Zero damage tanks....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

_Weeping_Angel_ #1 Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50769 battles
  • [501DV]

I decided to do a little tracking on zero damage tanks.  This is NOT about AFK tanks but any tanks that started the match but for some reason or other did zero damage.  I played my normal games in the tiers 6 to 10 and tracked tiers of the game and which tier the zero damage tanks were.  I stopped because I was getting bored and a little disappointed in the results.  There are way more tanks not participating in damage than I thought by casual observation but surprised that it is pretty well spread out throughout the tiers.

Findings

Here are the games, top tier zero damage, bottom tier zero damage, total zero damage and zero damage tanks per game.

Tier Games Top Bottom Total Per Game
10/9 52 29 25 54 1.03
9/8 53 14 38 52 0.98
8/7 89 53 40 93 1.04
7/6 78 21 58 79 1.01
6/5 52 25 15 40 0.77
totals 324 142 176 318 0.98

Here I took all the games played with each tier involved, total tanks that did zero damage, and the number of tanks doing zero damage per game.

Tier Games Tanks

Per Game

10 52 29 0.53
9 105 39 0.37
8 142 91 0.63
7 167 61 0.36
6 120 83 0.69

Green vs Red (Added)

Tiers Games Green Red
10/9 52 28 (51.9%) 26 (48.1%)
9/8 53 20 (38.5%) 32 (61.5%)
8/7 89 40 (43.0%) 53 (57.0%)
7/6 78 40 (50.6%) 39 (49.4%)
6/5 52 16 (40.0%) 24 (60.0%)
totals 324 144 (45.3%) 174 (54.7%)

In the 324 games there were....

5 games where 4 tanks did zero damage (1.54% of games)

14 games where 3 tanks did zero damage (4.32% of games)

29 games where 2 tanks did zero damage (8.95% of games)

This means that about 7% of tanks that start a match will do zero damage during any given game.  Oof.

Conclusions

Tier 8 is not so surprising as a bad tier for zero damage tanks.  Tier 8 is the best tier for premium purchases where people will jump up tiers and then be outclassed.  I expected tier 8 to be bad.  What happens at tier 6?  They performed horrible as top tier!  I cannot think of a valid reason for all the zero damage tanks that tier 6 produced as top and bottom tier.

I know this is barely enough to take out inconsistencies but I think there was enough to realize that it doesn't really matter what tier you are in that there will be that guy who does zero damage no matter the tiers you play.  There has to be that guy who gets nuked early by a TD or some other derp gun.  There will be that guy who rushes straight in to 4 tanks to spot thinking he did a good thing.

PS....   I was only "that guy" two times in those 324 games and both times it was a result of derp.  One time a camping Smasher hit me and other time I crested a hill and got double tapped by a waiting Grille and 183.  This means out of 318 tanks that did zero damage I was only two of them ( 0.62%).  That means there are a lot of tanks making up for my way lower than average zero damage percentage.  I must assume that all the other players who are at or above 60% WR are like me who rarely put up a zero damage game.  That means that there are other players out there who are doing this way more often than 5% of their games.  That is what was really disappointing to think about.

I ran out of time but wanted to post.  I will add more comments about what I found when I get more time later tonight.

Edited by _Weeping_Angel_, 26 April 2019 - 03:20 PM.

tankeatingtiger #2 Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

Luvs His Hellkitty

• Players
  • 17663 battles
  • [-VB-]

Brilliant stuff man! That's really sad that the zeros are now becoming commonplace. Something that stands out to me with that significant sample size is that the odd # tiers (7,9) have a pretty sizable amount of less zeros. This seems contrary to common belief that these tiers are often bottom tier and are therefore at a disadvantage right off the bat. I also noticed that the 0.77 per game of 5/6 is really low, would you happen to have the stats for t5? They must be really low which would be curious...

Off to check out your bottom tier thread.

Great work! :great:

Edit: would like to see an anniversary tank study. This is after losing 3 straight in Vindi, 7-1, 7-2, and 7-1.

Edited by tankeatingtiger, 26 April 2019 - 01:04 AM.

YouTube Channel: 

https://www.youtube....tankeatingtiger

"All you peasants be silent and allow the ruling class to dictate. Is better."

-Joseph Stalin Blartch

_Weeping_Angel_ #3 Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50769 battles
  • [501DV]
Tier 8 I can understand as a bad tier for zero damage tanks.  Simply put, it is the tier everyone jumps up to with premium tanks.  It is the upper most tier that you can readily buy into with a premium tank and probably has the most premium tanks to buy.  Those who jump up tiers are not ready to play at that tier and under preform.  I was a little surprised that tier 6 was as bad as it was.  I was really surprised how bad the numbers were when tier 6 was top tier.  I really cannot explain why that tier plays so bad.

Niikemi_MKIV #4 Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:26 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16691 battles
  • [EAP]

Quite impressive work there, good stuff! I mean, not really, the results are actually a bit sad.But I'd say it's partly because of the pacing of the game.

A lot of people who play just wants to jump right into the action, and the battle itself is usually decided in the first minute. I've been playing things like War Thunder and some Total War games and in these games well thought out plans are actually very rewarding, whereas here in Blitz if you do plan something different chances are you:

1 - Might not have enought time to execute it properly, because I'm sure you understand that sometimes we have to play against our own team. Their mistake means more work for you;

2 - Which is most often the case, the team doesn't seem to be inclined to listen to what you proposed, and hey, sometimes people just straight up doesn't understand what you're trying to say;

3 - Literally, sometimes all you can really do is farm some credit for repairs and ammo. Sorry, it just happens. 

