Obj 140 vs T-62A: The Debate of Ages

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: moar Questshuns (27 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Which tank do you PREFER, not consider to be better?

1. Object 140 (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. T-62A (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

What are your stats in these vehicles? (30 days, not career)

1. Winrate: 45-50%, <1800 average damage (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

2. Winrate: 50-55%, <2300 average damage (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Winrate: 55-60%, <2500 average damage (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Winrate: 60-65%, <2750 average damage (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

5. Winrate: 65-70%, 2750+ average damage (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

6. I fit partially into one more of these (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

7. I don't fit into anyone of these (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Hide poll

__Frostbite #1 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:09 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 30197 battles
  • [-0]

Not this horse again. Yes, I'm bringing it back so that we can beat it up again and maybe even truly kill it.

Being an owner of both of these tanks, and being a particularly good player in them if I may say so myself, gives me a little insight about how these tanks really operate, and why they're different. Spoiler alert: 

press below

Anyways, let's start off with a little comprehensive list of all the differences.

T-62A Strengths
-5mm of extra pen for regular ammo

-10mm of extra pen for premium ammo
-Approx 33% faster aim time
-Roughly .04 better dispersion (about 17%)

-Better terrain resistance
-Stronger turret (frontally)

-(kinda negligible) 2 more degrees of track traverse/s

Obj 140 Strengths
-AP shells for standard ammo

-20% better gun bloom while the gun is moving

-20% more gun depression (6 degrees compared to 5)

-5 kph higher top speed

-Better p/w ratio

Ok, got that established. Let's talk about why these matter, or if they do, and why it makes them different. 

Unicum Stuff
First, we got the T-62A. Let's start with the gun. Most people will say it's a better gun, but again, that's only looking at some things. True, it is more accurate and has better mm's of pen while keeping the same DPM. Having the 330mm of HEAT pen is also very nice. Being able to aim very quickly and get tighter shots means you can track more easily, require less penetration because you can aim for weakspots. That's all great. Oh, let's throw a nearly (nearly, the small cheeks can get penned by 330mm of HEAT, it's also possible to hit that tiny cupola on the top) impervious turret on it and it looks like this is the hulldown king, right? Well, not exactly. It's about here where the benefits end, in my opinion, for the T-62A. I really tried to write more for this section

Now, let's go back to the Obj 140, and more specifically, its gun as well. The Obj 140 has a very nice one. While it lacks HEAT penetration (only clocking in with 319mm, not nearly as good but manageable), it actually has BETTER regular ammo penetration. See, the AP shells gets 5 degrees of normalization, while the T-62A gets only 2. This results in varying amounts of more pen, but more pen nevertheless, for the Obj 140's AP  shell. You won't believe me until I get mathy and techincal so here we go.

nerd alert reeeeee

Now, to get back to what I was saying earlier, let's continue with what the Obj 140 has. It has 0.07 bloom, compared to the 0.09 from the 

T-62A (with vstabs, you run vstabs on both of these tanks). This means that the gun takes less time to aim in, and means the gun is as accurate as the T-62A's when moving, and actually is more accurate when both moving the turret and the tracks, which is usually the case while making a snapshot. This makes the Obj 140 the king of snapshots in WoT Blitz. Now, the turret might be weaker on this tank, but the turret is still very strong. Yes, it's going to get penned occasionally. But the turret offers something much more valuable in return: 6 degrees of gun depression compared to 5. This isn't just "20% more gun depression", its the difference between getting a shot off or not. It's the difference between being able to use a position and return fire or not. It's huge. The "little" differences between these tanks often mean the difference of something happening or not, not like, oh 3% more chance to bounce or pen, or what have you. Now that we're on that topic, let's get to another important thing: mobility. The 140 accelerates faster, and also has a 5 kph higher speed limit. That means that the 140 can rotate around the map properly, and the 62A can't, as least, not without taking precious seconds more. This reason alone is why the Obj 140 is used in competitive tournament play, and why the 62A isn't. No team needs a highly accurate medium that gets outspotted (forgot to mention the 140 has a slightly better camo rating) and outrotated. You need a medium that can spot, rotate, cap, and DPM something to the ground in flames. The last thing is that the hull armor on the Obj 140 is anged better and will bounce more shots, but this should not be relied on anyways. 

