Faux Clans

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Death__Valley #1 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

How does WG handle faux clans, that use another clan’s name and mimics their tags? Ran i to a player a couple days back using the [III-F] tag, so after a year away from the game, I thought my clan added another sub-clan. But nope. I hit him with my standard game chat “[¡¡¡] o7” and he does nothing but spout hate for my clan the whole match. Dude yolo’d and raged the rest of the match. So I go to see who the lead for the clan was, so I could take this up, and he’s in “RenamedClan” with a random number chain in the title. And he’s the only one in his clan. I appreciate that he cannot use Triarii in his clan name, but he is still using our tag.

I thought I saw a fake Prammo clan the other day, so it’s not just Triarii that has to deal with this.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

RISCmachine #2 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36798 battles
  • [III-F]

Sorry, since when was "III" trademarked?

Will also change the name  to Tiarri- Freaks

Edited by dong0927, 28 January 2020 - 09:07 AM.

R3l0ading #3 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1988 battles
  • [MAHOU]
While I don’t agree with the negativity,your clan name isn’t trademarked..There is noting written on paper that III and all its branches belong to you.While I also do agree that it’s hard to find out which clans are fake and real it can’t really stop anyone from creating a clan name similar to yours.Besides all these branches like III-C and III-R are too much I forget them anyways,I don’t think that’s how clans are to be made but you do you I guess.

cjcourtney1 #4 Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 29732 battles
  • [S3MC]

View Postzcostilla, on 28 January 2020 - 03:40 AM, said:

I appreciate that he cannot use Triarii in his clan name, but he is still using our tag.

Maybe not clan name,but clan motto says :Tiarri family .very misleading if not blatant lie. Also III not a trademark but a brand.This tanker ruining it.....my 2 cents.......

Posit1ve_ #5 Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 58724 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 03:56 AM, said:

And perhaps someday you will also surpass the maturity of a 5 year old

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

RonaldusMaximus_ #6 Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Vote: Cletus/Ronaldus 2020

• Players
  • 13172 battles
  • [III-C]
Dong couldn't even be creative. F-iii would have at least been funny, but this d-bag wants to pretend to be in a clan he couldn't qualify to get into just because his feelings got butt hurt.

cheesehead247365 #7 Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14597 battles
  • [MORTM]
I had a fake STR8 on my team this weekend.  He was a 48% who did lowest dmg.  shocker!

Mr_Qwertyxsad #8 Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12326 battles
  • [TOES]

I've seen plenty of faux clan tags, and there are times where the player did amazing in the battle, but did nothing but rage, rant, and make a general nuisence of themselves.  My personal fave was a fake KRONO I saw who got ammorekt and then began claiming he had "friends in support" who were going to "ban my account for messing with him."  I'm still here, which should tell you all you need to know about that threat...

The moral of the story?  Be respectful, and be original.  I garuntee that the top clans of today weren't all named after another top clan of the time of their founding.  Many of the top clans of today WERE the top clans at the time of their founding if I'm being honest...

"If you run out of ammo, load your buddies flask and fire again!"

[TOES] member

Death__Valley #9 Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 02:56 AM, said:

Hilarious, but wrong. I wasn’t naming and shaming, and went out of the way to not put your name in the thread, to the point I intentionally waited several days to make sure I wasn’t posting purely out of frustration. But now that you self ID as the troll who acted this way, here we are. I threw up the clan tag to say hello out of respect, and you immediately started spouting garbage. But I get it, you’re bitter and think that being a jerk and a troll will make it even. Life’s experiences have taught me the opposite, and I really hope you find some semblance of peace that makes life better for you.

In the meanwhile, your ignorance about protecting intellectual property shows. By federal law, intellectual property is protected at the moment of creation. Had Triarii registered our tag as a trademark or copyrighted our slogan, it would make any court cases much easier to win to protect that property, but this is a game, and we all know that it really isn’t worth that kind of effort in real life. My question was more about how WG handles trolls. If the clan leadership wanted, they could go through the cost and effort to send a legal cease and desist order to you and to WG. I put this here to ask if WG does the right thing without going through such measures.

And just in case you’re wondering about the veracity of my point, this is directly from the US Patent & Trademark Office https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics

Should I register my Trademark?

Although federal registration of a mark is not mandatory, it has several advantages, including notice to the public of the registrant's claim of ownership of the mark, legal presumption of ownership nationwide, and exclusive right to use the mark on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration.

