• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

HumanCoookie #1 Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 18267 battles
  • [_STR8]

TL;DR: Update your windows computer if you prefer it not to die to malware

NSA warned about it yesterday I believe and so did one of my friend's father, who also works in the gov, about windows 10 currently being susceptible to malware attacks. If I remember right about 900 million people are at risk. Newest patch should fix this.

Here is just one of bunch of newsites reporting on it if some of you dont believe me https://www.techradar.com/news/the-nsa-has-found-a-serious-windows-10-bug-that-you-need-to-patch-right-now

NOTE: I've heard the update can take a few hours depending on device so be prepared to not use it for a bit. My computer updated in about 3 minutes lol but my same friend took about 2-3 hours on his computer so. Update might not show up for a normal "check for updates" scan. My friend had to download the update via the link under that button that manually searched the interwebs for it

Edited by HumanCoookie, 17 January 2020 - 04:49 AM.

Suggestions Thread for game improvement (now on Google Docs)

HNTS 101 [Normal Edition] (Due to be on Google Docs)

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

also i lerned to hyperlink yay

Explixiit_ #2 Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Wannabe unicum

• Players
  • 23101 battles
  • [-RVG-]
i checked and i don't have an update...

1014855156.png

You can bash me on this, but I kinda like missiles lmao

my crappy stats= here

acrisis #3 Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20702 battles
  • [III-C]

While I appreciate the heads up ...

a) There is no MS update available - is there? ... checked four times in the past three hours since your posting ... on different systems ... no updates, system is fully up to date. 

b) There is nothing out in the wild.

c) One would have to download software that is infected of visit some malicious website. 

So, when people just carefully go about their daily lives, using the software they have and visiting the secure websites they know, they will be perfectly fine.

And the patch will propagate the channels whenever and however MS decides to do it. 

Edited by acrisis, 17 January 2020 - 01:25 AM.

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

HumanCoookie #4 Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 18267 battles
  • [_STR8]

Your systems might've automatically updated then, most likely. My friend had to manually search for the update via the internet since his automatic "check for updates" didn't work and my update only took 3 minutes, which is odd, so most likely my system had downloaded it prior and just waited for me to confirm the update since my automatic update is off by personal choice. 

Also, acrisis, regarding point c, the vulnerability of the current OS is that malware can pose as legitimate software or websites even if it says it's from a trusted source. Doesn't matter if a website's digital certificate is valid and it's an https website, there's an increased chance the system could get comprised from remote hackers (assuming I read the articles and NSA tweet correctly; I just skimmed). 

Edit: personally, I wouldn't be as concerned if it was just some random patch for some legitimate threats, but the fact that the NSA publicly warned of the virus masking through valid certificates and that up to 900 million users are at risk kind of raises red flags, at least for me. 

Edited by HumanCoookie, 17 January 2020 - 04:48 AM.

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

acrisis #5 Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20702 battles
  • [III-C]

Well the initial note combined with not finding the update, just made it seem like a hoax. 

Note, it is not a virus, nothing is spreading. It is a means of attack and allowing malicious software to be installed by tricking a new security feature ms is working on, that things are authenticated and digitally signed and safe, while they’re not. 

I finally found the manual patch in a very a roundabout way, after looking at least a dozen articles, even searching ms site. So, there is a manual patch out there ... except what should take 1 min to find it, waw, google and ms were not helping. Everybody just copying the same bit, with no actual link to hq for the fix. 

Spoofed certificates going through is bad news, but I really think there is no major cause for alarm unless there is something out there combined with let’s say the hacking of a major app store, or something like viral news where people share something, but that has a means of prompting a download ... 

Looking at most people’s use case, they have their stuff installed, get it from the typical app store, visit maybe a dozen sites per day, have their windows system on auto update, ... 

I will poke around some more later. Maybe ms update won’t be bogged down. I’m suspecting maybe there is another update in the pipe, and that if you don’t have that one you may actually not be vulnerable yet. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Zuke76 #6 Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

Get zuked

• Players
  • 17867 battles
  • [FL-TH]
windows<mac

__Frostbite #7 Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 27993 battles
  • [-0]

View PostZuke76, on 17 January 2020 - 05:57 AM, said:

windows<mac

mac gang :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

Click me!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frost#3656) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiwi_Kebab #8 Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3700 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Post__Frostbite, on 17 January 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

mac gang :P

Windows remains the business standard. If Mac was the standard, it would suffer from viruses more often. 

Of course, we all know Ubuntu is the real master operating system. 

HumanCoookie #9 Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

Milk Before Cereal

• Players
  • 18267 battles
  • [_STR8]
linux for the win jajaja

HNTS 101 [Map Edition]

HNTS 101 [Tank Edition]

Si1verBlood #10 Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

The Armored Garbage Truck

• Players
  • 16839 battles
  • [MORTM]

Windows>Linux>Mac.....Mac's interface and default apps are garbage in general....

security threat for your every day  user was more centered around the fact that any site could pass as secured (https) when it is not (http)....which could lead to breaches if you download software/data from sources previously unknown to you...for example: you search for wotb forums on google because you do not have the site bookmarked....you get a link that goes to a site that copies the wotb forum interface and when you log in (which is the only part of the forums that is actually secured you basically give info to anyone who opened that site.

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Si1verBlood

View Post__Crusader6__, on 22 February 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Accept that bad players are a feature of the game.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users