Final Thoughts on the 2019-2020 Christmas Event

2019 2020 Event New Years Adventure

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

__Frostbite #1 Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 29687 battles

...New Year's Adventure, Blitz UnFair, whatever you want to call it. Here are my good, neutral, and bad catergories, and then I'll break down the individual stuff. This is gonna be a long read, folks.

Pros 

-Tabletop Adventure mode

-Daily bonus codes

-Free Christmas gift

-Pz 5/4 for free for a very easy grind for anyone

-GOLD BOXES!!!

Neutral

-Auction

-Snow Globe rewards

-Chieftain Mk 6 sale

-Camos and boosters sale

-Clementines being available in missions

Bad

-Set up of Holiday Shop event path

-Clementine, free xp, and gold crate rewards

-Gambling for Snowflakes and Snow Globes

-VK 90.01 P and especially the Blade camo price

-Price increase of Clementine chests

by no means is this list extensive, I've probably left a few things off

Let's start with the positives first. 

The tabletop adventure was great. True, it was a little gimmicky and the rewards didn't seem that much at first, but it was essentially free stuff if you logged in every day. You could grab a total of 168 Clemetines and a crap ton of credits, boosters, free xp, and free xp certificates, in addition with small bits of gold sprinkled in as well. The refuel cost of 200 gold was actually reasonable, and the little pop-up offers to spend some fuel, gold, or credits was also reasonable and optional as well. Overall, WG did great with this mini-game, I hope we see it again next year. Being able to do this for like 2-3 weeks made the rewards pretty large over the long run, even if it didn't look like much. There were no problems for NA, but EU did have their adventure mode turned off for a few days due to technical issues, but apparently they also received compensation for it. 

The daily codes were also pretty nice. If you were able to redeem all of them, you were able to earn 50,000 credits, 

5 Rare Crew XP Boosters, 5 Rare Combat XP Boosters, 5 Rare Free XP Boosters, 5 Rare Credit Boosters, 5,000 Free XP, 4 days of premium account, 15 Epic Combat XP Boosters, 15 Epic Free XP Boosters, 15 Epic Crew XP Boosters, 5 Epic Credit Boosters, a Starlight camo for a Tier 7, and a permanent Snowman avatar. Not bad for literally just copying and pasting some codes into a browser. However, there were limits on how many times a code could be used and often they would become invalid a few hours after being released. Also, they were only given out on WoT Blitz's Instagram account, so if you were relying on other sources and they were late, you may have been out of luck. 

The yearly free premium tank this year was the BT-SV, which is not terrible. The best part about it was the 1000 gold you got from selling the tank, which was great. In addition, we also got 200k credits and some premium time. 

The best part about this event, by far, was the gold boxes that made an appearance again. For 20 dollars, you could buy 20,000 gold once; 10 dollars for 8,500 gold twice, and 2 dollars for 1,500 gold five times. In total, you could buy up to a total of 44,500 gold for 50 dollars, which was awesome. This was enough for me to get the Chieftain Mk. 6, leKpz M41 90mm, and the WZ-112-2 and still have a crap ton of gold left. It took about a week and a half to grind for me, and although it was annoying that it doesn't count XP anymore, just victories, the same concept was still there. This is essentially the best sale on gold for the whole year so you can spend a little or a lot of it during the event and still have some gold to cover you for the rest of the year, or maybe just a few months. All depends on you. 

Basically for all of this (exception of course, the gold boxes which were still a good deal), it's free stuff with little to no effort required to get it. I don't bite the hand that feeds me, and to be fair, there was a good deal of free stuff this year. However...what people want is the tanks, not the boosters and other handouts. And that's where this event started to go south.

I'm calling this section the "Neutral" because it was either acceptable, or both good and bad. Here we go.

If you've been around for a while, you're probably used to the Auction. It operated the same this year as the past years. Just to recap, the tanks offered were the leKpz M41, Tankenstein, Lorraine 50t, WZ-112-2, and Obj 252(U); the Dracula, Helsing, Gravedigger, AMX 30B, and Fury; and the Vindicator, Predator, IS-3 Defender, T28 Defender, and the M60. The prices were...alright for most tanks. I personally managed to pick up the leKpz and 112-2 for 7600 gold each (or something like that) which were pretty nice. The Lorraine and Tankenstein also got sold for decent prices at 7000 or something. The T28 Defender, IS-3 Defender, and Obj 252U went for acceptable prices as well (each sold out) as well as the Drac, Helsing, and Gravedigger which also sold out but the price was pretty high. The Tier 10's sold went for 17k gold in the end, which was the lowest price we've seen for Tier 10's. However, don't even get me started on the Fury, which started 30k gold and went for 15k at the end. Freaking crazy. Anyways, not having to gamble for exclusive tanks is always pretty nice, but I'm sure people were disappointed that there was no WZ-120-1 FT, Smasher, AMX 30 1er, T-22, or VK 90. Personally I thought it was pretty good overall, but there was enough mixed reactions for me to include it here. 

