Any tips on maintaining high average damage?

damage help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Si1verBlood #1 Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 14693 battles
  • [SR-71]

Topic^

(not camping)

Something that you can apply to different type tanks...

I am mainly asking because I often find myself, mainly in heavies and meds, in a position were I am holding a choke point and it results in a stand off since if they peek they get punished and if I peek I get punished....but the choke point needs to be held otherwise the team gets buttrekt...the only way I see around this is playing outside my tank's role (flanking, baiting etc.)

And Super Unicorns seem to be able to shoot almost constantly maintaining a really high average dmg on any tank...

I am in top 2 dmg most of the time but often either the dmg gets distributed between tm8s(which is commendable), or I get low dmg with varying assisted dmg(tm dependent)

j0nn0 #2 Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19046 battles
  • [XREGS]

First off, get rid of the notion of roles. Sure, some tanks work better in certain situations and others are outright impossible, but dont pigeonhole yourself into a preset form. You do what you can, where you can, when you can. 

The key to consistent dmg is your setup. Get to an advantageous position such as hulldown with hard cover and have an escape route handy. There's no shame in having to bail and relocate. 

Another thing that people fail to do is staying aware of the full map. Just because youre in a crossfire zone doesnt mean that you dont have shots across the map on occasion. Keep in mind all movements and take more opportunistic shots if you see a chance to. 

I'd write more but im on my phone and losing track of my points. Might be back later to add to this. 

Words to live by

I try to play all my tanks to ruin somebody’s game.

Dark_Magician_Girl #3 Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 35569 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostSi1verBlood, on 23 June 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Topic^

(not camping)

Something that you can apply to different type tanks...

I am mainly asking because I often find myself, mainly in heavies and meds, in a position were I am holding a choke point and it results in a stand off since if they peek they get punished and if I peek I get punished....but the choke point needs to be held otherwise the team gets buttrekt...the only way I see around this is playing outside my tank's role (flanking, baiting etc.)

And Super Unicorns seem to be able to shoot almost constantly maintaining a really high average dmg on any tank...

I am in top 2 dmg most of the time but often either the dmg gets distributed between tm8s(which is commendable), or I get low dmg with varying assisted dmg(tm dependent)

You've answered your own question.  

I am now the #1 ranked E75 on the NA server!

RonaldusMaximus_ #4 Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6259 battles
  • [KALKI]
Use Calibrated Shells instead of Rammer... Pen is the key.. Make sure every shot you make will pen, don't take risky shots. 

_Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1:  Don't open your mouth in an alley.

Si1verBlood #5 Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

• Players
  • 14693 battles
  • [SR-71]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 23 June 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

Use Calibrated Shells instead of Rammer... Pen is the key.. Make sure every shot you make will pen, don't take risky shots. 

If you can aim...cs dont matter

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 23 June 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

You've answered your own question.  

I was asking for something appart of those ways

Posit1ve_ #6 Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 52217 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostSi1verBlood, on 23 June 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

I was asking for something appart of those ways

Play everything as a flanker or a push tank. If you have armor, push straight fights by taking good positions. If you don't have armor, you have to do some slightly more convoluted flanks. Unless the enemy is feeding you free damage by taking bad fights against your good defensive position, the onus is always on you to make a play if you want that good consistent damage per battle. 

If you ever find yourself in a scenario where you can't peek the enemy without taking a bad trade, you're not in a good position. Relocate somewhere, or push something.

Holding is usually a fool's errand; even though teammates are usually bad, teammates usually are at least good enough to shoot tanks that peek in front of them. Let them do the holding. Unless you can find an amazing hold position, you should pretty much always be aggressively looking for an easy fight somewhere that you know you can win, either because the enemy isn't looking at you, is in the open, can't 1v1 your tank easily, etc... 

Edited by Posit1ve_, 23 June 2019 - 06:50 PM.

311 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

Si1verBlood #7 Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

• Players
  • 14693 battles
  • [SR-71]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 23 June 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Play everything as a flanker or a push tank. If you have armor, push straight fights by taking good positions. If you don't have armor, you have to do some slightly more convoluted flanks. Unless the enemy is feeding you free damage by taking bad fights against your good defensive position, the onus is always on you to make a play if you want that good consistent damage per battle. 

If you ever find yourself in a scenario where you can't peek the enemy without taking a bad trade, you're not in a good position. Relocate somewhere, or push something.

Holding is usually a fool's errand; even though teammates are usually bad, teammates usually are at least good enough to shoot tanks that peek in front of them. Let them do the holding. Unless you can find an amazing hold position, you should pretty much always be aggressively looking for an easy fight somewhere that you know you can win, either because the enemy isn't looking at you, is in the open, can't 1v1 your tank easily, etc... 

Thank you

So basically looking for weak links and strays

Defaultz #8 Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

Yolos get you Kolos

• Players
  • 29446 battles
  • [_V_]

Pay attention to patterns. As nuanced as the mechanics are, blitz games all tend to follow a specific routine on each map.

Take Vineyards for example:

-drive up to the ridge near cap B. You tend to be able to shoot heavies or tds driving up to one of the two caps that arent B. 

-Loiter around there until the enemies cap a base. Expect someone to poke out from a cap after this to try and get a shot at you. Pre-aim that angle for a while, many times you'll guess right and get the shot off. 

-From here, its up to your judgement. Pay attention to what ally vehicles are near you, and whether or not the red team is finding you to be a nuisance or not (you can tell this if two or more of them consistently stare you down). If it starts to feel dangerous, run away, either  down into the stream or toward the nearest ally tank. 

Expect about 1/3 of your damage to come from close up fighting and shot exchanges. Its ok to trade shots if you know the win is basically secured and you're still low on your damage quota.

In conclusion, try and memorize how games tend to begin and unfold on either side of all maps. Once you get your game sense optimized, you'll be a damage farm beast. 

Doomking11 #9 Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 65928 battles
  • [GRIM]
Go to garage and do not press the battle button....that fixes most of the current game problems. 

I_Maverick_I #10 Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 23585 battles

View PostDefaultz, on 23 June 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Pay attention to patterns. As nuanced as the mechanics are, blitz games all tend to follow a specific routine on each map.

Take Vineyards for example:

-drive up to the ridge near cap B. You tend to be able to shoot heavies or tds driving up to one of the two caps that arent B. 

-Loiter around there until the enemies cap a base. Expect someone to poke out from a cap after this to try and get a shot at you. Pre-aim that angle for a while, many times you'll guess right and get the shot off. 

-From here, its up to your judgement. Pay attention to what ally vehicles are near you, and whether or not the red team is finding you to be a nuisance or not (you can tell this if two or more of them consistently stare you down). If it starts to feel dangerous, run away, either  down into the stream or toward the nearest ally tank. 

Expect about 1/3 of your damage to come from close up fighting and shot exchanges. Its ok to trade shots if you know the win is basically secured and you're still low on your damage quota.

In conclusion, try and memorize how games tend to begin and unfold on either side of all maps. Once you get your game sense optimized, you'll be a damage farm beast. 

this is very good

Find me on the official Blitz discord server or send me a PM on the forums if you want to contact me. I quit playing. Yeah.

Also tagged with damage, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users