Path to Purple

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Absolute_Sniper #1 Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

Alright gents, I have hit another plateau so to speak with my gameplay. Been hovering around 60% for several months and I feel like I’ve improved as much as I can on my own. How can I get from here https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Absolute_Sniper

to purple and unicum status. I know that several of you have vastly more skills and tactical ability than me but I am open to taking advice from anyone. 

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

Morphman11 #2 Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
  • [2WEAK]
Spot more.

alphablob #3 Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31346 battles
  • [MOM]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 15 November 2019 - 10:12 PM, said:

Alright gents, I have hit another plateau so to speak with my gameplay. Been hovering around 60% for several months and I feel like I’ve improved as much as I can on my own. How can I get from here https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Absolute_Sniper

to purple and unicum status. I know that several of you have vastly more skills and tactical ability than me but I am open to taking advice from anyone. 

What do you think it is that you're lacking? You know your play better than anyone.

Camo net is for cowards.

Morphman11 #4 Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
  • [2WEAK]
Spoiler

Everyone camps so spotting above 1,6 gives boost which is counted in towards wn8 and wn7.

Absolute_Sniper #5 Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View Postalphablob, on 15 November 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

What do you think it is that you're lacking? You know your play better than anyone.

That’s just the thing. I can’t quite figure it out. Probably getting my damage and spot rate up but when I try to focus on those two things I usually over extend and get rekt. It’s why I’m asking for help

Absolute_Sniper #6 Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostMorphman11, on 15 November 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Everyone camps so spotting above 1,6 gives boost which is counted in towards wn8 and wn7.

Any tips on how to do that without over extending?

acrisis #7 Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20542 battles
  • [III]

Unlocking purple and dark purple hinges on high damage, very good spotting, high survival and ultimately one desires a high win-rate as well. 

Not many people have the keys to unlock that combination. Hopefully some of them will chime in.

One thing I can advise NOT to do is playing other games and neglecting practicing wotb battles. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Absolute_Sniper #8 Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View Postacrisis, on 15 November 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

Unlocking purple and dark purple hinges on high damage, very good spotting, high survival and ultimately one desires a high win-rate as well. 

Not many people have the keys to unlock that combination. Hopefully some of them will chime in.

One thing I can advise NOT to do is playing other games and neglecting practicing wotb battles. 

I’m hopeful they will as well

__The_Dude_30__ #9 Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 21837 battles
  • [CRU2L]

Our stats are really similar:

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Absolute_Sniper

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/__The_Dude_30__

I think the big thing for both you and me is to survive more and just work on dealing more damage while taking less in return. Doing this brings up the DR, which is kind of low for both of us. It increases average damage, which is also kind of low for both of us. It'll allow you to survive longer, and our survival rates of both a little low. Also, surviving more also allows more damage to be dealt, which will increase average damage even more. I think for most people, the key to improving is taking less damage while dealing more.

Important clarification: I am NOT one of those people that has vastly more skill than you. I only have a little more :P

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

BAR_001 #10 Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 27487 battles
  • [HAHA]
You guys are amazing. Nice work! I would like to see Positive chime in. I think he is exceptional at analyzing game play.

Ronin_23 #11 Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:28 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17153 battles
  • [-RGN-]

One big factor in WN8 is actually the tanks you play. You'll notice it's very easy to get higher WN8 scores by doing well in, say, a Leo PTA compared to the Standard B which is the strongest tier 9 right now. Because of that tank's abilities, everyone is playing it right now and everyone is doing really well. That means you'll have to do amazing to pad WN8 in it. You're unicum in that so it's not a huge issue but that theory can be applied to any tank you've played that's considered OP or strong.

Also, the thing that stands out to me right now is your survival rate. I just recently got mine around 50 and that helps you win more nad do more damage.

Other than that the biggest key is simply damage. Your damage per tier is 226 now. The higher you get that, the more purple you'll be. Do the math and see what your damage target should be in any given game. 250xtier is a good move up from where you are now. Lots of people use 300xtier.

__The_Dude_30__ #12 Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:40 AM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 21837 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostRonin_23, on 15 November 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

One big factor in WN8 is actually the tanks you play. You'll notice it's very easy to get higher WN8 scores by doing well in, say, a Leo PTA compared to the Standard B which is the strongest tier 9 right now. Because of that tank's abilities, everyone is playing it right now and everyone is doing really well. That means you'll have to do amazing to pad WN8 in it. You're unicum in that so it's not a huge issue but that theory can be applied to any tank you've played that's considered OP or strong.

Also, the thing that stands out to me right now is your survival rate. I just recently got mine around 50 and that helps you win more nad do more damage.

Other than that the biggest key is simply damage. Your damage per tier is 226 now. The higher you get that, the more purple you'll be. Do the math and see what your damage target should be in any given game. 250xtier is a good move up from where you are now. Lots of people use 300xtier.

300 x tier? Well f*ck me I guess. I was just starting to do OK with 250 x tier :arta:

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

Ronin_23 #13 Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17153 battles
  • [-RGN-]

View Post__The_Dude_30__, on 16 November 2019 - 12:40 AM, said:

300 x tier? Well f*ck me I guess. I was just starting to do OK with 250 x tier :arta:

300 is a goal. I'm at like 260ish. I aim for 3k at tier X and scale that down. It's a goal, and can be hard to achieve with consistency. The point of the goal is to drive you to do more though.

Count your shots. Once you reach a good damage quota, then be more aggressive and risky.

Edited by Ronin_23, 16 November 2019 - 12:51 AM.

nicog45 #14 Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16808 battles
  • [-JJ]
Are you trying to improve WN8, damage, or winrate?

