Has this game evolved past non-turreted TDs?

TD Gameplay Meta Poll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Are TDs without turrets as effective as they used to be? (18 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Has WoT Blitz evolved past non-turreted TDs?

1. YES! The game is so mobility focused that TDs without turrets can’t hang (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. NO! Their effectiveness hasn’t changed (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. NOT REALLY. Most drivers haven’t successfully adapted to the change in playstyle or just aren’t good in TDs. (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Hide poll

Death__Valley #1 Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21944 battles

Now that this game has completely de-emphasized heavies and favors meds and lights, has this game gotten to the point where TDs without turrets are handicapped and ineffective? 

Maybe I’ve lost a step from my time away from the game, but I have been playing Blitz since the beginning, and it the way we play TDs now from 6 years ago is a lot different. Today successful Blitz strategy focuses on mobility, and slow heavies and TDs are left behind a lot. And it seems like the 268, JPE100 lines are not as useful as before. These TDs used to carry the teams, but now it’s far less common to see a TD put the team on his back. Maybe my outlook is skewed, but the most successful TDs today are the Skorpions, T30s, and a few really good 183 drivers. The rest are not really able to carry, from my experience. Do you find it harder in your old school TDs, or is it just me?

Follow up question: How do you find success in your TDs without turrets?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by zcostilla, 24 January 2020 - 02:06 AM.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

someguyfromPitt #2 Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:27 AM

Jeez Louise that one bounced

• Players
  • 53998 battles
  • [III-R]

There are some non-turreted TD’s that have been nerfed, like the Foch 155 for example, that are lesser than what they once were. Still the E3 is the highest win rate from the original 3 TD’s in game mainly because of front armor and big alpha.  

The meta changes consistently in tournaments where the obj263 and Foch 155 were used in the last Twister cup, but it’s not all turreted TD gameplay for the win. Sure Messi and his Grille showed map exploitation but it’s not uncommon for the “newest” tank to be used as it’s not fully understood how to play against it. Look at the transition from the IS-7 to the WZ113 in tournament play. It doesn’t mean the IS-7 is a bad tank, but for similar spots on the map, the WZ113 does it better.  

Take it from a former TD lover that nothing can replace the enjoyment of wiping off 900 HP in one shot with a 183, no matter the win rate. The E3 is far better for me to play, but after watching WG mess with the Foch 155 alpha, I won’t invest time into a line again that can be adjusted alpha wise and not reload time “just because”.  A large caliber gun deserves high alpha.  

It is our job as players to take advantage of changes to tanks in game to win more before other changes come into effect. 

Tanking in Blitz since July 2014

86 tanks in the garage, 23 premiums, 12 collectors, 18 tier X

The 30th member of Triarii, joined August 2014

RIP TankBoom Podcast

Mr_Qwertyxsad #3 Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:28 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12606 battles

While the only high tier tanks that I've played in TD range have turrets, my time in the ISU does point to mobility being a issue.  But, the ISU-152 with the BL-10 is not meant to run with the meds and also not meant to camp.  You follow, and provide support and damage when you can from the midrange, pushing only as a necessity.  While more mobile TDs like the Skorp or the French TD's do exist, and are quite effective in the mobile meta, one has extremly slow turret traverse, and the other is turretless.

I know for a fact that just because a tank doesn't have a turret does not mean you easily beat it.  I have been smoked by enough SU-152's or a WZ-113G FT's because of map positioning and other factors to know that putting it as black and white as you have it being here.  I've seen ISU-152's pony up and do 5k games from what looked like a certain loss, simply because the sheer scare factor that gun wields.  I have witnessed Foch 155's utterly mow their ways through a enemy team and force them into defence, giving the team time to set up blockades and hem in the enemy to a single part of the map.  And don't get me started on those Rhm B. tanks playing the hidden glass cannon role from a hilltop, thinning the enemy ranks 600 damage at a time.  All of those tanks excell in different situations, and all have different playstyles, ranging from passive sniper to aggressor.

My ramblings are leading to a point, and that point is while yes, Blitz is far more speedy than it used to be even a year ago, it still comes down to you, your team, and the skill of the enemy to determine what tanks dominate and how each perform in terms of gameplay.  A aggressive TD will be able to charge a line, yes, but a single sniped shot placed in the right place could result in a game changing Ammo rack or dropping a huge backbone tank down into one shot range.

"If you run out of ammo, load your buddies flask and fire again!"

[TOES] member

gordonchau #4 Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:06 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7642 battles
really down to the player. If those TDs are played by the same player who drive their heavies to a sniping spot then don't expect much

http://www.blitzstar.../1004189253.png

"60% players don't exist without 40% players"

Morphman11 #5 Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
Acting like the IS-7 wasn’t nerfed into being almost obsolete. There is almost no reason to pick an IS-7 over a 113.

RonaldusMaximus_ #6 Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Self-Righteous Prick

• Players
  • 16355 battles
  • [III-C]
I almost exclusively play non turreted TD's. I have not noticed any handicapping to them. Just because there are 2 new light tanks at tiers 9 and 10 does not change the fact that I have always played against more maneuverable light tanks at lower tiers.  The training has always been there.

Also tagged with TD, Gameplay, Meta, Poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users