Help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Citroncactus #1 Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:36 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

I am here on the suggestions of some people in game, as I am aware I need some help if I plan on improving from abysmal to partially serviceable. My issue is an inability to win at all, literally. My problems started a month or two back, when I first started having lose streaks. Before that, my winrate was in the ballpark of 48 % or so. Once I hit the A-20, my first lose streak kicked in. I would go days without winning a single battle. Eventually, I ground my way past that tank and made the KV-1, in which I had normal success. Then, when I hit KV-1S, things took a turn for the worse. There were several days straight where I wouldn't win a single battle out of hours and hours of gameplay, dropping my winrate to 38% (I know, I'm garbage). It got so bad that I would have to go out and take out my rage on shrubs with an axe, and yet, I still kept playing, despite this (being practically blind with fury probably didn't help). In hindsight, I should have just put the game down. Anyhow, hundreds of lost games in a row does a number on you, and my win streak never recovered. 

What has personally helped was going back and playing the new European Nation tech trees (I was able to get an M in the Vickers Mark F), but I think it's probably a good idea to stop running from my problems.

While there are plenty of 12 year olds who constantly message me to tell me I'm [edited], there is always a good player who tells me to go to the forums for tips, so that's why I'm here. I'm not sure if all these losses are entirely my fault, or partially the result of bad teams, but I'm trying to improve. Obviously, some of it is outside my ability to influence, I seem to be very frequently placed with teams which consistently run in and die early game with little coordination, but I'm looking input. I suppose it's mostly my fault.

Edited by Citroncactus, 17 October 2019 - 03:40 AM.

IronBehemoth #2 Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8802 battles
  • [-PYX-]

1. The losses are 100% your fault. Your stats, quite frankly, are abysmal.

2. What you describe about teams yoloing will mostly disappear at higher tiers.

3.  In regards to improving, all of your tanks have VERY LOW spots.. like .3. This leads me to believe you spend the game camping without contributing any damage. You need to position yourself in cover where you can deal damage and not take it in return. This could mean a rock where you peek out when tanks are looking the other way, or, if you have a strong turret and good gun depression, a hill where only your turret is visible. The key to the game is balancing aggressiveness with patience. Push when necessary, hold back when you think peeking is going to get you blown to bits. Oh, and knowing when to reposition. If it looks like youre going to get overrun in the next 30 seconds, retreat and reposition.

4. Your hit rate is very low. I advise getting the game on Steam for the pc. It makes it easier to aim. I play only on the pc.

Absolute_Sniper #3 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:02 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38253 battles
  • [CRU2L]
Welcome to the forums. You will find we are a brutally honest bunch but many will help those that ask. First advice is to always look at what you can do better. Blaming teams, matchmaking, anything other than yourself won’t help you win more. 2nd advice is don’t freak out when the guys here tear your stats apart. Many can tell you exactly what and how you are making mistakes based solely off you performance stats. Most wont sugar coat it. As for how to win, that’s a very big question. I’ll let those better than me answer that.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

alphablob #4 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:03 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31346 battles
  • [MOM]
Have you watched any good player's on youtube?
Camo net is for cowards.

Citroncactus #5 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:12 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 17 October 2019 - 03:56 AM, said:

1. The losses are 100% your fault. Your stats, quite frankly, are abysmal.

2. What you describe about teams yoloing will mostly disappear at higher tiers.

3.  In regards to improving, all of your tanks have VERY LOW spots.. like .3. This leads me to believe you spend the game camping without contributing any damage. You need to position yourself in cover where you can deal damage and not take it in return. This could mean a rock where you peek out when tanks are looking the other way, or, if you have a strong turret and good gun depression, a hill where only your turret is visible. The key to the game is balancing aggressiveness with patience. Push when necessary, hold back when you think peeking is going to get you blown to bits. Oh, and knowing when to reposition. If it looks like youre going to get overrun in the next 30 seconds, retreat and reposition.

4. Your hit rate is very low. I advise getting the game on Steam for the pc. It makes it easier to aim. I play only on the pc.

Thanks for the help. 

Edit: PC broke, I'm stuck with a phone with a small screen.

Edited by Citroncactus, 17 October 2019 - 04:13 AM.

