Avengers time travel inconsistency is making me angry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

9_V0LT #1 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

They said time travel isn't like Back to the Future.

If you change your past, you don't change your present, you only make new time lines. Basically, as soon as you go back in time, you've created a new universe/timeline, different than your own. So going back in time to kill Thanos in the past, wouldn't keep Thanos from destroying half of all life in their own timeline, it would only create a new Universe/timeline, where Thanos died.

That's fine. That's great. I only have one question:

WHERE THE HELL DID OLD CAPTAIN AMERICAN COME FROM?

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

djhiz #2 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:15 PM

Never Say Die

• Players
  • 19707 battles
  • [F2K]

I'm pretty sure you can bring things from different timelines back into another timeline. He lived his life in that other timeline and was brought back as an old man into the timeline of the movie.

Not entirely sure I understand your question though...

Edited by djhiz, 21 May 2019 - 10:22 PM.

"Common sense is not so common"

- Voltaire Jingles

9_V0LT #3 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

View Postdjhiz, on 21 May 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure you can bring things from different timelines back into another timeline. He lived his life in that other timeline and was brought back as an old man into the timeline of the movie.

Not entirely sure I understand your question though...

Who brought him back? He didn't come back in the time machine.

Besides, the premise was that he wasn't brought back, but had just walked in and sat down on a nearby log, after hanging around the current universe/timeline for 50 years.

STACNICHSPEN #4 Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:26 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12678 battles
  • [SIX67]
I'd assume that Cap put all of the stones back, thereby preventing any alternate timelines, and then settled with Peggy in the normal timeline. While the directors offered a different take, the writers have said that Peggy's husband was always going to be Steve Rogers. So after he settled with Peggy, there were two Steve Rogers in the current timeline: one still in the ice until 2011, and one living a quiet, suburban life with Peggy.
wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!

little_brother_of_war #5 Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:42 AM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 14317 battles
  • [FROST]

Sorry, wish I knew what you’re referring to, so I don’t know have an answer for you.

But in an effort to extend sympathy for your dilemma, I will attest I have a time-related quandary of my own. I can’t figure out why I never seem to consistently make it to work at the same time every day, no matter how early I get up. I mean, it’s like I was just there the day before...

:facepalm:

Edited by little_brother_of_war, 22 May 2019 - 12:42 AM.

Old cowboy saying #1...

”Welp...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Old cowboy saying #2...

”If it bothers you so much, why talk about it?”

>>>============> anet’sodi’ <============<<<

AOT_Jaeger2 #6 Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:45 AM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17820 battles
  • [ASLAN]

Tbh, the movie dialed it in. “Yada yada time travel, yada yada stones, yada yada Thanos.” Tbh, their actions created all sorts of paradoxes and alternate timelines that the movie just...ignored. It was fun, but focusing on the details muddles it a lot.

For example, my biggest gripe of the movie: Why the eff does Nebula run on some sort of random Cloud system? It’s literally the only reason past Thanos found out and caused the whole conflict, but it literally makes no sense when you think about it.

Garage: T7 CC, R35, Light VIC, Tetrarch, M4A2E4, PzKpfw. IV Anko SP, KV-2, Strv. 74A2, LTTB, SU-122-44, IS-3, IS-5, KV-5, Lowe.

Was #24 VK 30.01 (P) Player in NA, #32 in Luchs

Stats:http://www.blitzstar...com/AOT_Jaeger2

Youtuber? I guess?

tanker070 #7 Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:34 AM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 55748 battles
  • [SRT-A]

Time for Cap works different than let's say Bucky who stood waiting for him.

While Cap traveled thru timelines and inserted stones in places, he was getting older and experiencing life. He deliberately stops at the point where he gets to have life with Peggy and finish that dance.  Thus spending his life with her. (maybe when she passes away). He decides to return to the original timeline where Bucky / Falcon / hulk are waiting for his arrival. But having spend all that time he is now old.

Me best shot to ponder away.

I wish to see this movie again on digital soon.

Oh and too much thinking is bad for our health

Commentary tanking →_→ #tankerTalks

My projects: SKILL FAMILY   LoweringYourExpectations on Youtube   SRT-AGOGE   CreatorsClub

WOTB -  C R E A T O R S  C L U B (so far 15 youtubers)

pro tip: Take Deep Breaths Often.

9_V0LT #8 Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:50 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostSTACNICHSPEN, on 22 May 2019 - 12:26 AM, said:

I'd assume that Cap put all of the stones back, thereby preventing any alternate timelines, and then settled with Peggy in the normal timeline. While the directors offered a different take, the writers have said that Peggy's husband was always going to be Steve Rogers. So after he settled with Peggy, there were two Steve Rogers in the current timeline: one still in the ice until 2011, and one living a quiet, suburban life with Peggy.

They already said in the movie, the “time gps” wrist thingy only gives you a limited time in the past. That’s why they were rushing all around during their trips back, because they only had a limited time before they had to get back or they’d be “stuck” in the past. 

Plus, even if Cap did come back, then that would mean the ending we say was not our primary timeline, but an alternate timeline, that Cap created by NOT coming back when he was supposed to. 

Where Cap disappears —and never comes back. Is the original, primary timeline. 

The part where Cap shows up all old and sitting on the log, is an alternate timeline. 

FussyRude #9 Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5224 battles
  • [AZUR]
An aswer to your question: hollywood crappy script.  
#LoveLuchs

wolfpack_41 #10 Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13457 battles

View Post9_V0LT, on 21 May 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

They said time travel isn't like Back to the Future.

If you change your past, you don't change your present, you only make new time lines. Basically, as soon as you go back in time, you've created a new universe/timeline, different than your own. So going back in time to kill Thanos in the past, wouldn't keep Thanos from destroying half of all life in their own timeline, it would only create a new Universe/timeline, where Thanos died.

That's fine. That's great. I only have one question:

WHERE THE HELL DID OLD CAPTAIN AMERICAN COME FROM?

Hey 9_VOLT check out rolthehardsixx on instagram. Matt Kirk He does photography for Marvel and Hasbro. He was just in Exclu8 magazine. He has a lot of answers. He helps me understand this stuff. He is fun to talk to. I am very proud of him. He is my son. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users