59 Patton and the Tumor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SullBhit #1 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29392 battles
  • [CLEAR]

Im looking around the forum... and there aren’t many really helpful threads.  So I thought... the 59 Patton just came out to the masses in the latest event.  Let’s discuss that tank with a focus to help... the less fortunate thinkers.

So.  I picked mine up for about 5500 gold (about 110 days of ads).  My first impression as I managed a 30 something % win rate through about 10 games was... what a steaming pile of melted Snickers.  Pretty slow.  Crappy alpha.  Paper hull.  Huge tumor.  All leading to low damage per game.  I was regretting 110 days of lost ads.  I’m not a quitter, though.  I had been playing the Type 59 a lot recently and I was using a similar play style in the 59 Patton.  Since the tanks are 100% different, I had to reassess.  Here’s what I considered:

• Good turret armor (with exception of the tumor).  Keep moving to limit hatch shots. 
  • Great gun depression (I’m used to Russian tanks).  Shoot over hills similar to T34.
  • Incredible Rate of Fire.  Make slower RoF tanks pay with 2 hits after you see them shoot.
  • Hull shape and tank height exposes hull if you shoot around hills.
  • Hull armor is non existent.  Just don’t expose the hull or brawl. 

The next 20-30 games were played with a completely different play style.  I poked over rises (dunes, hills, bridges, anything) where I would only expose the turret.  This meant I stopped shooting around dunes.  I would peak over at an angle.  This meant my turret was not only moving up and down but side to side, as well.  All in an effort to make the tumor harder to hit.  I got plenty of bounces while delivering damage over and over.

YOU CAN’T SIT STILL WITH YOUR TURRET EXPOSED.  Some TDS will zero in on your tumor and cancel you.  You need to learn to snap your shots to keep your turret moving.  I learned this playing the T-34 but had to relearn it for the 59 Patton.

I’m running consistently in the mid 60’s on win rate.  The average damage isn’t great but what’s not reflected is the attention I take in game.  Pop someone twice in quick succession and they will tunnel.  I’ve sat in cover doing nothing with 3 guns sitting idle waiting for me to peak as my team gained the advantage with the other 4.  I just sat there.

I don’t know how I feel overall about the tank.  It’s quite effective when played right.  It’s not a carry beast, though.  If you get pushed on, you won’t last too long.   Especially because I am a bad 1v1 player.  

IronBehemoth #2 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7130 battles
  • [COTB]
Makes me think of the Chieftain which also has an annoying tumor and is hard to deal significant damage in. I feel that higher alpha for the chieftain, and maybe the patton (assuming its not already in the 250-350 range) with the same overall dpm would make them more relevant to the current meta.

__Frostbite #3 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

Ribble4Prez2020

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [-0]
At least its better than the T95E2. that thing is so bad, it's basically a 59-Patton but with worse turret armor.
rusty.

_Cletus #4 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24542 battles
  • [HAHA]
Nice thread Sullbhit.  I'd say that your post is a good lesson on dealing with tumors, there are lots of tanks with vulnerable hatches out there that must be driving the noobs crazy.  The answer to the dealing with the tumor is to drive up a ridge at an angle so when your turret pops over the ridge it's also moving side to side, and work on your snap shot.  This works on any tank you're using to ridge fight, it's tactic that I've been getting better at since I started driving the Bromwell.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

_Cletus #5 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24542 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Post__Frostbite, on 16 September 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

At least its better than the T95E2. that thing is so bad, it's basically a 59-Patton but with worse turret armor.

Uhhhhhh....Mav?  Name change again?

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

AOT_Jaeger2 #6 Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17820 battles
  • [ASLAN]

View Post__Frostbite, on 16 September 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

I’d say the T95E2 has the superior gun in everything outside RoF. 

Garage: T7 CC, R35, Light VIC, Tetrarch, M4A2E4, PzKpfw. IV Anko SP, KV-2, Strv. 74A2, LTTB, SU-122-44, IS-3, IS-5, KV-5, Lowe.

Was #24 VK 30.01 (P) Player in NA, #32 in Luchs

Stats:http://www.blitzstar...com/AOT_Jaeger2

Youtuber? I guess?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users