Realistic battles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

RibbleStripe #1 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:34 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 247 battles

Immerse yourself into the chaos of realistic battles. Forget the markers and the light bulb! To hell with armor highlighting! A true tanker will find the enemy on their own and guess the soft spot to deliver a shell. No excuses, no mercy. The time has come to prove you haven't joined our ranks for nothing. Prove yourselves to be the coolest fighters among the ranks!

Full news text

FussyRude #2 Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4778 battles
  • [AZUR]
Good mode, actually very good... Where is the trap?
#LoveLuchs

j0nn0 #3 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 18941 battles
  • [XREGS]

Mechanics I've noticed so far mostly apply towards spotting. The obvious ones and likely most appealing for more experienced players includes the lack of a hit-skin and reliable penetration/damage numbers independent of RNG factors but those were already stated in the news post(s). Moving on, these are my observations of spotting mechanics:

Spotting works by Line of Sight [LoS]. This means that you will be able to spot and be spotted by any unobstructed view linearly from the viewer. In terms of visuals, tanks will always be rendered if any of your allies or you have a LoS on a target. Upon visual rendering, a target will be present and appear in the following situations: (structured by condition and result)

A. LoS is established (personally or by proxy) but no individual has their cursor on them. Target is rendered (visually present) but not marked by any HUD indicators. The following requires testing, but visually rendered targets are indicated with the directional arrow in zoom mode if they are outside of the field of view. They otherwise remain unmarked until condition B is met (see next point).

B. LoS is established and target has at least one allied force's cursor on them. In addition to tank rendering, the target is marked by the standard red HUD indicators for tank model, HP, & username for the entire team. Greatly beneficial for focus fire, but invites tunnel vision. Be wary of your surroundings.

C. No LoS by allied forces. Targets are not rendered. Not visible on screen unless previously spotted and the camo reset time (10 seconds) have not yet elapsed.

Important things to note:

- If a tank is visibly rendered (spotted and/or not yet reset camo), they are subject to the lock-on bounding box. Abuse this by scanning the far field where targets may be until you lock onto one. Then aim directly at them to light them up as stated above in condition B. This is viable for both zoom mode and 3rd person view.

- Camo can be turned off rendering skins outside of the name changing camos moot. Go to your settings to do so.

- Grass can be turned off allowing for less obstructions (visually), allowing you to more easily see targets (if you know what to look for and where).

- (requires confirmation. Heard from a WoTb clan discord server) PC players have the advantage of being able to lock on to a spotted target and stay locked on despite camo resets, so long as they do not move their cursor off said target.

- The mini-map does not reveal enemy forces under any condition. It is vital that you always check your rear and flanks, especially if you suddenly come under unexpected fire. That often means that you have been flanked by a number of enemies and that it may already be too late to react.

- Any moving object you see on screen that is not lit in green is a target. Light them up ASAP and shoot them.

My experiences and feedback so far from several dozen games:

I first ran a handful in my T49 and as expected, did horribly. This is in part due to the lack of soft targets (mostly heavies or armored TDs) and lack of HUD markers (skins & indicators). From this I realize that I am extremely dependent upon the hit-skin to sink any critical HE shot and that the lack of situational awareness (no minimap or obvious markers) severely hampers my ability to track viable targets on the fly. It is exceedingly difficult to track targets if you aren't even aware of the full scope of them. Having my fill of credit loss, i decided to use my T54 ltwt next.

The T54 ltwt performed beautifully. With the trollish turret and near excessive mobility, I could relocate on the fly and hull down, baiting far more shots than I would normally be comfortable exposing myself to. Due to the spotting mechanics, one can easily flank and ambush if you know how to utilize cover and inattentiveness. The best game of the run let me farm a little over 4.2k dmg. 

The last main tank of the day is an autoloader, the T54E1. Similar to the ltwt above, I could be more opportunistic in baiting shots, having less worry of immediate retaliation due to being lit upon firing my first shell. Ambush tactics are a must with the 3 round clip and allow you to burn unwary targets in seconds. Being aware of ones surroundings are a must, however, as having hard cover between reloads and ready escape routes during firing runs are critical towards both damage dealing and survival.