Ok, the Snow Globe. They released the drop rates, and the tank selection was pretty good besides the Tankenstein. Personally, I felt that as long as you didn't gamble for Snow Globes, being able to open one was pretty nice. I'll get into the scarcity later, don't worry. Yes, lots of people were upset about getting the gold or free xp, but there was roughly a 70% chance to get a tank, and around a 50% chance to get a really good tank. There was also a 10% chance to get a Tier 10, which was pretty low considering how difficult these things were to get. 

Chieftain Mk 6 with camo and 9 equipment slots for 20k gold was actually pretty nice, but I had to include it here because of my conflictions of WG selling Tier 10 tanks. I really like mine and I didn't hesitate about buying it, but I'm a little peeved knowing that there's people out there running around with Tier 10 money tanks with absolutely no clue how to play it. 

Camos for Tier 8 and 10 tanks along with boosters aren't exactly the most exciting sale, and they provide little value. Meh.

The initial backlash of the event path when people realized how useless Clementines are, how difficult they were to earn in the first place, and just everything in general was so fierce that WG quickly realized they should do something about. So around halfway through the event, WG gave us the chance to earn extra Clementines by doing missions, which was a somewhat helpful addition for some. It was nice to have WG at least think rather than sit and laugh at us, but I don't believe they did enough here. 

Yes, now we're getting to the part you've been waiting for...

Personally, apparently unlike lots of people I talked to during this event, I was not surprised about the quality of this event, and had very low expectations from the start. So I didn't feel as outraged when WG debuted this year's Blitz Fair with a new Tier 10 tank that completely outclasses the Maus in basically every way, and requires several hundred dollars to have a good chance at unlocking. And that it would cost in the thousands of dollars to get the useless camouflage and avatar for. I've been repeating for literal years now the laws of supply and demand and that everything will eventually be sold for more fair prices as it's offered again and again, but that didn't stop people from going all out on a stupidly overpriced event yet again. 

The stages were pretty dumb. Besides the Snow Globes, the other rewards in the Stages were essentially useless. 1000 gold for Stage 9? Gimme a break. It basically set paywalls where if you grinded super hard and got somewhat lucky, you may be able to get one free Snow Globe. To get to the next Snow Globe would require anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks, and to get to Stage 14 for the VK cost most people around 500 to 700 dollars. You can buy a laptop with that amount of money, and to fathom spending that much on a mobile game in one sitting is incredible. I've probably spent around 250-300 dollars on this game after 3 and a half years of playing total, and my account is pretty stacked at this point where I don't need much else.

As usual, free to play players get stuffed at the end of the calendar year when WG needs to make their annual income goals. Clementine chests may be enough to get you to the Pz. V/IV, which is an okay tank at Tier V. To get any tanks above that, you needed to open your wallet or get lucky. The Clementine chests proved this well, as their price went up steadily as you bought them. They started at 10 Clementines, and capped out at a whooping 700 per box. In addition, they got you pretty much nowhere. If you really wanted a chance at the VK, you needed to spend gold, and lots of it. I'm not saying there should have been a grind option to get all the way to the VK, but at least to get to the second Snow Globe. The Clementine boxes, in my opinion, should have risen in price by 10 continuously the whole way, or just been sold for 50 a pop.

That pretty much wraps it up. Overall, it was an meh-acceptable event if you knew what you were doing, stayed mostly away the gambling, waited until tanks were about to sell out or dropped to their final price, got all the gold boxes if you were planning on using gold during the event, grabbed all of your free stuff, and most importantly, didn't go for the main prize. Take what you can get and don't throw a fit. 

Thanks,

Frost

Edited by __Frostbite, 25 February 2020 - 04:35 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vantablack12 #2 Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

Professional Idiot

• Players
  • 15689 battles
  • [K9]
I didn't have to read the entire thing to know that I agree with you.

Edited by Vantablack12, 09 January 2020 - 05:58 PM.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Ookla_the_Mok #3 Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28784 battles
  • [BRSKT]

Spitballing about the perspective that players need to keep in mind when evaluating events:

Gold has been significantly devalued. Ads for gold, small portions of gold here and there as rewards, etc. The days when gold was only available for cash are long gone. The result is events are designed to burn up gold in conjunction with a massive grind. Like it or not, the goal posts have been moved. Personally, this is fine by me as tier 7-10 premium tanks should not be free.

