Free aim (soft lock on''auto aim'')on mobile vs PC (hard lock)

free aim

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Si1verBlood #1 Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 15518 battles
  • [SR-71]

On mobile free aim is unreliable at best, which shouldnt be a surprize to me since I stopped using it for a while for that reason, but I had a situation in a recent battle where I was brawling with 2 meds (t62+54 vs my obj140). I wanted to keep watch of what the t54 was doing since the t62a was on 1 hit and so I switched to free aim...IT MISSED TWICE WHILE AIMING AT THE BROAD SIDE (slightly towards the back which I assume caused the misses)...basically I lost that brawl with the 62a dead because I switched to sniper and the t54 untouched...enough salt and I will get to the point...

Why cant we have the same type of free ''auto aim'' that people have on pc.....you know the kind that locks on the center of the hull of the tank?...it shouldnt be hard to introduce and we already play against people with that kind of advantage....

The argument I often see is that mobile auto aim grants a bigger advantage letting lock on a particular part of the tank, which honestly isnt true since it is a soft lock  and can easily get nullified....against a hard lock on the center of a tank hull......allowing us to hard lock on mobile will at least enable us to have more control over where a free aim shot will go...otherwise it is another layer of RNG that no one needs.

djhiz #2 Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

Never Say Die

• Players
  • 19845 battles
  • [F2K]
PC auto-aim does nothing to help lead a target that's moving, whereas it's easier to do using the mobile aim, and often the PC aim points at a part of the tank that auto-bounces (like on IS-X tanks), so it's not all positives on the PC end, but yes; I can't see how hard it would be to port the PC auto-aim to mobile and give users the choice.

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

4sfield #3 Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33335 battles
  • [-1]

There is a reason a lot of guys switched to PC.

I don’t want my spot picked for me. Center mass is not optimal because of LOS to the angle of the tank you’re targeting, if it lines up center in an angled heavy, that shot isn’t going to pen so you have to adjust anyway. Most of my shots are on moving vehicles and I rarely have the pipper on the tank when I pull the trigger because I’m leading the target, the “new” auto-aim doesn’t let me do this. 

When brawling In in and out of sniper mode, only using it to target my spot. The thing I don’t like about pc auto-aim is that it’s point and click, that is an unfair advantage. I have to steer my pipper to the spot I want to shoot and account for target speed and shell velocity, once they click they’re done. That is not the same and they get an advantage in acquisition time. It may not seem like much but it’s huge if you think about it, aiming at a moving target and picking a spot where you can pen is not as easily done on mobile. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

andyllinger #4 Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Mr. Hyde encantador

• Players
  • 30028 battles
  • [--M--]

View Postdjhiz, on 19 May 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

PC auto-aim does nothing to help lead a target that's moving, whereas it's easier to do using the mobile aim, and often the PC aim points at a part of the tank that auto-bounces (like on IS-X tanks), so it's not all positives on the PC end, but yes; I can't see how hard it would be to port the PC auto-aim to mobile and give users the choice.

^ this.

PC auto aim is many things but an advantage is not one of them. 

Edited by andyllinger, 19 May 2019 - 04:42 PM.

Tier X: Leo.1, E50 ME100, Jageroo, MAUS, E4E5, M48, T57, Obj.140, T-62, IS-7, IS-4, Obj.268, STB-1, 4202, BC.25T, WZ-113.

Si1verBlood #5 Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 15518 battles
  • [SR-71]

View Post4sfield, on 19 May 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

There is a reason a lot of guys switched to PC.

I don’t want my spot picked for me. Center mass is not optimal because of LOS to the angle of the tank you’re targeting, if it lines up center in an angled heavy, that shot isn’t going to pen so you have to adjust anyway. Most of my shots are on moving vehicles and I rarely have the pipper on the tank when I pull the trigger because I’m leading the target, the “new” auto-aim doesn’t let me do this. 

When brawling In in and out of sniper mode, only using it to target my spot. The thing I don’t like about pc auto-aim is that it’s point and click, that is an unfair advantage. I have to steer my pipper to the spot I want to shoot and account for target speed and shell velocity, once they click they’re done. That is not the same and they get an advantage in acquisition time. It may not seem like much but it’s huge if you think about it, aiming at a moving target and picking a spot where you can pen is not as easily done on mobile. 

View Postdjhiz, on 19 May 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Never said PC  hardlock is all advantage, on pc it is easier to lead tanks manually regardless...I would still would love to have the option to hardlock a tank while CODing it or in a situation similar to my example. 

minitel_NA #6 Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

PC is especially strong in heavies shooting at lights.

im playing iPad, and what I hate is suddenly it always aims at the red tank BEHIND my target.

i didn’t notice that prior to 3 months ago.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

j0nn0 #7 Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19432 battles
  • [XREGS]

View Postminitel_NA, on 19 May 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

im playing iPad, and what I hate is suddenly it always aims at the red tank BEHIND my target.

