immel_man's model page.

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

Vantablack12 #301 Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:00 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

Beautiful landscape! I can't wait to see what comes next on your Tiger!

I haven't given up on my Sherman. I had a really short budget, but I got my first job a few weeks ago so I have a little bit of spending cash.

I haven't bought anything I need yet, I'm waiting to go to a hobby shop in San Jose. Its the only plastic model hobby shop I've seen on the West coast so far.

Everything else has been an R/C Car Shop.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Bring back the in-game Forum link!

Immel_man #302 Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

hi friends. I have managed to find some time to pull out my 'ol trusty Iwata and lay down some paint. I left California with the base yellow down, and started work on the green and brown. I always work lite to dark, yellow, green then red brown. having finished the green, and started on the red brown, I had the sense of things not going as intended. The camouflage shape, for one, was not coming out as I had hoped, secondly the hue of the base yellow seemed incorrect for the tiger I was working on.

The RAL had several versions of their tri-tonal, yellow green red brown, some yellows being more khaki, some buff and some more mustard, for example. Not being happy with the results I decided to reshoot the base yellow in a different tone and start over. and here's where I am currently:

more to come!

Vantablack12 #303 Posted 24 August 2021 - 08:37 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

Looks awesome Immel!

The original base yellow did look a little to light. It looks much better with the re-sprayed base coat.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Immel_man #304 Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

thanks vantablack

Ive brushed up on my German camouflage color coding and while I think that the first shade is technically correct for the sPzAbt 501 late war deployment, it remains uncertain, like most documentation for late war Germany. In the instruction, tamiya has listed two color call outs for the yellow, so ill hang my hat on that. I chose the more mustard tone, because initially, I wanted to add a distempering white wash to the Tiger, and I thought the darker hued yellow would contrast more with the white, that is all. that is both the beauty and the curse of not having great documented resources, artistic license!

Immel_man #305 Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

The Camouflage is not finished, but I decided to give the air brushing a break and so I started in on the ambush pattern. I swear, the hardest part about this hobby for me is not repeating steps or brush strokes when im painting. In other words, making stuff look random as it should be. I digress..

Unfortunately after further reading about ambush patterns, it does not look like the red brown color was used for some reason. only the base dark yellow, and olive green were used, which is fine. It gives me a reason to touch up some camouflage from the hull that extended to the turret that did not line up like I had wanted.

always one step back, two steps forward.

Immel_man #306 Posted 04 September 2021 - 11:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

Whenever I reach a point where I am unsure as to how things are progressing, I always take a break and make sure "fixing" is the answer. Ive often found going backwards akin to opening a can of worms. I dont know why that is, but I tend to make way more work for myself, get frustrated and shelve a project. I did however decide that I did not like the progress of the ambush scheme and I wanted to touch up some of the camouflage pattern. 

Another burr in my saddle, was that most of these ambush schemes had a harder edge to the camouflage than what I can produce with my airbrush. when masking is required I use a putty like product that Elmers advertises as a tape substitute. its called poster tack, and how I use it is to roll out long strips and lay it on the model in the shape of the camouflage pattern, but with all of the fine photo etch bits all over this model I wrote that off an option. I came up with a solution while solving another problem. I was hand painting the ambush dots, using the lacquer based paints I used for the camouflage, not liking the way they were behaving, I dug through my acrylic paints and started mixing colors to match. this gave me the idea to thin down the acrylic paints to say 70:30 water to paint, and touch up the overspray/soft edge from my airbrush work. I am pleased with the results and progress is being made.

Here we are with the scheme touched up, the camouflage edges hardened, and the ambush pattern applied (by hand).

You'll recall from my previous post that the ambush pattern had a method to the madness being the base yellow "dots" over the green and red brown, while both red and green dots were used over the base yellow. Im calling this fixed. 

as she sits now, everything feels very toy like with the fresh camouflage, I hope to begin weathering tonight and that should start to bring this project to life. 

Edited by Immel_man, 04 September 2021 - 11:14 PM.

Vantablack12 #307 Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

I think I'm gonna call it done for now. Maybe I'll weather it more later, but I want to move on to other projects.

Sorry for the quality; I'm using my ancient Iphone to take the pictures.

Vantablack12 #308 Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:37 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

Also check this out!

I'm planning to go. I don't know if I'll enter anything into the contest, but It will be cool to see other people's models.

