How to T49

T49

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

AntoineDodson #1 Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30024 battles

Well, just as the title states, how do you play this thing? Do’s and don’ts.

I am absolutely horrible in this thing, I’ve had a few great games but other than that I’m terrible in it.

One of my main issues is shooting the right type of ammo. I need to learn that.

Just learned in the first game this morning that it’s terrible at sniping. Thought I had a great opportunity as I was the only one up at church spotting. Tons of Reds were on the opposite hill in PLAIN VIEW, STATIONARY. Did I hit ONE shot? Nope. Missed them all, didn’t rush any shots. Just completely whiffed on them all.

I need help.    :(

Hide your kids, hide your wife
And hide your husband
Cuz they’re derpin errbody out here

Wolverine9827 #2 Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5407 battles

Yea - I had a terrible time on this tank.  Kept trying to play it like my chaffee but you're right - sniping is a no-go though you can get lucky every once in while.

I've since played it like an initial spotter and then roving TD.  Get out to light things up if you can without getting hammered and then use terrain and speed to keep moving and under as much cover as possible.

While doing this try to look for engagements where you can dash in from the side/rear and DERP your HE on the run and get away back into cover while reloading and do it all over again.  I generally load HE at first since my initial spots are usually lights/meds/TDs and I try to get a shot in before getting spotted and running away to reload.  After the (possible) initial shot I look to where the enemy is engaged and where I might be able to slip in to hammer a DERP in the side/rear or if I can flank in behind to get guns turned.

I find that I'm the most successful if I keep moving and keep circling around to support my team as much as I can - but you have to learn to be the master of the Drive-By DERP and circle of death. 

Also, when you're spotted - the enemy WILL turn guns on you - you're a massive threat!  Use this to get guns off your allies!  Sometimes you have to take a hit in order for your mates to focus fire your hitter to the garage... (that is, if they decide to take a break from all the windex huffing)

My hardest part is knowing that exact moment when its time to move in aggressively to start finishing off the most damaged enemies - go too early and you're liable to end up as dogfood - wait too long and you're the hunted

I'm still learning the T49 - and while I've had some crap games, I've also had some really fun ones where I rolled up on the rear of a VK 100 and DER-POW!!  :justwait:

HappySoul #3 Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17813 battles
  • [BZO]
this tank is junk. only way to play it is to rush at enemy tank, bump a load from point blank distance without any expectation and run away -> you hit good, you don't hit try again. 

SpartacusDiablo #4 Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26111 battles
  • [III-R]
Okay.  I'm not the best but I'm decent in the T49.  

Make a early spot run.  Be sure to keep terrain between you and the reds.  Pop up and get back into cover. Always let your camo reset.  You are a juicy target and many players hate you just for hitting battle in the T49.

Play very conservatively for the early part of the match.  Nurse your HP.  Once you've nailed down the location of the red team use your mobility to engage lone or distracted targets.  

The HEAT round isn't as bad as some players let on.  You can do serious damage with it to the sides and rears of most tanks.  I save my HE rounds for splashing or tracking heavily armored targets and for putting down obscene damage numbers on lightly armored targets.

As the game winds down you can be more aggressive (if you've saved your HP).  Now you can zip around one shotting low health reds.  

I'll post a mastery I had shortly for those of you who prefer watching to reading.

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

SpartacusDiablo #5 Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Highly Illogical

• Players
  • 26111 battles
  • [III-R]

Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.

Bellatormonk #6 Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 29220 battles
  • [MASHU]

Seems like a thread best suited for this area and perhaps already asked and answered.

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/forum/255-american-tanks/

Edited by Bellatormonk, 10 May 2019 - 04:06 PM.

j0nn0 #7 Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19711 battles
  • [XREGS]

View PostHappySoul, on 10 May 2019 - 06:36 AM, said:

this tank is junk. only way to play it is to rush at enemy tank, bump a load from point blank distance without any expectation and run away -> you hit good, you don't hit try again. 

Lol. If that's your only tactic of course it'd suck. Feel free to check my replays on WoT inspector for my t49 ace games. The majority of my shots in them are mid to long range opportunistic shots. Yolo derps are only reserved for desperate situations, joyrides, and mid/late game cleanup.

