Rating Ranking Tank Rating System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

CK_GoldenNuggets #1 Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 30223 battles
  • [R1SEN]

Hope everyones enjoying the Black Friday event so far.
Other than the Black Crates, I'm pretty happy with the result so far...

Down to the matter at hand though.
I am coming up with (or attempting to) develop a Tank Rating System.
This would be a system where you could compare any tank you want, by using its stats vs the average same tier and type tank.
So for example, if the Pershing has 10 degrees of gun dep and the average GD for tier 8 meds is 7 for example, then the Pershing would be +3 overall
Then you would compare its DPM to that of the average, then its alpha, then its speed, and so on... Eventually after calculating all the +/- effects of its stats vs the Average, you would have a final value.
Finally you could compare its overall value to that of every other tank once their estimates have been completed... and you could determine which tanks are better overall (on average) for carrying.
Now obviously I'm not trying to start controversy over, "My tank is better than yours" type arguments but humor me for Statistical Analysis and Learning purposes.

My main issues here are that:

1.) Armour cant be quantified properly because I only have the raw number values. So comparing the kv4's 180mm of armour would make it seem much better than the is3's "130 ish".
However we all know due to the good angles of the is3 you can pull off some miracle bounces while the flat 180 of the kv4 is often penetrated a lot more.
My issue here is that if I rate armour overall less value-able in my analysis, Heavy tanks will suffer and seem much worse overall.
But if I over factor it in, wierd stuff will happen like the t32 "appearing" to be the best heavy due to its near 300mm of turret armour.
So please help me out with some brain storming.

2.) My other main issue is whether certain criteria is more valuable than other criteria. 
So far my analysis is just +/- "X" number of points if you are better or worse than the average.
But should I award more or less points for certain categories?
Is having 300 more dpm than the average worth +3, just like having 3 extra degrees of gun also +3?
I have no clue, so I want to get an idea of how you guys would rank these criteria and what % you would give them overall.

Here is my criteria:
DPM
Pen
Alpha
Shell Velocity
Aim time
Accuracy
Gun Dep
Top Speed
Power to Weight Ratio
Camo (S,M,SS,SM)
View Range
HP
Hull Armour (Raw Value on Front only)
Turret Armour (Raw Value on Front only)

As you can see, theres a lot of missing categories, dozens of factors that also contribute to how a tank plays and this system would in no way "Prove" what tanks are better than others.
I just want to use this for learning purposes so I can get an idea of how accurate stats can predict the "Carry-ability" of tanks in game.
Please hit me with your best ideas and thanks in advance. - CK

"Level of Unicums" - Zennosha:

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

__Frostbite #2 Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 26912 battles
  • [_STR8]

We could solve the armor issue pretty easily if there was a way to count average damage blocked per match. I know it shows it in Ribbons and the replay counter, but unfortunately, that's something that we'd have to plug in manually. 

I like the idea of -/+ used to determine if a certain tank is doing better than the average. However, there are things like penetration where there could be a 30 point difference and not have it a huge deal, but 3 point difference in gun depression is definitely important.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CK_GoldenNuggets #3 Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 30223 battles
  • [R1SEN]

View Post__Frostbite, on 22 November 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

We could solve the armor issue pretty easily if there was a way to count average damage blocked per match. I know it shows it in Ribbons and the replay counter, but unfortunately, that's something that we'd have to plug in manually. 

I like the idea of -/+ used to determine if a certain tank is doing better than the average. However, there are things like penetration where there could be a 30 point difference and not have it a huge deal, but 3 point difference in gun depression is definitely important.

Ya I doubt the damaged blocked route is possible for me. 
I could Just calculate the effective armor of all the front turret and hulls after figuring out their respective angles

But that would be a boat tone of work because Blitz stars doesnt state the angles, I would have to use armor inspector and guess them all.

As far as the pen vs dpm or gun dep or something like that... I assume we can use percents to make it fair like wn7/wn8, I just dont know how.
Ex: GD = 100% ratio so if you are +4 over the average its worth +4 points, where as Pen has a =10% ratio so having 50 pen over the average is worth +5 points
DPM has a =1% value so having 100 dpm more than the average is worth 1 point, etc... I dont know if those are good % examples, but thats what I had in mind.

Edited by CK_GoldenNuggets, 22 November 2019 - 07:46 PM.

"Level of Unicums" - Zennosha:

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users