Immel_man #309 Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]
Well done vantablack. It sure feel good to cross the finish line, doesn’t it?
The hornet isn’t far from where I am at, I’m certainly intrigued. DM me on discord, maybe we can meet up.

Vantablack12 #310 Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:25 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 15 September 2021 - 04:18 PM, said:

Well done vantablack. It sure feel good to cross the finish line, doesn’t it?
The hornet isn’t far from where I am at, I’m certainly intrigued. DM me on discord, maybe we can meet up.

It sure does!

The Hornet isn't far me either. 

Immel_man #311 Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

hello friends, I have been making progress with the tiger, just haven't been doing a very good job of keeping everyone up to date. 

With the Camouflage done, my next step is to add a filter. A filter is a very thin layer over color I add over the entire surface of the model to help harmonize the the colors. For Germans tri color camos I like to use oil paints. abtiellung 502 ochre and sepia were used to give me a dark mustard color, again highly thinned, this was brushed over the entire surface. Easy and subtle.

Next I broke out the wet pallet and my fist fulls of Vallejo color to start chipping, scratching, and picking out details. Chips and scratches are done first with the base color yellow over the red brown or green colors. Next with in those areas I will add a dark brown. to think about this consider the order in which the colors sit atop of each other. Metal then primer (red), base yellow, then field color camouflage. When scratched and chipped the color order is reversed, showing first the yellow, then the deepest part of the scratch or chip being down to the metal. 

Hand tools, tow cables etc were then picked out.

Mapping comes next. mapping is a technique used to depth to the subject. Highly thin greens, browns, and buff colors were used over the camouflage to break up the mono tones of each color. horizontal surface colors fade quicker than do vertical so I start on the turret roof and the roof of the hull. start with small areas and build up. 

here is where things stand at the moment:

posed with the figures for inspiration. 

To seal the progress thats been made, and prep the model for decals, a gloss coat of future is next.

Vantablack12 #312 Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:09 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

Still looking amazing Immel! I can't wait for the finished product!

Immel_man #313 Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 81397 battles
  • [YODA_]

Hello friends. when last I updated everyone, the base painting had been completed and the Tiger was ready for gloss coating. 

Since then the Tiger received said gloss coat, followed by decals and a heavy wash. With those steps finished a flat coat was then sprayed to seal everything up.

Now comes the hard part/ fun stuff, weathering. AFV's are all together a different kettle of fish than air equipment. They get used and maintained in different manners and degrees. With my long history of building plastic models, 95% of it has been airplane related, and such my brain is wired to think that way. I enjoy the challenge of having to think about armored fighting vehicles in a different manner than I am accustomed to with my airplane kits, however there are many techniques that I have yet to master, let alone become proficient in. Working with pigments being first and foremost. Ground equipment tends to accumulate lots of dust and grease and mud, throw in rain or snow that mixes everything together and there are distinct steps needed to replicate these events. back to pigments; for those of you that dont know, pigments are like pastels but much finer in size, opacity and quality. More than one company has special formulations of earth tones made of pigments. I have yet to grasp the use of pigments despite it being a staple of AFV molders. With each piece of armor I always give it a good try and never come out with results I like, some are more passable than others. 

With the tiger at the point where I've reached the point to weather the lower hull, I brushed up on some of the techniques other molders use successfully. I mixed my colors, placed them on the lower hull and fixed them in place. I waited anxiously for them to dry to judge the results and when all was said and done; not happy. I slept on things and decided to strip my work and try again. lots of enamel thinner and qtips later. I attempted again. This time layer different color pigments to represent dust, caked on dirt and drying mud. This time the results were much closer to what I was looking for. I decided however to push my luck as this tiger is to be white washed for winter deployment I figured the lower hull needed some snow.big buzzer sound. Strip and sleep on it. I tell you friends I was this close to shelving the project when I recalled very early in my AFV days before discovering pigments a technique I used to achieve the same results. plaster tinted with thin enamel paints. For whatever reason this method is much easier for me. Ill be sure to post pictures of this soon.

Having reached a point where new processes are to be used I cleaned off my desk and decided to dry fit the wheels and tracks to keep me motivated to push on. 

Vantablack12 #314 Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:46 AM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18021 battles
  • [K9]

Looking even closer to being finished!

Do you have any experience with metal tracks and gun barrels? Do they paint the same as plastic or do I need a special primer for them?

I've got a Tiger II from Dragon that I'm leaving in my closet till I'm confident I can paint it nicely. I'm just wondering If its worth the trouble of ordering metal tracks for it or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users