Jump to content


How I'd Change Chat


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

SpartacusDiablo #1 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

    Highly Illogical

  • Players
  • 25340 battles
  • 7,911
  • [III-R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

This first one is a repeat so bear with me because the 2nd one is new.

 

  1. If your 30 day win rate is below 50% at the tier you are playing your team and global chat would be shut off for the first 30 seconds of battle.  This prevent bad players from making bad calls that other bad players then follow.
  2. If your 30 day win rate is below 50% at the tier you are playing your team and global chat are shut off once you die.  This will prevent bad players from spamming chat with bad commands and general rage.

 

Discuss among yourselves.


Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.


Ronin_23 #2 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16544 battles
  • 535
  • [-RGN-]
  • Member since:
    05-21-2011

Yes.

 

That is all.



4sfield #3 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

    Space Lord

  • Players
  • 33335 battles
  • 5,299
  • [-1]
  • Member since:
    07-08-2014

  Since the incentive to play better doesn’t seem to matter and since playing effectively dictates enjoyment of the game, I can agree with pretty much any form of penalty for the pure sake of making the guys who don’t care start to. 

 

  Chat is huge, and shutting the nubs up until they learn to play and stop talking out of their hind ends would gentle them down some. 


Edited by 4sfield, 12 May 2019 - 10:43 PM.

 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

 

FREE _stealy!!!


SpartacusDiablo #4 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

    Highly Illogical

  • Players
  • 25340 battles
  • 7,911
  • [III-R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View Post4sfield, on 12 May 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

  Since the incentive to play better doesn’t seem to matter and since playing effectively dictates enjoyment of the game, I can agree with pretty much any form of penalty for the pure sake of making the guys who don’t care start to. 

 

  Chat is huge, and shitting the nubs up until they learn to play and stop talking out of their hind ends would gentle them down some. 

I think you meant "shutting the nubs up" :D


Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.


__Frostbite #5 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:31 PM

    Cold as Ice

  • Players
  • 24529 battles
  • 2,689
  • [-0]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2016
I think the more appropriate way to go around this would be to create a more complex way to calculate who gets to talk and who doesn't, rather than just go by winrate. Winrate can be padded by platooning and isn't as good as a metric that assesses player skill as WN8 is, for example. 
rusty.

SpartacusDiablo #6 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

    Highly Illogical

  • Players
  • 25340 battles
  • 7,911
  • [III-R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 12 May 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

I think the more appropriate way to go around this would be to create a more complex way to calculate who gets to talk and who doesn't, rather than just go by winrate. Winrate can be padded by platooning and isn't as good as a metric that assesses player skill as WN8 is, for example. 

I think using 30 day at the tier being played would be gogo enough.  Sure you can pad wr a little but by platooning but at the end of the day two bad players in a toon are still two bad players.


Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.


HumanCoookie #7 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16630 battles
  • 950
  • [_STR8]
  • Member since:
    10-22-2016
id go by whoever owns a 252u has acess to chat and whoever doesn't own one has access to chat

I semi left the forums. I only edit my tutorial and suggestions threads and post WoTB videos. Why I semi left.

 

My suggestions thread for game improvement (now on Google Docs)

 

also i lerned to hyperlink yay


ARandomGenieGuy #8 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18072 battles
  • 1,884
  • [CRUEL]
  • Member since:
    06-26-2014
I think that names should be colored according to win rate. Not the enemy ones, since purples would be focused and targeted, but the ones from your own team. Just like win rate is colored by percentage, white for noobs, green for average, darker green for above average, blue for very good, purple to unicum, etc. That way we can all see who are the noob ones and who are the real deal. That would encourage the use of better strategies since naturally potatoes would be ignored and the calls of the best player would be actually listened. Kind of like a team leader without explicitly being one. That would improve gameplay dramatically. Also it would be cool to put nasty red and fecal brown colors to potatoes that way it’s kind of a public humiliation, and as a side effect, at least they would try to improve so players don’t mock em constantly for being sh!t, or they would try to improve to actually make the calls themselves someday.

