stats improving

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

FlammeumDraco333 #1 Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

18 Y.O. Boomer

• Players
  • 15306 battles
  • [META]

I'm sure a few of you know who I am, or have seen me around on the forums or in game. I'm definitely not a unicum player, but I would say I'm definitely not bad, either (61.47% WR, 1198 avg dmg).

Now, I used to be REALLY, really bad, hovering around the 45% region. Fortunately, some friends of mine from another community directed me here and gave me some advice themselves, and I was quickly able to turn around from that abhorrent state.

However, recently, I've found that I've "leveled off". My WR isn't going up (my 30 day WR is actually a bit lower, but I chock this up to rustiness, as I just came off of a year long hiatus, and an extremely unstable internet connection (sometimes, my ISP decides that 200 ping just isn't enough, and thus spikes me up to the thousands, dunno why either)), my avg dmg is only a bit higher, due to playing higher tiers, and in other areas, I'm either the same or slightly above what I was before.

So my question is, how do I improve from this point? Obviously I need to play a bit more to "get back into it", and I also need to address my connection issues, but beyond that, I'm unsure. I am improving my map awareness, and playing WoWsB has definitely helped with this, but it's something I'm going to need to continue to work on. I already feel like I've mastered "the basics". I understand how to use my armor, where to go on various maps (not so much on some of the newer ones, but I'm figuring it out), where to shoot tanks, the strengths/weaknesses of the various tanks I play and how to exploit or compensate these, etc. I'm mainly interested in getting my Tier X stats to a "high" level and improving my Tier X gameplay, as I want to become more active in tournaments and clan activities into the future.

Here's my stats, if they should help you. https://www.blitzsta...lammeumDraco333

View PostSystemrename, on 03 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Whatever, since people seem content with the plain oleophobic coating and dragging their meaty, calloused workman's thumbs around like proto-lizards sliding up out of the primordial ooze onto dry land, it's just more for me.  I'm happy to float on fiber and run circles around you filthy casuals. Eat my dust, snail thumbs.

Sauce

If þou hæst ane anime līcnesse, þīne opinīoun mēneþ no-þing.

Blartch #2 Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

Causer of Unrest

• Players
  • 61220 battles
  • [BRSKT]

How you improve from this point is pretty simple, but not necessarily easy...

Here it comes....

...you find other actual life skill areas to work on and develop.

Face it... your, my, even the "pro" gamers' payoff from this game is very, very, very limited... what was it... literally months worth of rated game manipulation for one of the big clans to garner roughly $10 worth of prizes?

F that noise.  Play it for occasional gits and shiggles and otherwise keep it as it was intended, a toilet time waster.

Pick any one of these areas... if you're not at least "50%" in these, work on it until you are.

And that's how you get better, Charlie Brown.

• basic economic literacy

• teach what you know to others with confidence

• identify edible and dangerous plants in your area

• Grow plants and propagate them

• Safely use firearms

• Use basic hand tools (mechanical and wood working)

• Use basic power tools (drill, saws, etc.)

• Cook (this doesn’t mean make Kraft mac and cheese)

• Catch fish

• argue a point with basic logic

• do laundry

• Self directed learning

• train a dog

• Basic self defense

• Basic entrepreneurial thinking

• How to use a shovel, a hoe, a pick and a rake

• Start a fire, keep it safe and put it out

• Repair and maintain a bicycle or other simple machine

• Practice basic first aid

• Safely use a ladder

•  

__Frostbite #3 Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:40 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25207 battles
  • [-0]
So when you're not doing all those useful activities above and you just want to play some tanks while taking a dumb on your throne, here's what I recommend.

-Map Awareness. I'm sure you've heard this before. To be honest, it's not the most important thing to be a unicum, I know plenty that are able to skate by with their other skills like snapping and positioning. You just need to have a basic understanding of where your team is, how you can support them in your location, and how they can support you from their location. This game is like chess, you don't want to be working an area where no one from your team can help you if something bad happens. Also, you need to be able to have an idea of where unspotted reds might be, but this is gained by playing battles and just having experience. What would you do if you were in their position?

