Jump to content


Anyone Play Blitz With Handicaps?

Empathy Handicaps Perspective

  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

_ImUrHuckleberry #1 Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14462 battles
  • 906
  • [SRT-A]
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

I broke my left hand pinky finger the other day. I figured, no biggie-hardly use it aside from my Dr. Evil impersonations. Alas, I forgot I use the damn thing exclusively for the aim zoom with the left shift button.

 

No, I never really got comfortable using the manual zoom mouse scroll because I'd always have it on max zoom at the most inopportune times. Not worth that extra second of fumbling around in a brawl. 

 

But that gave me pause as I wanted to play earlier today but the weekend playerbase + my "handicap" made me go eat some sushi with sake instead on this lovely day.

 

How many anonymous players have crippling handicaps permanently? Anything from arthritis, poor eye sight, and even crap ping. I'm sure it's nowhere near prevalent enough to account for all the poor players, but it's a factor I'd say.

 

Or perhaps you've overcome the obstacles and become a great player? A super uni with some handicap would really be something to inspire us all. Or at least sheepishly shame us :bush:

 

It is just a game after all, and some folks need the distraction to deal with life.  It could be worse, someone could easily just off themselves or others. A little dent in sanity for us seems to not be a bad price to pay for respite to those who really need it. 

 

How many of you have such issues? I'm just curious; it might even be a relief for you to speak up? I know this is cathartic to me given how I rage sometimes with some teams. A little perspective is never a bad thing.

 

Your thoughts? 



RommelTanker #2 Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:00 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4058 battles
  • 2,648
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

I don't have any physical handicaps that I can really think of, and unless you count ADHD and aspergers as a mental handicap, I don't have of those others.

 

I do consider playing on a mobile device a mild handicap since controlling my tank is an utter pain in the ar-. It's definitely manageable, but I seriously struggle sometimes. Aside from that though, no I don't really play Blitz with any handicaps. 


Blitz Forums' resident Leopard PT A main.

I have discovered the glory of the Tiger 1. 

He who types many stupid essays and boasts about bad Leopard PT A stats.

I'm probably one of the only players in the game with over 5,500 WN8 in a Tier 1 tank. If that's not the most useless achievement ever I dunno what is.

HE does more damage than AP... in loopy land. 


Mako__Reizei___ #3 Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:01 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6696 battles
  • 310
  • [ALI4S]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2016
I did play a couple of rounds with handicap before and that was because I burned my hands while washing the dishes. The water was hot, like STEAMING HOT, and the water I normally use was hot enough to produce steam but not hot enough to actually burn skin. Needless to say, my hands were as red as lobster during that time.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

 

I have 11k WN8 and 2.5k WN7 on my Leichtraktor (Nano_Virus of the DAMGE clan). Not sure if I should be proud of this...


Roberto577_One #4 Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:22 PM

    Chungus Supreme

  • Players
  • 5825 battles
  • 223
  • [DRIFT]
  • Member since:
    06-17-2018

I played on an IPhone 6 for a while, which sucked since I'm used to playing on Windows. I don't really have any advice for a physical handicap like yours, but I can give you two options.

 

Option #1: avoid situations that force you to utilize your handicap. For me, I sucked at brawling with the IPhone. I would always turn the tank the wrong way, or something similar. So I would stay at arms length, never closer than 50 meters from an enemy. For you, it might be the opposite, brawl so you don't have to enter sniper mode. No scope like a pro. Try to flank so you can hit enemy heavies sides or rear, rather than having to zoom in to shoot their frontal weakspots.

 

Option #2: work around your handicap. Learn to use a different finger to zoom in. For me, I hated hitting shift to fire, so I got a mouse with a 3rd button, right next to the left click. I hotkeyed Sniper Mode to that instead of shift, and it feels more natural, honestly.

 

That's all the advice I can give, hopefully it helps.


Excuse me while I club your double T-49 platoon with my SP I C.

 

Proud owner of the Leeroy Jenkins-Mobile.

 

I don't always club, but when I do, it's in stock Tier 9 Mediums.


EL_Din_46 #5 Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:28 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4187 battles
  • 479
  • Member since:
    05-13-2019

As an old guy (73) I’ve several old guy features — arthritis, “trigger fingers” on both hands that lock up on me, slower reflexes, the usual distracting aches and a tendency to being a chrochety SOB at times. Since I’ve been playing computer games since the late ‘70’s I’ve added better keyboards, more comfortable gaming chairs, and a large trackball as I went along. The keyboard looks hot and the other two help. The SOB stuff is a work in progress (and your tolerance has been appreciated). Mostly I do what my dogs do: eat when I’m hungry, sleep when I’m tired and play when I feel good. 

