Advice on Platooning

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

BorisBaddenov #1 Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:05 AM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24556 battles
  • [NOGUD]

I don't platoon often.  When I do it is usually with the same player, who in my opinion is not a lot better or worse of a player than I am.  Our career stats are very similar.  We both have over 16k battles and have a win rate right around 53-54%.   Thing is, when we platoon we seem to lose way more often than if we do when we play solo.  Just last weekend we played two sessions; one gave us a 31% win rate, and the other session was 44%.   

There must be something wrong with my  game play when I'm in a platoon for such a difference in my platooned win rate vs solo.   OR ... or.. or .... 

The idea of platooning to improve WR is a fallacy. I expect the former to be the correct answer.   

So - when in a platoon - what advice can you give me  that will help us improve my performance when platooned?

OH - we always are on Discord.

Peace-

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

boris55555 #2 Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:24 AM

Honary Doctor of Meh

• Players
  • 24535 battles
  • [MINC]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 24 June 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

I don't platoon often.  When I do it is usually with the same player, who in my opinion is not a lot better or worse of a player than I am.  Our career stats are very similar.  We both have over 16k battles and have a win rate right around 53-54%.   Thing is, when we platoon we seem to lose way more often than if we do when we play solo.  Just last weekend we played two sessions; one gave us a 31% win rate, and the other session was 44%.   

There must be something wrong with my  game play when I'm in a platoon for such a difference in my platooned win rate vs solo.   OR ... or.. or .... 

The idea of platooning to improve WR is a fallacy. I expect the former to be the correct answer.   

So - when in a platoon - what advice can you give me  that will help us improve my performance when platooned?

Peace-

Boris

I also platoon w same guy mainly. Lots of tier 7...so intermediateishness. We do not discord. If only. This is an amateur answer: we typically play our own battle but we are in the same battle. Sometimes coming back together and certainly paying attention for the help call. 

i find I’m much worse if I try to play his game. Also, complimentary tanks may help. He’s often in a t34-1 spotting and I run the emil. 

Positive Vibes: The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!  To a New Yorker like (me), a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

jahawa #3 Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17407 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Following. 

RonaldusMaximus_ #4 Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8002 battles
  • [HAHA]

I have to agree with you Borisbaddenov... I have taken to platooning with a 59%er regularly and when we toon we lose alot.. We finally after much experimentation found a winning combo of tanks that we play well together in, we discord, but if you look at my blitzstars stats you can see the real hits I've taken recently.

I completely agree that tooning is not the formula for increasing WR that people claim. 

_Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1:  Don't open your mouth in an alley.

RonaldusMaximus_ #5 Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:02 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8002 battles
  • [HAHA]
Oh that combo is the tier 6 jgpanzer and the SU 100Y. 

_Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1:  Don't open your mouth in an alley.

TO_Dominator #6 Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:14 AM

Divine Punishment

• Players
  • 10255 battles
  • [SASK2]
Tooning will really only be helpful if you and your platoon mate work together effectively. 

"Blitz" can't exist within a world of TDs.

9_V0LT #7 Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:09 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

Use Discord voice chat. 

Never underestimate the power of comms 

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

Morphman11 #8 Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:52 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
  • [2WEAK]

View Post9_V0LT, on 25 June 2019 - 03:09 AM, said

Use Discord voice chat. 

Never underestimate the power of comms 

Comms are useless compared to the power of silence and map awareness. Its simple to win at least 70% not trying in a platoon. At least one must play a well armored vehicle and completely yolo. Best strategy in game for 4 years. I recommend the Maus or my personal favorite the Jag 8,8.

9_V0LT #9 Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostMorphman11, on 25 June 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

Comms are useless compared to the power of silence and map awareness. Its simple to win at least 70% not trying in a platoon. At least one must play a well armored vehicle and completely yolo. Best strategy in game for 4 years. I recommend the Maus or my personal favorite the Jag 8,8.

Well, some people might want to play above tier three :child:

Morphman11 #10 Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
  • [2WEAK]

View Post9_V0LT, on 25 June 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

Well, some people might want to play above tier three :child:

If you understood how to read then you would realize the recommended vehicles weren't below tier 8.

rosgrim #11 Posted 25 June 2019 - 05:08 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 74653 battles
  • [COD]

I can tell you that in my clan when we go for a platoon round (we take it easy, no plan no discord etc) we got  very high WR% in tier 7-8, I would say embarrassing high WR in tier 5-6 . Tier 9-10 honestly I don't do it  often so....

Saying that, sometimes is simply not the right moment and you will know it.....it means "time to stop!" 

I don't toon a lot but when I do I find it is very effective.

Now I don't think I have the truth in my pocket but my opinion is:

1. Your mate should be someone with the same or better skills and more that all someone able to play in real coordination with you. This is something that has nothing to do with the WR, or at the least not only the WR. For me map and situation awareness are even more important platooning. 

"we typically play our own battle but we are in the same battle. Sometimes coming back together and certainly paying attention for the help call."

this is exactly what you don't want. When I'm in platoon I never have to call help (my mate already knows) and we play together. If this don't happen then you have something (skills, play style) that doesn't work. Better don't platoon.

