Please Buff Grille's Camo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gunshotx #1 Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

Egotistical Noob

• Players
  • 22004 battles
  • [SR-71]

The Grille is a decent tank. Many people really like it a lot. I am not one of those people. I have both the Grille and the 268, and I would take the 268 in almost any situation; it's simply vastly superior. Let's compare them:

Pros of 268:

Frontal armor will troll meds all day. If using armor correctly you should bounce the majority of shots from guns below 250 pen.

100 more HP

Camo absolutely blows Grille out of the water. Highest stationary camo in the game allows you to stay hidden even at ranges closer than 170-180m.

Faster traverse speed.

Lower profile.

More HE usability due to higher pen.

Gun has highest penetration round in game (HEAT) and second highest AP round (beat only by 183, whose gun handling makes it nearly irrelevant).

7 degrees of frontal gun depression. When gun is fully depressed armor is very, very tough to pen. Not only this but it's reverse speed is also faster, letting it get off ridges after firing very quickly.

Better bloom on the move (less relevant for TD's but still noticable).

Pros of Grille:

Sort of has a turret...

Better P/W ratio and slightly higher top speed (by 2 km/h)

Faster aim time and better fully aimed dispersion. 

Faster shell velocity.

Higher DPM (this is touted as one of the Grille's main advantages. What people rarely acknowledge, however, is that because it has such thin armor, the use of HE almost always negates this DPM advantage. Any medium firing HE will chew a grille to pieces in 20 seconds or less.)

The main thing that bothers me is that Grille is advertised as the best sniper in the game. So then why is it's camo so bad?? After firing, grilles camo is reduced to a whopping 1%. What?? The whole point of the grille is to stay hidden and yet this is nearly impossible considering it's camo. 

Okay, now that my rant is over, here is my proposed change. PLEASE buff it's camo. Like, a lot. Around the same level as 268. THAT'S IT.  Strip it's DPM if needed for balance. But let it become a true sniper and make use of it's gun handling, because that's the playstyle the rest of the line plays like.

TL;DR please, Wargaming, buff the Grille's camo. It's HEable armor combined with abysmal camo make both it's concealment and survivability very bad, which leads to a very bad tank in my opinion.

__V_O_P__ #2 Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28777 battles
  • [CURSD]
Dude. You’re running 57% win rate over 30 days. What more do you need?

tanker070 #3 Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 53165 battles
  • [SRT-A]

Return Grille's gun traverse back to what it was. Camo I don't even mind (kinda do, pls make it half as better as pre-nerf 183)

Love this tank now, loved it even more before they nerfed it cuz it good and didn't have obj. in it's name.

Grille needs buff to either camo / speed / gun traverse.

To see my work search #tankerTalks

My projects: www.clan-skill.com   LoweringYourExpectations on Youtube   SRT-AGOGE   CreatorsClub

[SRT] https://discord.gg/ZDY4Dpk
"As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those, that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist." - The Mad Titan

zeropercenter #4 Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:20 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 25 battles
Should have some buff to make it play like a WT with a better gun.

Edited by zeropercenter, 26 May 2019 - 02:21 AM.

_Ntwadumela #5 Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 22879 battles
  • [_V2_]

I gave up on this a while ago and I exclusively play the Obj 268 because it's just better. The Grille is a novelty tank. I'd know, I have 1200 games in it. The crap gun bloom and terrible depression/elevation angles along with the crap penetration and the crap camo rating, combined with the crap traverse and the crap armor makes the Grille, quite literally, a piece of CRAP on the battlefield. It performs well on about 2 maps (Castilla and Canal primarily), which I mean allow it to get to areas on the map and snipe like it's supposed to. The rest force it to either play as an ineffective sniper or an ineffective second-line support. You can't play second line very well because either the gun depression, gun bloom, lack of pen, traverse, camo, or armor will let you down. If you want to snipe on those other maps, you're forced to either be vulnerable to flanking or the only shots available to you are lanes that are not frequented enough.