 

Oh, and learn new things and get reasonably good at them - eventually. Like Blitz.

 

edit: the fancy chair? It’s for my health. Being in the computer room when it’s too hot or too cold and wet for an old guy to be outside? Yep, just being healthy. ;)


Edited by EL_Din_46, 15 September 2019 - 12:27 AM.

 

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

 

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire


Silver_Lions #6 Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

    Illegitimi non Carborundum

  • Players
  • 20243 battles
  • 1,160
  • [GHOST]
  • Member since:
    11-22-2014
Like El Din,  I am 55, bad arthritis, 5 operations on my hands, re-attached tendons, two trigger fingers that have been operated on, a third finger triggering up now.    Its isnt fun sometimes when the hands dont want to work.  What really turns my screws is when RNG believes its necessary for me to have to press the fire button three times to get a shot off, or that its also necessary to slow down my tank on terrain, or other blueschiitt it throws my way. 

Chiefmac #7 Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:50 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 42368 battles
  • 128
  • [ROTI]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2014
Being color blind makes many things in Blitz very difficult. 

Edited by Chiefmac, 16 September 2019 - 03:37 PM.


RommelTanker #8 Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:07 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4058 battles
  • 2,648
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View PostChiefmac, on 14 September 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Bring color blind makes many things in Blitz very difficult. 

 

Oh god. Coz red and green both look like similar shades of grey. I remember hearing a news story about how there was a christmas football game a bit back where the Nike Colorrush uniforms were bright red and green and colorblind viewers raised utter hell with the NFL because they couldn't tell which team was winning.

 

Dude, my deepest sympathies. If you want I can try seeing about making a mod that changes the colors of the HUD to look like the PC Colorblind HUD (purple for red team, a paler green for green team, and yellow for platoon/self chat instead of orange)

 

EDIT: Actually after thinking about it I'm not sure that the colorblind friendly colors would affect your whole HUD, so there may not be a point. If you check my profile, there's a link to a discord server of nothing but Blitz modders, they'll be able to help you better than me most likely.


Edited by RommelTanker, 15 September 2019 - 01:12 AM.

Blitz Forums' resident Leopard PT A main.

I have discovered the glory of the Tiger 1. 

He who types many stupid essays and boasts about bad Leopard PT A stats.

I'm probably one of the only players in the game with over 5,500 WN8 in a Tier 1 tank. If that's not the most useless achievement ever I dunno what is.

HE does more damage than AP... in loopy land. 


Silver_Lions #9 Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:13 AM

    Illegitimi non Carborundum

  • Players
  • 20243 battles
  • 1,160
  • [GHOST]
  • Member since:
    11-22-2014

View PostEL_Din_46, on 14 September 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

As an old guy (73) I’ve several old guy features — arthritis, “trigger fingers” on both hands that lock up on me, slower reflexes, the usual distracting aches and a tendency to being a chrochety SOB at times. Since I’ve been playing computer games since the late ‘70’s I’ve added better keyboards, more comfortable gaming chairs, and a large trackball as I went along. The keyboard looks hot and the other two help. The SOB stuff is a work in progress (and your tolerance has been appreciated). Mostly I do what my dogs do: eat when I’m hungry, sleep when I’m tired and play when I feel good.

 

Oh, and learn new things and get reasonably good at them - eventually. Like Blitz.

 

edit: the fancy chair? It’s for my health. Being in the computer room when it’s too hot or too cold and wet for an old guy to be outside? Yep, just being healthy. ;)

El,  If you have trigger finger bad enough, go see if you can get the "Pulley Release" surgery done.  I have had it done twice, looks like a third finger wants it now too.   It just got too painful, and eventually started keeping me awake at night.  The surgery, and how they inject the anesthesia into your hand, while your wide awake for the whole thing, is not fun.  But you will regain about 85% of your finger strength back, and can straighten it out with zero problems after about two months of therapy.    It apparently is somewhat genetic in my family, but I swear having Lyme disease kicked off the episodes I am having......Good Luck!



_ImUrHuckleberry #10 Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:38 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14462 battles
  • 906
  • [SRT-A]
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

View PostRommelTanker, on 14 September 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

I don't have any physical handicaps that I can really think of, and unless you count ADHD and aspergers as a mental handicap, I don't have of those others.

 

I do consider playing on a mobile device a mild handicap since controlling my tank is an utter pain in the ar-. It's definitely manageable, but I seriously struggle sometimes. Aside from that though, no I don't really play Blitz with any handicaps. 

 

I don't know enough about Asperger's and ADHD but i very recently was talking to Mr. Baddenov about his game play and he eventually opened about how Asperger's can cause him great discomfort when playing. I distinctly remember him stating how everything in the game is loud to him, and he had trouble focusing on what loud aspects of the game to focus on at times. 