@OP here are some t49 basics. I didnt bother to read the posts above me yet so there may be redundancy here. Sorry

- Deep or nothing. It's either feast or famine. No inbetweens. Give up on ever breaking even in terms of credits.

- Check your shots between HE/HEAT on your reloads in sniper mode to know what to hit and where. HE works on most flanks and rears other than certain heavies. HEAT will pen if properly landed, but you might be better off splashing for HE.

- don't run and gun unless point blank. The bloom on movement is [edited].

- camp bush like a boss. I dont mean to be stagnant all game, but you'll typically need to hunt for your angles and shots from hard cover. Once youre spotted, if youre not turtled up, youll likely be derped or focused to death. 

- know your targets and focus them when available. Lights and thin skinned meds are easy 700's if you can land a shot on flat armor. The closer you are to nailing them on flat armor, the more chances you have of rolling for 900 dmg. Dont forget to target turretless TDs as most flanks and rears are easy HE pens (not counting the paper ones. Those get shot anywhere but tracks at full dmg)

- when facing heavy armor, dont sit in front of them like an idiot. Fall back and flank them once camo is reset to derp them in the rear or flank. 

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

WrenchThrower281 #8 Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20025 battles
  • [T_W_O]
What seems to work best from observation not practice is late game full speed drive by derp, don't even slow down. 

__Frostbite #9 Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 25385 battles
  • [-0]

Currently running a 70% winrate in mine with 75 battles so I'll see if I can share some advice.

-Only run the derp gun.

-Run Calibrated Shells. You must. There is absolutely no reason not to.

This tank is extremely opportunistic but is fragile and has obviously low pen. Unfortunately, the camo rating is pretty bad even for a light tank, its seriously annoying to get spotted 200+ meters away by a heavy. So you're going to have to remember not to stay in one area for very long. The reload gives you the excuse to run away, relocate, and even lop shells from a distance if needed. I'm not saying "sniping" because people would get mad at me, but the aimed in dispersion is only slightly worse than the Rhm's 15 cm, so you can splash tanks with HE from 300 meters away if needed. Keep the gun singing and really do try and avoid taking damage, you'll be wanting lots of HP to trade with at the end. 

Do everything that SD wrote above as well. Don't use HEAT on the sides of American and Russian heavies, or anything with lots of exposed tracks. The HEAT shell is decent but do not be hesitant at all to switch to HEAT when needed.

When aiming for some splash damage on the front of heavily armored tanks, don't aim for the middle of the tank (center mass), try to hit one of the tracks. You'll usually do more damage (an extra 100-150 or so), you'll track them, and you have a higher chance of getting crew or module damage (I tend to hit Russian drivers a lot when doing this). 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

j0nn0 #10 Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19711 battles
  • [XREGS]
To supplement that bit about aiming for tracks: aim between the track sections, not drive wheels or tread. That can negate your shot entirely due to HE mechanics. If you have the luxury of aim time, there are also plenty of tanks with armor thin enough to fully pen w/ HE between the tracks from the side, provided that you dont hit spaced armor of course.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

Destroy0 #11 Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

Currently Unavailable

• Players
  • 21314 battles
  • [FRS17]
My only problem with the tank is that the HE is so dang expensive.

minitel_NA #12 Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostAntoineDodson, on 10 May 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

Well, just as the title states, how do you play this thing? Do’s and don’ts.

I am absolutely horrible in this thing, I’ve had a few great games but other than that I’m terrible in it.

One of my main issues is shooting the right type of ammo. I need to learn that.

Just learned in the first game this morning that it’s terrible at sniping. Thought I had a great opportunity as I was the only one up at church spotting. Tons of Reds were on the opposite hill in PLAIN VIEW, STATIONARY. Did I hit ONE shot? Nope. Missed them all, didn’t rush any shots. Just completely whiffed on them all.

I need help.    :(

tanks that can do anything don’t make I do any progress. People can play the IS- all day and the WZ-120 all night. Will they learn anything ?

Thats  tanks that are extremely limited in one area, but extremely good in another area that force you to rethink the game and push your progress. 

T49 is such a tank.

to learn about ammo try armor Inspector. You can chose the tank gun and ammo, then pick your enemies one by one under any angle and study where to make the most dmage or which ammo to use if you can’t pick the angle. 

in game the thing is to select your target and ammo BEFORE you go to him, and arrive to him exactly at the correct angle while he is looking elsewhere. Then unload and run.

and that’s why you need to prepare all that before pressing battle. 

