• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

WipWapJaws #21 Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:39 AM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 44374 battles
  • [WKD]

View Postsnoozyalooz, on 21 April 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Thank you for sharing your perspective.  What does not settle well with me are the imbalances regardless of the player base related issues.  If the cause is the player base, then I would expect both my team and the other team to suffer equally because of this.  However, I do not experience that kind of balance in the battles I am a part of.  I still assert the MM has been altered to the detriment of the game, taking away some of the enjoyment that comes from a more balanced fight.  I say "more balanced" because perfectly balanced is not possible.  The only reason I am sharing this in the forum is the slim hope WOT might read this and consider what the player base is experiencing and thinking about.  

The imbalances u talk about are not because of the MM it’s because of the quality of the player pool.  MM just pulls players randomly from the pool. For example, say their are 14 people in the tier 9/X pool.  Of that 14, 4 players are in tier x tanks,  of those 4 players 2 are 60%+ players and the other two are in the low 40s.  The MM doesn’t look at the players WR but randomly assigns 2 tier x players to each team.  It just so happens that the two 60% players are on the same team both driving IS7s and the other two 40%ers are in PTAs. 

One team has two players experienced players in very strong tanks, the other has two below average players in tanks that require a high skill level to perform well in, skills that our 40%er are unlikely to have at this stage.

Now the MM. looks to fill out the remaining slots with tier 9 tanks.  If the remaining pool is a mix of experienced players with WR over 55% and more 40%er and the mm randomly assigns tier nine tank who’s player is above 55% to the team of unicorns and a 49% player to the other.  All of a sudden u have a team that has 3 above average players verses 3 players, 2 of whom are below average and one that is slightly above average.  That is half the team selected and one is already much stronger than the other, not because of the MM because of the quality of the player base.

What u see now is that one team that has slightly better players will often roll over teams because the less experienced players will often not know how to use their tanks most effectively (sitting at the back “sniping” in a heavy or rushing forward to spot in a TD) and this only gets worse when put under pressure and the experienced team pushes.  That is when teams will often just crumble.

Hope this makes sense as I have had a few too many chocolate eggs. If u have more questions I am happy to answer them

wrecker1968 #22 Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40395 battles
  • [HOUSE]
I might venture to say that WG has something to do with the player pool.

snoozyalooz #23 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 50384 battles
  • [YOTA]
Thanks.  I am ok with the explanation, just not the results of MM.  What I wonder is whether MM has changed.  It seems it has.  Does your explanation match the MM as it is, or as it has always been?  Just curious.

WipWapJaws #24 Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 44374 battles
  • [WKD]

View Postsnoozyalooz, on 22 April 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

Thanks.  I am ok with the explanation, just not the results of MM.  What I wonder is whether MM has changed.  It seems it has.  Does your explanation match the MM as it is, or as it has always been?  Just curious.

The MM has always been based on a random number generator.  The only thing that has changed are the rules that are imposed.   For instance it is now +1/-1 mm where it used to be +2/-2, another example are platoons now are +1/-1 where before there were no restrictions, u would see things like a Maus platooned with a tier 1 occasionally.  As I said before the MM principles are the same.  What has changed are the rules that the mm follows and the quality of players over all in the player base.

SpartacusDiablo #25 Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 21782 battles
  • [III-R]
Concerning the matchmaker.

As players we strive to improve. Now as we improve the game continues to change. Veterans leave and new players join. All the while (hopefully) you continue to improve. As you continue to improve and the game and playerbase change around you there is also a gradual change in your mindset. The better you get, the worse your teammates get.

Also as you climb up the tiers the margin for error shrinks. Things you could get away with in tier 4 no longer fly in tier 9.

As you improve your perception of the playerbase changes. In addition to this there is a definite learning curve as you move up the tiers in this game.

The game becomes more of a "team" game as you progress. The trick is learning how to use your "team" to its full potential...even when they are doing everything in their power to stop you from doing this.

