Is a premium tank right for you? A Guide to Premium Tanks.

Premium Tank Premium Tanks Purchasing Buying Advice

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Aventre3 #1 Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

I regularly see posts here in the forums asking about the benefits of premium tanks (vs premium time or converting free experience) or about which tank is best. So I thought that I’d write up this guide about the pros and cons of premium tanks and offer advice on making a selection and deciding which tank might be right for you.

IF YOU ONLY READ ONE THING PLEASE READ THE SECTION BELOW ON “WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT HIGHEST TIER”! It is marked by ***

Benefits of Premium Tanks

1. Increase Credit Earning. Premium tanks have a better credit earning multiplier than standard tanks that you can research from the tech trees. Many players use premium tanks to bankroll their high tier (VIII-X) tanks. Different tanks have different credit earning potential and Tier VIII tanks tend to be the big credit earners.

2. Collecting Tanks. Some people purchase premium tanks like collectors items or simply for the fun of a specific tank. Tanks like the Fury and Snowstorm Jg. Tiger 8.8 are limited editions, while many swear that the T2 Light is one of the most fun tanks in the game.

3. Converting Free Experience. While all the experience you earn on a premium tank IS NOT FREE EXPERIENCE, you can use gold to convert the experience on the premium tank to free experience. Premium Tanks are already elite, so there is nothing to grind, nothing to research so you could start converting premium experience right away. Though any elite tank (all upgrades and tanks researched from that tank) from the tech tree can also be used to convert free experience.

4. Permanent. Unlike premium time which will go away eventually, your premium tank will not go anywhere. War Gaming might modify the tank’s stats now and then, but as long as the game exists you will have your tank.

Caveats of Premium Tanks

1. Cost real money. You can’t buy premium tanks with credits, only with cash or gold (which you can also buy for cash). If you sell a premium tank you can’t get gold back, only the tank’s value in credits. You can sometimes win tanks or gold in contests though (see below)

2. Premium Tanks are not better than regular tanks! This one is really important. Premium tanks are designed to be better than a stock tank of the same tier, but not better than an elite tank (fully researched) of the same tier. Buying a premium tank does not mean you will win.

3. Jumping Tiers. Because you don’t have to “earn” a premium tank you can easily get in over your head. Anyone with an account can buy any premium tank, so its easy to find players who’s regular tanks are in low tiers playing a tier VIII premium. Unfortunately these players are ill equipped to compete in high tier matches without having developed a skill foundation in the lower tiers.

4. Vs. Premium Time. Premium time gives ALL of your tanks a 50% boost to profits earned AND experience earned. This is a better option if you want to grind up a tank line more quickly. I personally prefer premium tanks to premium time as I don't like my purchases to end. If you run premium time and premium tanks together, you will never think about credits again.

Which tank is right for you?

There are quite a few variables that will factor into this decision and I’ll break it down here. Generally try to learn about the tank before you buy it. If you can research the tank a little bit before you purchase the tank, you can get a better idea of whether or not the tank will match your play style, or if you will need to learn new skills to drive a new tank.

What Is Your Highest Tier Currently?  *** Most important advice! ***

The general wisdom is that you shouldn’t buy a premium tank that is at a higher tier than your current top tier tank that you have played. So if you’ve only just started and now have your T2 Medium (Tier II), the T2 Light (Tier II) might be right for you. If you are playing the IS-3 (Tier VIII) then you might be ready for that Tier VIII Premium (like the IS-6). If you skip ahead in tiers the skill level jump is HUGE, which could lead you to be very frustrated with your new tank (dying, loosing) and getting yelled at in game by your teammates. That being said I bought the T34 (Tier VIII) when my highest tier tank was the T29 (Tier VII) but I decided it was an acceptable jump for me as those two tanks are extremely similar and require the same skill sets.

What Type of Tank?

For your first tank I would stick with the type of tank that you are driving the most or a heavy tank. Medium tanks tend to be harder to do well in and require more skill as mobility is used to avoid taking shots, while heavy tanks actually have armor to protect you. I tend not to drive Tank Destroyers (TDs) very much, so I am not ideally suited to offering advice on premium TDs.

What is the Matchmaking (MM) for the Tank?