In summary, we can prove these tanks, although looking very similar, have different roles. The 140 needs a good driver to do well. It's a more opportunistic tank, it can create shot opportunities that the 62A can't because of its mobility and gun depression. However, it struggles more in a brawling area, where the turret and HEAT penetration can let it down. The T-62A is more reliable and consistent. If you have the shot opportunity, the T-62A will have a better chance of penning the shot, and will be bouncing more shots due to that stronk turret. The Obj 140 is suited for the better player, who doesn't need to rely on the godly accuracy and the stronk turret and will be putting the mobility and rotation ability to use. The T-62A is good for the starting player who needs some extra armor and a laser beam gun to farm the enemy. It's for this reason that I prefer the Obj 140. However, just because I prefer it doesn't mean that the T-62A is a bad tank, or is worse, or whatever. I'm able to have very similar averages in both of these tanks.

I will be attempting to make a YouTube video on this topic if I can find the time and footage, for those who learn better visually. Stay tuned. Now, I'd like to hear YOUR opinions and thoughts on these tanks, and please the answer the poll!

- Ntwadumela (aka Maverick)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

j0nn0 #2 Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19810 battles
  • [XREGS]
You just reminded me that i've yet to ace my t62a. Might joyride/grind it in a week or two.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

zulton55 #3 Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21264 battles
  • [ZLTN]

Very informative Ntwadumela.

This reminds me why I want to grind that line. (working on a few other atm though.)

ARandomGenieGuy #4 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18088 battles
You forgot to mention object 140 has better cammo. Otherwise good job, even though I think it’s a death horse argument. Anyone who really wants to know which tank is better in what aspect should only open tank compare on Blitz stars and there you go, bingo. You know what tank suits you best. 

Edited by ARandomGenieGuy, 17 May 2019 - 10:14 PM.

vvk2 #5 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 76341 battles
  • [SPUDX]
I wonder how many of you use CS vs Rammer. Lately I use Rammer and don't really feel a need for extra pen.

Dark_Magician_Girl #6 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 42991 battles
  • [_STR8]
I much prefer the 62a to the 140.  WG has the chance to buff the 62a again anyway.  When I am driving particularly well, the 62a is near unstoppable.  I really like the traverse for better maneuverability in close quarters.

STAR1 NA top 10 all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 most winning all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 highest career WN8 all-time ranked player - #1 ranked driver E75 STAR1 - Blitzstars 49 different vehicles with top 10 all-time NA WN8 - 40 unique career 3000+ damage averages at high tiers - Captain of 5 top 8 NA tournament appearances - Content creator of map meta defining Blitz YT content - 1 of 3 Bushka masterclass candidates.

I am, the Dark Magician Girl

Gavidoc01 #7 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:43 AM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 48865 battles
  • [III]
Before they changed the 62a I did much better in it. After they changed the gun my stats in the 62 went down and my 140 have gone up. 

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

Morphman11 #8 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
T-62A is dead, why bother with a T-62A when the 140 is nigh better in every regard. 

_Crusader6_ #9 Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:33 AM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69902 battles
  • [BDGER]

I’ve never liked the 62A.  

That 1 degree of gun depression causes me grief to the point I think it’s psychological.  

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  432/433 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #10 Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]

View Postvvk2, on 17 May 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

I wonder how many of you use CS vs Rammer. Lately I use Rammer and don't really feel a need for extra pen.

With the rammer, the benefit is always there; any time you fire more than 1 shot in succession, you are using the rammer effectively. However, CS's advantage is situational. The only instance where CS helps is when the armor you are shooting at can be penetrated with CS, but cannot be penetrated without. For example, the extra 30 mm of heat pen from CS doesn't help the T62 pen the Maus' upper plate—in that specific situation, CS is useless. Similarly, when shooting at a Leo 1 CS is also useless, as that extra pen was not required to do damage. Therefore, CS should only be used when there are specific targets you want to penetrate that you cannot without CS. 