But then again, I haven't played in quite some time so I still have tons of catching up to do. Just my thoughts, see you all in the field!

Edit: Added 3!

Edited by Niikemi_MKIV, 26 April 2019 - 01:29 AM.

"It requires great courage to look at oneself honestly, and forge one's own path..."

ARandomGenieGuy #5 Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16484 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Im surprised by tiers 8 and 10 being one of the highest. Tier 6 is understood because of the derp guns and the difference between tiers 1-5 and tier 6. At tier 6 the game really begins. However at tier 8 I cant find a reasonable explanation while at tier 10 probably due to the lethality of weapons of which TDs can nuke everything in 3-4 shots. Interesting findings.

shyw #6 Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:40 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 47143 battles
  • [DOGZ]

Can any of this be related to Lags and/or getting Kicked Out?

At least a certain percentage, but the numbers/charts you have provided does cast a dark cloud over what is going on

Very interesting....thanks for sharing your findings....!!!!

_Weeping_Angel_ #7 Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50769 battles
  • [501DV]

View Postshyw, on 25 April 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Can any of this be related to Lags and/or getting Kicked Out?

At least a certain percentage, but the numbers/charts you have provided does cast a dark cloud over what is going on

Very interesting....thanks for sharing your findings....!!!!

I am sure some of these are exactly that. I just have no clear way of knowing who got kicked off server, game crashed, got a phone call, played stupid, suicided, ammo racked, etc.  Even if I watched every game in replay to see who was doing what I will never be able to tell for certain. That is why I said it is not about AFK tanks. I just know when I get done with a game and look at the team stats I get frustrated when I see a tank do zero damage. Now I know it is a lot more common thing than I expected. 

Th3Parasit3 #8 Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:47 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8680 battles

View PostARandomGenieGuy, on 26 April 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

Im surprised by tiers 8 and 10 being one of the highest. Tier 6 is understood because of the derp guns and the difference between tiers 1-5 and tier 6. At tier 6 the game really begins. However at tier 8 I cant find a reasonable explanation while at tier 10 probably due to the lethality of weapons of which TDs can nuke everything in 3-4 shots. Interesting findings.

The KV-2 effect might very well explain tier 6 results. The Smasher can nuke most tier 6 tanks.

AKWolf1 #9 Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:59 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 70681 battles
  • [CMIND]

View Post_Weeping_Angel_, on 26 April 2019 - 02:48 AM, said:

I am sure some of these are exactly that. I just have no clear way of knowing who got kicked off server, game crashed, got a phone call, played stupid, suicided, ammo racked, etc.  Even if I watched every game in replay to see who was doing what I will never be able to tell for certain. That is why I said it is not about AFK tanks. I just know when I get done with a game and look at the team stats I get frustrated when I see a tank do zero damage. Now I know it is a lot more common thing than I expected. 

You should be able to pick up AFK’s that at least never leave spawn area. Are you looking at Zero damage for both teams or just on yours?

GentleNova #10 Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25785 battles
  • [SRT-A]

View PostTh3Parasit3, on 25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

The KV-2 effect might very well explain tier 6 results. The Smasher can nuke most tier 6 tanks.

Ya, was going to say the same thing. You have noobs coming up to Tier 6 and getting nuked by KV2’s and even by Smashers if they are bottom tier. 

I mean it amazes me how you see people sitting on ridge lines, getting spotted, getting hit...and still stay on the ridge line to try to shoot who shot them...but get nuked in the process. I mean this is really basic stuff that people seem to have no comprehension of, perhaps because they don’t comprehend how spotting works. But at Tier 7 still? Sad times. 

_Weeping_Angel_ #11 Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50769 battles
  • [501DV]

View PostAKWolf1, on 25 April 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

You should be able to pick up AFK’s that at least never leave spawn area. Are you looking at Zero damage for both teams or just on yours?

I may have been able to go back and watch all the games I played to catch who I thought was afk vs. camping at spawn but I didn't think it was worth differentiating between the two.  First, I didn't want to spend (waste) the time watch every match I just played.  Second, most people only look at the end of game screens to see how everyone did and evaluate their own and other participation.

I did look at both teams.  I will add a chart to the OP about it.  I ran a WR of just under 60% while playing these games.  I am not surprised that the red team had more than green team.  Not sure what info this shows other than I would assume there would be more on the red team if I was winning more than losing.  I just didn't know how far the gap would be.

Edited by _Weeping_Angel_, 26 April 2019 - 03:23 PM.

_Cletus #12 Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21631 battles
  • [HAHA]
I got zero damage twice in a row last night, in tier 8.  First I got ammoracked by a smasher while I was driving a tier 8 heavy, which shouldn't happen.  The next match I got immediately vaporized by a couple of TD's in the same tier 8 heavy.  After that I quit, even though I was only 40 mins into my 1 hr premium cert.  And while I'm no unicorndog, I feel I'm pretty qualified to play tier 8, so it's not just noobs rushing up tiers, it also has to do with the popularity of big guns camping.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar by crpl_hicks

A good heavy driver knows how to make shots bounce off their armor, how to use cover while fighting at the front, when to get out there and just take the shot to protect his team, to keep the reds attention focused so his team can flank, and to consistently do damage while all of that happens.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users