Currently regular tanks in Tiers II - IV only see one tier below and one tier above them (-1/+1), Tiers V-VI see one tier below and two tiers above (-1/+2), and Tiers VII-VIII see two tiers below and two tiers above (-2/+2). Some Premium tanks receive preferential matchmaking, such as the IS-6, KV-5, Panther/M10, Jg. Tiger 8.8 (-2/+1) while others such as the Valentine and Pz. B2 are (-1/+0). This preferential matchmaking can be very nice, but the tank may often “need” to have this matchmaking due to low penetration of the gun or other “flaws”. Do your research and think about how the tank you are interested in will perform with its matchmaking. Also, if you platoon a tank with preferential matchmaking to a tank of the same tier with regular matchmaking, you will be given the same matchmaking as the tank you are platooning with. That is, if you platoon an IS-6 and a T34, the IS-6 can get dragged into Tier X matches.

Credit Earning Abilities?

Generally, the higher the tier of the premium tank, the higher the credit earnings. Though if you choose a tank that doesn’t suit you currently, you won’t see the potential (if you aren’t winning and doing well, they won’t earn as much). If you are interested in credit earnings, the Tier VII or VIII premium tanks (or the SU-100Y) will be where you really notice the credit earning potential.

Cost?

How much does the tank cost? One important thing to consider, especially if you are on a budget, is what is your bang-for-the-buck? The SU-100Y, Panther/M10, and KV-5, tend to be less expensive and still have good credit earnings.

Is Premium Ammo Needed?

Some premium tanks need premium ammo to really shine if they have low penetration. (Alternatively you can always try to play to the tank’s strengths and flank and hit weak spots). If you are using premium ammo, you should buy them for credits NOT gold.

Common Questions

Should I sell my (insert premium tank name here)?

No!

Longer answer: No! If you sell a premium tank, you will only get credits for the tank, credits which you could have earned easily by playing said premium tank. Also, the forum is full of stories of people selling premium tanks when they decided they hated the tank after a handful of games. Often these same players later decided that the tank they sold is awesome and want to re-buy it. Often it can take more than 100 battles to work out the kinks with a new tank, give it time and be patient.

I don’t have money for a premium tank, can I still get one?

Yes! Look for contests on the forums where you can win tanks or gold. Save up your gold and then wait for a sale on premium tanks. There are often 50% sales on low tier tanks for gold and occasionally you may see middle tier tanks on sale too. I've only seen Tier VIII Premium Tanks on sale once, so I'm not sure how often this may happen, once or twice a year and usually only 1 or 2 tanks are on sale as opposed to all Tier VIII Premiums.

War Gaming also will give away free premium tanks to everyone for special occasions so hang in there. (M3 Light and LTP were free tanks)

More Information

I would highly recommend that you search the forum for reviews and watch replays or guides to specific premium tanks if you would like to see what a tank is like, or if you just want to improve your gameplay. This is a great way to learn tactics that are specific to certain tanks. Also read up on general strategies and tactics that will be referenced here. Also WoTGuru and WoTLabs have useful reviews of tanks and tactics that are for the PC, but are generally true on Blitz too. When possibly I tried to include links to full reviews or gameplay videos for each tank below (keep in mind some examples may be epic games where everything goes the right way).

Additionally I created some polls for Tier VIII Premium Tanks to ask users if they would recommend a given tank, the links are below:

Tier VIII American and German Tanks

Tier VIII Russian and British Tanks

There was also a great recent post going over the tanks with the lowest and highest average win rates. This might be a useful place to look to see how "easy" a tank might be to drive. Though these numbers do not necessarily reflect how good a tank is per se, just how user friendly it is. The Panther/M10 is rated very low, but it the right hand it is an excellent tank.
Best and Worst Tanks in Game by Win Rate

Very Short Summary of Select Premium Tanks

If a tank is left out, that doesn't mean much, I just wanted to cover the most common tanks or the ones I know best. Also these opinions are mine, others may disagree with me.

