Forumers that work/have worked in confined spaces?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

trogvision #1 Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:09 AM

Rushing B

• Players
  • 18924 battles
  • [ATO]
What is/was it like? Did you ever have anxiety about people turning the machine on while you were working inside of it?
Nobody likes AFK'ers.

_pixel_combatant_ #2 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 792 battles

Confined spaces like marine and stationary pressure vessels, yes.

Lockout/Tagout (energy/power neutralization) is a program mandated by OSHA is help prevent accidents like that, although as you can imagine people still can get hurt if procedures are overlooked. By and large I think it works well.

_Cletus #3 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:21 AM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24542 battles
  • [HAHA]

The biggest issue is oxygen, or lack thereof.  Many times a person has passed out while cleaning tanks without a proper air supply.  Then their buddy tries to save them, dies as well.  And then their buddy....I'm not kidding, I've heard stories of multiple fatalities in chemical tanks.  There is specialized training and equipment you really should utilize before you start working in confined spaces.

If it's a machine, you need to lock out the energy supply.  Usually this is electricity, completely disconnect the power supply and put a tag on the connector to make sure it's not reconnected while you're inside.  And have a buddy outside in communication with you watching the controls, the power supply, and talking to you while you do the work.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

Silver_Lions #4 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:44 AM

Illegitimi non Carborundum

• Players
  • 20226 battles
  • [GHOST]

View Post_Cletus, on 06 September 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

The biggest issue is oxygen, or lack thereof.  Many times a person has passed out while cleaning tanks without a proper air supply.  Then their buddy tries to save them, dies as well.  And then their buddy....I'm not kidding, I've heard stories of multiple fatalities in chemical tanks.  There is specialized training and equipment you really should utilize before you start working in confined spaces.

If it's a machine, you need to lock out the energy supply.  Usually this is electricity, completely disconnect the power supply and put a tag on the connector to make sure it's not reconnected while you're inside.  And have a buddy outside in communication with you watching the controls, the power supply, and talking to you while you do the work.

^This happened to several co workers of mine in an oil plant, cleaning out the elevator pit using trichlorothene.   They lived, but barely...

For me,  working inside the turret, and engine compartment of the M48's & M60s for me.  Working inside a tank is best described as working inside a machine, and once inside that machine, take it more apart within a relatively small space took a lot of patience and sweat.   It was always worse in the heat than in the cold.   Never , ever worked on it thought when then battery supply or engine was turned on- never.......

RonaldusMaximus_ #5 Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7934 battles
  • [HAHA]
Lockout Tags... Ive only had one overridden while I was on a conveyor, He was fired before I made it back.

_Cletus, on 02 July 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Step 1:  Don't open your mouth in an alley.

Dado_1968 #6 Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28059 battles
  • [MOM]

As mentioned earlier, lockout/tag out, confined space permitting, continuous air monitoring, a lifeline (if practical) and a dedicated hole watch are parts of a safe confined space entry program.  Also make sure your hole watch knows his/her responsibilities, is paying attention and is not distracted playing WoTB on their phone while you’re inside the confined space.

Only anxiety I ever experienced was being inside a furnace one time that was really too hot to be in.  My ears got crispy and my safety glasses branded my temples.

Edited by Dado_1968, 04 October 2019 - 08:35 AM.

"I won't go and complain to the chemistry." - Costa

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

trogvision #7 Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

Rushing B

• Players
  • 18924 battles
  • [ATO]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 09 September 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

Lockout Tags... Ive only had one overridden while I was on a conveyor, He was fired before I made it back.

That must have been terrifying. Atleast for sure he wont do it again.

Edited by trogvision, 04 October 2019 - 03:45 PM.

Nobody likes AFK'ers.

_Cletus #8 Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24542 battles
  • [HAHA]
Also, I've worked extensively in my redhead's confined space.  It's pretty dangerous work, there's a high risk of stabbing.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users