With that in mind, I use CS on the T62. My playstyle is lazy—I do that Russian thing where you angle the front plate and peek repeatedly to the side of a hill. If I am in a target-rich environment, I am rarely inclined to get off my [edited]and flank; thus, I am shooting primarily at the fronts, not sides, of opponents. There are several pieces of frontal armor that I can penetrate with CS but cannot without, e.g., E100 turret, IS-7 upper plate, JPE100 casemate, IS-4 upper plate, etc. Notice that these are specific and targets that I encounter regularly, which I specifically use CS for. The DPM that I gain by being able to shoot these targets exceeds the DPM I lose by dropping rammer.

On the other hand, I use rammer on the Leo 1. Most of my damage comes when I flank, so I am usually shooting my opponents' sides. In these situations, CS would be overkill and the pen superfluous. So the extra DPM of the rammer is much more useful for the Leo 1.

BobboEvans #11 Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

Maverick... thx for this post.  I actually have 62A and unlocked 140 but haven’t bought it.  I’m a ‘below average’ medium driver.  As I read your summary, I thought about my experience learning how to use HE.  What I learned is that you BETTER be sure you can pen.  If you’re not... ONE shot fired in a game using HE that doesn’t pen just reduced your game damage from a scenario where you fired regular ammo the whole game.  Usually.  My point is... isn’t reliability more important than a tank that is opportunistic?  Especially for us less than capable medium drivers?  What’s your thought on the better tank for the uneducated masses?  I’m sensing 62A.

Edited by BobboEvans, 18 May 2019 - 01:22 PM.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

jahawa #12 Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19578 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Post_Ntwadumela, on 17 May 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Not this horse again. Yes, I'm bringing it back so that we can beat it up again and maybe even truly kill it.

Being an owner of both of these tanks, and being a particularly good player in them if I may say so myself, gives me a little insight about how these tanks really operate, and why they're different. Spoiler alert: 

press below

Anyways, let's start off with a little comprehensive list of all the differences.

T-62A Strengths
-5mm of extra pen for regular ammo

-10mm of extra pen for premium ammo
-Approx 33% faster aim time
-Roughly .04 better dispersion (about 17%)

-Better terrain resistance
-Stronger turret (frontally)

-(kinda negligible) 2 more degrees of track traverse/s

Obj 140 Strengths
-AP shells for standard ammo

-20% better gun bloom while the gun is moving

-20% more gun depression (6 degrees compared to 5)

-5 kph higher top speed

-Better p/w ratio

Ok, got that established. Let's talk about why these matter, or if they do, and why it makes them different. 

Unicum Stuff
First, we got the T-62A. Let's start with the gun. Most people will say it's a better gun, but again, that's only looking at some things. True, it is more accurate and has better mm's of pen while keeping the same DPM. Having the 330mm of HEAT pen is also very nice. Being able to aim very quickly and get tighter shots means you can track more easily, require less penetration because you can aim for weakspots. That's all great. Oh, let's throw a nearly (nearly, the small cheeks can get penned by 330mm of HEAT, it's also possible to hit that tiny cupola on the top) impervious turret on it and it looks like this is the hulldown king, right? Well, not exactly. It's about here where the benefits end, in my opinion, for the T-62A. I really tried to write more for this section

Now, let's go back to the Obj 140, and more specifically, its gun as well. The Obj 140 has a very nice one. While it lacks HEAT penetration (only clocking in with 319mm, not nearly as good but manageable), it actually has BETTER regular ammo penetration. See, the AP shells gets 5 degrees of normalization, while the T-62A gets only 2. This results in varying amounts of more pen, but more pen nevertheless, for the Obj 140's AP  shell. You won't believe me until I get mathy and techincal so here we go.

nerd alert reeeeee

Now, to get back to what I was saying earlier, let's continue with what the Obj 140 has. It has 0.07 bloom, compared to the 0.09 from the 

T-62A (with vstabs, you run vstabs on both of these tanks). This means that the gun takes less time to aim in, and means the gun is as accurate as the T-62A's when moving, and actually is more accurate when both moving the turret and the tracks, which is usually the case while making a snapshot. This makes the Obj 140 the king of snapshots in WoT Blitz. Now, the turret might be weaker on this tank, but the turret is still very strong. Yes, it's going to get penned occasionally. But the turret offers something much more valuable in return: 6 degrees of gun depression compared to 5. This isn't just "20% more gun depression", its the difference between getting a shot off or not. It's the difference between being able to use a position and return fire or not. It's huge. The "little" differences between these tanks often mean the difference of something happening or not, not like, oh 3% more chance to bounce or pen, or what have you. Now that we're on that topic, let's get to another important thing: mobility. The 140 accelerates faster, and also has a 5 kph higher speed limit. That means that the 140 can rotate around the map properly, and the 62A can't, as least, not without taking precious seconds more. This reason alone is why the Obj 140 is used in competitive tournament play, and why the 62A isn't. No team needs a highly accurate medium that gets outspotted (forgot to mention the 140 has a slightly better camo rating) and outrotated. You need a medium that can spot, rotate, cap, and DPM something to the ground in flames. The last thing is that the hull armor on the Obj 140 is anged better and will bounce more shots, but this should not be relied on anyways. 