T34. Tier VIII American Heavy. (Good option for first high tier premium tank)

Basically the same tank as the T29, just a little bit more sluggish with a BIG gun. Damage per shot (400 average) and penetration are excellent. Reload time is very slow and aim time is also slow. Turret armor is excellent and hull armor is weak, so use hull down tactics (hide the hull behind a hill, tank, ect). Most drivers really like this tank, though a few think its too slow, reloads to slow, or don’t like going hull down. Great credit potential. Rarely uses premium ammo. MM -2/+2.

Review: Aventre3

Gameplay: Str8UpJack

IS-6. Tier VIII Russian Heavy. (Good option for first high tier premium tank)

Similar to IS-3. This tank has great armor with weakspots that are easy to negate. Learn how to angle your armor for maximum benefit. Gun does great damage (390 average) but accuracy and penetration are lacking. Generally a well liked tank, because, well... Russian bias. Great credit potential, but using premium ammo can start to eat into profits. Premium ammo is useful. MM -2/+1

Gameplay: Thunderthies

KV-5. Tier VIII Russian Heavy.

Similar to KV-4. This tank has great armor with a HUGE weakspot that you have to learn to negate. Learn how to angle your armor for maximum benefit. Gun is a little lacking in damage and especially in penetration. Can be a great ramming platform too! Great credit potential, but harder to drive well. May cost less than others.  Premium ammo is usefull. MM -2/+1

Jg. Tiger 8.8. Tier VIII German Tank Destroyer.

This tank has the great frontal armor of the Jg. Tiger (Tier IX) with a rapid firing low damage gun. Tank is slow to turn and vulnerable to being flanked. Damage per minute is fantastic. One of the best credit earners on PC. Premium ammo is not needed often. MM -2/+1

Gameplay: Thunderthies

Super Pershing. Tier VIII American Medium.

This tank is a medium in name only, its slow like a heavy tank (or slower). Historically this was a super heavy tank in WWII and was an up-armored and up-gunned Pershing. In the game the armor is great but with well known weakspots. The gun is a little lacking so premium ammo might be useful. Some people love it and some hate it.  MM -2/+1.

Gameplay: dimzzy

Lowe. Tier VIII German Heavy.

I don’t know much about this tank other than it has a very accurate gun. Best if you can keep your foes at bay. This is the Tier VIII premium tank that I see the least in battles. MM -2/+2.

Gameplay: HughJass07

Panthr/M10. Tier VII German Medium.

Currently the only premium tank that drives like a true medium and has great credit earning potential. The penetration is a little low, but as a medium you should be flanking to get shots into weaker sides and flanks anyway. A good cost effective credit grinder and a favorite of really good players with very good credit potential. Premium ammo useful at times. MM -2/+1

Reviews: Aventre3, Thunderthies, Serapth

Gameplay: _Salient

AT-15A. Tier VII British Tank Destroyer.

This tank looks like its got some great armor and a rapid firing low damage gun. Downsides include slow speed and some obvious weakspots? Just out so we will reserve judgment and see what everyone thinks. MM -2/+1

Gameplay: RAMBO357

SU-100Y. Tier VI Russian Tank Destroyer.

Big tank, little armor, BIGGER gun. While this tank is a big target the gun packs a mighty punch. Downsides of such a powerful gun is long reload time. One of the best credit grinders for the money. Premium ammo not needed. MM -1/+2

Dicker Max. Tier VI German Tank Destroyer.

Fury. Tier VI American Medium.

A premium version of the M4A3E8 from the movie starring Brad Pitt. MM -1/+2

Review: Aventre3

Gameplay: hughjass07

Ram II. Tier V American Medium.

Decent frontal armor (against lower tiers) and rapid firing gun on a mobile platform are the pluses here. Downside is low penetration and damage per shot. Premium ammo useful. MM -1/+2

Gameplay: LkASr

SU-85i. Tier V Russian Tank Destroyer. (originally written by Sallysipad12)

A fast, maneuverable, low-profile TD with a great gun (good rate of fire and damage).  Like many TDs the armor is very light (Keep moving if you want to stay alive) and no turret. Premium ammo usually not needed. MM -1/+2

Valentine II. Tier IV Russian Light.