Interested in joining CRUEL/CRU2l? Apply on our Discord! https://discord.gg/4PEJ9zy

Absolute_Sniper #15 Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 38212 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View Postnicog45, on 16 November 2019 - 01:01 AM, said:

Are you trying to improve WN8, damage, or winrate?

Yes

nicog45 #16 Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:22 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16808 battles
  • [-JJ]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 15 November 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yes

Damage: Play more passive, don’t trade HP

WN8: play tanks that not as many unicums play and get more spots

WR: Focus on clearing guns, prioritizing targets, and especially positioning. Try to think more about the macro.

Interested in joining CRUEL/CRU2l? Apply on our Discord! https://discord.gg/4PEJ9zy

__The_Dude_30__ #17 Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 21837 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 15 November 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yes

You literally just played out one of the most legendary memes of all time. Nice

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

alphablob #18 Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:11 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31346 battles
  • [MOM]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 15 November 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

That’s just the thing. I can’t quite figure it out. Probably getting my damage and spot rate up but when I try to focus on those two things I usually over extend and get rekt. It’s why I’m asking for help

I have very similar stats to yours and I'm asking myself the same basic question. I think there are lot of distinct components that factor into your overall skill level. Some of these are more minor and isolated, such as playing in a certain tank or against a certain tank, or in a specific situation, and some are more global like reflexes, awareness, and consistency. Also some of your shortcomings might not be apparent to you at all without learning from a better player (coaching or watching). That's a big deal, because if there were very very few players with stats better than yours, you would probably be pretty much happy with your level of play.

Knowledge of maps, tank characteristics, and finer points of game mechanics and rules

Do you know how to pen an IS-7 or IS-4 in a facehug? What weak spots of a given tank can you pen with HE?

Do you know the finer points unique tank types such autoloaders, reloaders, tanks with recently added consumables, etc.

Do you uses consumable at appropriate times?

How many shots can you make in a given tank before a given red tank reloads?

This is knowledge that you bring with yourself into battle, and helps you make correct decisions quickly. For example, I was watching a ufpnjh stream recently and saw him penning an IS-4 into the sides at a very oblique angle. I checked blitzhangar and noticed there's a strip of 30 mm armor where the side plates meet the bottom of the hull. 

Driving and shooting skill

Can you make quick accurate shots when an opportunity presents itself? Are your poke shots effective with minimal return fire? Can you hit track shots when brawling? Do you switch ammo types quickly and correctly?

Do you angle and juke to maximize enemy bounces and misses? How good are you at 1v1s?

Tactical knowledge and decision-making

How good are your early game reads and and initial positions? Do you do a good job spotting and getting a free shot on red tanks still leaving their spawn?

Do you have a good sense of spotting ranges and when you're about to get spotted?

How's your target selection? Do you prioritize low hp and valuable tanks (mediums and tds over heavies)?

Do you make smart pokes (when red tanks are on reload, aren't looking, are moving)?

Do you select good positions for your tank type and team setup? Do you make quick and accurate decisions to rotate, run away, push, etc?

How aware are you of enemy and friendly positions throughout battle? Do you make good minimap reads such as when your friendly's abandon your flank o red tanks are flanking through your spawn? Do you remember where that big, bad enemy tds was when it was last spotted two minutes ago? Are you able to keep track of tanks when the battle is all around you? (This is something I find quite challenging)

Are you good at clutch situations?

That's about all I can think of right now. As far as my own play, here's where I think I can improve:

- I'm pretty bad at reading the minimap. I think this is highly challenging layer of the game and requires not only experience and skill but also raw cognitive processing. I often spend large portions of the battle not looking at the minimap at all, and sometimes have trouble orienting myself. I need to both be more mindful and remember to check the minimap, and I also could stand to get better at processing the info when I watch it.

- I notice that the unicums read lineups before battle and seem to memorize them pretty easily. That's something that I'm sometimes too lazy to do, and also often forget the lineups.

- Tactical decisions are probably where I can stand to improve the most. Reading potential opportunities to put in damage, executing pushes — basically all the stuff that happens when things get hot and heavy mid game. 

- Discipline and consistency. Quit the game when I'm playing compulsively or when my concentration drops.

On a practical level, aside from focusing on some of these areas while playing and watching great players on Youtube, it could also to rewatch my own replays and also maybe to start playing tournaments (where focus on coordination and battle awareness is emphasized). That said, I don't think I'm inclined to invest time and energy into tourneys and training.

Camo net is for cowards.

Dark_Magician_Girl #19 Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:29 AM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 38334 battles
  • [_STR8]

Just remember love, 

The deeper the purple, the darker the soul.

STAR1 NA top 10 all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 most winning all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 highest career WN8 all-time ranked player - #1 ranked driver E75 STAR1 - Blitzstars 48 different vehicles with top 10 all-time NA WN8 - 35+ unique career 3000+ damage averages at high tiers - Captain of 3 top 8 NA tournament appearances - Content creator of map meta defining Blitz YT content - 1 of 3 Bushka masterclass candidates.

I am, the Dark Magician Girl

SullBhit #20 Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:51 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30499 battles
  • [CLEAR]

Snipey.  You’re an absolute thorn in my side when you’re on red.  I think you and I are in the same boat... can’t quite figure out that 2k+ avg damage at tier 8.  That 2.5k+ avg damage at tier 9.  And that 3k+ avg damage at tier 10.  That’s about what it takes to really succeed.

Im working on not overthinking it and being more patient.  You have all the ‘skills’.  I’ve seen you use them.  I think all us good but not great player problems can be boiled down to MORE patience and better positioning.  I’m often guilty of getting to those great power spots early, getting the early licks, and overstaying my welcome.  I’ll let you know how it goes.  If you figure something out, return the favor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users