Edited by zcostilla, 28 January 2020 - 03:36 PM.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

cheesehead247365 #10 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14597 battles
  • [MORTM]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

Change yours to Tiaras - wearing proudly

RISCmachine #11 Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36798 battles
  • [III-F]

View Postzcostilla, on 28 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hilarious, but wrong. I wasn’t naming and shaming, and went out of the way to not put your name in the thread, to the point I intentionally waited several days to make sure I wasn’t posting purely out of frustration. But now that you self ID as the troll who acted this way, here we are. I threw up the clan tag to say hello out of respect, and you immediately started spouting garbage. But I get it, you’re bitter and think that being a jerk and a troll will make it even. Life’s experiences have taught me the opposite, and I really hope you find some semblance of peace that makes life better for you.

In the meanwhile, your ignorance about protecting intellectual property shows. By federal law, intellectual property is protected at the moment of creation. Had Triarii registered our tag as a trademark or copyrighted our slogan, it would make any court cases much easier to win to protect that property, but this is a game, and we all know that it really isn’t worth that kind of effort in real life. My question was more about how WG handles trolls. If the clan leadership wanted, they could go through the cost and effort to send a legal cease and desist order to you and to WG. I put this here to ask if WG does the right thing without going through such measures.

And just in case you’re wondering about the veracity of my point, this is directly from the US Patent & Trademark Office https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics

Should I register my Trademark?

Although federal registration of a mark is not mandatory, it has several advantages, including notice to the public of the registrant's claim of ownership of the mark, legal presumption of ownership nationwide, and exclusive right to use the mark on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration.

If your clan copyrights/trademarks the name, I will respectfully change it. In the meantime, from your source, intellectual property is not inherently protected legally

Death__Valley #12 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:14 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

If your clan copyrights/trademarks the name, I will respectfully change it. In the meantime, from your source, intellectual property is not inherently protected legally

Again, that’s not the way it works. Intellectual property is protected AT CREATION OR INCEPTION. Filing to register a copyright, trademark, or patent is primarily to let others know that your intellectual property exists, and to make a legal defense of such property much easier. I know because I created a private organization for youth basketball, and was the team owner, AD, and head coach. I had to protect our team name and logo because another organization tried to use it without permission for a cross country team. Showing him the law and threatening a lawsuit was enough to get him to stop. 

In order to qualify for a trademark, an entity must engage in commerce (which we do for tournament prizes and fundraisers), and have a clearly identifiable mark (our clan tag [¡¡¡] which is used in game as [III], and the affiliated sub-clans).

per the excerpts found at https://www.hg.org/intell.html

Trademarks protect symbols, names, and slogans used to identify goods and services. The purpose is to avoid confusion, deter misleading advertising, and help consumers distinguish one brand from another. Since the goal is to distinguish, generic or purely descriptive marks may not qualify. Rights can potentially last forever, and they are obtained by simply using a mark. While not required, owners can register their marks for additional protection. (emphasis mine)

Notice of trademarks and copyrights is given by placing the appropriate symbol (™, ©, etc.) on the material, and then registering the mark or copyright, so it can be added to the government's database. (emphasis mine)

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

Bachus131 #13 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28941 battles
  • [JAWZ]

View Postzcostilla, on 28 January 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

Again, that’s not the way it works. Intellectual property is protected AT CREATION OR INCEPTION. Filing to register a copyright, trademark, or patent is primarily to let others know that your intellectual property exists, and to make a legal defense of such property much easier. I know because I created a private organization for youth basketball, and was the team owner, AD, and head coach. I had to protect our team name and logo because another organization tried to use it without permission for a cross country team. Showing him the law and threatening a lawsuit was enough to get him to stop. 

In order to qualify for a trademark, an entity must engage in commerce (which we do for tournament prizes and fundraisers), and have a clearly identifiable mark (our clan tag [¡¡¡] which is used in game as [III], and the affiliated sub-clans).

per the excerpts found at https://www.hg.org/intell.html

Trademarks protect symbols, names, and slogans used to identify goods and services. The purpose is to avoid confusion, deter misleading advertising, and help consumers distinguish one brand from another. Since the goal is to distinguish, generic or purely descriptive marks may not qualify. Rights can potentially last forever, and they are obtained by simply using a mark. While not required, owners can register their marks for additional protection. (emphasis mine)

Notice of trademarks and copyrights is given by placing the appropriate symbol (™, ©, etc.) on the material, and then registering the mark or copyright, so it can be added to the government's database. (emphasis mine)

I would turn in a ticket under offensive clan names explaining that he is defacing your clan's reputation and include a replay of his trollish behavior in game.  That should be enough to get them to make him change it under the current rules of the game.

'Don't follow the lights, they will lead you to your DOOM'  ( Gollum )

RISCmachine #14 Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36798 battles
  • [III-F]

View Postzcostilla, on 28 January 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

Intellectual property is protected AT CREATION OR INCEPTION. 

