Jump to content


Low-Key XVM?

Avatars

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

_ImUrHuckleberry #1 Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:38 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14606 battles
  • 917
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

So i aced the Chariot again (i guess it needs a small nerf, but don't neuter it either), and i get a pop-up saying i unlocked a new avatar. Looked kinda cool, so i figured i'd at least look at it in detail. And it's an avatar for getting a mastery. That's a cool angle because that's something that can be useful pre-battle against reds. I personally wouldn't advertise myself like a peacock itching to catch a case of lead-poisoning, but i can see a niche for it. And this is coming from a curmudgeon that loathes the fantasy tanks, and the avatars in general (except for the 4th, which is a nice touch by WG). Has this been around for a while? Any of you use it? Your thoughts on it?

 

eu2fti.jpg

 


Edited by _ImUrHuckleberry, 06 July 2019 - 05:42 AM.


Player_5773117413 #2 Posted 06 July 2019 - 05:57 AM

    Professional Tinfoil Hatter

  • Players
  • 30036 battles
  • 8,996
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2014
Kinda neat. Too bad they didn't just make it accumulative. A fancier Master Badge Avatar the more you get. Crusader_6 would probably have a shiny, golden, double St Louis arch looking like the McDonald's logo

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch


_ImUrHuckleberry #3 Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14606 battles
  • 917
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 05 July 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

Kinda neat. Too bad they didn't just make it accumulative. A fancier Master Badge Avatar the more you get. Crusader_6 would probably have a shiny, golden, double St Louis arch looking like the McDonald's logo

 

Off the top of your head, and already blowing the WG dev dept. out of the water. :great:



BorisBaddenov #4 Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

    3.8 Made me quit

  • Players
  • 24747 battles
  • 8,565
  • [NOGUD]
  • Member since:
    12-11-2015

View Post_ImUrHuckleberry, on 05 July 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

 

Off the top of your head, and already blowing the WG dev dept. out of the water. :great:


Maybe I’m in the minority, but I neither use nor pay attention to avatars.  In fact, I consider them a waste of development resources.   I would have rather seen WG put that effort into something actually useful.


I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.


_ImUrHuckleberry #5 Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:31 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14606 battles
  • 917
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 05 July 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:


Maybe I’m in the minority, but I neither use nor pay attention to avatars.  In fact, I consider them a waste of development resources.   I would have rather seen WG put that effort into something actually useful.

 

I'm usually with you on these topics but given how it's already here, why not get something useful out of it? I'd much rather have greens with Mastery, WR, and Kolo avatars on then all the "participation trophy" avatars that i see around. In fact, i literally have a "Season participant" avatar that can be seen on my screenshot below.

 

rj1jiv.jpg



Player_5773117413 #6 Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

    Professional Tinfoil Hatter

  • Players
  • 30036 battles
  • 8,996
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2014

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 July 2019 - 12:24 AM, said:


Maybe I’m in the minority, but I neither use nor pay attention to avatars.  In fact, I consider them a waste of development resources.   I would have rather seen WG put that effort into something actually useful.


I don't care much for them either but since they are already here, they could be turned into something helpful. A guiding beacon, designating which teammate to follow for better odds of success


"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch


cjcourtney1 #7 Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:15 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 28583 battles
  • 823
  • [S3MC]
  • Member since:
    02-23-2015

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 06 July 2019 - 02:14 AM, said:


I don't care much for them either but since they are already here, they could be turned into something helpful. A guiding beacon, designating which teammate to follow for better odds of success

I've seen some below avg.players that got lucky and Aced a tank to get the Monster Mastery.Not a guiding beacon that I want to follow around the battle.Also seeing a lot of veteran avatars with below avg.players.Seems a little broken like the up votes and downvotes.



_ImUrHuckleberry #8 Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14606 battles
  • 917
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

View Postcjcourtney1, on 06 July 2019 - 03:15 AM, said:

I've seen some below avg.players that got lucky and Aced a tank to get the Monster Mastery.Not a guiding beacon that I want to follow around the battle.Also seeing a lot of veteran avatars with below avg.players.Seems a little broken like the up votes and downvotes.