-Positioning. This is huge. You need to be able to position your tank correctly for at least most matches or you will never be a unicum. Everyone can get a few shots off per game no matter where they drive, but if you want to be carrying your team or at least going top damage most of the time, you need to have areas on the map that you drive to which will allow you to get shots or spots on the reds. Of course, it's not just as simple as that. You also need to know when to go to these spots, not just drive to them when you want. I highly recommend grabbing a light tank and finding areas on the map that follow these requirements:
  •  Does this area have hard cover? If you get spotted, you're going to need hard cover to hide behind while you can safely reset your camo. Hard cover doesn't need to be a convienent rock or wall, it can be a slope you drive backwards down. 
  • Does this area have soft cover? Unless you like going into engagements with no tactical advantage, soft cover is going to be necessary. Even if you just want to get some spots and then drive away, you shouldn't be interested in allowing yourself to get spotted unless you have an advanced bait strategy. Also, if you're going for damage, allowing you to not be spotted until you fire means that you have a better chance of getting a sure shot into the side of a tank and you don't have to worry about having to go through frontally. It also allows you to aim in fully and not just make a snapshot. 
  • Does this area have an escape route? There are some really good positions where you can shots and spots on the map, but if you can't run away when you need to, you could potentially cost your team a valuable asset, especially if you're like the only medium on the team. Make sure that when you advance forward, that you can escape without dying. 
  • Does this area allow you to safely get shots off? Now, if this is just purely a spotting run and you're just doing some passive spotting, this isn't an issue. But most of the time, you're also going to want to do damage as well. Does this area allow your tank to physically get a shot off? It may work well with a tank with lots of gun depression, but you might not be able to use the spot with a Russian medium. Also, do you need to extend past the hard or soft cover to get shots off? Can you stay hulldown while taking shots, or do you have to expose your hull while doing it? You need to make sure the spot will work for the tank that you're driving, it may not just be a universal area where all tanks will perform well there. 

-Making Predictions. I'm just going to steal this from one of my older forum posts:
To be able to make predictions, you need to have at least, but you should really have both; of the following:

Prior knowledge is the first one. 

Best way to learn this: battle experience. People that have hit the "Battle!" button more have an advantage over people with less battles. They've seen more scenarios happen on the battlefield, they've played the maps more and have learned specific spots on the map for various tanks in order to help them carry out their role, they've played their tank more and are more comfortable with it, they have the game mechanics memorized, and they even recognize specific clans or players in battle.This is all why someone that sits down for the first time and plays Blitz HAS to do poorly in the beginning. Everyone starts as a noob. If you make a mistake in a game, hopefully you won't be making that mistake anymore. When you've played thousands of battles, you start to gain a sense of how something is going to play out. Even though there's no possible way to account for every single last scenario, by playing a lot, one will gain a sense of what is most likely going to happen, and will be able to set themselves (and hopefully their team as well) into a position where they can gain the upper hand. 
How to account for this without having the luxury of playing thousands of battles (i want to git gud RIGHT NOW): watch YouTube videos, read forum threads like this one, platoon with players with more game experience. Play tournaments! Honestly, having to call for a tournament team for a few months taught me more about strategy than I could have learned from playing public matches for a year. By participating on a tournament team, you're forced to learn specific map positions that are essential in carrying out the battle plan. Having to call forces you to make up a strategy which should be utilizing specific map positions. The more you built your team into playing more regularly, the better you'll carry out the strategy. 

Logic is the other part of this information.  
Best way to have logic: be smart. Seriously, you need to be able to rationalize situations quickly and get in the mindset of the enemy player. I realize that you can't just simulate an entire battle in your head while in battle, and why should anyone. I mean, you need some prior knowledge first (oh, a Comet platoon is capable of massive DPM) but then logic steps in later, when you see an enemy Comet platoon, the map is Middleburg, and the enemy team also has 2 others mediums and 1 extra light. You should realize that the Comets will be begging the team to go hills, because they can better utilize their turret armor and gun depression, and because they'll already have 5 tanks up on the hills already. That's a relatively simple logical prediction. 

