How does one play no armor trash tanks......

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

King__David #1 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:15 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47261 battles
  • [KNELL]
I'm referring to the Leo line that turns into a medium line. I just need the e50M and Ferdinand to conclude my entire collection of german tanks (tanks with armor or good camo) Not including those tanks that leaves me with 5 tanks left to buy and research to have the entire german tech tree in my garage. The thing is I really like armor or really good camo. I tend to struggle with tanks that have no armor but are not meant to be played like a light tank. I'm sure I'm missing a lot any advice or feedback would be nice.

dport02 #2 Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32085 battles
  • [-FE4R]
The leopard has arguably best gun in tier 10, with the best accuracy tied with the T62A. It’s also one of the fastest tanks in tier X. Try to keep moving in it, and stay hull down, because you can get some troll shots.
RNG is rigged !

BlackBeltBlitzer #3 Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:35 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 723 battles
With the lower tier tanks, keep moving! If you’re not spotted, you can snipe. But if you are, hit the gas pedal.

Stay Strong and Tank On!

A proud owner of the Cockroach of Destruction and a Wallet Warrior In Training.

Rou_Garou #4 Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

Carriers needed - apply inside

• Players
  • 32018 battles
  • [OP-4]

Don't poke out of cover till fully reloaded

Shoot take cover and reset camo relocate

Don't get hit and live to shoot more stuff

Don't rush inBe patientDon't brawl unnecessarilyKnow your tanks and enemy tanks;  Know your tanks' role;  

Knowing maps allows situation awareness; Mini-map is a mighty map;  Drive to cover;

Fight like you have no armor; Relocate and reset camo oftenBe the lover of cover;  

Hull down is OP; Stay on high ground; Don't go where you don't know

A I M 

_Crusader6_ #5 Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 65627 battles
  • [SURG3]

The Leo line from the SP1C is a way to learn to abuse mobility, camo, and how to exploit distracted tanks. 

When you get to the PTA you obviously lose light tank camo, so you need to be more cautious when moving around in it and the Leo 1
 The mantlet and front hull can troll bounces if angled and only exposing a sliver - but large cal guns will switch to HE and splash you for some decent damage. 

Reset camo, don’t poke spotted until clean up when you zoom around doing clean up.  The PTA is a fantastic second line tank as low tier - just plink distracted tanks - only enter a brawl when your team really needs it.  

One of the biggest strengths is the mobility  - constant rotational play and singing distracted reds - and zooming in to erase isolated tanks with the mobility.  

Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/413 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Major_Sweatpants #6 Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5233 battles
  • [GTFO-]

1. If you wanna learn low-armor mediums, play the Crusader-Cromwell-Comet. but yeah, the main points are listed above. low armor, though still bounceable, small, low pen guns offset by good mobility. don't frontline, make sure to flank as much as possible. use the speed to relocate, always go the medium route. if you try to frontally engage a heavy, your gonna have to A) load APCR or B) run for your sweet life. derp guns are not fun, they'll derp you at whatever chance they can. it's possible to sidescrape, but rapid peek-a-boom is a better strategy. the front-mounted turrets on the Comet and Cromwell are good for that. if you get into an open area, use your DPM to murder pretty much anything. (ill call myself an expert on the comet as I've grinded it for 2 T8 tanks, and its one of my highest WR tonks.)

Alopex__ #7 Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:14 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3818 battles
  • [T_W_O]

View PostMajor_Sweatpants, on 27 March 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

1. If you wanna learn low-armor mediums, play the Crusader-Cromwell-Comet. but yeah, the main points are listed above. low armor, though still bounceable, small, low pen guns offset by good mobility. don't frontline, make sure to flank as much as possible. use the speed to relocate, always go the medium route. if you try to frontally engage a heavy, your gonna have to A) load APCR or B) run for your sweet life. derp guns are not fun, they'll derp you at whatever chance they can. it's possible to sidescrape, but rapid peek-a-boom is a better strategy. the front-mounted turrets on the Comet and Cromwell are good for that. if you get into an open area, use your DPM to murder pretty much anything. (ill call myself an expert on the comet as I've grinded it for 2 T8 tanks, and its one of my highest WR tonks.)