This has always been an issue. If they gave us a target toggle option it would be great. I currently use old autoaim on my ipad (i dont play on pc and rarely if ever on phone). The other autoaim is annoying as it automatically takes into account target velocity and attempts to lead a shot, regardless of actual conditions present. For example, a target rocking back and forth would cause the reticle to swing wildly left and right as it tried to overcompensate the lead zone for the instantaneous velocity. That's how it worked when I tried to use it months ago anyways. Not sure how it works now but im too lazy to bother and try.

My only issues with old autoaim on mobile is the target locking and complete absense of lead on targets. I have to forcefully break my cursor off a distant moving target to have a chance of hitting them, often at the cost of larger dispersion due to the more sudden turret movement. Sniper autozoom is also annoying since i dont have control of pre-aiming or degrees of zoom.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

Posit1ve_ #8 Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 54463 battles
  • [_V_]

I say this every time it comes up; but PC auto aim and mobile auto aim are meant to do 2 different things

Mobile auto-aim is a crutch. It's designed to keep aiming at the same spot you were to compensate for the fact that you only have 2 thumbs. Since you only have 2 thumbs, in order to press the shoot button, you have to stop aiming for a split second to actually press the fire button. Mobile autoaim is meant to compensate for this fact.

PC auto-aim is more of a tool. PC players don't need auto aim for actual aiming, or even shooting, since they have a mouse; rather it's meant to be used for specific situations; such as when the player needs to focus on driving in 3rd person, to lessen the random movements of the gun when firing on the move, or to traverse the turret while looking in an opposite direction.

For the situation you described, PC auto-aim excels; and it's one use I commonly use for auto aim. You lock onto the tank you want to traverse the turret towards, and this allows you to look at a different target without having to worry about where your turret will be pointed.

311 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

jahawa #9 Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17497 battles
  • [SPUDX]

I played on mobile for about the first year, then I got a laptop with Win 10. I was never a very good mobile player and never figured out the auto aim. I progressed slowly on PC and learned to really like the auto aim, but it does have it's limitations. As mentioned several times above the center of mass aim point is an issue and you have to know when to use it. CODing a heavy tank will get mostly bounces if you don't play it right.

After almost 3 years on PC now, I've tried playing some games on mobile on an old iPad. I'm not sure if it's the iPad or the auto aim, but I still haven't figured out the mobile auto aim. My iPad does lag some and that may be the problem with the auto aim. The PC is an advantage for me over mobile. Some say it's because I'm an old guy. Maybe so, because my son does things on it that I can never do.

I am amazed at some of the things players are able to do on mobile. This is a mental game, and if you are a uni, it doesn't matter what platform you play on.

FussyRude #10 Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5375 battles
  • [AZUR]
Who use auto-aim?
#LoveLuchs

j0nn0 #11 Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19432 battles
  • [XREGS]
Lol, Positive. Am i weird go using more fingers to fire then? I've regularly driven, done zoom mode, aimed, and fired simultaneously

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

__Frostbite #12 Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 24562 battles
  • [-0]
^^ basically what Positive said, I just want to add one more thing.

On PC, if you unbind your right mouse button so that it's set to nothing, it will then be automatically set as "free look". That allows you when holding the right mouse button to hold the turret in place and you can swivel the camera without moving the turret. As far as I know, its impossible to rebind free look to any other key. I usually have Sniper Mode on my scroll wheel for manual zoom, and one of the side buttons on my mouse or Shift for auto-lock.
rusty.

_Cletus #13 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24911 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Post_Ntwadumela, on 19 May 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

On PC, if you unbind your right mouse button so that it's set to nothing, it will then be automatically set as "free look". That allows you when holding the right mouse button to hold the turret in place and you can swivel the camera without moving the turret. As far as I know, its impossible to rebind free look to any other key. I usually have Sniper Mode on my scroll wheel for manual zoom, and one of the side buttons on my mouse or Shift for auto-lock.

Who are you anyway?

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

Posit1ve_ #14 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:44 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 54463 battles
  • [_V_]

View Post_Ntwadumela, on 19 May 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

Actually, free look by default is RMB, even if it's bound to auto aim, so you don't actually need to unbind it.

The only somewhat annoying thing that happens every now and then is when you're trying to keep your aim on one particular corner where a tank is peeking, but you also want to free look, so you right click to free-look, and also right click the tank you're aiming at in the process; thus moving your aim to his center mass which is behind the corner

311 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

minitel_NA #15 Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 19 May 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

I say this every time it comes up; but PC auto aim and mobile auto aim are meant to do 2 different things

Mobile auto-aim is a crutch. It's designed to keep aiming at the same spot you were to compensate for the fact that you only have 2 thumbs. Since you only have 2 thumbs, in order to press the shoot button, you have to stop aiming for a split second to actually press the fire button. Mobile autoaim is meant to compensate for this fact.

PC auto-aim is more of a tool. PC players don't need auto aim for actual aiming, or even shooting, since they have a mouse; rather it's meant to be used for specific situations; such as when the player needs to focus on driving in 3rd person, to lessen the random movements of the gun when firing on the move, or to traverse the turret while looking in an opposite direction.

For the situation you described, PC auto-aim excels; and it's one use I commonly use for auto aim. You lock onto the tank you want to traverse the turret towards, and this allows you to look at a different target without having to worry about where your turret will be pointed.

Nice description as always, and the part in bold is difficult to contend.

to me this is where PC has some strong advantage, being able to change ammo, lock auto-aim, drive forward and shoot (and possibly more), simultaneously. 

Being an iPad and light tank player, I grew tired of being shot by PC heavies players across the map with HE because point and click and ammo switch can all be done at the same time, while the guy doesn’t even stop. Also at that point, I had started to drive faster and faster tanks, and multitasking had become a strong necessity. And even if it’s wrong, being solo vs multiple enemies tends to happen to me every game, and often right from the start... but please don’t mention my yolo agressive style here please... since I can’t help it, I blame my team.

for all these reasons, I decided to move to a different  hand position where I can use more than just thumbs, and I thought I was alone, until a friend of mine called it the “claw”.  it might be widespread amongst good players but I have never read about it anywhere (or dared to ask or discuss this with anyone for the matter) so I thought it might need some description here. I don’t even know the hand position of my friend and I have never heard of anyone else but because of this reason maybe it can help a few readers.

• i set my drive and aim (and freelook) buttons for my thumbs, in each bottom corners.
  • Above these I arrange both fire buttons for my indexes, and the ammo and consumable choices on the right, for my indexes as well. That way I can at least drive, aim and shoot left, or for exemple drive, look, and change ammo (right) at the same time.
  • i use the 3 fingers on each side to support the iPad, particularly the pinkies are supporting below the lower corners. Sometimes I don’t and my left hand slips up the iPad, and I can’t drive forward anymore due to my thumbs unable to overflex backwards, but that is only my fault (for not holding correctly, not for having normal thumbs mind you) 

it’s still not as powerful as the keyboard, but at least it closes the gap. It didn’t take me long to get used to the new set up, maybe a session or two, it feels very natural. 

I hope it helps a few of you.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

RonaldusMaximus_ #16 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8147 battles
  • [HAHA]

View PostFussyRude, on 19 May 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

Who use auto-aim?

This ^^^^^

I have never used Auto-aim, never saw the advantage. And yes, I drive the heck out of lights.

Why would I want to sacrifice my own ability to aim exactly where I want? I learn the maps and get a good understanding of where the obstacles are so I do not crash (much) when I COD. Situational awareness is vastly under utilized.

View Post_Cletus, on 23 October 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

I don't know how I feel about Ronnie cosplaying a 9 year old with a stranger on the internet.....

TonnerreCadien #17 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

Cabri dans le Maïs

• Players
  • 44732 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Postminitel_NA, on 19 May 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

This drives me bonkers. Talk about a disadvantage. Nothing like bouncing off a target you weren't even aiming at.

jx1pteO.jpg

I'm too old to be a seal clubber! I can't tell you the last time I even went to a club!

"Go back to tier III!" - Every stat-fetisher who ever got salty with me in post-game chat

Des fois ce jeu est laid comme un coin de banquette, laisses-mon te dire...

RonaldusMaximus_ #18 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8147 battles
  • [HAHA]

View PostTonnerreCadien, on 20 May 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

This drives me bonkers. Talk about a disadvantage. Nothing like bouncing off a target you weren't even aiming at.

:D

View Post_Cletus, on 23 October 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

I don't know how I feel about Ronnie cosplaying a 9 year old with a stranger on the internet.....

Gavidoc01 #19 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 42180 battles
  • [III]

While PC autoaim has its advantages, so does mobile. Can PC autolock help? Yes but instances that it occurs are small enough to not be a HUGE issue and I see it as an added benefit more in a late game vs. early game. 

As for me? Tried PC for a few battles and honestly I prefer my two thumbs.

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

__Crusader6__ #20 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 59659 battles
  • [-C6-]

As an iOS player - I need auto-aim - simply as I cannot keep up with turret traverse when driving my tank. 

I can make some small changes to the aim - but cannot keep it on a fast moving tank if I am also moving quickly. 

I played a number of games on my iMac, the mouse on it is not conducive to playing Blitz - but even with it, I saw some significant advantages.   That said, my iMac doesn’t move to the toilet easily...

Honestly, for the most part I think it’s a wash between KBM/iOS, but it would be nice to have a better zoom for iOS. 

Tank Hoarder: 383 tanks in Garage:  375/385 aced (Mk1 Heavy and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users