My gripes with realistic mode so far:

- People are obtuse to the most severe degree. I've seen many an ally literally not see a tank 5 meters away from them. At the very least, a HUD marker denoting enemies within 25 meters (or some other reasonable distance) would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and don't even get me started on spawn campers thinking that they'll be able to take advantage of any of the exploits previously mentioned.

- The lock-on boxes are too easily abused from the on-set. Perhaps turning them off outside a certain range (300m) in 3rd person view would suffice. 

- Camo and cover settings should maybe be locked rather than be user selected in fairness of the mode's intent.

- Only supremacy in realistic mode. That gets annoying fast when nobody is willing to cap or pay attention to the cap points.

Other than that, the mode has been pretty good so far. I'll post more if something comes up. For now, i've spent entirely too much time and effort into this one post.

~ TTFN and happy tanking.

Edited by j0nn0, 11 June 2019 - 08:16 AM.

Words to live by

I try to play all my tanks to ruin somebody’s game.

Vantablack12 #4 Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

Ugliest Player NA

• Players
  • 11167 battles
  • [K9]

View Postj0nn0, on 11 June 2019 - 03:08 AM, said:

- People are obtuse to the most severe degree. I've seen many an ally literally not see a tank 5 meters away from them. At the very least, a HUD marker denoting enemies within 25 meters (or some other reasonable distance) would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and don't even get me started on spawn campers thinking that they'll be able to take advantage of any of the exploits previously mentioned.

I also noticed that. On occasion I will pass right by an enemy and then takes me about 3 sec. to register the tank as an enemy. Some people fail to notice completely.

I cant find anything to put here.

GentleNova #5 Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26409 battles
  • [SRT-A]

View Postj0nn0, on 11 June 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Spotting works by Line of Sight [LoS]. This means that you will be able to spot and be spotted by any unobstructed view linearly from the viewer. In terms of visuals, tanks will always be rendered if any of your allies or you have a LoS on a target. 

Yesterday I would have disagreed with this because I could have sworn I’ve been in situations where I’ve seen enemy tanks in positions with no line of sight (LOS) to them whatsoever (nor my team having LOS) but I just watched some replays and confirmed what you said above to be correct. What I realized happened is that at one specific moment in the replay, there was a extremely small LOS point probably from my top hatch through a narrow slit between two hard cover points which spots the enemy tanks in the distance, making them "pop" into existence as they are rendered.

In addition, during the battle one tank appears to pop out of existence, no longer being rendered, because neither I, nor a team mate near me, appear to have had another spot of it within a certain timeframe (I believe you mentioned in another thread something like 10 seconds).

So based upon what I’m seeing, I’d say Realistic Battles render enemy tanks exactly like Regular Battles, with the only difference being that the game interface overlay (that highlights that tank in red) isn’t rendered until either you or a team member target it with their gun.

PS. Note that you can target and highlight a previously spotted (and rendered) tank, even after it has moved back behind hard cover and is no longer in direct LOS. People are defining this as a "bug" but I would disagree. In an actual military engagement, a commander may see an enemy move behind a building, no longer seeing the tank directly, but he’s still able to "highlight" the tank by relaying it’s position to other tanks.

Edited by GentleNova, 11 June 2019 - 04:32 PM.

GentleNova #6 Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26409 battles
  • [SRT-A]

View PostVantablack12, on 11 June 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

I also noticed that. On occasion I will pass right by an enemy and then takes me about 3 sec. to register the tank as an enemy. Some people fail to notice completely.

Which is why I find the game interface overlay (that highlights the enemy in red) to be an actual distraction in this game mode. It’s like a big spotlight of distraction, that forces you to look at it over everything else, even though other enemy could be nearby and with potentially even lower health than the highlighted enemy. Thus the more you rely upon it for your effectiveness, the worse off and ”blind" you will be. 