A light tank in name only, the Valentine is about armor and slower because of it. The penetration is lacking and premium ammo could be useful. MM -1/+0

A-32. Tier IV Soviet Medium. (originally written by Looney999)

One word - Mobility! 70km/h top speed (2nd only to T2 Light) and generally agile. Decided to equip enhanced suspension due to catching so much air and wrecking my own tracks! Good armor for it's tier and good HP pool as well but not quite as armored as the Valentine, so keep moving! Uses a tier III Derp gun with low penetration, which is good for side/rear shots. Premium ammo useful. MM -1/+1.

T2 Light. Tier II American Medium.

Generally considered one of the most fun tanks in the game as it is also the fastest. It bleeds speed in turns, so plan your route carefully and then zip through the red tanks so quickly they didn’t even have time to aim. Gun is a little weak, but lets face it, this tank is all about running around maps and having fun (and sometimes running up behind a red tank, dumping a clip, and getting out before they can respond). Update 10/2015: after buying this tank on sale and more than 100 battles later, I think this is one of the best tanks at its tier. Fantastic speed, maneuverability, and DPM make this a powerful tank capable of flexing all over the map to wipe up baby seals. Please note that individual experience may vary depending on skill level. MM -1/+1

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Is there sometime that I forgot to cover? If you could offer advice to a friend on their first premium tank what would it be? Do you have a link to a review or gameplay video I should add? If you want to add a brief summary of a tank I’ll also add it to the list at the bottom.

Edited by Aventre3, 11 October 2015 - 12:02 AM.

For advice and review of Premium Tanks, please see this post.

Xeraux #2 Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3312 battles

I've got a Jackson and KV-1S as my biggest tanks. Is it okay to buy a T34, JT 8.8, Super Pershing, and IS-6?

Spoiler

PC super-unicum

Retired Blitz unicum Current Blitz pubbie

Blitz garage:

M5 Stuart, M4 Sherman, T82, Pz II J, BT-7 A, A-20, T-34-85 Victory, KV-2, IS, IS-6, SU-122-44, Cruiser IV, Centurion I, AT 15A, Ke-Ho, O-47

JDMluv18 #3 Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5901 battles
Great guide! This should be pinned on the Newcomers Forum & here. +1!

Proud Member of Luckyshots & Imperium

Tanks in my Garage: LTP, Covenanter, Pz. IV, T29, T28, T20, T-44, ISU-152, KV-4, IS-3, IS-8, Panther II, Jagdtiger, Jg.Pz. E100, E75, & E100

Working for IS-7, T62A, and a 60% WR

Happy Tanking!

Aventre3 #4 Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostJayHollyLion, on 02 January 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

I've got a Jackson and KV-1S as my biggest tanks. Is it okay to buy a T34, JT 8.8, Super Pershing, and IS-6?

Spoiler

But what is your highest tier tank on PC? You probably made it to Tier VIII already.

Besides this is general advice, there are always exceptions.

UnsaltedPiranha #5 Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8180 battles
Great guide! Should be pinned! Anyways, I assume you'll be adding tanks such as the T-127, LTP, T-15, etc?

Aventre3 #6 Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postfirestateam1, on 02 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Great guide! Should be pinned! Anyways, I assume you'll be adding tanks such as the T-127, LTP, T-15, etc?

Thanks! I wasn't going to add the T-127 as its a less common tank, and at Tier III an "out of place" tank is going to cause less pain. I wasn't going to do the LTP cause you can't buy it and I don't have any experience with the T-15. But if someone writes them up and I think they are accurate, I'll put it in.

_Rooster #7 Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4971 battles
Nice work! Needs a pin. +1

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire...

IX: E75, IS-8, ST-1  /  VIII: T32, T-44, Pershing / VII: T20, Comet, Panther, Type 5 Chi-Ri

PREM: T34, IS-6, KV-5, Type 59, Jagdtiger 8,8, Panther/M10, SU-100Y, PzIV Hydro, T14, Excelsior, Pz V/IV, SU-85i, AC1 Sentinel, Pz.B2, Pz.S35, BT-SV, M22 Locust, Pz.IIJ, Ke-Ni Otsu, T-127, T-15, LTP, T7, Tetrarch, '70 VW Westfalia Camper Bus (formerly 22friarfan19)

Unitater #8 Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
Amazing guide bro! A MUST SEE FOR ALL NEWBS

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

gffcom #9 Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37120 battles
  • [SRT-]
Good guide. As far as tanks that show up in the store from time to time, A-32 is missing (which seems to show up every time the Ram does), as well as PzB2, T-127. In game tanks T-15 and T-25 are missing as well. Pz IV H.... well, we might not see that one again, so...