In summary, we can prove these tanks, although looking very similar, have different roles. The 140 needs a good driver to do well. It's a more opportunistic tank, it can create shot opportunities that the 62A can't because of its mobility and gun depression. However, it struggles more in a brawling area, where the turret and HEAT penetration can let it down. The T-62A is more reliable and consistent. If you have the shot opportunity, the T-62A will have a better chance of penning the shot, and will be bouncing more shots due to that stronk turret. The Obj 140 is suited for the better player, who doesn't need to rely on the godly accuracy and the stronk turret and will be putting the mobility and rotation ability to use. The T-62A is good for the starting player who needs some extra armor and a laser beam gun to farm the enemy. It's for this reason that I prefer the Obj 140. However, just because I prefer it doesn't mean that the T-62A is a bad tank, or is worse, or whatever. I'm able to have very similar averages in both of these tanks.

I will be attempting to make a YouTube video on this topic if I can find the time and footage, for those who learn better visually. Stay tuned. Now, I'd like to hear YOUR opinions and thoughts on these tanks, and please the answer the poll!

- Ntwadumela (aka Maverick)

Thanks for the post Maverick. I have the 140; my only tier 10. I went back and forth and read everything I could before I chose it.  Tier 10 is still a little above my skill level for a med. I’ve got less than 50 battles in it and am not very good in it. Maybe I would do better in a heavy at 10. 

I have never platooned at tier 10 and maybe that would help me. My best battle in it was teaming up with an IS-7 at Malinovka, flanking while he covered me. I don’t know the tier 10 tanks well enough yet to aid in my shot selection. Most heavies are nigh impossible to pen it seems and my flanking skills have a lot to be desired. 

__Frostbite #13 Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:33 AM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 30197 battles
  • [-0]

View PostBobboEvans, on 18 May 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

Maverick... thx for this post.  I actually have 62A and unlocked 140 but haven’t bought it.  I’m a ‘below average’ medium driver.  As I read your summary, I thought about my experience learning how to use HE.  What I learned is that you BETTER be sure you can pen.  If you’re not... ONE shot fired in a game using HE that doesn’t pen just reduced your game damage from a scenario where you fired regular ammo the whole game.  Usually.  My point is... isn’t reliability more important than a tank that is opportunistic?  Especially for us less than capable medium drivers?  What’s your thought on the better tank for the uneducated masses?  I’m sensing 62A.

Yeah...probably T-62A. But IDK. There's a lot that goes into just "consistency", to be honest. The T-62A is more reliant on positioning, since it can't run around as much as the Obj 140 and it also needs to be placed in an area where it can shoot with only 5 degrees of gun depression. I need to emphasis, the T-62A is only more reliant when it's locked down and in position. The Obj 140 needs to be moving around a bit more because the turret will eventually let you down when enough premium ammo is thrown at it. 

About your analogy, that's only partially correct to be honest, although I see your point. Imagine a target is just out of one-shot range for your AP. Like, if I'm facing a Batchat 25t with 390 HP exactly and I'm in a Leopard 1, I'm switching to HE. Even if I don't pen, then the next shot should be a much more guaranteed kill shot. It's about knowing how many shots it will take to kill an enemy with each ammo, and knowing when you can afford to use HE, or AP if you were thinking about using prammo for the guaranteed pen or AP for a bit more damage. 

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

Fishy___ #14 Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 38971 battles
  • [_STR8]

140 is better

/end

Big Noob

__Frostbite #15 Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:16 AM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 30197 battles
  • [-0]

View PostFishy___, on 19 May 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

140 is better

/end

agree

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users