The gambling/crates mechanic is here to stay. I understand the frustration and mostly agree with how it can prey on the stupid or those that failed math. However, the mechanic does what it is supposed to do - get the whales to spend without flooding the game with certain tanks. Games like this rely on a small group of spenders and maximizing that cash flow is critical if you want to be able to play with nominal spending for what is ultimately a reliable and mostly enjoyable game all these years later (save for the current meta and poor play which is a can of worms).

There are too many currencies and items in the game. Boosters, certificates, avatars, and a dozen other things. At least this event tossed piles of these items at you as you played. Combine that with the ability to use the XP multiplier on a tank multiple times and WG quietly gave a significant benefit to players in the background of the main event.

Don't forget the free Pz 5/4 in the event. Sure, most players already had it, but for those that did not they got a tank that remains fun to play. This is the type of tank I believe should be given away - mid-tier premium that is not OP nor crap. There was a time when this type of tank would be a much bigger deal as a freebie.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

Kiwi_Kebab #4 Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6690 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

Your post is detailed, fair, and well-written. I think the event was positive overall, given a complete acceptance of the impossibility of receiving the end prize for free. My main gripe is with putting stage progression items in chests instead of having them be pumped out consistently through battling. 

That said, I got loads of stuff for free and I bought an M60 for around $17. 

cheesehead247365 #5 Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14746 battles
  • [TYCHE]
Also agree. I think the gold boxes were the best part.  Edit, I did NOT get a snow globe.  I bought my gold boxes, got the chieftain, and lots of prem time and credits.  

Edited by cheesehead247365, 09 January 2020 - 06:48 PM.

_Crusader6_ #6 Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Angry Mod

• Players
  • 68786 battles
  • [DEF]

17 SnowGlobes - no VK...

I was 325 snowflakes from the tank - and decided that given the Gold chest drop rate I had was 14.6 snowflakes / chest that I had zero interest in dumping more money at it.   

I feel like I need to turn my Platinum Wallet Warrior Card in ;)  

Tank Hoarder: 415 tanks in Garage:  423/423 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

dport02 #7 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33765 battles
  • [-FE4R]
I liked the event a lot, for me, positives out way negatives. I’m fine with first snow globe being hard to get, and even needing to spend $$ for it. You can get insane deals in gold boxes. Bonus codes, and table top adventure  was fun. If you wanted the Vk 90, just wait awhile and it’ll come in shop. The thing I was disappointed about was auction. 3rd round auction was a bummer, but first round was good
RNG is rigged !

__Frostbite #8 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 29687 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 09 January 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

Spitballing about the perspective that players need to keep in mind when evaluating events:

Gold has been significantly devalued. Ads for gold, small portions of gold here and there as rewards, etc. The days when gold was only available for cash are long gone. The result is events are designed to burn up gold in conjunction with a massive grind. Like it or not, the goal posts have been moved. Personally, this is fine by me as tier 7-10 premium tanks should not be free.

The gambling/crates mechanic is here to stay. I understand the frustration and mostly agree with how it can prey on the stupid or those that failed math. However, the mechanic does what it is supposed to do - get the whales to spend without flooding the game with certain tanks. Games like this rely on a small group of spenders and maximizing that cash flow is critical if you want to be able to play with nominal spending for what is ultimately a reliable and mostly enjoyable game all these years later (save for the current meta and poor play which is a can of worms).

There are too many currencies and items in the game. Boosters, certificates, avatars, and a dozen other things. At least this event tossed piles of these items at you as you played. Combine that with the ability to use the XP multiplier on a tank multiple times and WG quietly gave a significant benefit to players in the background of the main event.

Don't forget the free Pz 5/4 in the event. Sure, most players already had it, but for those that did not they got a tank that remains fun to play. This is the type of tank I believe should be given away - mid-tier premium that is not OP nor crap. There was a time when this type of tank would be a much bigger deal as a freebie.

for whatever reason, I left out the Pz. 5/4. I'll include it in right now.