Citroncactus #6 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:16 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 17 October 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

Welcome to the forums. You will find we are a brutally honest bunch but many will help those that ask. First advice is to always look at what you can do better. Blaming teams, matchmaking, anything other than yourself won’t help you win more. 2nd advice is don’t freak out when the guys here tear your stats apart. Many can tell you exactly what and how you are making mistakes based solely off you performance stats. Most wont sugar coat it. As for how to win, that’s a very big question. I’ll let those better than me answer that.

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 17 October 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

I get it. I don't care if people tear my stats apart, I know they're trash. 

Citroncactus #7 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:16 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

View Postalphablob, on 17 October 2019 - 04:03 AM, said:

Have you watched any good player's on youtube?

I have tried, but it's hard to pick it apart and figure out what they are actually doing.

IronBehemoth #8 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8802 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostCitroncactus, on 17 October 2019 - 04:16 AM, said:

I have tried, but it's hard to pick it apart and figure out what they are actually doing.

Establish a position. You should generally know where youre going before the game starts. Be prepared to change plans, though, if the team doesnt follow. I say follow because the best players lead the team. Tanks that twirl their turrets and wait for the other tanks to move first are never good players. Dont camp unless youre in an antitank. By camping, I mean sitting at the back of the map. There's a difference between sniping and camping. Sniping involves relocation and sometimes aggression.

Citroncactus #9 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:24 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 17 October 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Establish a position. You should generally know where youre going before the game starts. Be prepared to change plans, though, if the team doesnt follow. I say follow because the best players lead the team. Tanks that twirl their turrets and wait for the other tanks to move first are never good players. Dont camp unless youre in an antitank. By camping, I mean sitting at the back of the map. There's a difference between sniping and camping. Sniping involves relocation and sometimes aggression.

What would you say is the best way to play the KV-1S?

alphablob #10 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:25 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31346 battles
  • [MOM]

View PostCitroncactus, on 17 October 2019 - 04:16 AM, said:

Keep watching. Do it while you are having a snack or relaxing. Find a channel that has helpful content.

Keep playing. Spend more time in lower tiers — you don't have that many battles on your account. Play in tier 3 & 4 until you get decent in those tiers before moving up. 

Or maybe leave the game. There are tons of fun games out there, or so I hear.

Camo net is for cowards.

Citroncactus #11 Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:30 AM

Private

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [2ALL]

View Postalphablob, on 17 October 2019 - 04:25 AM, said:

Keep watching. Do it while you are having a snack or relaxing. Find a channel that has helpful content.

Keep playing. Spend more time in lower tiers — you don't have that many battles on your account. Play in tier 3 & 4 until you get decent in those tiers before moving up. 

Or maybe leave the game. There are tons of fun games out there, or so I hear.

Well, I'm from War Thunder, which is a much different game than this. It's pretty fun, if overly grindy.

EL_Din_46 #12 Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5240 battles

There’s only one thing I’ll add to the good advice others have given: Don’t have losing streaks.

Once most people get the point of calling it a losing streak on some level they start expecting to lose, so they do. Before that happens change your tank, your tier, your socks, whatever it takes for you to go into the next battle with a positive attitude. Break the streak before it breaks you. It may sound hokey, but people keep repeating the “Yes I can” and “we’re number 1” stuff because it works. Going to the EU line worked, only do it sooner next time. Once it does work you might find that tank that you had trouble with isn’t quite as bad. 

Edited by EL_Din_46, 17 October 2019 - 05:50 AM.

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

Doilky #13 Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:02 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16438 battles
  • [EXTRA]

My advice is don't play the KV1s.  I love the tank, but the only gun that really works is the big derpy gun, and that long reload takes some working around. 

You have more flexibility in the T1 heavy.   Try playing  a few tier 5 meds.  The M4 Sherman has amazing gun depression, so you can play ridges very nicely. 

Don't yolo, try to use the HP of your yoloing teamates to get shots in on red while you can. 

I was horrible for my first 1000 games.  You're lucky that you don't have to lean on the M3 Lee. That thing is was a noobs nightmare. 

Try to be aware of where you team is, keep an eye on the map.  Don't be afraid to run away from a fight if there are too many reds, or you team isn't supporting. This is a complicated game, there are lots of mechanics to figure out. 

Get a larger device.  I used to play on a tablet, then moved to a chrome book, then finally moved to PC (easily more than half of my games are on touch screen devices).  Each time the screens got bigger, and it got easier to be aware of where the reds were and what they were doing. 