Edited by ARandomGenieGuy, 12 May 2019 - 10:47 PM.


4sfield #9 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

    Space Lord

  • Players
  • 33335 battles
  • 5,299
  • [-1]
  • Member since:
    07-08-2014

  Earn your right to speak, I like it. I think it should go a step further, no battle chat at all unless your 50% in the tier being players during the last 30 days. Most of the time I’ll be the only guy on my team with the ability to speak. There will be entire games where nobody will be able to speak. 

 

  You want to chat it up? Go play somewhere you belong. 


 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

 

FREE _stealy!!!


Absolute_Sniper #10 Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 37284 battles
  • 2,915
  • [CRU2L]
  • Member since:
    11-05-2015
I disagree. Limiting access to chat will mean the stupids will try other things to communicate such as blocking, pushing, or even worse waiting until they are able to chat and then spamming.

Changes I would prefer to see.
1. Once your tank dies, so does your chat. You can watch but no longer communicate.
2. No global chat for anyone. There is literally no reason to chat with reds other than the occasional o7. It gets used for salt and to give away positions. It can go away.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

 

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

 


__Crusader6__ #11 Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:06 PM

    Annoying Mod

  • Players
  • 59608 battles
  • 11,584
  • [-C6-]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

WG won’t implement any chat restrictions other than based on bans due to complaints.  

  It’s a mobile game, you need to accept that a 40%’er has the same rights as you do to chat. 

 

Secondary issues arise then, why 50%? Why not 60%? 

   Also what if you get your first tier X and lose a game? 

 

I think a chat restriction would be great, but I don’t see it ever being implemented.  

    The minute some 40% player can’t chat he’s going to annoyed - and his potential spending is lowered. 

 

Any ideas need to be at least theoretically revenue neutral- not potentially negative.  


 
Tank Hoarder: 383 tanks in Garage:  375/385 aced (Mk1 Heavy and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner
 
 
Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

 


_UrgleMcPurfle_ #12 Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13463 battles
  • 2,790
  • [HATED]
  • Member since:
    07-19-2016

Think of all the 30-40% players who believe MM is rigged, RNG is a scam, and buying a Lowe at 500 battles makes them a good player. The "I'm good but my stats don't show it" type people. You know the who they are; we've all encountered them because they comprise a large portion of the playerbase. Now imagine the game telling them they aren't good enough. Can you imagine how furious they would be? They'd rate the game 1 star and rant in the app store reviews. And anybody looking to download the game for the first time will be swamped with these.



4sfield #13 Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:23 PM

    Space Lord

  • Players
  • 33335 battles
  • 5,299
  • [-1]
  • Member since:
    07-08-2014

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 12 May 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Think of all the 30-40% players who believe MM is rigged, RNG is a scam, and buying a Lowe at 500 battles makes them a good player. The "I'm good but my stats don't show it" type people. You know the who they are; we've all encountered them because they comprise a large portion of the playerbase. Now imagine the game telling them they aren't good enough. Can you imagine how furious they would be? They'd rate the game 1 star and rant in the app store reviews. And anybody looking to download the game for the first time will be swamped with these.

 

  I say let em. They aren’t going anywhere, they just dropped 50 bucks on a premium. It’s like the quote out of “Tombstone”, “If were gonna have a life in this town there has to be some law and order”. 

 

  This not only goes for chat, it should go for skilled game play as well. You should have to earn your way up, that way you appreciate it more and are generally invested in the well being of it. Otherwise, it’s Clownville and will keep getting worse and worse until nobody wants to play any longer. 

 

  I say chat is just a good place to start. I also don’t agree with AS about muting the dead. It doesn’t always work the way he described. Same with global, I use it to communicate greetings and other pertinent info with guys I know in the red team. 


 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

 

FREE _stealy!!!