After the battle you can review the action and each shot and see why it work or didn’t. 

As a small tip, prerotate your turret and lock it. Not traversing the turret at all does a lot for your accuracy. Same thing, preaim behind cover and come out when the aim is minimal, just 1 or 2 m and shoot. This makes sure u got the best accuracy and minimum exposure.

hmm here are 2 videos. 

Hope it helps. 

One I found the other day someone posted  a game of mine online, without me knowing lol.

sorry for the intro and stuff, it’s not my video, but it’s my gameplay.

you will see what I mean by planning the attack.

This is from my channel 

tit shows a t49 game and some after battle analytics.

Some details and bugs mentionned are outdated now but the bulk is sill coherent.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

minitel_NA #13 Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostDestroy0, on 10 May 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

My only problem with the tank is that the HE is so dang expensive.

I agree. It would need some cheap normal HE with terrible everything, but affordable price. 

I remember that “nub t49” post from Spartacus. (Edit I think it was crusader)... It hurt just watching all this HE return 200 dmg until he basically ran out of them

:/ 

OP if you find that thread it has a nice video of spamming HE and avoiding direct fire until he gets his way, without ever penning. 

Edited by minitel_NA, 10 May 2019 - 09:26 PM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

4sfield #14 Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:46 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33335 battles
  • [-1]

Check this out. It’s the link to Cru’s thread on it from a couple of days ago. 

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/103717-nub-t49-or-properly-played/

Edited by 4sfield, 10 May 2019 - 09:48 PM.

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

__Crusader6__ #15 Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60297 battles
  • [-C6-]

I love the T49.  

I’m 67% in it with 831 games. 

Mintel, SD and Maverick nailed most of the highlights.  

I’m pretty jaded about it’s HEAT - I pretty much save it for German sides or if I run out of HE.  

I had a 5 kill 5.7 dmg draw last month that after I burned out the second last tank  (E75) the last red an IS-3 just sat on cap. 

I had been a one shot since getting mugged by a M46 earlier - so I kempbushed and lobbed HE and 4 rds of HEAT at the IS. 

The HE reset the cap but even aimed in clear pen HEAT bounced - including one rear engine shot (FU RNG).  

So I often err to HE even when HEAT may be the better choice. 

Don’t trade health early if it can helped - unless it’s a very good trade. 

Biggest threats to you at the start is either another 49 or a well driven Ru who can burn you down with HEP.   

Next armored Meds as maps are generally not fast enough for you to put safe space be wary of T-54’s when low tier. 

Then obviously Derp TD’s who can take you out in own round. 

Controlled Aggression is the name of T49 game play. 

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

DeathInTanks #16 Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9982 battles
a tip for he if you cant pen frontally with he or heat, aim UNDER the tank with HE. The splash will do a good 300 (provided the splash radius is big enough), which is better than nothing.
Remember what the general said. We're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive early; in the nick of time would do nicely.

__Crusader6__ #17 Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:07 AM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60297 battles
  • [-C6-]

View PostCuteFluffyKitten, on 10 May 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

a tip for he if you cant pen frontally with he or heat, aim UNDER the tank with HE. The splash will do a good 300 (provided the splash radius is big enough), which is better than nothing.

In the ideal world yes - but the dispersion can often ruin your plan.  

I often aim center of mass - unless I’m close enough to ensure a good solid bottom splash. 

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

AntoineDodson #18 Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30024 battles
So EGLD or Supercharge? Vstab or Refined gun?
And hide your husband

AntoineDodson #19 Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30024 battles

No need to reply anymore. Just played a game and I told my son, “If I don’t get more than 1,500 damage I’m deleting the game.”

I did zero. 

Have fun fellas.

And hide your husband

Absolute_Sniper #20 Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostAntoineDodson, on 11 May 2019 - 03:20 AM, said:

No need to reply anymore. Just played a game and I told my son, “If I don’t get more than 1,500 damage I’m deleting the game.”

I did zero. 

Have fun fellas.

Not the lesson I’d teach to my kids but to each their own. 

Happy trails!

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

Also tagged with T49

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users