." ~ raj

HugGigolo #8 Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19630 battles
  • [AGILE]
I noticed this in the previous Mad Games, it definitely has a chilling effect on a lot of players. In particular it seems to chill a lot of the race-based comments as OP noted. MH may not be very effective at identifying and punishing offenders, but a lot of people don't seem to know that.

Bachus131 #9 Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20655 battles
  • [JAWZ]
I have seen a slight increase in the chat violations but the TROLLS are congregating in made games pushing people into fire, ramming teammates ( not to heal them ) and blocking shots ( on purpose) because they know there are no consequences.  So although the MH had little effect it does do some good to deter the trolls.
'Don't follow the lights, they will lead you to your DOOM'  ( Gollum )

RonaldReagan #10 Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3244 battles
  • [TRUMP]
Not that I am Pro-troll in any way. But seriously, some of you guys need to grow a thicker skin and stop looking for things to be offended over. Seriously cannot take a "your mom" joke? If you cannot function after a little harassment or teasing I honestly feel bad for you. 

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #11 Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10712 battles
  • [COD]

View PostBachus131, on 21 March 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

I have seen a slight increase in the chat violations but the TROLLS are congregating in made games pushing people into fire, ramming teammates ( not to heal them ) and blocking shots ( on purpose) because they know there are no consequences.  So although the MH had little effect it does do some good to deter the trolls.

Once again—what "consequences" are there when MH is in place?

Ookla_the_Mok #12 Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28026 battles
  • [BRSKT]
I have to love the irony that posts were removed from this thread. Not sure how many, but I know my removed post did not approach any violation of EULA or forum rules. WG continues to have a dysfunctional relationship with basic moderation/policing.

acrisis #13 Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20278 battles
  • [III-X]

You may want to brush up on Forum Rules 2.1 Etiquette.

You derailed your own thread when you started typing *asteriskses* and making unfounded accusations against somebody else. 

WG cleaned up all replies starting with yours. 

And, now you're complaining about moderation? 

Can't make this stuff up. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Ookla_the_Mok #14 Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28026 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Postacrisis, on 21 March 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

You may want to brush up on Forum Rules 2.1 Etiquette.

You derailed your own thread when you started typing *asteriskses* and making unfounded accusations against somebody else. 

WG cleaned up all replies starting with yours. 

And, now you're complaining about moderation? 

Can't make this stuff up. 

Just read 2.1 again. It would take an interpretation that would render nearly any disagreement "in violation" to slot my post into a violation. I made no accusation other than enabling and dismissing racist language is an approach that perpetuates said behavior. My asterisks were just that - no avoidance of the filter and I did not even have a word in mind. My post was direct and a tad snide. Anyone with access to the logs (I have to assume they exist) could check for themselves.

acrisis #15 Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20278 battles
  • [III-X]

Well, it is what it is ... You were intentionally very direct, whether you typed the *** or the computer did, it was probably a bit too direct. 

Several people politely went?  Your reply and theirs got snipped.

I’m happy the forum turned a corner and there is less trolling, animosity, etc 

So, let’s not blow it out of proportion. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Ookla_the_Mok #16 Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28026 battles
  • [BRSKT]
I do not know what posts occurred after mine. I did receive a message from a poster in this thread so I assume something happened. I can see the merit in cutting the "derail" back in a manner that may not see individual posts as a violation. Overall, I was/am more amused than anything.

Also tagged with MadGames, MilitaryHonor, Chat, Ragers, LittleBabies, Racism

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users