367 replies to this topic

__Calamity #321 Posted 10 November 2021 - 06:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6679 battles
  • [-NV]

View PostVantablack12, on 10 November 2021 - 11:08 AM, said:

Is it made by "Lindburg"?

Yes, yes it is. I bought it form some hobby lobby. 

As a child me and my dad loved building model airplanes. 

Edited by Droodles_Little_Noodle, 10 November 2021 - 06:55 PM.

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

The more you take, the less you have

Immel_man #322 Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85715 battles
  • [YODA_]
Well done guys. Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Forgive me guys for the lack of updates, i had a mishap that derailed me. My father always said my turn was coming, I’m guessing this is what he meant; one evening right before Immel jr’s bedtime, he jumped up in my lap while working on the tiger and grabbed a bottle of lacquer thinner I had out. I managed to stop him before showering the whole work bench. He did sprinkle the tiger enough to damage the paint job. I attempted to fix it but got frustrated by the situation that I stripped the whole thing. Out of frustration I’ve set the mode aside to figure out what’s next.
I am determined to finish it so I’ll be sure to resume posting updates when I can gather up enough motivation to dive back in. 

Edited by Immel_man, 12 November 2021 - 03:25 AM.

Vantablack12 #323 Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:58 AM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 11 November 2021 - 07:25 PM, said:

Well done guys. Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Forgive me guys for the lack of updates, i had a mishap that derailed me. My father always said my turn was coming, I’m guessing this is what he meant; one evening right before Immel jr’s bedtime, he jumped up in my lap while working on the tiger and grabbed a bottle of lacquer thinner I had out. I managed to stop him before showering the whole work bench. He did sprinkle the tiger enough to damage the paint job. I attempted to fix it but got frustrated by the situation that I stripped the whole thing. Out of frustration I’ve set the mode aside to figure out what’s next.
I am determined to finish it so I’ll be sure to resume posting updates when I can gather up enough motivation to dive back in. 

No need to be sorry. We undrstand that you have a family and a job; and modelling isn't everything to life.

Perhaps this repaint will be better than the previous paint job. Keep at it, I'm sure it will be amazing once its done!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne.

Bring back the in-game Forum link!

__Calamity #324 Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6679 battles
  • [-NV]

View PostImmel_man, on 11 November 2021 - 08:25 PM, said:

hm. Why don't you have him help you with the modeling. Teach him how to do it. Its a good way to bond with your children

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

Vantablack12 #325 Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:38 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]

View PostDroodles_Little_Noodle, on 12 November 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

hm. Why don't you have him help you with the modeling. Teach him how to do it. Its a good way to bond with your children

Maybe he was. Maybe thats why Immel Jr. got into Immel's lap. My family likes to ask questions and see what I'm doing with my models. So its not out of the ordinary for people to be curious. Just goes to show how fascinating this hobby is!

AdderaII #326 Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:30 AM

Can’t Pass Without it!

• Players
  • 34287 battles
  • [OGRE]

I was directed here by Droodles_Little_Noodle, but I had the impression this thread was about a different kind of "model".

carry on.

The player formerly known as, Adderall4life

Immel_man #327 Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85715 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostDroodles_Little_Noodle, on 12 November 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

He’s two and a half. 

__Calamity #328 Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6679 battles
  • [-NV]

View PostImmel_man, on 13 November 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

He’s two and a half. 

age is just a number :B

Unicum, Don't Unicum

jahawa #329 Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]
There are many nuances to model building that I seem to come across, as I looked to get more detailed. I'm looking for a good acrylic, gloss base coat for putting my decals on. Or is enamel better and stay away from acrylics. I've been trying to switch to acrylics more for my airbrush....easier to clean.

Vantablack12 #330 Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:14 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]

View Postjahawa, on 23 November 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

There are many nuances to model building that I seem to come across, as I looked to get more detailed. I'm looking for a good acrylic, gloss base coat for putting my decals on. Or is enamel better and stay away from acrylics. I've been trying to switch to acrylics more for my airbrush....easier to clean.

I've heard great things about Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III. Tamiya's X-22 gloss clear works also.

You should use both enamel and acrylic. The general rule for which paint type should be used first is: Laquer, Enamel, and then Acrylic.

You can skip the laquer, its not required. I've been using acrylics for the whole model and haven't run into any issues yet.

jahawa #331 Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostVantablack12, on 23 November 2021 - 12:14 PM, said:

I've heard great things about Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III. Tamiya's X-22 gloss clear works also.

