What is the correct choice to make when the team goes the wrong way?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

The_Flop #21 Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 51846 battles
  • [BTO]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 22 May 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Example 1: Normandy Team follows the heavy to A or worse the beach. Do you Cap C/D? or go with them?

Example 2: Canal  Team Goes A Ignoring your cries to go D, They ignore B/C.

Example 3: Port Bay, entire team goes town.

or any other map where there is a right way and a wrong way? How do you turn this steamer situation into a win? Especially when the usual reply to my urging is "JAJAJA"

Those are some extremely poor examples of "the wrong way". There are a couple of maps where I'd say you should go one way 95% of the time in a certain mode but team composition is far more important. A/B seems to be the preference of the better players on Normandy, Canal is completely spawn and team dependent and Port Bay is an incredibly tough fight med line of you don't have meds who can take the opposite side. Maps are far more balanced then in the past and there are far too many tanks that can go the opposite there "type" line.

4sfield #22 Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33335 battles
  • [-1]

View PostThe_Flop, on 22 May 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Those are some extremely poor examples of "the wrong way". There are a couple of maps where I'd say you should go one way 95% of the time in a certain mode but team composition is far more important. A/B seems to be the preference of the better players on Normandy, Canal is completely spawn and team dependent and Port Bay is an incredibly tough fight med line of you don't have meds who can take the opposite side. Maps are far more balanced then in the past and there are far too many tanks that can go the opposite there "type" line.

I don’t play supremacy.

Team composition by tank types should dictate where EVERYONE goes...but it doesn’t. 

I’m still of the belief that town is bad and I don’t care what the mix is. It’s the same at Port Bay, I believe town is bad no matter what the mix. I think the issue is guys pick bad positions and play defensively giving up the initiative. This makes it hard on the mediums and lights that are out front. Guys don’t look to prosecute target, instead they look to ambush. This is bad for medium and lights. 

You have to look at every game as it’s happening. You can’t just say this is how it is or this is how it’s going to be because you can’t depend on anyone to do what they should do. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

minitel_NA #23 Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 22 May 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

Example 1: Normandy Team follows the heavy to A or worse the beach. Do you Cap C/D? or go with them?

Example 2: Canal  Team Goes A Ignoring your cries to go D, They ignore B/C.

Example 3: Port Bay, entire team goes town.

or any other map where there is a right way and a wrong way? How do you turn this steamer situation into a win? Especially when the usual reply to my urging is "JAJAJA"

the easy answer is to go with them and do what u can do to help.

the not simple at all answer is that it depends on the map, teamlist, the tank you are driving and your skills. As an ambush, blocking, or light  tank, you can be effective as (respectively) a stay behind, a stay behind, and an active scout. Personally I love this situation as it is very challenging, and I can feel right from the start the responsibility of the game lay upon my shoulder. Plus it’s non conventional battle that promises to be not-boring all together trading shots behind a rock. So this all makes me generally excited in that situation, though I would really advise to avoid it altogether whenever possible. Chances of success are slim, and skills needed are high. 

i will give as an exemple a T95 will earn a lot by entrenching himself and wait. He can survive half of the game 1v3 and that might be enough time for your team to recover from its inabilities. 

Also as a WaffleTräder, waiting behind a bush or at the angle of a building, shooting a fat HE into the first BC Turing the street corner and pressing engine boost until the next street corner, and repeating until they finally get you or until you have rejoined your team. 

etc...

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

AdderaII #24 Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

Can’t Pass Without it!

• Players
  • 18123 battles
  • [OGRE]

If your team goes the wrong way, then go the right way and do the best you can until you die, then spend the rest of the game calling them cretins and eaters of wall candy. 

However, if you lack moral fiber and would easily trade your principals for a win in a video game, then go with the majority. 

The player formerly known as, Adderall4life

minitel_NA #25 Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 22 May 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Funny how you can say idiota, but the English version is censored. 

probably because in the scale of Spanish curse, idiota is rated gentle.

Maybe even diminishing the credibility of the party making use of it.

XD

minitel_NA #26 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Postacrisis, on 22 May 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

If the team goes the "wrong way" ... follow, especially solo.  The number of times I got spanked as a duo for going the right way, thinking I could hold the hill with my toon mate, team would come around once I spot the reds .....  It is better to just tag along and make the best of it, versus getting deleted right out the gate, I think.  

