immel_man's model page.

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

Immel_man #341 Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]
Jahawa - I stripped mine with tamiya lacquer thinner dumped out in an old cool whip tub.

Regarding the weathered aluminum look you’re going after, it would be helpful to share some pics or links with what you’re trying to duplicate.

Natural metal finish is kind of its own methodology.

jahawa #342 Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 18 December 2021 - 04:07 PM, said:

Jahawa - I stripped mine with tamiya lacquer thinner dumped out in an old cool whip tub.

Regarding the weathered aluminum look you’re going after, it would be helpful to share some pics or links with what you’re trying to duplicate.

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/311827/57-760/70760

This is a pic of the T-33 I am trying to duplicate. It's the same one displayed at our local VFW hall. I am looking for the aluminum polished look, but weathered to the degree that it's not a mirror.

Here is a link to some F-104's deployed during Vietnam. I've finished this model and did a much better job of duplicating these examples. But I still have a long way to go.

https://www.i-f-s.nl/da-nang-aircraft-part-2/

jahawa #343 Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 18 December 2021 - 04:07 PM, said:

You soak the tank in it? I've been brushing paint thinner on the top of one of my wings on the T-33, trying to remove some of the poor airbrush application.

Here's a link for a pic of T-33 from 1980 that's on display at our local VFW. I am trying to get a semi-polished aluminum look. Not show room quality but more of a dull aluminum look.

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/311827/57-760/70760

Here is a link to some F-104's that were deployed to Vietnam in the mid 60's. I finished this model and actually was more happy with it than my T-33.

https://www.i-f-s.nl/da-nang-aircraft-part-2/

Immel_man #344 Posted 20 December 2021 - 08:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]
Jahawa, base coating with gloss black will give you a highly polished aluminum look.
The T-33 in the pictures you sent look very flat, which good news for you makes it easy. I’d rattle can on some tamiya flat aluminum and call it good. The same results can be achieved with a bottle of flat aluminum airbrushed on if you prefer.

My tiger has no painted interior to have worried about which is why a bath in lacquer thinner was easy (and effective). An interior on your T-33 makes a bath less feasible. You can probably take a tooth brush dipped in lacquer and start scrubbing but it’s still going to be tricky.
Another option is to just start painting over the current finish with flat aluminum.

jahawa #345 Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 20 December 2021 - 03:33 PM, said:

Jahawa, base coating with gloss black will give you a highly polished aluminum look.
The T-33 in the pictures you sent look very flat, which good news for you makes it easy. I’d rattle can on some tamiya flat aluminum and call it good. The same results can be achieved with a bottle of flat aluminum airbrushed on if you prefer.

My tiger has no painted interior to have worried about which is why a bath in lacquer thinner was easy (and effective). An interior on your T-33 makes a bath less feasible. You can probably take a tooth brush dipped in lacquer and start scrubbing but it’s still going to be tricky.
Another option is to just start painting over the current finish with flat aluminum.

Thanks.

Vantablack12 #346 Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:48 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18616 battles
  • [K9]

I refuse to let this thread die. 

I have started on another project. I actually started more than one, but I didn't take pictures of anything.

I'm trying to dabble in all areas of modelling; so far I've tried Armor, Aircraft, and Ships. Now I'm working on Revell's VW Beetle.

I'll try to upload as many pictures as I can.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne.

Bring back the in-game Forum link!

Immel_man #347 Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]
Thanks vantablack. I’ve been back at my work bench too. I just haven’t done much to document it. I’ll be sure to start taking some pictures and start sharing again.

jahawa #348 Posted 29 January 2022 - 02:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostVantablack12, on 12 January 2022 - 11:48 AM, said:

I refuse to let this thread die. 

I have started on another project. I actually started more than one, but I didn't take pictures of anything.

I'm trying to dabble in all areas of modelling; so far I've tried Armor, Aircraft, and Ships. Now I'm working on Revell's VW Beetle.

I'll try to upload as many pictures as I can.

I've got several projects going right now, but have been too busy at work to make any progress. In early January I went to a IPMS show in New Braunfels, Tx close to San Antonio. The quality of the models on display was amazing. There was a large room of vendors selling models, books, decals, etc. I had a blast. My wife was even impressed with it.

The funny thing about shows like this is it either makes you want to improve or quit....Lol.