In my humble opinion the biggest things to winning at low tiers:

• Don't Yolo, any time you are 1 v2 or 1v3 or 1v4 you are likely to get deleted quickly.  
  • Be aware of the reds, where they are what they are doing. 
  • Hide behind cover between shots
  • Support your teamates
  • Try not to pull out sideways in front of the reds.  No armor is going to save you
  • If you see a teamate getting deleted by 2 or 3 reds, don't be tempted to run in and save them.  Try to put in some shots, but keep your distance as that 3v1 on your teamate can quickly turn into a 3v1 against you as well. 

Good Luck. 

Edited by Doilky, 17 October 2019 - 06:03 AM.

__V_O_P__ #14 Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34069 battles
  • [CURSD]
You said it. They said it. Your stats are trash.

General points would be to:

Broaden your tank repertoire - hardly any meds play and no TDs. Playing other tanks types helps you understand their strengths and weaknesses- where they go and what they do.

Survive. If I might quote Patton. “The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.” You die a lot. Like a ridiculous amount.

Given the comments made above about your spot rate and what I can see about your poor hit rate I'd guess an average game goes like this... loads in driving a heavy. Presses forward looking for red, alone, unafraid. Mediums and lights find red on other flank. Stops. Orientates to fight. Decided that you are too slow and too far away so snipes for a bit. Green die. Reds swarm in. You kill some. Damage others. And die. Last. And alone.

Heavies without meds. Meds without heavies. Either without TD support. A recipe for disaster.

And toon more.

tedg5 #15 Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 50756 battles
  • [AGOGO]

I suggest you play a few tiers lower more. Say 3-5. Learn the metas of the maps, I.e. where to meds go on this map, where to heavies usually go. Try to go the “right” way and encourage team to do so. But, if team is not doing that stay with the majority, there is strength in numbers. Move from cover to cover. I think tankers should not move up a tier until you are 50% at it, or at least 50% in your favorite tank at that tier. That is all for now. :playing:

Just realized terrible english above, apologies.

Edited by tedg5, 17 October 2019 - 11:53 AM.

___ez_e___ #16 Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 63162 battles
  • [GORT]

I’m playing the KV-S1 a lot recently because I’m relearning manual aim in sniper mode.  If you see me online ask me to platoon.  If you don’t have discord, I recommend getting it.   

Basically your stats indicate you need to learn the basic tactics (side scrape, spotting, etc) and strategy (where to be and which tactic to use).  Then after learn the basics, you have to be somewhat disciplined to prevent yoloing and being out of position.   

Watch a lot of videos.   

j_rod #17 Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

719-266-2837

• Players
  • 23695 battles
  • [H0B0S]
Some of your problem could be mechanical given your hit % and the fact that you’re on a small device. I’m going to make an assumption that you’re an adult, so you could be having problems maintaining control on a smaller device. I play on an iPhone X and it’s too small for my hands to comfortably play, so I went out and got an external controller which has helped dramatically.

You can pick up a SteelSeries Nimbus controller and a clip for your phone off Amazon for less than $60. Or if you want a completely self-contained device, the Gamevice gets good reviews.

https://www.howtogee...iphone-or-ipad/

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

tedg5 #18 Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 50756 battles
  • [AGOGO]

View Postj_rod, on 17 October 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

Some of your problem could be mechanical given your hit % and the fact that you’re on a small device. I’m going to make an assumption that you’re an adult, so you could be having problems maintaining control on a smaller device. I play on an iPhone X and it’s too small for my hands to comfortably play, so I went out and got an external controller which has helped dramatically.

You can pick up a SteelSeries Nimbus controller and a clip for your phone off Amazon for less than $60. Or if you want a completely self-contained device, the Gamevice gets good reviews.

https://www.howtogee...iphone-or-ipad/

I played many games on my phone and was doing “ok”, I finally moved to an iPad mini and what a difference. Now I can’t even when I only have my phone. :playing:

j_rod #19 Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

719-266-2837

• Players
  • 23695 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View Posttedg5, on 17 October 2019 - 06:08 AM, said:

I played many games on my phone and was doing “ok”, I finally moved to an iPad mini and what a difference. Now I can’t even when I only have my phone. :playing:

That’s my problem now. If my controller craps out and I have to play totally on the touchscreen, it’s pretty awful.

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

Duke_87 #20 Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31324 battles
  • [MOM]
Good for you, OP! This is a significant step in becoming a much better player. Most bad players will just stubbornly keep failing in the same ways, over and over, forever. :honoring:

Goal: Suck incrementally less, day by day

Also tagged with Help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users