I'd switch out comet for t23 for this comparison, it has more speed more fire on the move and way less armor and better pen. To me it feels closer to a leopard. Comet tier for tier has decent armor for a tier 7 med. 

j_rod #8 Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:15 PM

Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 27601 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View PostStarFox__McCloud, on 27 March 2020 - 08:14 AM, said:

I'd switch out comet for t23 for this comparison, it has more speed more fire on the move and way less armor and better pen. To me it feels closer to a leopard. Comet tier for tier has decent armor for a tier 7 med. 

All those tanks mentioned have great gun depression. The RU has 10deg....over the side. The PTA has 6deg total. They are also low-alpha DPM machines, which makes for a different play style than the German light line. 

IMHO, the RU and the PTA are two of the hardest tanks to play because they have no armor and can't fight ridges with their lack of gun depression. They're both second line tanks that require a LOT of patience. Anyone that likes to get out and brawl is going to struggle in those tanks. 

OP - I've played with you a number of times and you're a skilled player, but you're used to playing aggressively in heavies which make up almost 74% of your battles. You're just going to have to change your mindset if you want to play (and enjoy) the tanks with no armor. 

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Ronin_23 #9 Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

Bot

• Players
  • 21187 battles
  • [KRONO]

View Postj_rod, on 27 March 2020 - 03:15 PM, said:

All those tanks mentioned have great gun depression. The RU has 10deg....over the side. The PTA has 6deg total. They are also low-alpha DPM machines, which makes for a different play style than the German light line. 

IMHO, the RU and the PTA are two of the hardest tanks to play because they have no armor and can't fight ridges with their lack of gun depression. They're both second line tanks that require a LOT of patience. Anyone that likes to get out and brawl is going to struggle in those tanks. 

OP - I've played with you a number of times and you're a skilled player, but you're used to playing aggressively in heavies which make up almost 74% of your battles. You're just going to have to change your mindset if you want to play (and enjoy) the tanks with no armor. 

I see your point about the Ru and PTA requiring patience but in my experience, I loved the Ru especially because I DIDN'T need to be patient. It's amazing for zooming around and dodging shells and fat slow heavies. I was able to be more aggressive in that tank than most. PTA was a different story due to the glut of big guns at tier X but still immensely fun and used some of the Ru's lessons. Probably smarter to play cautiously but who's that fun for?

_Crusader6_ #10 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 65627 battles
  • [SURG3]

View PostRonin_23, on 27 March 2020 - 12:34 PM, said:

I see your point about the Ru and PTA requiring patience but in my experience, I loved the Ru especially because I DIDN'T need to be patient. It's amazing for zooming around and dodging shells and fat slow heavies. I was able to be more aggressive in that tank than most. PTA was a different story due to the glut of big guns at tier X but still immensely fun and used some of the Ru's lessons. Probably smarter to play cautiously but who's that fun for?

I am fairly aggressive in both of those - at first, as I’ll rush to spot, but then reset camo and use the mobility and the gun as required.  
   The biggest flaw many Ru-> Leo1 players have is not using the mobility properly. Either by camping in them, or trying to win gun fights stationary in them.   

Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/413 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Popcann #11 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8635 battles
Just lap the map along the outside boundary at warp speed, when a shot becomes available, stop and shoot. Lol

BlackBeltBlitzer #12 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:33 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 723 battles

View PostPopcann, on 27 March 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Just lap the map along the outside boundary at warp speed, when a shot becomes available, stop and shoot. Lol

:D

Stay Strong and Tank On!

A proud owner of the Cockroach of Destruction and a Wallet Warrior In Training.

Schantzy #13 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:33 PM

TWSS

• Players
  • 18120 battles
  • [802VT]
Nice thread all, lots of good  info.... +1

minitel_NA #14 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]
  1. Drive very stealthily.
  2. pop up unexpectedly yelling « BOOOO »
  3. enemy should be scared to death and die as a result of scare.
  4. for me it usually works and we win.
  5. if it didn’t work double check if you have said « boob » instead. It’s not the same word.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Corners_1 #15 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3498 battles
  • [V-2]

View PostJesseRSmith11, on 27 March 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

With the lower tier tanks, keep moving! If you’re not spotted, you can snipe. But if you are, hit the gas pedal.

I've found turning on the auto aim as you are speeding around can get you some shots in that you normally wouldn't take because of steering. Yes you will bounce some because it's tough to aim backwards and drive forward, but getting some shots in as you speed around is better than none

King__David #16 Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:33 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47261 battles
  • [KNELL]
Awesome stuff guys thanks. 

Valkyrie04 #17 Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 2718 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Pro tip: