• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

little_brother_of_war #81 Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 15791 battles
  • [FROST]

View Post_Cletus, on 11 April 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

See I was thinking pretty much the same thing, it's a good idea to have someone who knows what they are doing go over it.  The sanding is from the procedure I read over to change the nut myself, you buy the new nut and sand it down to the correct height, I wouldn't be sanding the guitar itself.  But yeah you're right, it's better to have someone who knows look over my guitar.  

Yes, if the nut is causing problems it could throw off the playability quite a bit. I was always a bit hesitant too mess with anything structural like replacing a nut or bridge, but that’s just me.

Sometimes the string grooves in the nut will be too tight, as well and make it difficult to tune. It will make a pinging sound as a string stretches during tuning. That would mean it to require some very fine filing of that groove. It’s amazing how much difference all those little factors effect the overall performance!

But once you get everything to where you’d like it to be, it’s all smooth sailing. And just knowing you have an instrument of your own preference that fits your spirit and groove is very satisfying. 

I’ve had some pretty nice guitars in the past, acoustic and electric, along with a number of cool amps. Nothing necessarily high-dollar but quality just the same. 

If I had a buddy, friend or acquaintance come by that was a pretty accomplished and/or hot guitar player, and let them play one of my guitars, it was always nice to hear the compliments and hear someone else playing them.
Because of my culture, I suppose, I figured that their spirit was blessing that instrument as well. ;)

I miss my old guitars and gear but it just got so physically demanding and it was getting too taxing on my wrists and my hands/fingers just can’t move quickly enough anymore. But I always appreciate hearing that someone is a player or is getting into it.

But I can still blow a mean blues harp... :B lol

Old cowboy saying #1...

”Welp...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Old cowboy saying #2...

”If it bothers you so much, why talk about it?”

>>>============> anet’sodi’ <============<<<

Death__Valley #82 Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:28 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Postlittle_brother_of_war, on 11 April 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

Yes, if the nut is causing problems it could throw off the playability quite a bit. I was always a bit hesitant too mess with anything structural like replacing a nut or bridge, but that’s just me.

Sometimes the string grooves in the nut will be too tight, as well and make it difficult to tune. It will make a pinging sound as a string stretches during tuning. That would mean it to require some very fine filing of that groove. It’s amazing how much difference all those little factors effect the overall performance!

But once you get everything to where you’d like it to be, it’s all smooth sailing. And just knowing you have an instrument of your own preference that fits your spirit and groove is very satisfying. 

That’s pretty much what I said

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

_Cletus #83 Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 27894 battles
  • [III-R]

Yeah the three high strings fail your test Z.  The grooves are fine, I don't have problems tuning, but it is buzzy, particularly high E.  I'm pretty sure it needs a new nut.  

I've done a little research, it's a takamine EF-349, which seems to be pretty rare.  Apparently it's really good for recording in a studio, which I'll probably never do.  But experienced players seemed to be pretty happy about it.

Dark_Magician_Girl, on 07 February 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Please show us on the doll where MM touched you

Avatar and graphics by crpl_hicks

KoV3LiK.jpg

little_brother_of_war #84 Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:51 AM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 15791 battles
  • [FROST]

View Post_Cletus, on 11 April 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

I've done a little research, it's a takamine EF-349, which seems to be pretty rare.  Apparently it's really good for recording in a studio, which I'll probably never do.  But experienced players seemed to be pretty happy about it.

You’re right. I wasn’t familiar with it but was browsing GuitarSite.com after entering that model name/number and there are some really stand-up comments regarding it. Nice!

Old cowboy saying #1...

”Welp...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Old cowboy saying #2...

”If it bothers you so much, why talk about it?”

>>>============> anet’sodi’ <============<<<

Death__Valley #85 Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:42 PM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Post_Cletus, on 11 April 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Yeah the three high strings fail your test Z.  The grooves are fine, I don't have problems tuning, but it is buzzy, particularly high E.  I'm pretty sure it needs a new nut.  

Did you try the 3rd fret test I mentioned earlier, and if you have a capo, can you post a photo of the test from the side to compare the string angles toward the fretboard? I’d also love a pic of the whole guitar too, but that wouldn’t help your buzzing. All mahogany guitars are gorgeous!

Edited to add: if several strings are cut too low, you’ll need a new nut. If only one or two are too low, the repair guy may use baking soda and super glue to save you some cash (of course a new nut is only $20, but it’s a lot more work, so he might also charge you more labor). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFAMQHd2cQk

Edited by zcostilla, 12 April 2020 - 01:51 PM.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

_Cletus #86 Posted 12 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 27894 battles
  • [III-R]

https://imgur.com/gallery/nQjHZU0

Check it out...it's got some scratches and whatnot but only cosmetic, except for the nut.  It's kind of chewed up somehow?  I don't have a capo but I included a picture holding the high E on the third fret, there's no discernible gap.  The G and B aren't as bad but the gap is still too small.  The high E is where my buzz is coming from.

Dark_Magician_Girl, on 07 February 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Please show us on the doll where MM touched you

Avatar and graphics by crpl_hicks

KoV3LiK.jpg

Death__Valley #87 Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:21 AM

Purveyor of Dad Jokes

• Players
  • 21922 battles
  • [FOGS2]

View Post_Cletus, on 12 April 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nQjHZU0

Check it out...it's got some scratches and whatnot but only cosmetic, except for the nut.  It's kind of chewed up somehow?  I don't have a capo but I included a picture holding the high E on the third fret, there's no discernible gap.  The G and B aren't as bad but the gap is still too small.  The high E is where my buzz is coming from.

it certainly looks like it’s cut too low from the photos. If you have precision files and some patience, you can try the baking soda and super glue trick.  Otherwise, the tools will coast more than the repair. It’s a worthy investment if you want to get into maintaining instruments as a hobby, side job, or main employment, but otherwise you’re better off finding a skilled luthier to do it for you.

Also (and unrelated), I came across this video today and thought it might be helpful: https://youtu.be/ah3zvY1-5jM. He has a lot of YouTube instruction videos, but I’ve only watched this one.

-INDEFINITELY ON HIATUS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users