Vantablack12 #349 Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:39 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18616 battles
  • [K9]

Alright, I curbed the Beetle for now, I started on Academy's 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk CV-63, and Tamiya's 1/48 scale M1A2 Abrams.

I only took pictures of the Abrams for now, but I'll be back soon with Kitty Hawk pictures.

So far the Abrams is the most enjoyable kit I've built up to this point. Everything fits perfect, it has very nicely molded details including the anti-slip coating on the upper surface of the tank, almost zero flash on anything, it has the same type of tracks used on the Sherman kit we built, but this time I didn't screw it up.

Not pictured are the road wheels. They weren't very difficult to clean up. 

jahawa #350 Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]
Vantablack have fun with it. Glad you got a project going.

Immel_man #351 Posted 27 March 2022 - 06:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]

hello friends. its been too long. A lot has been going on in my personal life so forgive me for not posting anything in some time. As many of you know my family has (had) a crop dusting business. well too many broken airplanes and droughts later my parents decided to get out while they still could and sold the business over the winter. As you could imagine thats a bit of a life direction changing event. Typically my hobbies are an escape from the stresses of reality but for the last four to five months I couldn't sit down at my work bench with out being sucked back in to said realities. 

More recently however, my brain has calmed enough that I was able to get some work done on the Tiger.

I believe, since last update, I started and finished chipping, washes, and weathering the lower hull. With such infrequency that the weathering as a whole feels a bit disjointed. However, with a finish line in sight, I feel a renewed sense to complete this project in a manner worth of the effort ive put in to it thus far.

okay enough blah blah blah.

It feels good to see it sitting on tracks, so im feeling motivated. stay tuned...

Vantablack12 #352 Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:13 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18616 battles
  • [K9]

Looks amazing Immel! No need for apologies; life is bigger than models and videogames.

I cant wait for the final result!

jahawa #353 Posted 13 April 2022 - 08:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 27 March 2022 - 01:49 PM, said:

hello friends. its been too long. A lot has been going on in my personal life so forgive me for not posting anything in some time. As many of you know my family has (had) a crop dusting business. well too many broken airplanes and droughts later my parents decided to get out while they still could and sold the business over the winter. As you could imagine thats a bit of a life direction changing event. Typically my hobbies are an escape from the stresses of reality but for the last four to five months I couldn't sit down at my work bench with out being sucked back in to said realities. 

More recently however, my brain has calmed enough that I was able to get some work done on the Tiger.

I believe, since last update, I started and finished chipping, washes, and weathering the lower hull. With such infrequency that the weathering as a whole feels a bit disjointed. However, with a finish line in sight, I feel a renewed sense to complete this project in a manner worth of the effort ive put in to it thus far.

okay enough blah blah blah.

It feels good to see it sitting on tracks, so im feeling motivated. stay tuned...

Looks good Immelman. I've got about a year left before I retire from 40+ years in aviation. The last 15 have been in corporate. What airplanes did y'all fly? Did you do the flying? I was always fascinated by Ag flying. I had 7AC Champ back in the early 80's I learned to fly in after I got my license. It's been an interesting run, but am ready to get off the travel all over the world train....

Immel_man #354 Posted 16 April 2022 - 02:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]

thanks jahawa. I've operated all models of air tractors. last few years ive been flying a 602 model.

Am I to infer youre a bus driver? 

jahawa #355 Posted 16 April 2022 - 03:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostImmel_man, on 15 April 2022 - 09:21 PM, said:

thanks jahawa. I've operated all models of air tractors. last few years ive been flying a 602 model.

Am I to infer youre a bus driver? 

Yea, a bus driver I be....always wanted the airline job for the schedule. Been flying GIV/GV with a charter/management company since '07. It's getting old. The 602 is a cool machine. Looks like it can carry quite the load. I flew freight in DC-3's back in the 80's. We could carry 7500#s. Loved the airplane but hated the schedule. All night flying 5 days a week. I was a demo pilot for the AMI turbine 3 back in the 90's. That was fun.

I always thought Ag flying would be fun, but I know it's hot with long hours during the season. Are you going to keep flying/?

Immel_man #356 Posted 16 April 2022 - 03:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 85739 battles
  • [YODA_]
DC-3s to gulf streams is quite the span of equipment. Had to google ami turbine. Now that looks like a hot rod. I had no idea they were hanging turbines on DC-3s.
I love ag flying. I get my stack of jobs to do in the morning, put my helmet on then go to work. Rarely am I bothered with others tedium. Which is the thing I’ve found with the best jobs is the thing that ruins it, other people crap. Ag flying, it’s just me.
If you find a good seat it’s the greatest job ever. My employer keeps new equipment, we work off of a private runway, they feed us, and put us up. I’ve opted for the “corn run” which is roughly 6 weeks but my families business here in California would get 600 hours spread out over the year. And there’s everything in between.
The 602 was Airtractors last designed airplane and it’s the one they finally got right. It’s the closest to hopper capacity v horsepower in the fleet.
The industry is always looking for pilots, shoot me a message if you’re at all interested. Immel_man#7506
It’s work, don’t get me wrong, but gone are the days of hot uncomfortable airplanes. I have AC and Bluetooth, digital gauges, and Spotify on my phone.

Vantablack12 #357 Posted 23 April 2022 - 12:38 AM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18616 battles
  • [K9]

I have bad news and good news. About a month ago, I had accompanied my family to LA where my dad was attending a conference. Before we left I realized that I had made a mistake by glueing the side-skirts to the Abrams. I couldn't attach the tracks and wheels with them on. So I painfully removed them and stripped the paint I had applied. I left it until we got back and began all over again. Fast forward a week and I began repainting it. I had applied the basecoat to everything and was about to start postshading when I thought,"hey! Where are the side-skirts?" I had put them somewhere where they couldn't be damaged, but after forgetting about them for a whole week I had no recollection of where that place I put them was! I spent many hours scouring my garage for them with no success. I had lost them; and I still haven't found them. So my Abrams project ground to a halt. 

The good news is while we were in LA I got to go to a hobby store and purchased myself Amusing Hobby's 1/35 E-100!

I have a few pictures of the early stages of painting, but forgot to take picture of it between that and weathering.

The detail and the parts are very nice; the hull and turret have a nice machined texture.

I have a few problems with the kit. The workable tracks are nice, but the tiny nubs that hold the tracks together is incredibly weak, the workable suspension is a nice feature and I nice idea, but they executed the idea very poorly, the individual plastic springs are difficult to clean and the swing arm that connects wheel to spring doesn't fit well into the hull, they become very tight and very difficult to move (I could go on for a very long time about the suspension; it just kinda sucks).,

both upper hull and lower hull had a slight warp, but it wasn't and issue once they were glued, the turret is unable to rotate 360 degrees because of the engine deck,

and finally the sprue of tools was not made for this kit (it was made for their Panzer VII Lowe) and the instruction don't tell you where to put any of the tools.

I will post pictures of it soon. Next project will be Revell's 1/48 B-17G!

jahawa #358 Posted 10 June 2022 - 01:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20833 battles
  • [SPUD]

Checking in. My model building has been on hold for awhile, with tending to gardening and flying a lot. Hope all are doing well.

I also started the restoration of my grandads 1954 Ford NAA tractor. I learned to drive that tractor in the '60's. It will be a 2-3 year project, and I have too many projects going right now....

Learning to fly my RC's has also been on my list....Lol.

Vantablack12 #359 Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:46 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18616 battles
  • [K9]

View Postjahawa, on 10 June 2022 - 05:38 AM, said:

Checking in. My model building has been on hold for awhile, with tending to gardening and flying a lot. Hope all are doing well.

I also started the restoration of my grandads 1954 Ford NAA tractor. I learned to drive that tractor in the '60's. It will be a 2-3 year project, and I have too many projects going right now....

Learning to fly my RC's has also been on my list....Lol.

I looked up a picture of that tractor. It looks awesome! 

My model building has been still moving forward nice and slow. If I don't go really slow, I have a really bad habit of getting ahead of myself and making big mistakes.

I'll try to get some pictures up, its just a pain in the butt to download them, resize them, put them on imgur, then put them here one by one. I gotta stop being lazy.

JackSparrow_665 #360 Posted 11 June 2022 - 11:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10 battles
Wow, this page is like crack to me, all of the models here look amazing. I do feel bad for your wallet though. 

I'd rather die standing than live kneeling 

Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong.
"You'll never catch me alive!" said he
https://www.youtube....?v=FqtttbbYfSM 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users