You can go alone anywhere, but only anywhere where there’s an escape option.

in planning your escape that accounts for route, time, and red dpm vs green HP.

If you manage these parameters, going alone is safe. I very much like what 4sfield and crusader wrote in this thread. 

If I can quote 4sfield who has another way to saying the same thing I did :

Block Quote

On just about every map I don’t commit to any one position and everything I do is situational,

Dif you play a fragile tank, don’t commit. Not only be ready to bail out, more exactly consider your bail out plan at all times, even while agressing someone.

__Crusader6__ #27 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60300 battles
  • [-C6-]

View PostThe_Flop, on 22 May 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

No. 

Anyone going A at the start on Normandy is brain dead - it low ground and takes you out of the fight.  

As for Canal, A has open fire lines to it, anyone near B/C can spot routes to A and any TD’s that are waiting will make it a rough go with a great deal of health loss.  

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

_Cletus #28 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 25340 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 22 May 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

No. 

Anyone going A at the start on Normandy is brain dead - it low ground and takes you out of the fight.  

As for Canal, A has open fire lines to it, anyone near B/C can spot routes to A and any TD’s that are waiting will make it a rough go with a great deal of health loss.  

I'm not a fan of teams going A at Canal.  I don't mind a TD or two over there, but so many times teams want to lemming train and cram themselves over there without having any spotters.  What's the point of having open fire lines if you don't have any red tanks lit up?  I'll usually drag my fat heavy butt to B/C to spot but my heavies aren't great at spotting and I often end up alone over there.  A rarely works out for me, I absolutely prefer the D side.

The only people going A at Normandy are the people sitting by themselves on the beach after the rest of their team is dead.  In other words, it's usually a bad idea for the team.  I certainly don't mind a light jumping down there and grabbing the base, but the team doesn't need to be dragged over there.

Edited by _Cletus, 22 May 2019 - 08:38 PM.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

__V_O_P__ #29 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34034 battles
  • [CURSD]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 22 May 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

No. 

Normandy “A” seems like a bad plan but I wonder if a poor plan violently executed together might be better than an ideal plan executed separately. 

I’ve been struck by the number of times recently I’ve heard Rolling Swarm clarify the difference between map positions in terms of Tourny play and Public play. 

RonaldusMaximus_ #30 Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8762 battles
  • [HAHA]
I do agree that it entirely depends on team make up, but it infuriates me when you have 2 or 3 good meds or lights that all go the heavy path, especially when the lights don't even scout for the heavies, they stay behind being useless.  That's what I was specifically was addressing at the start of this post.. The entire team goes the wrong way. I was not implying that every map has a right way and wrong way for every team make up. If I am the only light or med Ill scout ahead for the td's and then turn around and scout the rear flank especially if the Red team has more meds and lights than the Green.

View Post _Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1: Don't open your mouth in an alley.

_Cletus #31 Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 25340 battles
  • [HAHA]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 22 May 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

I do agree that it entirely depends on team make up, but it infuriates me when you have 2 or 3 good meds or lights that all go the heavy path, especially when the lights don't even scout for the heavies, they stay behind being useless.  That's what I was specifically was addressing at the start of this post.. The entire team goes the wrong way. I was not implying that every map has a right way and wrong way for every team make up. If I am the only light or med Ill scout ahead for the td's and then turn around and scout the rear flank especially if the Red team has more meds and lights than the Green.

A year ago I would have said that the team really needs to stick together every time, but it seems like things have changed so now on many maps it's good for the team to split.  Normandy is a prime example.  The heavies are gonna go fight at C/D but I really like the meds/lights to flank around B.

Players need to learn tank classes and their roles in battle.  Lights spot, meds flank, heavies push, and TD's snipe.  I know there's exceptions but in general it's that simple.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

RonaldusMaximus_ #32 Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8762 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Post_Cletus, on 22 May 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

Players need to learn tank classes and their roles in battle.  Lights spot, meds flank, heavies push, and TD's snipe. 

WG should put that on the splash screen before the battle countdown begins

View Post _Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1: Don't open your mouth in an alley.