 

It's easy to judge others by one's own metrics, but we aren't a monolithic species, nor are we robots. That insight makes one less of a prick and i realized that for the most part, we don't see the forest for the trees unless we make a conscious effort to pay attention. That's why instead of whining about my petty pinky issue, i thought i'd hopefully shed some light for those with real roadblocks in Blitz, and in life in general. And in the course of doing so, in some small way, becoming a better person and giving the reader some food for thought as well.

 

To the rest of you with some incredibly painful and disconcerting health issues, i truly hope you find relief from the random and not-so-random hazards of life. Here's to you fighting the good fight and always striving for peace and joy. Life is too short to do anything but that.

 

With respect,

 



RommelTanker #11 Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:57 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4058 battles
  • 2,648
  • [_DX2_]
  • Member since:
    09-03-2017

View Post_ImUrHuckleberry, on 14 September 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

 

I don't know enough about Asperger's and ADHD but i very recently was talking to Mr. Baddenov about his game play and he eventually opened about how Asperger's can cause him great discomfort when playing. I distinctly remember him stating how everything in the game is loud to him, and he had trouble focusing on what loud aspects of the game to focus on at times. 

 

It's easy to judge others by one's own metrics, but we aren't a monolithic species, nor are we robots. That insight makes one less of a prick and i realized that for the most part, we don't see the forest for the trees unless we make a conscious effort to pay attention. That's why instead of whining about my petty pinky issue, i thought i'd hopefully shed some light for those with real roadblocks in Blitz, and in life in general. And in the course of doing so, in some small way, becoming a better person and giving the reader some food for thought as well.

 

To the rest of you with some incredibly painful and disconcerting health issues, i truly hope you find relief from the random and not-so-random hazards of life. Here's to you fighting the good fight and always striving for peace and joy. Life is too short to do anything but that.

 

With respect,

 

 

I empathize with Mr. Baddenov about the volume of the game at times; while I have a bigger issue with lights (god please purge this world of fluorescent lamp bulbs), sound can set me in a pretty irritable mood. I'm particularly not fond of overly loud music (especially since I wear headphones while playing more often than not) and loud sounds in general can suck. I actually joke with my family about how I listen to various things at lower volumes than they do (even when my headphones are headphones and not ear buds and have worse sound quality) and can still hear better than them xD

 

As for ADHD... attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Basically I have a hard time focusing on more than one thing at a time. And my attention span is about as wide as a goldfish's. So if you see me in game and I catch you out, I'll probably be tunneling you and not notice someone else behind me and whatnot. Otherwise yeah. While I don't struggle as much as others with my problem, I definitely know that there are a lot of people out there that DO struggle with it, and when those people pop up I'd want to help them, and I hope everyone else here would want to help them as well. 


Blitz Forums' resident Leopard PT A main.

I have discovered the glory of the Tiger 1. 

He who types many stupid essays and boasts about bad Leopard PT A stats.

I'm probably one of the only players in the game with over 5,500 WN8 in a Tier 1 tank. If that's not the most useless achievement ever I dunno what is.

HE does more damage than AP... in loopy land. 


__Frostbite #12 Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:59 AM

    Ribble4Prez2020

  • Players
  • 24288 battles
  • 2,575
  • [-0]
  • Member since:
    06-13-2016
I play primarily with two thumbs. If PC is the only option for you, get a gaming mouse. You can fire with the left, go into sniper view with the scroll button (keep right click unassigned for free-look), and use autoaim for a thumb button. You can also program autoaim to C or V or something easy for your thumb, or just use the Space bar.
rusty.

_ImUrHuckleberry #13 Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:07 AM

    I have two guns, one for each of you

  • Players
  • 14462 battles
  • 906
  • [SRT-A]
  • Member since:
    08-07-2016

View Post__Frostbite, on 14 September 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

I play primarily with two thumbs. If PC is the only option for you, get a gaming mouse. You can fire with the left, go into sniper view with the scroll button (keep right click unassigned for free-look), and use autoaim for a thumb button. You can also program autoaim to C or V or something easy for your thumb, or just use the Space bar.

 

I just got me a shiny new Galaxy Tab, might as well learn to pay mobile. It's going to be hard since I've played on PC for literally decades. But now is a good a time as any, and i never understood how the PC pros did their setup. That setup makes a lot more sense than how i usually run my game haha. i'm gonna give it a go, tyvm.