2. Chosing the same category tanks (for example 2 meds, 2 heavy etc) or complementary tanks will help (assault td+heavy, heavium+meds, light+meds) so you can accomplish task togheter. 

The effect of platooning should be to carry the team with the help of a mate and not alone.

Edited by rosgrim, 25 June 2019 - 05:16 AM.

Subtlepro #12 Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 45111 battles
  • [GRMPS]

I find RNG does not help me in platoons.

And I tend to lose more in higher tiers....unless I get to play with a great player. Which is rare.

Informal platoons like when a good player is on my team.   I will usually spot in a medium.

Or just watch there six.   There usually good enough shots. (Pramo) that just keep them from being harrased they 

Will win the game 

But two kvis in tier 6 with good drivers is a potent force.

Two t34s in tier 5 is pretty tuff also.

wwing #13 Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

Either We Win Or They Do

• Players
  • 39478 battles

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 25 June 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

Peace-

Boris

There is a logical explanation  for this.  But I would defer it until u could do this test:

Ask a better player than u to platoon with and see what would be the result?

CA_vampire #14 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26497 battles
  • [MOMB]
With some people, platooning works and it's fun. With other people it doesn't. 

__V_O_P__ #15 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32695 battles
  • [CURSD]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 25 June 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

Peace-

Boris

Tooning well is more effort than playing alone in some ways because you have to work at working together. Two players in close coordination burning down enemy tanks is what you want, not the “just one less potato” on your team model. It’s one reason why I don’t toon all the time because I have to think about playing rather than doing my own thing. 

Choose complimentary vehicles - I’d suggest mediums or heavies (with the charioteer an exception, I’d avoid TD toons). Other pairs work for me but are more hit and miss. 

Always focus fire - and as others pointed out, you shouldn’t really need to call for help because your toon mate should be a wingman - right there all the time. Splitting up is necessary but should be the exception not the rule.  

And you're on discord, but what are you talking about? The enemy toon or the college sports results? The majority of VC should be about calling directions and shots. (Boring I know)

And one last point - work on survival. Seems like you die a lot at T8+. Aim for at least 40%. 

Edited by __V_O_P__, 25 June 2019 - 09:11 AM.

9_V0LT #16 Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 9074 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostMorphman11, on 25 June 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

If you understood how to read then you would realize the recommended vehicles weren't below tier 8.

My apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic in your post, so I responded in kind. I didn’t realize you were just stupid. 

Ronin_23 #17 Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15696 battles
  • [_V2_]

Well there's the possibility that you're tooning at a time where you're frequently getting matched up against platoons that are significantly better than you (like uni/superuni toons). They often run 70-80% in platoon which can make it tough for anyone on red.

I also second that you have to either play different tanks that are complementary and can fulfill different roles OR play two similarish or same tanks that you then run together and focus fire. The iconic example is an Obj. 140 toon. Two guys who know what they're doing running around with well over 3k DPM can put down reds in seconds.

I'll add that my favorite platooning tank at tier 7 is the Tiger P, even though I don't really enjoy heavies that much. Two Tiger Ps can absolutely carry a team with no problem, even in tier 8 games. Maybe give that a shot.

SuperMax812 #18 Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17207 battles
  • [_V2_]
What's the purpose of fail-platooning? I mean, why is it even allowed for you being able to platoon with a tier 7 at a tier 8? Is there something behind this that I never heard? Does Fail-Platooning give you more xp, credits, etc. if you're matched with tanks 2 tiers higher?

Edited by SuperMax812, 25 June 2019 - 11:17 AM.

World of Tanks Blitz is A Fair & Balanced Game...
Like Really it is...
Don't Lie, it really is...
trust me :v
https://www.youtube....h?v=GRxofEmo3HA

originalmadkilla #19 Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16030 battles
  • [OMK]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 24 June 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Peace-

Boris

Find a new player to toon with maybe. I don't care if it's your best friend that you are currently tooning with. Dump 'em to the curve.:izmena:

If it aint working out, then it aint working out.:playing:

Maybe that would be better for the both of you, since it seems that you are dragging each other down. Perhaps whatever weaknesses or bad traits you have as players are similar and when you toon that only serves to amplify those weaknesses.

Being on discord doesn't mean anything unless you are saying the right things to each other. Two dogs on discord making barking sounds to each other wouldn't be that helpful and neither would two players who are not making the right moves or making the right decisions or saying what needs to be said when it needs to be said. Or maybe you're chatting too much, I don't know what you do. Chatting wont kill enemy tanks, virtual bullets and shells will and being in the right spots at the right time.

As you have not posted any video of your platoon playing, it's hard to be specific of course. Perhaps you are making fundamental errors within the first few seconds of the match, which helps to seal your fate for the remainder of the match.:justwait:

Edited by originalmadkilla, 25 June 2019 - 11:48 AM.

__V_O_P__ #20 Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32695 battles
  • [CURSD]

View Post9_V0LT, on 25 June 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

My apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic in your post, so I responded in kind. I didn’t realize you were just stupid. 

Okay. A misunderstanding. Leave it at that. Smh. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users