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

dport02 #9 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33765 battles
  • [-FE4R]
Also, I kinda hate this, they sold Kpz for $15, so now there’s at least 1 in eve try match, and %50 chance they have no idea what they’re doing
RNG is rigged !

cheesehead247365 #10 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14746 battles
  • [TYCHE]

View Postdport02, on 09 January 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

positives out way negatives

Don't go to college English classes with this peeps.  outweigh 

cheasesteak #11 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 23013 battles
  • [COD-R]
Overall the event mechanics left a lot to be desired, but the free (non tanks stuff) was pretty good, the multiple 2x XP was great for grinding bad tanks, and the cheap gold plus auction let me get 2 of the tanks I have had my eye on (Helsing and Lorraine) for 22500 gold.  The gold cost me about $15 total between the gold from the event, from ads, and what I bought cheap.  This time of year is generally the only time I spend on the game, and I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Edited by cheasesteak, 09 January 2020 - 07:48 PM.

_Cletus #12 Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 31343 battles
  • [III-C]
I got a lot of free stuff, I'm cool with it.  The holiday shop has generated a lot of frustration though.  I'm glad it's over.

If a person feels powerless or insignificant in their life, the easiest way to achieve power is to make other people angry; every internet troll has known this since 1993 and every toddler has known it since the dawn of time.

dport02 #13 Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33765 battles
  • [-FE4R]

View Postcheesehead247365, on 09 January 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

Don't go to college English classes with this peeps.  outweigh 

Hehe still in high school 

outweighs*

RNG is rigged !

cheesehead247365 #14 Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14746 battles
  • [TYCHE]

View Postdport02, on 09 January 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

Hehe still in high school 

outweighs*

just trying to save you from a future dirty look from a snobby professor 

RommelTanker #15 Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

He who is supremely annoying

• Players
  • 7872 battles
  • [ACTS2]

I had a discussion with RibbleStripe on Discord regarding the clementine boxes and the drop rates.

He said that Wargaming was aware that the drop rates of snowflakes from the clementine boxes presented a chance for players to not even progress past stage 5, and that earning anything past Stage 7 absolutely required payment. They had originally created the clementine system without mission clementines but quickly realized that this was "too strict" of a requirement and added mission clementines as well.

Ribble said that despite what we may see here, Wargaming has collected concerns, comments, and complaints incurred by this event and promises that the next event will be improved compared to this one. The rumors on Discord regarding Lunar New Year's are just that, rumors. So while I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, if some of them are true, you all might want to start saving up on credits. 

Something something insert joke here

cheesehead247365 #16 Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14746 battles
  • [TYCHE]

View PostRommelTanker, on 09 January 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

He said that Wargaming was aware that the drop rates of snowflakes from the clementine boxes presented a chance for players to not even progress past stage 5, 

Yep, that was me. 

__The_Dude_30__ #17 Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

acrisis’s assistant

• Players
  • 24982 battles
By far the best was the gold boxes. How can you beat 20k gold for $20? I bought 28.5k gold this week, which is the most I've bought at a single time, ever. The mini game was also a nice touch. I stopped playing after I found the 21 chests, but I probably shouldn't have because I could've gotten a lot more goodies. But the mini game definitely helped me get to the first snow globe. I have to say that I think WG had good intentions with adding clementines to missions, but it just wasn't enough. The rate at which I earned clementines increased a lot when it happened, but it still wasn't enough. Especially when crate costs hit the 200s, and the fact that they almost always dropped 5 snowflakes meant that I didn't get anywhere. And of course dumb me dumped the 200k Free XP I won from my only snow globe into crates thinking I would be able to get to the next snowglobe. I didn't even get to stage 9, so I kind of wasted a total of 10k gold and 450k Free XP. I felt ripped off, but at the same time, I kind of deserve it. The first 2 rotations of auction tanks were pretty nice I thought. Most tanks you could wait till they where at a very fair price and pick them up. I purchased the Lorraine and the AMX 30 B. Also, just the event stages themselves were way to hard. I can understand WG charging a premium for a never seen before premium tier X, but no one in their right mind is going to spend 100s of dollars on one, that price is insane and a total rip off. All in all, this event was pretty bad compared to all of the other Christmas events. I hope WG can learn from it and make an awesome one next year. 

Signature by SpartacusDiablo   The king of signatures                                                                                                                       CRU2L Deputy. CRUEL/CRU2L discord: https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

o7 RatchetGod, R.I.P.

dport02 #18 Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33765 battles
  • [-FE4R]
Another thing, I Loove the X5 XP weekend. I was able to grind many tanks that I wouldn’t normally play
RNG is rigged !

wrecker1968 #19 Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 53760 battles
  • [HOUSE]
For me personally, I do not possess the skill to complete WG events anymore.

Blartch #20 Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Causer of Unrest

• Players
  • 64711 battles
  • [BRSKT]

It was schidtty.

The valuable part was the gold crates which I leveraged to buy a tier X medium that I am absolutely horrible with.  Otherwise, a massive booster-fest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users