156 replies to this topic

Kiwi_Kebab #1 Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1440 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

https://newest-websi...world-of-tanks/

Below is an article from NewestWebsites.com:

'Researchers Dr. Shane Murnion, Prof. William J Buchanan, Adrian Smales, and Dr. Gordon Russell used custom-built web crawler/web spider to collect large chunk of data regarding in-game chat from WOT matches and after analyzing the data, they concluded that  63%  of  all cyberbullying messages occurred after the player’s death in the game.

In their research, academics offered  solution to fight toxic behaviour

"If players are prevented from engaging in in-game chat for a short duration after their death it is quite feasible that in game toxic chat would be drastically reduced“, concluded the researchers.

One more interesting result from the research was that new player do not exhibit toxic behaviour.

"Cyberbullying  seems to  turn up  after the players  have  been  playing  for  a  while.  This  could  be  an indication that cyberbullying within World of Tanks is a learned behaviour from other more experienced players“, researchers claim.

This seems to support some of the ideas  in  other  research  which  suggests  that  cyberbullying spreads  through  communities  in  a  similar  manner  to  an epidemic.

Their work is published under the title: "Machine learning and semantic analysis of in-game chat for cyberbullying“'

The actual study: https://www.research...r_cyberbullying

While the study was done in WoT PC, I thought the results could be reasonably applied to Blitz.

What do you think of these findings? Do you agree with the researchers possible chat adjustments (temporarily muting a player after death)?

EL_Din_46 #2 Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4709 battles

Very interesting. 

It does put some of the responsibility back onto the player base. If it’s learned behavior then the examples we set and the standards we advocate do make a difference.

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

IronBehemoth #3 Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8280 battles
  • [COTB]

yea, wrong. 

cyberbullying in the game is the product of players with 40k battles not caring enough to get better. its infuriating when people suck and refuse to fix their mistakes. ofc the majority happens after death. not like youre going to be flaming the idiot who yolod while youre still alive and trying to carry a 1v3.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 21 October 2019 - 07:58 PM.

wrecker1968 #4 Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 44968 battles
  • [HOUSE]
^^^^^^^Obviously one of those cyber bullies.

_Cletus #5 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24889 battles
  • [HAHA]
If you could not chat after you died, 99% of toxic chat would go away.  But the toxicity is half the fun, it gives me someone to mess with without feeling guilty about it.

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

wrecker1968 #6 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 44968 battles
  • [HOUSE]
:D

wrecker1968 #7 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 44968 battles
  • [HOUSE]
15 seconds after you die should be enough Time to get your point across. And then shut it down.

Kiwi_Kebab #8 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1440 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Postwrecker1968, on 21 October 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

:D

Happy 1000th post!

View Post_Cletus, on 21 October 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

If you could not chat after you died, 99% of toxic chat would go away.  But the toxicity is half the fun, it gives me someone to mess with without feeling guilty about it.

They tried banning chat completely after death and it was not well received.

IronBehemoth #9 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8280 battles
  • [COTB]

View Postwrecker1968, on 21 October 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

^^^^^^^Obviously one of those cyber bullies.

obviously one of the 40%ers with no drive to improve

Kiwi_Kebab #10 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1440 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 21 October 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

obviously one of the 40%ers with no drive to improve

Maybe you would be more fulfilled playing tournaments with more skilled players. People will have different philosophies, but I personally do not think there is ever a correct time to verbally abuse players over there ability to play. It achieves nothing other than allowing self-indulgent rage to flow at the expense of another human being. 

BatchatBegins #11 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Baguette Inspector

• Players
  • 29585 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 21 October 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

https://newest-websi...world-of-tanks/

Below is an article from NewestWebsites.com:

'Researchers Dr. Shane Murnion, Prof. William J Buchanan, Adrian Smales, and Dr. Gordon Russell used custom-built web crawler/web spider to collect large chunk of data regarding in-game chat from WOT matches and after analyzing the data, they concluded that  63%  of  all cyberbullying messages occurred after the player’s death in the game.

In their research, academics offered  solution to fight toxic behaviour

"If players are prevented from engaging in in-game chat for a short duration after their death it is quite feasible that in game toxic chat would be drastically reduced“, concluded the researchers.

One more interesting result from the research was that new player do not exhibit toxic behaviour.

"Cyberbullying  seems to  turn up  after the players  have  been  playing  for  a  while.  This  could  be  an indication that cyberbullying within World of Tanks is a learned behaviour from other more experienced players“, researchers claim.

This seems to support some of the ideas  in  other  research  which  suggests  that  cyberbullying spreads  through  communities  in  a  similar  manner  to  an epidemic.

Their work is published under the title: "Machine learning and semantic analysis of in-game chat for cyberbullying“'

The actual study: https://www.research...r_cyberbullying

While the study was done in WoT PC, I thought the results could be reasonably applied to Blitz.

