PaperPlatoonCommander #282 Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:17 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17430 battles
  • [47PNZ]

View PostImmel_man, on 16 April 2021 - 09:11 AM, said:

Can’t wait to see it!

Me too!

It’s not the size of the tank in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the tank. Unless yours is bigger than mine.

Vantablack12 #283 Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:42 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

I used Gunze 1200 Grey Surface Primer and AK 3rd Gen Olive Drab; all thinned with Mr. Color Self Leveling Thinner. 

Sorry the images are kinda big and might be a tiny bit discolored. 

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Bring back the in-game Forum link!

PaperPlatoonCommander #284 Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:11 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17430 battles
  • [47PNZ]
Nice job on the Sherman, the tank itself and the color looks great.
It’s not the size of the tank in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the tank. Unless yours is bigger than mine.

Immel_man #285 Posted 23 April 2021 - 03:38 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]
Looking good vantablack

wrecker1968 #286 Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:44 AM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 60788 battles
  • [HOUSE]
This thread keeps on getting better. Please keep the photos coming.  I look forward to it. Great job.

Immel_man #287 Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]

hello friends; I haven't forgotten about you guys! spring arrived early for us and that means work did too. we've been busily planting rice here in California. I have been managing a little blitzing, and a little painting, mostly the figures. here they are almost finished.

toothpick for scale.

and posing with their mount. :)

and me with my mount;

eat rice, potatoes make your butt big.

Vantablack12 #288 Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

The model, figures, and the landscape are all beautiful!

Are those any specific mountains/hills in the backround if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Vantablack12, 04 May 2021 - 05:29 PM.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Immel_man #289 Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:43 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 03 May 2021 - 10:49 AM, said:

The model, figures, and the landscape are all beautiful!

Are those any specific mountains/hills in the backround if you don't mind me asking?

The Sutter buttes. 

Vantablack12 #290 Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 06 May 2021 - 06:43 PM, said:

The Sutter buttes. 

Looks like a nice hike!

PaperPlatoonCommander #291 Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17430 battles
  • [47PNZ]
Wow those details on the figures are great!

Vantablack12 #292 Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:02 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

Alright, I'm breaking the silence.

I have been working on my Sherman off and on for the past couple weeks, but I've hit a road block.

I have painted the roadwheels and a few minor details and that went fine and it all looks great.

Now heres my trouble; I applied a layer of varnish to the model so as to prepare it for Tamiya Panel liner. I applied the panel liner and used Testors Enamel thinner to remove the excess. As im using a Q-tip that has very little thinner, it starts removing paint. I'm not sure what my problem is. I can think of a number of things such as: too little varnsih, too aggresive thinner, maybe I used the wrong type of varnish. 

I haven't ruined it, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Immel_man #293 Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]
Glad to hear you’re still after vantablack. I have to get to august for work to die down enough to sit back down at my desk.

Regarding your troubles, if I knew what kind of varnish you put down I could possibly narrow it down. If the varnish was enamel based, using a same type thinner will be the problem. I have never used tamiyas pre made panel wash so I can’t say how you should go about removing excess. A couple of pictures could be helpful too.

My method is to use future floor wax as my gloss coat. It’s extremely durable and very glossy. For panel washes I use artist oils thinned with Windsor Newton mineral spirits. The mixture is very thin like dirty water and can be cleaned up with my finger or dry qtip. If hard to reach spots require a heavier hand a qtip that has the essence of mineral spirits usually does the trick. Hope that helps.

Vantablack12 #294 Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:10 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 19 June 2021 - 10:54 AM, said:

Glad to hear you’re still after vantablack. I have to get to august for work to die down enough to sit back down at my desk.

Regarding your troubles, if I knew what kind of varnish you put down I could possibly narrow it down. If the varnish was enamel based, using a same type thinner will be the problem. I have never used tamiyas pre made panel wash so I can’t say how you should go about removing excess. A couple of pictures could be helpful too.

My method is to use future floor wax as my gloss coat. It’s extremely durable and very glossy. For panel washes I use artist oils thinned with Windsor Newton mineral spirits. The mixture is very thin like dirty water and can be cleaned up with my finger or dry qtip. If hard to reach spots require a heavier hand a qtip that has the essence of mineral spirits usually does the trick. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for respoding!

I used Vallejo Matte Varnish. I have read of using Future floor wax for the gloss coat, but I had see that a few people had bad experiences with the new stuff.

I also have seen people use artists oils and that seems to be the better method. I will have to give it a try.

Immel_man #295 Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]
First thing vantablack, is that you’ll want a gloss coat for panel washes and decals. The glossy surface helps the decals adhere to the surface. For the panel washes the glossy surface acts like a frozen pond, instead of a sand box. The sand box (surface) just absorbs and diffuses washes. A glossy surface promotes “flow” of the wash.

PaperPlatoonCommander #296 Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:17 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17430 battles
  • [47PNZ]
Can’t wait to see the tank done, good luck with your painting.

Vantablack12 #297 Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:32 AM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 17944 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 19 June 2021 - 04:07 PM, said:

First thing vantablack, is that you’ll want a gloss coat for panel washes and decals. The glossy surface helps the decals adhere to the surface. For the panel washes the glossy surface acts like a frozen pond, instead of a sand box. The sand box (surface) just absorbs and diffuses washes. A glossy surface promotes “flow” of the wash.

Thats a good way to put it! I will remember that.

Immel_man #298 Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]
I also forgot to mention that Vallejo paints (any latex based acrylic really) are pretty weak and require a lite touch when going over it with stronger mediums ie enamel or lacquer. It can be done, but I don’t recommend it. Mineral spirits aren’t nearly as hot as lacquer or enamel and thus you can apply that (mostly worry free) over the top of weaker mediums like latex based acrylics.
My guess is that the damage was done only to the Vallejo matte and not to the paint underneath. I would think that a big fan brush dipped in some water could remove the matte coat. From there I would apply a gloss coat. If future isn’t an option I would look for a lacquer based rattle can formula. I think testors and tamiya both have products that fit that description. Decals next, then start in on your panel wash.

Edited by Immel_man, 21 June 2021 - 12:24 PM.

Immel_man #299 Posted 17 August 2021 - 06:36 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 80570 battles
  • [YODA_]

hello friends. I didn't forget about you all. I'm not sure I shared the fact that I took some work out of state (Illinois) and I'm back and have been blitzing and ready to dive back in to the Tiger II. in the mean time here's a few pictures I took from my time in the midwest helping out my fellow crop dusters with their busy season.

Im sure this scenery is not anything new to a lot of you but for a westerner like myself it was novel. I enjoyed all the greenery, the fireflies (id never seen one), the pop up rain showers, and the seas of corn and soy beans. hope all is well and ill be sure to post pictures of plastic as soon as I get some chores out of the way.

whatzup22 #300 Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:50 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3125 battles
I live in a crowded city with no hills and plains, so all this greenery is basically heaven to me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users