Edited by SpartacusDiablo, 22 April 2019 - 12:43 PM.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

tpcshadow #26 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 29383 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostWipWapJaws, on 22 April 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

The MM has always been based on a random number generator.  The only thing that has changed are the rules that are imposed.   For instance it is now +1/-1 mm where it used to be +2/-2, another example are platoons now are +1/-1 where before there were no restrictions, u would see things like a Maus platooned with a tier 1 occasionally.  As I said before the MM principles are the same.  What has changed are the rules that the mm follows and the quality of players over all in the player base.

I think the problem people have is all of the "rules" are not fully explained anywhere. Some are, of course, like tiers and not too many TDs, etc. But Ribble explicitly stated in the MM thread that there are additional tweaks done for "more interesting game play" and not explicitly stated.  A while back I started tracking players or clans I recognized. I realized it wasn't unusual to see the same player in 8-10 matches over the course of 3-4 days, and have that player on the same team (red or green) 80+% of the time.  Recently had an in-game friend say the same thing - 90% of the time we are on opposite teams when we meet in game. There seems to be some factor that tends to make sure certain players are on the same or opposite teams. I don't think it's maliciously rigged, but these "interesting game play" tweaks may have unintended consequences (because we know WG would never allow bugs in their game like invisible tanks).

Unfortunately working against them is WG's terrible public relation skills. When have they ever been open or honest? Players don't expect the same company that gave out an M60 for "reasons" to now be truthful about MM. I still remember the "knocked down tree" camo issue - devs insisted that knocked down trees didn't give camo until Bushka posted a video proving that they do.

But we're basically all "Old Man Yells at Cloud" right now. NA doesn't matter to WG, you can tell from the level of actual support this forum gets and the level of robot responsiveness from tickets. So rant to get it out of your system, but nothing will change.

Death2_40_percentrs #27 Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 168 battles
  • [CAK]

View PostTonnerreCadien, on 19 April 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

Dear Ribble, or whoever else at WG might read this:

I have a few complaints. Hopefully I won't sound too whiny. Thanks for listening.

1. We need a little more transparency on matchmaking. While the unicums deny it, it is clear to me and many other mediocre veterans that the mm has changed in the last few months. Please update your statement on what is, and what is not, included in mm. I believe I am only put in the bottom tier due to who's playing what on the server like I believe in Santa Claus. I don't like being lied to.

2. Stop with the fantasy tanks. I suppose they sell, but they violate the spirit of the game, and when they're op, it's even worse. We needed a punk rock KV-2 in tier VII like we needed a hole in our heads.

3. I think the nerfing of the lower tiers was a complete failure. I had already stopped playing in what had been my tier of choice, tier III, a long time ago, but the way you've made it now, no one will stick with the game. Heaven forbid if we veteran players want to grind a new line from the bottom - we will be in a separate queue, and then, if we're lucky enough to actually get a match, we have to play in these neutered slow-moving pea shooters? If new player retention is not already dropping like a stone, I'll eat my hat.

4. Balancing. Tier VI, one of my favorite tiers, is a wreck right now because of all the op collector tanks you've dumped into tier VII. Therefore that whole tier needs reworking, which will mean you need to rework V to keep it competitive with VI. Then IV will need a buff, etc., etc.... the law of unintended consequences.

5. Relative to No. 4 above, if you could make the game like it was pre-3.8, that would be ideal. We don't need all the crazy equipment slots, etc. It's overly complicated and pretty much useless.

6. High tier mediums need a buff.

7. Two of the newish maps need to be 86ed, badly. Dynasty Pearl (not sure if that's its name in English, as I play in French) and Faust should be tossed in the rubbish bin, and whoever they were designed by should be slapped sixteen times with a wet noodle.

There's more, but I think I've said enough. Thanks for hearing me out. 

Agreed to all

Edited by Death2_40_percentrs, 30 April 2019 - 04:25 PM.

Also tagged with Suggestions, 86, shredder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users