-Challenge yourself. Set stat milestones that you want to meet by a certain point. For example, I'm trying to average 2700 damage at Tier 10. Another thing is to challenge yourself while in-game. Play mediums and lights at higher tiers, that's where the skills I mentioned above really come in handy. You won't learn a lot while playing a 183 or an IS-4.

-ALWAYS follow the fundamentals. You need to be consistent. Don't make stupid decisions, like over angling while sidescraping, going for that low health kill no matter what, etc. Take the time to set up the proper sidescrape. Poke above the hill behind a bush, not just anywhere. Just shoot AP at the side of a Batchat if you're 200 meters away, not HE. When you're 6th sense is screaming at you to turn around, just follow your instinct. 

-Get involved with the community. Join some Discord servers. Chat around and discuss. Play in tournaments. Get some friends together and make some strats for maps. Try calling for a team. The more competitive your mind is thinking, whether it's a public match or tournament, the more you will be focused on winning and playing for the team, not the pixel stats. 

Hope that helps!! 

Maverick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARandomGenieGuy #4 Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18072 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Im on the same spot as you but I guess Maverick gave a really solid explanation. 

FlammeumDraco333 #5 Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:26 PM

18 Y.O. Boomer

• Players
  • 15306 battles
  • [META]

View PostBlartch, on 20 April 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

• basic economic literacy - check
  • teach what you know to others with confidence - check
  • identify edible and dangerous plants in your area - check
  • Grow plants and propagate them - check
  • Safely use firearms - check
  • Use basic hand tools (mechanical and wood working) - check
  • Use basic power tools (drill, saws, etc.) - check
  • Cook (this doesn’t mean make Kraft mac and cheese) - I used to, probably need to brush up
  • Catch fish - check
  • argue a point with basic logic - check
  • do laundry - check
  • Self directed learning - check
  • train a dog - I used to, probably need to brush up
  • Basic self defense - check
  • Basic entrepreneurial thinking - check
  • How to use a shovel, a hoe, a pick and a rake - check
  • Start a fire, keep it safe and put it out - check
  • Repair and maintain a bicycle or other simple machine - Machines and I DO NOT get along whatsoever.
  • Practice basic first aid - check
  • Safely use a ladder - I know how to, I just choose not to

I'd say I'm doing pretty good...

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 20 April 2019 - 05:40 PM, said:

Wow, thank you! I'll have to keep these in mind.

I think that a lot of my problem is my rustiness. The game has changed a lot in the past year, and a lot of the metas, map strategies, tank statistics, etc. have changed since I last played a lot.

View PostSystemrename, on 03 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Whatever, since people seem content with the plain oleophobic coating and dragging their meaty, calloused workman's thumbs around like proto-lizards sliding up out of the primordial ooze onto dry land, it's just more for me.  I'm happy to float on fiber and run circles around you filthy casuals. Eat my dust, snail thumbs.

Sauce

If þou hæst ane anime līcnesse, þīne opinīoun mēneþ no-þing.

Absolute_Sniper #6 Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38005 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Are you having fun? If so just keep on keeping on. At 60%+ WR, you are vastly better than the majority of players. As Blartch alluded to, it’s not worth it to pour that much effort into when the payoff is tiny.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

Gavidoc01 #7 Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:13 PM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 42538 battles
  • [III]
I’d recommend grinding new lines. Your IX and X tank sets are limited. Grind some more and continue playing higher tiers. No need to focus on lower tiers. Your beyond the benefit they can bring you. 

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

minitel_NA #8 Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

I won’t look into ur stats so here is 10% impro :

if u played Russian heavies, try German medium.

If u tried german medium, try french light.

if u played tier7, play tier 10

i would add, if you played platoon only, play solo.

but I did this for 2 years, and the game is so vastly different and honestly it might just be more fun in platoon.

In other words, if you plateaued,

try to keep level in some more difficult part of the game.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Also tagged with stats, improving

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users