Absolute_Sniper #33 Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38217 battles
  • [CRU2L]
There are no right answers that fit each game. It’s all dependent on what happens and what map and tank you’re in.

A good rule of thumb is did what you do work? If it did and you won, it was the right call. If you lost, it was the wrong call. Everything else is circumstantial.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

2_of_Hearts #34 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1907 battles
  • [-TSS-]

Go the wrong way because:

1) maybe the other team is also composed of mongoloids and will go there too

And, if 1 holds true,

2) maybe your mongoloids are better than their mongoloids at going the wrong way

Edited by 2_of_Hearts, 22 May 2019 - 10:31 PM.

Immel_man #35 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:02 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 59423 battles
  • [YODA_]
I’m with crusader6 on this one. I tend to freelance regardless of what my team does. The lemming train to choke points doesn’t really do anyone any good when only one gun fits anyways.
Also map control is just as critical as “focus fire” or target selection. When every tanker goes ship side on Yamato harbor that gives up a lot of high ground for the enterprising sniper to pick apart a red team from, for example. Same idea on canyons, in fact, I think I find myself living in the middle of the map these days more than anywhere else.
That’s where I think as a PC player I have the advantage of mobile (not auto aim); is screen size and the ability to use the whole map.

Edited by Immel_man, 22 May 2019 - 11:03 PM.

__Crusader6__ #36 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 60300 battles
  • [-C6-]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 22 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Normandy “A” seems like a bad plan but I wonder if a poor plan violently executed together might be better than an ideal plan executed separately. 

I’ve been struck by the number of times recently I’ve heard Rolling Swarm clarify the difference between map positions in terms of Tourny play and Public play. 

Oh I’m in full agreement that a bad plan well execute is better than no plan at all. 

However A just takes a long time and once down you can be easily pinned. 

I prefer a B then C/D - with understanding that pushing from C to D or vice versa can be a massive danger area.  

But that said if see another Maus drive down to A, I’m going to scream. 

Tank Hoarder: 386 tanks in Garage:  381/390 aced,    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

MSGTGlitterGlue #37 Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Challenge(r) Accepted

• Players
  • 17125 battles
  • [CHEF]

on port bay, town is suicide, no matter what.

on middleburg, town can be pulled off only if your team has a total of 1 medium and light tanks (and maybe 2)

regardless, if we have 2+ mediums, youll almost always see me going hill in middleburg (the exception is the mediums are bad and go town or I’m a medium and i wanna pull a sneaky flank because the reds have EVEN LESS mediums

I’m a 46.96 47.57 percenter

But I’m an IMPROVING 47.57 percenter

Don’t be a political dissident, because then I’ll have to sacrifice you.

Fu_Manchu_ #38 Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11504 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostMSGTGlitterGlue, on 23 May 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

on port bay, town is suicide, no matter what.

on middleburg, town can be pulled off only if your team has a total of 1 medium and light tanks (and maybe 2)

regardless, if we have 2+ mediums, youll almost always see me going hill in middleburg (the exception is the mediums are bad and go town or I’m a medium and i wanna pull a sneaky flank because the reds have EVEN LESS mediums

The absolutes in your statements are, at best, misleading. If town on Port Bay is "suicide, no matter what" then what happens when both teams go town? I definitely prefer the river side on encounter, but I have had a lot of success calling A B when it's supremacy. If you can get both capped quickly and the other team goes to C, it becomes a tough fight for them to win before you get 1000 cap points.

Again with Middleburg, town "can be pulled off" with any team lineup. Particularly if the other team goes town as well. But hill is preferable on Middleburg.

AKA HanYolo_.

___ez_e___ #39 Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 63155 battles
  • [GORT]

It definitely high risk high reward to go it alone.   I pretty much go alone based on my comfort level of tank, map, match, etc.  

In every case, I seem to avoid towns.

The position I pick have good hard cover and usually good team support.   

Edited by ___ez_e___, 23 May 2019 - 10:05 PM.

Bellatormonk #40 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 29220 battles
  • [MASHU]
Personally I just go play with the Rubber Ducky on Port Bay if the team is simply brain dead and rolls town with mostly Meds in the mix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users