I think the area and map that really accentuates this is the eastern town cap area on Desert Sands. When people push this cap area and push around the center building, engaging the enemy on the other side, it can become really chaotic. When you go around the building yourself, you effectively have to "diffuse" your vision from just looking at highlighted tanks and try to see both highlight tanks and unhighlighted tanks, as any tank that is moving but not highlighted is an enemy tank. Again trying to assess this all and grasp what you’re seeing in a second or two is really difficult to do but I think it’s an essential ability for this mode. I’m fully aware of it but haven’t mastered it myself yet.

Edited by GentleNova, 11 June 2019 - 04:09 PM.

FussyRude #7 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4778 battles
  • [AZUR]
This mode is great, I just run like hell and deal damage every enemy I can see, it's: run, shot, run, shot;  never brake, except for RAM.
#LoveLuchs

GentleNova #8 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26409 battles
  • [SRT-A]

View PostFussyRude, on 11 June 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

This mode is great, I just run like hell and deal damage every enemy I can see, it's: run, shot, run, shot;  never brake, except for RAM.

Exactly. The faster and more peripherally you engage the enemy, the more devastating you can be. It’s the only time I will target and highlight a tank for a consistent period of time, ensuring that the team sees the (often flanking) threat, so we can knock it out quickly collectively. 

AOT_Jaeger2 #9 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17215 battles
  • [ASLAN]
Very very good job, honestly loving this game mode! I don’t really have any complaints, poor players finally seem to get punished, gold spam is...well it’s gold spam, but you at least need to know somewhat where to aim, and those lower alpha guns are consistent. Big guns are great, but ya gotta miss those big 1k Damage rolls with HE.

Garage: T7 CC, R35, Light VIC, Tetrarch, M4A2E4, PzKpfw. IV Anko SP, KV-2, Strv. 74A2, LTTB, SU-122-44, IS-3, IS-5, KV-5, Lowe.

Was #24 VK 30.01 (P) Player in NA, #32 in Luchs

Stats:http://www.blitzstar...com/AOT_Jaeger2

Youtuber? I guess?

wrecker1968 #10 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 41855 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Good game mode. CR AP containers Like usual.

Chariot_Solace #11 Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:24 AM

Stug Life

• Players
  • 40582 battles
  • [_STR8]
Both the game mode itself and the camo reward for playing are great. I hope the mode is brought back permanently and you make a lot more similar camos - It’s the best one you’ve done yet.

Tier Xs; E100, Maus, VK 72.01(K), E50M, JgPzE100, Grille, IS-7, IS-4, T-62A, AMX 50B, WZ-113, STB-1 Lines I'm Grinding: WZ-121(IX), FV215B(IX), FV4202(VII), FV4005(VII), IS-4(IX), Obj. 268(IX), M48 Patton(VII), T110E3(VIII) Favorite Tank: E75. Top 100 Tanks: AMX M4 45, ARL 44, IS-2Sh, Chi-To, Chi-Nu, M41 90mm, Sturer Emil, Pz Sfl IV C, Type 58, Panzer IV Anko, Nashorn, BT-SV, Panzerjager I, IS-2, WZ-110, Type T-34, T-34-1, BDR G1B, Sherman V, Chieftain/T95, Pz IV Hydrostat, STRV 74A2, 112 Glacial, IS-2 Berlin, Kuro Mori Mine, M6A2E1, Panzer IV S, T-44-100, Black Prince, AC IV Sentinel, SU85i, T-34-2, Firefly, VK 100.01(P), Jagdtiger 10.5cm, Dicker Max, VK 45.03, T34 Indy, T-150, Type 64, AMX M4 49, Skorpion G, WZ-111 1-4, Ram II, Jackson, Super Pershing, T-44, T-43, Mäuschen, AMX 30 Proto, Lorraine 40t, WZ-113, WZ-135G FT Blaze, ISU-152, ISU-122S, T28

Mathias_Al_Tabai #12 Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Private

• Players
  • 10517 battles
  • [FPOW]
I would love for WG to make this mode a permanent addition to Blitz. I had such a blast playing it. I loved the spotting mechanics especially.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users