You should use both enamel and acrylic. The general rule for which paint type should be used first is: Laquer, Enamel, and then Acrylic.

You can skip the laquer, its not required. I've been using acrylics for the whole model and haven't run into any issues yet.

Thanks for that. I'm getting better at detailing and weathering, but have a long ways to go.

Vantablack12 #332 Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]

View Postjahawa, on 23 November 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Thanks for that. I'm getting better at detailing and weathering, but have a long ways to go.

I haven't attempted weathering yet. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself and try to do compilcated painting techniques. I'm not ready for that yet.

Immel_man #333 Posted 25 November 2021 - 04:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85715 battles
  • [YODA_]

View Postjahawa, on 23 November 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

I had some more detailed writings earlier in the thread but from the “hottest” to the least is lacquer, enamel, acrylic. What that means is that you can put acrylic over lacquer or enamel. You can put enamel over lacquer but you (as a general rule that’s not a hard rule) you should spray a lacquer over enamel or acrylic. 
tamiyas clear gloss is pretty good. X-22 I think. It should be thinned with alcohol or tamiyas thinner. Try adding a drop or two of ammonia to make the finish even smoother. 

Immel_man #334 Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85715 battles
  • [YODA_]
Jahawa  it also depends on the acrylics. If you’re using latex based paints (Vallejo, mission some AK) I would avoid anything but acrylic gloss.
Tamiya and gunze are “acrylics” but are formulated differently, they tend to hold up much better to top coats of lacquer and enamel.

jahawa #335 Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 25 November 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

I had some more detailed writings earlier in the thread but from the “hottest” to the least is lacquer, enamel, acrylic. What that means is that you can put acrylic over lacquer or enamel. You can put enamel over lacquer but you (as a general rule that’s not a hard rule) you should spray a lacquer over enamel or acrylic. 
tamiyas clear gloss is pretty good. X-22 I think. It should be thinned with alcohol or tamiyas thinner. Try adding a drop or two of ammonia to make the finish even smoother. 

View PostImmel_man, on 25 November 2021 - 12:07 PM, said:

Jahawa it also depends on the acrylics. If you’re using latex based paints (Vallejo, mission some AK) I would avoid anything but acrylic gloss.
Tamiya and gunze are “acrylics” but are formulated differently, they tend to hold up much better to top coats of lacquer and enamel.

Immel_man,

Thanks. That is very helpful. I watch videos and it's amazing what some of these guys do.  Don't think I'm that dedicated. It's a fun sideline, when I don't want to do manual labor.....

Immel_man #336 Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85715 battles
  • [YODA_]

alright friends, enough rest was given to our beleaguered Tiger for a repaint. I learned early on when repainting a model to not try and replicate the particular subject. its bad juju. I dont know why, its just best to start over. My problem was that late 44 king tiger schemes are fairly limited. After much scouring the inter webs, I decided to go a different direction. I have always admired the late late war German octopus camo schemes and while the crew is in winter fatigues, there being so little documentation of the octopus camo gives me a little wiggle room. hey maybe they had a late winter/early spring snow last night which is why they're all bundled up.

anyways here's my work:

Vantablack12 #337 Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:28 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]
Exciting! I always thought the late war camos were cool. What is this, your third repaint now?

jahawa #338 Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

Immel_man,

I'm looking at your repaint pics of the Tiger. I was wondering how you started over. I've been working on a Lockheed T-33, trying to duplicate a weathered aluminum look. I tried a black base coat of Testors oil base. and came back over with a chrome paint. I have worked it, highlighted it, and it just sucks. I did a F-104 in the aluminum scheme before this and it came out much better.

I think the main problem I had with the T-33 vs the F-104 is I didn't get a smooth finish with my airbrush. I've tried lightly sanding with 800 grit. I've tried smoothing out the rough finish with paint thinner, but it takes everything off, which is what I guess I need to do. So how do you start over with oil base paints?

Vantablack12 #339 Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:15 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18614 battles
  • [K9]

jahawa

Here is a video about painting NMF (Natural Metal Finish). 

https://www.youtube....h?v=hndDK7WQQeY

I hope this helps. 

jahawa #340 Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostVantablack12, on 14 December 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

jahawa

Here is a video about painting NMF (Natural Metal Finish). 

https://www.youtube....h?v=hndDK7WQQeY

I hope this helps. 

Thanks Vantablack12.

Very detailed. I can see I have a lot to learn for this process...

Edited by jahawa, 16 December 2021 - 07:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users