Ghost Shells are RAMPANT

ghost disappearing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

tarzu #1 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7727 battles

I would estimate that 90% of my first shots disappear at this point. Like, they are 10m in front of me with a wide open side, and *poof*. No hit, no damage or explosion if HE, just...POOF. 

I would estimate at least 3 per game as well. I'm running 100 down, 20 up and 60-80ms pings. 

What is going on? 

Edited by tarzu, 28 January 2020 - 04:10 AM.

_Crusader6_ #2 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:16 AM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69628 battles
  • [BDGER]
Run PingPlotter.  
     I’ve had no issues of late - running 91.67% Hit Rate for the day. 

Tank Hoarder: 422 tanks in Garage:  430/431 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Ookla_the_Mok #3 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:24 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28787 battles
  • [BRSKT]

I've had them all day. My internet is not showing signs of acting up. The weirdest thing is that they were happening on my most perfectly aimed shots yet everything was normal on my moving/praying shots. No signs of lag elsewhere in the game.

There was an update maybe 18 months ago that was terrible on ghost shots and this feels like that period.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

tarzu #4 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:25 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7727 battles
 _

Edited by tarzu, 28 January 2020 - 04:28 AM.

tarzu #5 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7727 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 28 January 2020 - 04:24 AM, said:

I've had them all day. My internet is not showing signs of acting up. The weirdest thing is that they were happening on my most perfectly aimed shots yet everything was normal on my moving/praying shots. No signs of lag elsewhere in the game.

There was an update maybe 18 months ago that was terrible on ghost shots and this feels like that period.

Thanks - I was hoping it wasn't just me and was probably on their end!

tarzu #6 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7727 battles

View Post__Crusader6__, on 28 January 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

Run PingPlotter.  

Thanks for the response - i've been doing networking for about 30 years at this point, so I'm comfortable with my network and the response times (I use wireshark pretty heavily to track traffic, but my base numbers don't really show any sort of ping issue). It could, of course, be a software issue and/or mouse latency, but everything else works fine (I create VR content and have a way above average gaming system). My guess is it's either the Windows 10 app or server latency on their end. I had this issue awhile back, then it went away, now it's back after the last updates.

Ookla_the_Mok #7 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:35 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28787 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Posttarzu, on 27 January 2020 - 10:26 PM, said:

Thanks - I was hoping it wasn't just me and was probably on their end!

FWIW, the update I mentioned was the last time ghost shells stuck around for an extended stay. 

I wouldn't be surprised if everything was fine tomorrow.

[BRSKT]  

Bachus131 #8 Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:16 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29499 battles
  • [JAWZ]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 27 January 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

About the same for me auto- lock shots hit but even the most carefully aimed can't miss regular shots disappear.

'Don't follow the lights, they will lead you to your DOOM'  ( Gollum )

Immel_man #9 Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 72948 battles
  • [YODA_]
Same here. I’ve only had the random ghost shells as of late but today was BAD. Point blank fully aimed in shot on AFK tanks, nothing. No damage.

acrisis #10 Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21019 battles
  • [III-C]

View Posttarzu, on 27 January 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the response - i've been doing networking for about 30 years at this point, so I'm comfortable with my network and the response times (I use wireshark pretty heavily to track traffic, but my base numbers don't really show any sort of ping issue). It could, of course, be a software issue and/or mouse latency, but everything else works fine (I create VR content and have a way above average gaming system). My guess is it's either the Windows 10 app or server latency on their end. I had this issue awhile back, then it went away, now it's back after the last updates.

We all may be comfortable with our home / office network and internet provider, but unless one runs something like pingplotter, one can actually not rule out if it is network latency and where there might be packet loss.

Just because the rest of the internet works fine or for instance another game runs fine, does not mean much, when the perhaps longest distance used and most latency sensitive thing is connecting to an online game server.  It is very geographically dependent. There are often network issues in Chicago, causing widespread issues that have been well documented. 

The server has capacity to can scale up for many 10k players and without widespread reports in clan or forum, it would more likely be an ISP thing, it could be a windows thing, a wotb pc thing ... rather, well, my computer is fine, my internet is fast, it has to be the game server. That tends to be the first conclusion, but I have seen it first hand in several instances where it was the local network ( not saying it is in your case, if you understand wireshark, I’d take it your network is fine), your isp and in 99% of the cases, where it isn’t WG. 

Edited by acrisis, 28 January 2020 - 12:27 PM.

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Becksel #11 Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9022 battles
  • [QCSAG]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 27 January 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

Run PingPlotter.  

Is that an app? And is it on phone or pc?

Premium Tanks In Garage:43

Collector Tanks In Garage:9

Tier x's:10

PREVIOUS USERNAME-JesusTheReason

Texas_Tyrant #12 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

The Philosophical Tank Farmer

• Players
  • 12381 battles
  • [UTC]
Um, I'm having problems to with ghost shells. Same problem as described by OP. I play pc Windows 10 and have a ping of 40-70. Must be new update.

We Want Israeli Tanks In Game! Merkava MK 1 Fits In Game!

"Remember the Alamo, remember Goliad" and tank with Vengeance!

Fun fact: There are 15 MBT in game already!

