• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Immel_man #1 Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

a thread devoted to plastic modeling.

Social distancing has been a boon for my hobby time. Heres the T-55 I talked about back in January. the assembly is complete, I am trying to decide how much more dirt and grime it needs. 

acrisis #2 Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21314 battles
  • [III-C]
Great job! 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Meat_Locker #3 Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:45 PM

Large Member

• Players
  • 53425 battles
  • [TOES]
Wow! Impressive work!

Immel_man #4 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]
Are those pictures sized wonky for anyone? I was trying to use as large a format without it getting smushed up on mobile.

twirlingtowardsfreedom #5 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 35596 battles
This is great, thanks for sharing! Throw any links here if you recommend a model or two/setup for beginners.

BlackBeltBlitzer #6 Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1047 battles
Wow! You do much better than anything I’ve ever tried! +1!

Stay Strong and Tank On!

A proud owner of the Cockroach of Destruction and a Wallet Warrior In Training.

tedg5 #7 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 57724 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Nice! :great:

Immel_man #8 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

View Posttwirlingtowardsfreedom, on 05 April 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

This is great, thanks for sharing! Throw any links here if you recommend a model or two/setup for beginners.

I started off as an airplane builder. The dominant scale for that is 1/48. When tamiya started producing AFV kits in 1/48 I gave that a whirl, and I really enjoy them (1/48 being smaller than the dominant afv scale of 1/35). The smaller scale having far fewer parts makes construction fast and fairly easy. Great for the casual tank modeler like myself. Also great for a newb. 
 Grab a Sherman or T-34, something olive drab that requires minimal paint and time investment. 

Tamiya 32595 1/48 US Medium Tank M4A3E8 Sherman Plastic Model Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4Y1C3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AvJIEbAG6H86C

Edited by Immel_man, 05 April 2020 - 07:52 PM.

Immel_man #9 Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

I finished this P-38 back in January, I just got around to photographing it (I'm terrible at editing, sorry in advance). Tamiya again, in 1/48th scale. this is a newly released kit, and the engineering is spectacular. I consider myself a painter less so than a builder, so I very much respect a well engineered model that doesn't slow me down from getting to the point I can pull out my airbrush and have fun. (more than one of my projects has bogged down and lingers on the shelf of doom at the sanding stage).

questions and comments are welcomed

Edited by Immel_man, 05 April 2020 - 08:00 PM.

wrecker1968 #10 Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 56025 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Great job. Awesome weathering.

Vantablack12 #11 Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

Crayon Eating World Champion

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 05 April 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

Social distancing has been a boon for my hobby time. Heres the T-55 I talked about back in January. the assembly is complete, I am trying to decide how much more dirt and grime it needs. 

It depends on where the tank was in service. If it was in Iraqi service then you should add dust and sand to it. If it was in Russian service then add lots of mud to the underside and tracks.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Vantablack12 #12 Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:41 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]
How do YOU deal with gaps in the model. Iv'e seen people use model paste, some just glued and squeezed the model together, and some glued little plastic shavings into the gaps.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Immel_man #13 Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 06 April 2020 - 05:38 AM, said:

It depends on where the tank was in service. If it was in Iraqi service then you should add dust and sand to it. If it was in Russian service then add lots of mud to the underside and tracks.

I meant visually is the model tied together. When I’m starting a technique say giving it a wash or building up layers of dust, I tend to work on an area rather than one application over the entire model. A person tends to, when starting a process, not vary much from the application method, like painting a house. One brush stroke over and over. That’s not how equipment gets used. Some parts of the vehicle get climbed over all day long some parts never get touched this you get different amounts of mud a dirt accumulated, different amounts of paint chips etc. so I try and work the same way. In specific area then move on to something different. It helps keep my brain from repeating one brush stroke Over the entire model. 

Immel_man #14 Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 06 April 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

How do YOU deal with gaps in the model. Iv'e seen people use model paste, some just glued and squeezed the model together, and some glued little plastic shavings into the gaps.

I try and avoid them in the first place. Test fit, test fit, test fit. 
 If there’s not a great fit at a joint can I use a little extra glue (hobby glue is basically methyl Ethel ketone, which melts plastic) extra glue means more melted plastic which might fill your gap. 

Water based putties are great for small steps or small gaps not so much as a filler. Excess can be removed with a damp q-tip and sands easily. It’s easy to work with. 

solvent based putties l, like my extra glue method, tend to etch and melt in to the plastic, I use this for  large steps that will need to be sanded to blend together. 

super glue is a great gap filler it’s strong and helps add material to weak points. Sanding it once cured can be a [edited]. 

One of the reasons I love this hobby is for the problem solving. Think blitz you’re constantly trying to figure out where to shoot what, when to run when to hold, who to help etc. just filling gaps, there’s different kinds of gaps in sensitive area or large easily sanded ones, different tools to fix certain problems, it’s problem solving. 

little_brother_of_war #15 Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:32 PM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 18741 battles
  • [FROST]
Nice work! :great:

Old cowboy saying...

”Yep...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Fortune cookie proverb...

”Face facts with dignity.”

Giddy up there, Buckeroo’s!   :B  

Vantablack12 #16 Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:46 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 06 April 2020 - 09:43 AM, said:

I meant visually is the model tied together. When I’m starting a technique say giving it a wash or building up layers of dust, I tend to work on an area rather than one application over the entire model. A person tends to, when starting a process, not vary much from the application method, like painting a house. One brush stroke over and over. That’s not how equipment gets used. Some parts of the vehicle get climbed over all day long some parts never get touched this you get different amounts of mud a dirt accumulated, different amounts of paint chips etc. so I try and work the same way. In specific area then move on to something different. It helps keep my brain from repeating one brush stroke Over the entire model. 

Oh, then yeah. It looks good to me!

Immel_man #17 Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

Seeing as how I had my light box set up I went ahead and started taking pictures of some of my older builds so as I could share them here.

Eduard 1/48 scale. Spitfire Mk. IX

Immel_man #18 Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]
I had a thought for some of you homebounds like myself, is anyone interested in doing a group build? We could pick something simple build it together while I post progress shots, tips, answer questions etc.

Vantablack12 #19 Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 06 April 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

I had a thought for some of you homebounds like myself, is anyone interested in doing a group build? We could pick something simple build it together while I post progress shots, tips, answer questions etc.

So we buy the same kit and build it together? You post pictures of progress, answer questions, and solve problems?

I'm not opposed to that!

By the way the Spitfire is really good!

Edited by Vantablack12, 06 April 2020 - 10:10 PM.

Immel_man #20 Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74265 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 06 April 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

So we buy the same kit and build it together? You post pictures of progress, answer questions, and solve problems?

I'm not opposed to that!

That’s what I was thinking. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users