 

Oh, it's for just any mastery? I really thought it was for some record threshold reached. Like 100+ Ms, or 20 Ms in one particular vehicle, etc. I've aced quite a few tanks so far this year and lately accumulated 30+ Chariot and Conway masteries. That being said, i've never got a single pop-up window stating how i've received a special M avatar up until this event. I'm a little miffed, can anyone disabuse me of my ignorance here?



cjcourtney1 #9 Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 28583 battles
  • 823
  • [S3MC]
  • Member since:
    02-23-2015
Posted here then went in-game and 1st battle Aced Tiger (P)  3,719 Damage 4 kills and got the badge.Talk about luck. Goes away in 14 days.Would be nice if they were permanent and had the number of tanks aced on it.

boris55555 #10 Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:44 AM

    Honary Doctor of Meh

  • Players
  • 26620 battles
  • 3,157
  • [MINC]
  • Member since:
    11-30-2016

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 July 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:


Maybe I’m in the minority, but I neither use nor pay attention to avatars.  In fact, I consider them a waste of development resources.   I would have rather seen WG put that effort into something actually useful.


yep, I sound  just like you. I want an avatar celebrating my hero worship of Boris Prime...I would never equip it and I would come on here to complain about why some dev is wasting time on it when we still experience such failures at updates. Marshall your resources wg


***6.7 HAS OFFICIALLY RUINED THE GAME. TIER 8 PREMIUMS ARE NOW OBSOLETE. ***
**ARE THERE ANY TIERS LEFT? 1-5 ripped apart, 6/7 fantasy disaster, 8-10 broken by poor implementation and NO fix. **

*****“Ok”; I’m on hiatus *****:facepalm:

 


BorisBaddenov #11 Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

    3.8 Made me quit

  • Players
  • 24747 battles
  • 8,565
  • [NOGUD]
  • Member since:
    12-11-2015

View Post_ImUrHuckleberry, on 05 July 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

 

I'm usually with you on these topics but given how it's already here, why not get something useful out of it? I'd much rather have greens with Mastery, WR, and Kolo avatars on then all the "participation trophy" avatars that i see around. In fact, i literally have a "Season participant" avatar that can be seen on my screenshot below.

 

rj1jiv.jpg

 

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 05 July 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:


I don't care much for them either but since they are already here, they could be turned into something helpful. A guiding beacon, designating which teammate to follow for better odds of success

 

View Postboris55555, on 06 July 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:


yep, I sound  just like you. I want an avatar celebrating my hero worship of Boris Prime...I would never equip it and I would come on here to complain about why some dev is wasting time on it when we still experience such failures at updates. Marshall your resources wg


I hear what you guys are saying about avatars being available so why not use them.

 

When and for how long do we see avatars?   How well can they even be seen if one is playing on a phone vs. tablet or pc?

 

My opinion is that there is a very limited time when avatars are visible, and unless you play with the team lists expanded, the only time they can be seen is the very short load in time.   I also don’t think they really carry any meaning.  As someone said above (cj?) any player can get lucky and ace a win tank for the avatar Huck brought up, so that particular avatar cannot be relied upon as a measure of a players skill.  I think the veteran avatars is the same.  Those were awarded based on when an account was created they do not indicate number of games played or won nor the players skill.   Even the avatar one gets for killing all 7 tanks is misslesding.  I got three  Raisini when my win rate was well below 50.   There is one that is based on games won, but that one does not tank into consideration the number of times that player has pressed Battle.

 

Avatars are not easy to see, are only visible for a brief time, and don’t seem to provide any insight as to the players skill, somIndont see any value to them.

 

Like B5 said, I’d rather WG use their development resources on things that actually improve game play and not just provide fluff.   Lipstick on a pig comes to mind. 

 

 

Peace-

Boris 

 


I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.


Player_5773117413 #12 Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

    Professional Tinfoil Hatter

  • Players
  • 30036 battles
  • 8,996
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2014

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 July 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

 

 


I hear what you guys are saying about avatars being available so why not use them.