If you can provide a valid legal source, I will change the tag 

Death__Valley #15 Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 02:54 PM, said:

If you can provide a valid legal source, I will change the tag

I already included two paragraphs above, but since you are a troll, I’m not surprised that you don’t feel it is enough. But there is also this found at https://articles.bplans.com/copyrights-patents-trademarks-and-trade-secrets-how-do-you-protect-your-creations/

2. What is trademark protection?

Your trademark can be protected by registering a symbol or symbolic slogan (your trademark) that you use to define your brand. Your trademark is the words, numbers, symbols or even unique packaging that distinguishes your brand. Once registered, you can use the registered ® logo to notify the public that you own the symbol or name. In the United States, you can also mark a trademark with a TM symbol, which means you claim an unregistered trademark. If another company uses your trademark, you can sue for trademark infringement or take legal cease and desist action against them. If the trademark is not registered, the lawsuit will be more difficult.

So If the clan starts using a TM symbol every time it uses Triarii in the forums, the protection is there with the legal assumption that the clan then I tends to protect its copyright. Again, this is a lot of work just because you want to be a troll. But I guess I’ll take it to the clan leadership and they have the right to push the issue since you seem to have no honor or integrity on the issue yourself.

Edited to add! Since the first two paragraphs didn’t make you see it this way, I'm not sure this one will either. But until you change your clan name and tag, I will only think of you as a bigger troll. I hope this isn’t so, because I really do try to find the good in people. I just deal with enough bitter people in real life and see enough similarities in your actions here that I’m not sure you’ll do the decent thing. But then I still hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by zcostilla, 28 January 2020 - 09:17 PM.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

RISCmachine #16 Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36798 battles
  • [III-F]

View Postzcostilla, on 28 January 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

I already included two paragraphs above, but since you are a troll, I’m not surprised that you don’t feel it is enough. But there is also this found at https://articles.bplans.com/copyrights-patents-trademarks-and-trade-secrets-how-do-you-protect-your-creations/

2. What is trademark protection?

Your trademark can be protected by registering a symbol or symbolic slogan (your trademark) that you use to define your brand. Your trademark is the words, numbers, symbols or even unique packaging that distinguishes your brand. Once registered, you can use the registered ® logo to notify the public that you own the symbol or name. In the United States, you can also mark a trademark with a TM symbol, which means you claim an unregistered trademark. If another company uses your trademark, you can sue for trademark infringement or take legal cease and desist action against them. If the trademark is not registered, the lawsuit will be more difficult.

So If the clan starts using a TM symbol every time it uses Triarii in the forums, the protection is there with the legal assumption that the clan then I tends to protect its copyright. Again, this is a lot of work just because you want to be a troll. But I guess I’ll take it to the clan leadership and they have the right to push the issue since you seem to have no honor or integrity on the issue yourself.

Edited to add! Since the first two paragraphs didn’t make you see it this way, I'm not sure this one will either. But until you change your clan name and tag, I will only think of you as a bigger troll. I hope this isn’t so, because I really do try to find the good in people. I just deal with enough bitter people in real life and see enough similarities in your actions here that I’m not sure you’ll do the decent thing. But then I still hope to be pleasantly surprised.

stop quoting  irrelevant blocks of text regarding trademarks .give me a specific line of text which asserts that copying a non-trademarked/non copyrighted idea is illegal

Death__Valley #17 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:11 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Postdong0927, on 28 January 2020 - 03:36 PM, said:

stop quoting  irrelevant blocks of text regarding trademarks .give me a specific line of text which asserts that copying a non-trademarked/non copyrighted idea is illegal

Like I said, you!re a bitter troll. I never said it was illegal, as it is now. It won’t be unlawful until the clan decides to assert its right to protect the tag with a TM when they use it. I am saying it’s unethical and thus, you’re a troll. 

Edited by zcostilla, 28 January 2020 - 10:19 PM.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

R3l0ading #18 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1988 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Why would someone go through the trouble to find copyright laws for a Videogame.Why in the world are you even wondering what Wargaming does to these trolls?The III clans are not very hard to get into,they’re average at best.I’m not defending the troll but what’s the point in going through the trouble to post this?Once you have your clan with all its “official” branches in the description then it should be fine,if anyone misinterprets III-F as an actual III clan just direct them to your clan desc. Wargaming doesn’t have to do anything really.

RonaldusMaximus_ #19 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

Vote: Cletus/Ronaldus 2020

• Players
  • 13172 battles
  • [III-C]

iii™

Also I would like to direct you to the Triarii store and apparel shop on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cp_4%3ATriarii&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011

Edited by RonaldusMaximus_, 28 January 2020 - 10:43 PM.

RISCmachine #20 Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36798 battles
  • [III-F]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 28 January 2020 - 10:39 PM, said:

iii™

Also I would like to direct you to the Triarii store and apparel shop on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cp_4%3ATriarii&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011

The shirts pretty nice ngl

Edited by dong0927, 28 January 2020 - 10:46 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users