MaxxDamage #14 Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:20 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 51895 battles
  • 80
  • [CRUEL]
  • Member since:
    11-28-2014
Funny you should ask.  Had a game on Castilla today, we had a VK 28 out of position whole game, trying to be a sniper, just generally not in the game, when he finally made contact he was dead in 17 seconds.  I messaged him after game to give him some “advice”, he responded by saying that it was hard for him to play since he had lost a few fingers in an accident.  I did not know if he was trolling me so I just said sorry about that, maybe this is not the game for you then.

EL_Din_46 #15 Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:32 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4187 battles
  • 479
  • Member since:
    05-13-2019

View PostSilver_Lions, on 14 September 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

El,  If you have trigger finger bad enough, go see if you can get the "Pulley Release" surgery done.  I have had it done twice, looks like a third finger wants it now too.   It just got too painful, and eventually started keeping me awake at night.  The surgery, and how they inject the anesthesia into your hand, while your wide awake for the whole thing, is not fun.  But you will regain about 85% of your finger strength back, and can straighten it out with zero problems after about two months of therapy.    It apparently is somewhat genetic in my family, but I swear having Lyme disease kicked off the episodes I am having......Good Luck!


Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. So far cortisone shots seem to be helping, but with it showing up in the other hand I just have to see how it goes. If I get back to levitating out of bed in the middle of the night I’ll be looking for other options pretty quickly. The strength and movement recovery sounds good too. Since I live in the mountains and am no stranger to ticks Lyme disease worries me. It’s in the area but so far I’ve been lucky. 


Edited by EL_Din_46, 15 September 2019 - 05:17 AM.

 

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

 

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire


EL_Din_46 #16 Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:13 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4187 battles
  • 479
  • Member since:
    05-13-2019

View PostMaxxDamage, on 14 September 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Funny you should ask.  Had a game on Castilla today, we had a VK 28 out of position whole game, trying to be a sniper, just generally not in the game, when he finally made contact he was dead in 17 seconds.  I messaged him after game to give him some “advice”, he responded by saying that it was hard for him to play since he had lost a few fingers in an accident.  I did not know if he was trolling me so I just said sorry about that, maybe this is not the game for you then.

 

Jingles has a video where the player had an exceptional game. He never really drove in a straight line and had caught some salt for that. Jingles explained at the end that of the video that the player had been born with only one hand. His custom rig was down and that game had been played with a standard keyboard and mouse.

 

People are adaptable, but that takes time and is helped by the right equipment. I had the time playing other games to find what helped me and to discover how to compensate where needed. Blitz is a demanding and unforgiving game. If he had not had the time needed, your advice might not have been that bad. It would be nice though, if WG got the 6.2 MM scheme working so people would have a place to take that time and still play Blitz. 


Edited by EL_Din_46, 15 September 2019 - 05:18 AM.

 

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

 

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire


Untrust______ #17 Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 78831 battles
  • 675
  • [FILTH]
  • Member since:
    03-19-2016
I play handicapped every match 1 vs 13 . Unless I'm tooned up then it's 2 vs 12.

" If u like your salt you can keep your salt " 


minitel_NA #18 Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 454 battles
  • 5,185
  • [EUREF]
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

There has been a few of those threads, on occasion.

 

it appears that a lot of the forumers are older and /or have some reasons to spend long hours on forums and on the game. Temporary or chronically conditions, age, and so on. I have fybromyalgia, and other things. Not sure how it impacts my game but I only play when I am too tired to do anything else. If I feel okay, I would rather be doing something in real life. I remember sometimes being so tired  reading through the team list and finding someone from my clan, and looking forward to meeting him in game. And after a few seconds it was my own name that I didn’t even register. There was a period of time it could do that to me almost every game. With such bizarre memory and attention lock, it certainly impacts my decision process lol...

 

in game, I think a lot of players are kids, like less than 12 year old kids.


Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

 


EL_Din_46 #19 Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4187 battles
  • 479
  • Member since:
    05-13-2019

View Postminitel_NA, on 15 September 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

it appears that a lot of the forumers are older and /or have some reasons to spend long hours on forums and on the game. 

....

in game, I think a lot of players are kids, like less than 12 year old kids.

 

It sure looks like that. But while there may only be a small number posting on this forum, there are 939 people browsing it right now. The people we see in game may be more interested in learning about this game than we think. 


 

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

 

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire


minitel_NA #20 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 454 battles
  • 5,185
  • [EUREF]
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostEL_Din_46, on 15 September 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

 

It sure looks like that. But while there may only be a small number posting on this forum, there are 939 people browsing it right now. The people we see in game may be more interested in learning about this game than we think. 


oh my, 939 people slipped through WG’s barrier to entry into the forums. Hugh...


Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

 






Also tagged with Empathy, Handicaps, Perspective

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users