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

thunderthies #10 Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles
Ok this is a baller guide. Very nicely done, dude. I'll see about getting this pinned.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

thunderthies #11 Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles

View PostJayHollyLion, on 02 January 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

Spoiler

Wait... do you have PC experience or something?

HBFT #12 Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 35 battles
Really clean and simple breakdown. :)  Pinned!

Please read the WoT: Blitz Forum rules

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

Aventre3 #13 Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postgffcom, on 02 January 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Good guide. As far as tanks that show up in the store from time to time, A-32 is missing (which seems to show up every time the Ram does), as well as PzB2, T-127. In game tanks T-15 and T-25 are missing as well. Pz IV H.... well, we might not see that one again, so...

Mi was primarily focused on the more common tanks. But help writing up brief blurbs would be helpfull

Aventre3 #14 Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostHBFT, on 02 January 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

Really clean and simple breakdown. :)  Pinned!

Awesome! Thanks

arandomguy_1 #15 Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7186 battles
Heh, I own almost every premium

Professional potato

proud owner of a garage, some carrots and a paper airplane 

Stats: potato tanks: don't want to count premiums: way too many to list

Playing since day one and still haven't broken overall potato 

Looney999 #16 Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6709 battles
  • [III-Z]
Can write up a short guide to the A32 tomorrow.

-Community Pledge Signer-

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

thunderthies #17 Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles

View PostLooney999, on 05 January 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Can write up a short guide to the A32 tomorrow.

Niiiice. Convince me to buy it. :0)

Edited by thunderthies, 05 January 2015 - 11:11 AM.

Looney999 #18 Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6709 battles
  • [III-Z]

A-32. Tier IV Soviet Medium.

One word - Mobility! 70km/h top speed (2nd only to T2 Light)...good power/wt...40 traverse and turret speeds. Had to use upgraded tracks due to catching so much air and wrecking my own tracks! Good armor for it's tier and angled all around, good HP pool as well but not quite as troll as the Valentine, keep moving! Tier III 76mm Soviet Derp gun, and all that that implies. Good for side/rear shots, frontal may be a problem on higher tier tanks/M3 Lees but it can fire HEAT. Plays like a T2 Light with decent armor and a decent gun. MM -2/+1.

Edited by Looney999, 05 January 2015 - 03:40 PM.

-Community Pledge Signer-

The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

Aventre3 #19 Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25551 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostLooney999, on 05 January 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

A-32. Tier IV Soviet Medium.

One word - Mobility! 70km/h top speed (2nd only to T2 Light)...good power/wt...40 traverse and turret speeds. Had to use upgraded tracks due to catching so much air and wrecking my own tracks! Good armor for it's tier and angled all around, good HP pool as well but not quite as troll as the Valentine, keep moving! Tier III 76mm Soviet Derp gun, and all that that implies. Good for side/rear shots, frontal may be a problem on higher tier tanks/M3 Lees but it can fire HEAT. Plays like a T2 Light with decent armor and a decent gun. MM -2/+1.

Thanks Looney! I'll add it up above and edit slightly if that is okay by you. Are you sure it isn't -1/+1 MM?

Sallysipad12 #20 Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32832 battles
  • [III-S]

A great write up on the pro's and con's...well researched and presented...

One premium tank I have and absolutely love is my SU-85i...

Bought it by accident, already had the SU-85 and tried to get my money back from WOT cause I didn't use it for a week.

Finally just gave in since the refund process would be through Apple they said...good luck there BTW...

Now, it really rocks.  Pros - Small and easy to hide, very fast and highly maneuverable, quickly re-loading, great gun which can do heavy damage for a tier 5, rarely need premium ammo (but I carry it anyway kind of like when I need a Swiss army knife).  Con's - Light armor and easy to penetrate...(Keep moving if you want to stay alive), fixed turret like any TD...

Oh yeh, and I sold the SU85 shortly there after...accidental purchase +1...

Also tagged with Premium Tank, Premium Tanks, Purchasing, Buying, Advice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users