What do you think of these findings? Do you agree with the researchers possible chat adjustments (temporarily muting a player after death)?

Imagine not being able to tolerate someone's words so much that you need to silence them. Prime example of Thought-Policing at work.

http://www.youtube.com/BatchatBegins

wsIZn8P.jpg

Join my discord! discord.gg/WpVWzvH

originalmadkilla #12 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16030 battles
  • [OMK]
I have implemented various zero tolerance measures against any and all toxic chat messages during matches, coming from teammates. I don't care what any enemy has to say. I find that it works rather well.:justwait:

Kiwi_Kebab #13 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1440 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostBatchatBegins, on 21 October 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Imagine not being able to tolerate someone's words so much that you need to silence them. Prime example of Thought-Policing at work.

See "Hate Speech". There are things I can say to others that would get me arrested. 

IronBehemoth #14 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8280 battles
  • [COTB]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 21 October 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

See "Hate Speech". There are things I can say to others that would get me arrested. 

If hate speech were so loosely defined, then that is basically suppression of speech and a violation of the first amendment. You have to do far worse than call someone a moron for it to be so.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 21 October 2019 - 08:20 PM.

BatchatBegins #15 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Baguette Inspector

• Players
  • 29585 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 21 October 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Another great example of why the term "Hate Speech" is an egregious infringement on the right to free speech. Just because someone says something doesn't mean someone else should get to stifle them. I've said this for years, but people need to get a thicker skin. "You hurt my feelings" is not a legitimate response to criticism.

Edited by BatchatBegins, 21 October 2019 - 08:21 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/BatchatBegins

wsIZn8P.jpg

Join my discord! discord.gg/WpVWzvH

IronBehemoth #16 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8280 battles
  • [COTB]

View PostBatchatBegins, on 21 October 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Another great example of why the term "Hate Speech" is an egregious infringement on the right to free speech. Just because someone says something doesn't mean someone else should get to stifle them. I've said this for years, but people need to get a thicker skin. "You hurt my feelings" is not a legitimate response to criticism.

I think part of the reason suicide rates now are higher than ever is because we're now raised to be fragile and entitled, and view everything as an terrible affront to our entire being.

People can no longer cope with being insulted. Like, really, so what? Someone insulted you over a videogame? Stop being a little b1tch and maybe learn from it instead of crying to the monitor.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 21 October 2019 - 08:27 PM.

EL_Din_46 #17 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4709 battles

View PostBatchatBegins, on 21 October 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Thought-policing is limiting ideas, and cyber-bullying involves few if any ideas. Prime examples of community standards and laws for verbal behavior includes those for churches, funerals and crowded theaters. While you have free speech that freedom ends when it hits the noses of the people around you. You simply do not have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater or disrupt someone else’s battle.

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

IronBehemoth #18 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8280 battles
  • [COTB]

View PostEL_Din_46, on 21 October 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

Thought-policing is limiting ideas, and cyber-bullying involves few if any ideas. Prime examples of community standards and laws for verbal behavior includes those for churches, funerals and crowded theaters. While you have free speech that freedom ends when it hits the noses of the people around you. You simply do not have the right to yell fire in a crowded theater or disrupt someone else’s battle.

View PostIronBehemoth, on 21 October 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

If hate speech were so loosely defined, then that is basically suppression of speech and a violation of the first amendment. You have to do far worse than call someone a moron for it to be so.

Theres a difference between yelling fire in a theater and calling someone online a noob.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 21 October 2019 - 08:28 PM.

Kiwi_Kebab #19 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1440 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 21 October 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

I think part of the reason suicide rates now are higher than ever is because we're now raised to be fragile and entitled, and view everything as an terrible affront to our entire being.

People can no longer cope with being insulted. Like, really, so what? Someone insulted you over a videogame? Stop being a little b1tch and maybe learn from it instead of crying to the monitor.

There's a way to criticize without being a jerk, of course. 

_Cletus #20 Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 24889 battles
  • [HAHA]

Wow guys, what about generally being nice to people?  It works well, I promise.

I sure do like free speech.  But that doesn't mean that people should just say what they want with no regards to consequence.  There are a number of things that if said to my face will earn the speaker a punch to the face, or throat, or face and throat.  And everybody respects that.  It has been many years since I've had to resort to punching anyone in the face or the throat because people generally understand the limits on what should be said to a man in public.  But put you guys in a video game and there's no rules because you don't have to worry about Cletus punching you in the face and throat area.  Let's just consider for a moment that maybe the game could be generally more pleasant without keyboard warriors saying stuff that they would never say to anybody in real life.  And if you find yourself saying something online that you wouldn't say in real life, just think about the fact that Cletus thinks you're a [edited].

https://www.blitzstars.com/api/sigs/com/1019725659.png   Avatar and sig by crpl_hicks

sFkBFSc.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users