rng

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #1 Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]
  • Every module and crew member has a 100% chance of taking damage when hit.
  • All modules and crew, excluding tracks, should receive significantly more HP.
  • Reduced functionality occurs at 15% HP or less.
  • Engine fires are set when the engine is at <15% HP or destroyed.
  • The module damage indicator at the bottom of the screen should receive small HP bars for damaged modules.

It doesn't happen often, but random module damage has the potential to completely change the outcome of a brawl or even the whole game. This past Twister Cup saw a Batchat get 1-shot ammoracked less than a minute into the match.

I've because someone damaged my ammo rack three shots in a row. I've won because I set multiple fires. Were either of those results the product of skill? No. Both aforesaid events have a <5% chance of occurring. That's like opening a crate hoping for a Skorpion. Events largely based on luck should not have such a profound impact on games.

Edited by _UrgleMcPurfle_, 06 June 2019 - 10:16 PM.

BorisBaddenov #2 Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26758 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 06 June 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

• The module damage indicator at the bottom of the screen should receive small HP bars for damaged modules.

It doesn't happen often, but random module damage has the potential to completely change the outcome of a brawl or even the whole game. This past Twister Cup saw a Batchat get 1-shot ammoracked less than a minute into the match.

I've because someone damaged my ammo rack three shots in a row. I've won because I set multiple fires. Were either of those results the product of skill? No. Both aforesaid events have a <5% chance of occurring. That's like opening a crate hoping for a Skorpion. Events largely based on luck should not have such a profound impact on games.

For me - the randomness you are suggesting get removed - is part of the rush / risk that makes the game fun.  Please don't flatten it out like this.

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #3 Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 June 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

For me - the randomness you are suggesting get removed - is part of the rush / risk that makes the game fun.  Please don't flatten it out like this.

Peace-

Boris

For those who like randomness it could remain in regular games. Non-rng modules could appear in "realistic games".

RoadKutter #4 Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

Polish Demolish

• Players
  • 41447 battles
  • [III-H]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 06 June 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

For those who like randomness it could remain in regular games. Non-rng modules could appear in "realistic games".

and by "realistic games" you mean et shot once and you are on your way back to the garage?

Ghosting reds since 2014

minitel_NA #5 Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 06 June 2019 - 10:14 PM, said:

I’m not sure your changes would adress your concerns.

right now you can hit the driver or the engine 5 times and cause nothing. 

In your description every time I hit it there will be damage. 

Im not sure if you know that, but I target the engine of the enemy pretty much every single time I can, probably half or 2/3rd of my shots.

i can tell u that would amount to big dmg. 

Secondly no penalty until the hp is 15%.

this is worst, because it means nobody would ever use a repair kit, 

cause people always wait until something is wrong before acting.

however at 15% suddenly next shot u dead (or seriously everything is red light)

That means nobody even has the time of using a repair kit.

finally I think WG really lacks communication upon tanks modules, and module hp etc...

so maybe showing a module Hp % might help. On the other hand it would be seriously more complex than it is, 

and a lot noobs are already puzzled at which way their tanks are pointing. 

I like rng.

You can shoot ten times into someone’s ammorack,

but you can’t make an amorack explode without luck.

I like that.

on other news, is it me or a few years back ammoracks were more often ?

i remember seeing so many IS7, and even some IS-3,  go pop on the first minute of the game.

152mm could expect the laughters. Now it doesn’t seem that even 183 budge them racks that often anymore. 

i suspect WG did something to prevent new players from walking away after a sudden blow up

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

GentleNova #6 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 29140 battles
  • [SRT_]
Didn’t they reduce the dispersion of penetration from +/-15% to +/-5% in Update 6.0? That should reduce the feeling of RNG with shots (which means less chance of a bad bounce but also less chance of a lucky pen). 

FussyRude #7 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:32 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5375 battles
  • [AZUR]
This is not War Thunder.
#LoveLuchs

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #8 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]

View PostRoadKutter, on 06 June 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

and by "realistic games" you mean et shot once and you are on your way back to the garage?

What makes you think everyone would get one-shot? I expressly excluded one-shot kills.

View Postminitel_NA, on 06 June 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

I’m not sure your changes would adress your concerns.

right now you can hit the driver or the engine 5 times and cause nothing. 

In your description every time I hit it there will be damage. (But not all module damage will do anything. Only when the HP is reduced past a certain point will things start to happen.)

Im not sure if you know that, but I target the engine of the enemy pretty much every single time I can, probably half or 2/3rd of my shots.

i can tell u that would amount to big dmg. 

That's exactly what I want. If you're good enough and put in the time to aim, you should be rewarded with extra and consistent damage. RNG narrows the gap between those who don't aim specifically and those who do.

Secondly no penalty until the hp is 15%.

this is worst, because it means nobody would ever use a repair kit, 

cause people always wait until something is wrong before acting.

however at 15% suddenly next shot u dead (or seriously everything is red light)

That means nobody even has the time of using a repair kit.

15% is probably a bad number. But the actual number can be whatever WG determines. The idea remains that functionality is only reduced past a certain point. Obviously a good number would be one that forces people to use repairs, but not at a ridiculous pace.

finally I think WG really lacks communication upon tanks modules, and module hp etc...

so maybe showing a module Hp % might help. On the other hand it would be seriously more complex than it is,

Not really. A simple bar above the each module indicator would do the job. Either that, or the module icons themselves could act as the bar. No numbers, no clutter.

and a lot noobs are already puzzled at which way their tanks are pointing. 

I like rng.

You can shoot ten times into someone’s ammorack,

but you can’t make an amorack explode without luck.

That's the whole point. Game-changing events, like ammoracks, should happen because of skill and not luck. (See Twister Cup)

I like that.

on other news, is it me or a few years back ammoracks were more often ?

i remember seeing so many IS7, and even some IS-3,  go pop on the first minute of the game.

152mm could expect the laughters. Now it doesn’t seem that even 183 budge them racks that often anymore. 

i suspect WG did something to prevent new players from walking away after a sudden blow up

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #9 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]

View PostFussyRude, on 06 June 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

This is not War Thunder.

Gee thanks for telling me, I didn't notice.

This doesn't even remotely come close to War Thunder. And what's wrong with taking a general idea from WT, if it's a good one, and applying it to fix what I see as a problem in Blitz? Is everything that comes from WT tainted or whatever?

From what I've seen luck can, very rarely, single-handedly win a game. While it's not a widespread problem that completely negates skill, it produces frustrating results for either me or my opponent from time to time. For a supposedly tournament-level game, skill needs to be the sole thing that determines the winner.

_UrgleMcPurfle_ #10 Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16503 battles
  • [HATED]

View PostGentleNova, on 06 June 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

Didn’t they reduce the dispersion of penetration from +/-15% to +/-5% in Update 6.0? That should reduce the feeling of RNG with shots (which means less chance of a bad bounce but also less chance of a lucky pen). 

I like that change. But what is more impactful—bouncing or penning one shot, or scoring a full-HP ammo rack?

TO_Dominator #11 Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:01 AM

Divine Punishment

• Players
  • 13460 battles
  • [YUKON]

There is good variety and then there's stupid variety. 

I consider things such as the aiming circle to be good variety. It adds chance to the game yet allows you a lot of freedom to determine that chance. 

Stupid variety is something such as bouncing off gray armor, or getting your modules constantly destroyed because WG chose to give your tank crap modules instead of working with the actual statistics of the tank (cough type 59).

I support making skill a more relevant factor in the game. Not a bad suggestion. 

"Blitz" can't exist within a world of TDs.

minitel_NA #12 Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post_UrgleMcPurfle_, on 07 June 2019 - 12:40 AM, said:

15% is probably a bad number. But the actual number can be whatever WG determines. The idea remains that functionality is only reduced past a certain point. Obviously a good number would be one that forces people to use repairs, but not at a ridiculous pace.

Its currently 50%. I think it’s an early warning that your module is about to get blown up. 

No rng and 15% would mean that you would most likely be blown up before even noticing, because most people would drive around with modules at 20%. And then boom.

so I think the current mechanics is better. 

One thing I didnt quote from you but I want to mention, is you say that module damage should be rewarding skills, and rng gives more chance to luck over skill. I disagree. Believe me I believe to be way too strong when meeting casual or new players, I track them, go around them, burn their engine and I’m gone. Being able to do that even more reliably won’t make the game more fun for me or them. There isn’t a whole lot of empty space inside tanks. We shouldn’t hit things every time.

The current combination of aiming, rng, gradual hitpoints, threshold for malfunction,  is quite good, and your proposal IMO wouldn’t make it better or more fun.

As I mentioned IMO the only thing u suggested that would help is the module HP indication. Some %bar, or maybe just more steps than 3. Cause currently people have no clue what is going on. 

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Also tagged with rng

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users