WipWapJaws #14 Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

    Clanless Scrub

  • Players
  • 46604 battles
  • 3,664
  • [WKD]
  • Member since:
    07-24-2014
Not much to discuss, seems like a reasonable and balanced idea to me

SpartacusDiablo #15 Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

    Highly Illogical

  • Players
  • 25340 battles
  • 7,911
  • [III-R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View Post__Crusader6__, on 12 May 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

WG won’t implement any chat restrictions other than based on bans due to complaints.  

  It’s a mobile game, you need to accept that a 40%’er has the same rights as you do to chat. 

 

Secondary issues arise then, why 50%? Why not 60%? 

   Also what if you get your first tier X and lose a game? 

 

I think a chat restriction would be great, but I don’t see it ever being implemented.  

    The minute some 40% player can’t chat he’s going to annoyed - and his potential spending is lowered. 

 

Any ideas need to be at least theoretically revenue neutral- not potentially negative.  

I know you are right...but man I'm tired of the nonsense that goes on in chat.


Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.


The_Flop #16 Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:56 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 51665 battles
  • 213
  • [BTO]
  • Member since:
    10-08-2016
Use tier wr, while still can be padded, its a more reasonable assessment then overall wr.

SpartacusDiablo #17 Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:01 AM

    Highly Illogical

  • Players
  • 25340 battles
  • 7,911
  • [III-R]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2014

View PostThe_Flop, on 12 May 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

Use tier wr, while still can be padded, its a more reasonable assessment then overall wr.

That's what I said.


Find me on Discord, [SpartacusDiablo#7879]

Rest in Peace CJ.  You will be missed.


TonnerreCadien #18 Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:17 AM

    Cabri dans le Maïs

  • Players
  • 44710 battles
  • 2,481
  • [HAHA]
  • Member since:
    05-23-2015

View PostI_Maverick_I, on 12 May 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

I think the more appropriate way to go around this would be to create a more complex way to calculate who gets to talk and who doesn't, rather than just go by winrate. Winrate can be padded by platooning and isn't as good as a metric that assesses player skill as WN8 is, for example. 

 

I find the above precious. If the person is winning in the tier in question, even if it's primarily while platooned, then he/she likely knows the right call to make.

 

However, I do like Sparty's suggestion. Do I think WG will implement it?

 

Of course not.


Edited by TonnerreCadien, 13 May 2019 - 11:28 AM.

jx1pteO.jpg

I'm too old to be a seal clubber! I can't tell you the last time I even went to a club!

"Go back to tier III!" - Every stat-fetisher who ever got salty with me in post-game chat

Des fois ce jeu est laid comme un coin de banquette, laisses-mon te dire...


plsdontkillmexxx #19 Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9554 battles
  • 1,014
  • [XHALE]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2019

View PostSpartacusDiablo, on 13 May 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

This first one is a repeat so bear with me because the 2nd one is new.

 

  1. If your 30 day win rate is below 50% at the tier you are playing your team and global chat would be shut off for the first 30 seconds of battle.  This prevent bad players from making bad calls that other bad players then follow.
  2. If your 30 day win rate is below 50% at the tier you are playing your team and global chat are shut off once you die.  This will prevent bad players from spamming chat with bad commands and general rage.

 

Discuss among yourselves.

 

Disagree. Firstly below 50% players are average not bad. Secondly, why should any aspects of the game be geared to a winrate? Why should any player have the game restricted in any way  for not having a certain level of competence? And thirdly, this is just another example of 60%+ players wanting to control the game for everyone else, as they do the forum.

 


Don't be fooled by my winrate. I'm really a unicum in disguise.

plsdontkillmexxx #20 Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:14 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9554 battles
  • 1,014
  • [XHALE]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2019

View Post4sfield, on 13 May 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

  Since the incentive to play better doesn’t seem to matter and since playing effectively dictates enjoyment of the game, I can agree with pretty much any form of penalty for the pure sake of making the guys who don’t care start to. 

 

  Chat is huge, and shutting the nubs up until they learn to play and stop talking out of their hind ends would gentle them down some. 

 

So it would have to be put into the rules of the game.
Don't be fooled by my winrate. I'm really a unicum in disguise.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users