strange differences when playing on a different computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Vigor555 #1 Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9864 battles
  • [SLC_7]
Right now I am visiting my mother and playing on her computer.    The game is very different.     On the plus side, i think her graphics card must be better at keeping up with the game because the targeting reticle is much more responsive.  This is making skirmishing easier.  On my own computer, the reticle lags behind wherever the turret is and bounces around.    On the negative side, my tanks all feel so slow.    It is like the game is in slow motion.   My tanks feel like they are moving through molasses.    I can't outmaneuver anyone when I normally outmaneuver everyone.  I normally play very aggressively and maneuver a lot to compensate for my difficulty skirmishing. 

My first thought, when playing tiger was that maybe tiger just got a nerf.    Then I had the same problem with jpanth.   The tanks feel unusually slow and i don't keep up with other tanks as I normally do.   I think they actually are moving slower.    Sometimes, the tank stops completely when I haven't removed my finger from the key.   Then it is slower because it needs to get going again.   I thought, maybe it is the keyboard.   Maybe the keys aren't responding to being pressed as they should.   I found a "fix" of enabling sticky keys that didn't seem to have any effect.    I tested the "w" key also, in a text window to see if it would miss any keystrokes when held down but it didn't.   It only seems to do this during the game.   (side note:  This computer has hardly ever been used.   My mom doesn't actually use it.    It is clean.  Nothing is under the key or anything.)

What could be the problem here?    I am pretty sure it is not my imagination.   I feel like I have to play stationary where I normally roam all over the battlefield.  Normally I am almost in constant movement.  I love to flank/strafe/circle enemies.    I am pretty darn sure the slowed/bouncing targeting reticle on my own computer is just because my graphics card struggles to keep up.   I have no idea what the slow-tank problem is on my mom's computer.

Any theories?

The best theory i can come up with is that my mother's isp (DSL) has more ping spikes and longer ping spikes 300-900 than my isp (also DSL).   For that to be it, i would think it would have to mean that our controls are rendered on the server end rather than the client end.   In other words, when the server gets a lapse in instructions it assumes there were no instructions.   Then the client behaves as though I had taken my finger off the key for those 300-900ms.

Vigor555 #2 Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9864 battles
  • [SLC_7]
It also seems that my turrets move slower.

Absolute_Sniper #3 Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35552 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Check your graphics settings. I’m not on pc but what you’re describing sounds like a lower FPS issue.

shyw #4 Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 48155 battles
  • [DOGZ]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 20 July 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

Check your graphics settings. I’m not on pc but what you’re describing sounds like a lower FPS issue.

^^^^^ yes ^^^^^

9_V0LT #5 Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 8398 battles
  • [OGRE]

It’s subjective. 

Whenever I play on my phone for awhile and then go back to my tablet, it seems like my tanks are moving at half speed. 

I think its it’s just a screen size thing. 

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

_Cletus #6 Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 23453 battles
  • [HAHA]

I say turn off the computer and spend some quality time with your mother.  Take her out for all you can eat shrimp.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar by crpl_hicks

Conan, what is best in lifeTo crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Si1verBlood #7 Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 14710 battles
  • [SR-71]

As a general advice for when you switch between electronic devices(pc,phone, tablet etc.) give yourself 3 hours of use at least to get used to the new device...and dont expect it to be the same as your previous device...

your settings, setup and the difference between components will all make you feel what you are feeling rn.....also check the specs of your mother's pc....not every pc is suited to run games.....which would cause you network/fps problems causing either lag or fps lag

Si1verBlood #8 Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 14710 battles
  • [SR-71]

View Post_Cletus, on 21 July 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

I say turn off the computer and spend some quality time with your mother.  Take her out for all you can eat shrimp.

^^^^^this is the best answer tho

HugGigolo #9 Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 21682 battles
  • [AGILE]
As well as lower FPS, could also be more internet latency. Whenever you input a movement, it gets sent to the game server and "moves" the tank there, then the result is sent back to your device. So higher ping = laggy input.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users