_Crusader6_ #13 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69628 battles
  • [BDGER]

View PostJesusTheReason, on 28 January 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

I use it as an App, but you can do it via PC as well. 
  Mainly I run it in the same iPad I play, as I have noticed oddities when using different devices than I play on. 

Ookla_the_Mok #14 Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28787 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostJesusTheReason, on 28 January 2020 - 08:42 AM, said:

App and a downloadable piece of software for PC.

If you want to check your situation, first take a look at this following thread: http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/81897-got-lag-its-equinixgcores-fault/

Note that reluctanttheist has been helping people with this for years. Not that you should bother him, but he knows what he is doing.

Link to software: https://www.pingplotter.com/

Alternatives of various flavors: https://www.netadmintools.com/alternatives-to-pingplotter

This is most helpful if you have a longer term consistent problem. As I said above, the lag/ghost issue has been mitigated and usually goes away for me in a short time. If it continues, then you may need to dig into it. 

[BRSKT]  

Becksel #15 Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9022 battles
  • [QCSAG]
If you have a lot of ghost shells is that a ping problem?

Premium Tanks In Garage:43

Collector Tanks In Garage:9

Tier x's:10

PREVIOUS USERNAME-JesusTheReason

Bachus131 #16 Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29499 battles
  • [JAWZ]

View PostJesusTheReason, on 28 January 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

If you have a lot of ghost shells is that a ping problem?

No Ping will make you miss meaning your shot goes where the tank was on your screen but tank has moved before you shot but you didn't see it due to bad ping auto-aim compensates somewhat but may make you hit the cover they dove behind.

Ghost shells are when your shot clearly hits the tank but the game does not recognize it. 

One of the causes is if two or more things happen at once such as your shot happens at the same time you get shot and the game prioritizes your taking damage over your doing damage and your shot gets lost in the shuffle but then other times there is no apparent reason to it. 

PS: it is for the before mentioned reason that the more 'cool stuff' like crew voices and exploding turrets that WG adds to the game the more common Ghost Shots become. 

Edited by Bachus131, 28 January 2020 - 07:59 PM.

_Crusader6_ #17 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69628 battles
  • [BDGER]

View PostBachus131, on 28 January 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

No Ping will make you miss meaning your shot goes where the tank was on your screen but tank has moved before you shot but you didn't see it due to bad ping auto-aim compensates somewhat but may make you hit the cover they dove behind.

Ghost shells are when your shot clearly hits the tank but the game does not recognize it. 

One of the causes is if two or more things happen at once such as your shot happens at the same time you get shot and the game prioritizes your taking damage over your doing damage and your shot gets lost in the shuffle but then other times there is no apparent reason to it. 

PS: it is for the before mentioned reason that the more 'cool stuff' like crew voices and exploding turrets that WG adds to the game the more common Ghost Shots become. 

True ghost shots are from client server synch issues. 
   The game server knows where your gun and tank are - but sometimes it’s not accurately reflected on your device.   
 Packet loss, device issues, and many more can cause that.  

Two updates ago while trying to fix the splash through solid object issue on two maps, a lot of pen mechanics got broken - HE bouncing, many ghosts, and an increase in visual ghosts (game tracked the shot as a hit but wasn’t displayed on device as a hit). 
  That was hot fixed in a few days.  

At this point people having repeated ‘ghost shot’ issues have several possible problems. 

Device conflicts (running multiple programs and Blitz not getting enough resources at the client level) 

System issue (Blitz host version on some platforms may be partially unstable) 

Packet Loss. 

I’m not seeing any issues in game on my iOS iPad.  

XSleighSlayer #18 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 152 battles
I am not too sure... One of my shot disappeared when I shot a HE at the back of a t95 in my t92e1, and I literally saw it go trough the tank! that was 800+ damage gone from the game.And then I got hit for 400 and did 0 damage in return. And I only had 150 ping and no loss. This is getting worse every update. 

Edited by XSleighSlayer, 28 January 2020 - 10:32 PM.

minitel_NA #19 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Posttarzu, on 28 January 2020 - 04:09 AM, said:

I would estimate that 90% of my first shots disappear at this point. Like, they are 10m in front of me with a wide open side, and *poof*. No hit, no damage or explosion if HE, just...POOF. 

I would estimate at least 3 per game as well. I'm running 100 down, 20 up and 60-80ms pings. 

What is going on? 

post a replay. Without a replay nothing has ever happened.

most ghost shots are near miss, that look weird only due to your point of view and perspective effects.

Then the most curious cases are various kinds of internet or server lags.

here to make you feel enlightened :

finally, after I have studied thousands of shots, I have seen probably seen no more than 2 potential cases valid enough for a nomination as “ghost shots”. Not elected. Nominated.

Edited by minitel_NA, 28 January 2020 - 10:51 PM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Bachus131 #20 Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:33 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29499 battles
  • [JAWZ]

Ghost shots also became rampant after they added the 'helper' programs that were supposed to make it easier for new players to aim   ( which is why your reticule sometimes sticks to rocks and friendlies even now). 

I suspect that this upsurge is related to the targeting mechanics of missiles being introduced to the game. 

Also tagged with ghost, disappearing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users