I think the Grille should literally just be a platform for a great gun. The gun should be the best in the game, hands-down. What's the point of going after a paper TD that's more restrictive on its capabilities than its predecessor, the WT auf Pz. IV? If you're wondering what I mean, the top gun on the WT is legitimately better than the Grille's. Sure, the DPM is slightly less, slightly less AP pen, tad worse dispersion and aim time. But all those are just "slightlies", small little improvements that end up mattering little in the game. The WT auf Pz. IV gets higher HE pen, acceptable gun bloom, and a TURRET. That's HUGE. For one, this decreases the bloom because you don't have to move the tracks when the targets goes out of the gun arc, or when moving in to take a shot (by preaiming), it cuts down on the bloom. There's an aim time advantage, and a significant one as well. Also, you lose your stationary camo rating and disrupt the camo net. The Grille doesn't even have good camo in the first place, keeping it stationary is very important. In addition, having a turret prevents you from being COD'ed, which is really annyoing when it happens when playing the Grille, as the traverse sucks. The last thing is that a turret allows you to poke areas with less of the tank exposed (all the WT needs to do to poke is nudge the rear out slightly at a 90 degree angle with the gun preaimed, and slide back into cover. The Grille has to "sidescrape" out which makes it more liable to take damage. 

-For one, it needs to have at least 6 degrees of gun depression over the front. 5 degrees in a rear mounted target, tall vehicle? If anything gets into a facehug with you, you are screwed. 

-Allow the turret to move 90 degrees in both directions or hell, make it fully turnable like the Rhm and the WT.

-Nerf the bloom on movement down to .2, at the very minimum, or what I really think is fair would be .18 like the WT auf Pz. IV. .3 is just terrible and frankly embarrassing for a tank that's supposed to have the best accuracy in the game. The reason this is so important is because it REQUIRES the Grille to aim in for at least a second and a half every time you move in to make a half decent shot. Other tanks can snapshot or aim for a third of that because their bloom is better even if the dispersion isn't as good(at an actual acceptable increase like .18 like the WT's) and that makes the Grille suck at any type of non-completely sniping gameplay, which is inevitable in every game.

-Increase the penetration on the AP to 290mm, HEAT to 350mm, and the HE to 85mm. 

Look, I get it, the Grille is big and I understand the camo rating shouldn't be amazing. I can live with it being terrible although proper balancing would give it at least good camo as say, the 183 pre-nerf. I also understand the traverse needs to be or it becomes way too flexible on the battlefield. But for God's sake, the gun's characteristics should be at least average at Tier X in some ways, and better in other. Instead, it suffers. Even if the Grille had the same gun characteristics as the WT auf Pz. IV (although they should be better because its a tier higher!!), that would make it functional. It'd still be worse than the WT auf Pz. IV, but it would be an improvement.

What was supposed to be a minute long post has turned into an hour. Whatever.

“He Who Greets With Fire”
Get to know me on Discord: _Ntwadumela#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

gunshotx #6 Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

Egotistical Noob

• Players
  • 22004 battles
  • [SR-71]
My thoughts exactly. The WT is, in my opinion, the superior tank. Not only does it have all the advantages you just mentioned, it also has fantastic camo. Grille just feels like such a disappointment to end the line...

ARandomGenieGuy #7 Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16544 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Didn’t knew the grille sucked so hard. Specially in the Camo department. If the FV183 has way better camo, then sure give the damn thing a buff. Also what’s the point of a tier X TD with a worse performing gun than the previous tier for the sake of DPM? *cough* Foch 155 *cough* 

Melissa_Durat #8 Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15244 battles
  • [-HELL]
1% camo?! Migth as well remove the camo and sabe a bit of credits. 

VelociTanker #9 Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14479 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Lousy camo rating is just a quiet nerf. Just like the AMX 13 57 has an absolutely horrendous camo rating for such a tiny tank.

As seen getting lucky on Littlefinger101 Youtube channel

Bias Much? KV-1 blocks 5,525 damage / 6 kills 

Subscriber Replay on Mines T34-1 2809 dmg Kolobanov
Looking to join forces with good people to improve my game in tourneys, make me an offer.
5.5 aka "The Great Nerfening" © VelociTanker LLC

_Ntwadumela #10 Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 22879 battles
  • [_V2_]

View PostARandomGenieGuy, on 26 May 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Didn’t knew the grille sucked so hard. Specially in the Camo department. If the FV183 has way better camo, then sure give the damn thing a buff. Also what’s the point of a tier X TD with a worse performing gun than the previous tier for the sake of DPM? *cough* Foch 155 *cough* 

Well, only recently has the 183 had its camo nerfed, and nerfed it they did. It's actually like Maus level now. Before the great nerf though, 183 had middle-of-the-pack camo values in Tier X TD's.

“He Who Greets With Fire”
Get to know me on Discord: _Ntwadumela#3656
Join this Discord server while you're at it: 
sR2X6Hp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users