 

When and for how long do we see avatars?   How well can they even be seen if one is playing on a phone vs. tablet or pc?

 

My opinion is that there is a very limited time when avatars are visible, and unless you play with the team lists expanded, the only time they can be seen is the very short load in time.   I also don’t think they really carry any meaning.  As someone said above (cj?) any player can get lucky and ace a win tank for the avatar Huck brought up, so that particular avatar cannot be relied upon as a measure of a players skill.  I think the veteran avatars is the same.  Those were awarded based on when an account was created they do not indicate number of games played or won nor the players skill.   Even the avatar one gets for killing all 7 tanks is misslesding.  I got three  Raisini when my win rate was well below 50.   There is one that is based on games won, but that one does not tank into consideration the number of times that player has pressed Battle.

 

Avatars are not easy to see, are only visible for a brief time, and don’t seem to provide any insight as to the players skill, somIndont see any value to them.

 

Like B5 said, I’d rather WG use their development resources on things that actually improve game play and not just provide fluff.   Lipstick on a pig comes to mind. 

 

 

Peace-

Boris 

 


In an ideal world, an accumulative mastery avatar variant of the one above would be a more indicative step. You are correct, Raisins are often times a result of luck and timing rather than skill, and someone could get the high victory avatar through attrition and lots of battles.

 

However, a threshold of 10, 50, 100, 200, etc. mastery badges looks a bit harder to achieve through either luck or attrition. Someone may get a few through either, but being consistent across a large number of tanks is somewhat indicative of player skill.

 

Would y'all not agree?


"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch


BorisBaddenov #13 Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

    3.8 Made me quit

  • Players
  • 24747 battles
  • 8,565
  • [NOGUD]
  • Member since:
    12-11-2015

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 06 July 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:


In an ideal world, an accumulative mastery avatar variant of the one above would be a more indicative step. You are correct, Raisins are often times a result of luck and timing rather than skill, and someone could get the high victory avatar through attrition and lots of battles.

 

However, a threshold of 10, 50, 100, 200, etc. mastery badges looks a bit harder to achieve through either luck or attrition. Someone may get a few through either, but being consistent across a large number of tanks is somewhat indicative of player skill.

 

Would y'all not agree?


I will agree that an accumulative mastery avatar is better than a single mastery avatar.   But I will still contend that the avatars are not really easy to see or notice, and honestly they serve no purpose.   But people use them and that sends a message to Wargaming that avatars are a good idea.  Nobody will be able to convince me that they are a good idea.   I consider them a total waste of development resources and tells me that WG is even more out of touch with the player base than I thought. 

 

 

Peace-

Boris 


I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.


minitel_NA #14 Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 454 battles
  • 5,550
  • [EUREF]
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostPlayer_5773117413, on 06 July 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

Kinda neat. Too bad they didn't just make it accumulative. A fancier Master Badge Avatar the more you get. Crusader_6 would probably have a shiny, golden, double St Louis arch looking like the McDonald's logo


I concur.

 

being able to drive my AMX-13-57 displaying all its 59 masteries would be fun indeed. 

Now. that could also get me focused

 

 

in any case I like my 5 year veteran badge. This is my avatar for the foreseeable future. 


Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

 


Player_5773117413 #15 Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

    Professional Tinfoil Hatter

  • Players
  • 30036 battles
  • 8,996
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    07-16-2014

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 July 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:


I will agree that an accumulative mastery avatar is better than a single mastery avatar.   But I will still contend that the avatars are not really easy to see or notice, and honestly they serve no purpose.   But people use them and that sends a message to Wargaming that avatars are a good idea.  Nobody will be able to convince me that they are a good idea.   I consider them a total waste of development resources and tells me that WG is even more out of touch with the player base than I thought. 

 

 

Peace-

Boris 


I guess. It's the same "marketing research" that ensures the continued existence of loot boxes.


"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch






Also tagged with Avatars

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users