immel_man's model page.

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Immel_man #61 Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]

its been awhile since I've had the motivation to pick up any plastic or paint. I go through spurts like this, where I convince myself that I just don't have enough time to complete a step or procedure. Blitz is so much easier to kill 15 minutes with no commitment beyond the 7 min battle, and if I have more time mash it again. believe me though, this isn't the only project to languish on the shelf 'o doom. 

I did badger myself in to closing blitz and picking up where I left off when last we spoke... finishing touches.

In my hobby there are many good builders and historians but I consider myself an artist. Its in the gun smoke, mud and oil that plastic comes alive. 

I love working with artist oil paints. they blend well, working time is nice and long, have excellent opacities, and being a different medium than the acrylics we sprayed the model with, will not react with the paint underneath.

in this first picture I have some black and raw umber that ill use in various mixtures to represent engine oil grease and general grime. Ive cut some scrap cardboard for a pallet. 

I have various sized brushes to facilitate blending and streaking. 

I start by wetting my brush in thinner then loading up a fine 00 brush with paint. lightly and in the direction of air flow I will apply some engine oil leaking from a fastener or hatch.

The undersides of airplanes especially around the nose is where you'll find a lot of streaks for the obvious reasons. this is where I tend to focus. 

next comes the clean up part. from here, ill take a new clean brush dip it in terpenoid, and dry it on some tissue paper. in the same direction I start blending and pulling on the streaks I just applied. 

on the underside of the of mid fuselage I took a damp with thinner brush and applied thinner in a slip stream manner. with my paint brush I apply paint in the direction of the slip stream. Same paints, same thinner, different visuals . 

next we'll talk paint chipping.

Vantablack12 #62 Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:32 AM

Crayon Eating World Champion

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

Beautifully done Immel! 

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

RonaldusMaximus_ #63 Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

Self-Righteous Prick

• Players
  • 17497 battles
  • [III-C]

Bump because I am tired of seeing another "I'm Quitting" post on the front page.

Also... that plane looks terrific!

Edited by RonaldusMaximus_, 25 August 2020 - 02:07 PM.

Immel_man #64 Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]

Chipping! Heavy equipment in general takes a beating. especially frontline military equipment. This step is easy and effective, I have a silver prisma color pencil that I use for this step. My moto is there is no chip too small. I start by dotting "I's" and build up to bigger areas. Check your references for patterns specific to your subject, wing and prop leading edges, wing root (walking areas) hatches and fasteners are all prime spots to scuff or chip paint. 

The backside of propellor blades tend to take a beating:

More could be thrown at this one, but I've lost some time and motivation and Mrs. Immel will be dropping kid number 2 and time now so I want to finish this one up. The final small bits are all that's left and when I get a chance I shall set up my photo booth and take some proper pictures of this one.

wrecker1968 #65 Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:19 AM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 56025 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Thank you with the tips, And congratulations with number 2

Vantablack12 #66 Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]
Congrats on child two! 

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel

"We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks." -General George Patton

Vantablack12 #67 Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:40 AM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]
Hows the 109 coming along immel?

Immel_man #68 Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 18 October 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

Hows the 109 coming along immel?

It’s all but done. I ended up taking a flying job in Texas for the month of October so I apologize for the lack of updates, but I’m home now and when I get some free moments I’ll photograph the finished model. 

now, who’s up for a group build? 

Immel_man #69 Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]
Here’s what I’m thinking for those of you interested; Sherman group build. I’m going to build a 1/48 scale. Far fewer parts quick to the fun stage. Cheaper, less complicated build. If you wish to deviate from that it’s quite alright, but the beauty of the group build is we’ll all be working on the same project with similar complications, questions, and answers.

Tamiya makes quite a few variants of the Sherman. I’m considering a firefly or an easy 8.
I’m thinking of setting a target start date for December 1, possibly Jan 1, giving everyone time to gather up kits and supplies. Please post here for those of you who want to participate.

Edited by Immel_man, 24 October 2020 - 04:08 PM.

Vantablack12 #70 Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:53 AM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 24 October 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

Here’s what I’m thinking for those of you interested; Sherman group build. I’m going to build a 1/48 scale. Far fewer parts quick to the fun stage. Cheaper, less complicated build. If you wish to deviate from that it’s quite alright, but the beauty of the group build is we’ll all be working on the same project with similar complications, questions, and answers.

Tamiya makes quite a few variants of the Sherman. I’m considering a firefly or an easy 8.
I’m thinking of setting a target start date for December 1, possibly Jan 1, giving everyone time to gather up kits and supplies. Please post here for those of you who want to participate.

I'm totally down for a group build! I just moved into a new house, so I've gotta get everything set up before anything happens.

I hope we will get more than just the two of us to do this. It would be more fun to see other peoples ideas and techniques!

Vantablack12 #71 Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:10 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

What do you think about this model for a group build immel?

https://www.amazon.c...d-games&sr=1-3#

Immel_man #72 Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]

View PostVantablack12, on 02 November 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

What do you think about this model for a group build immel?

https://www.amazon.c...d-games&sr=1-3#

I think it’s an excellent choice. In fact I was leaning towards that very kit. Let me shop around and see if I can find us a better price. 

Vantablack12 #73 Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:54 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostImmel_man, on 02 November 2020 - 02:46 PM, said:

I think it’s an excellent choice. In fact I was leaning towards that very kit. Let me shop around and see if I can find us a better price. 

Yeah I was curious why it is almost 50$ when Fine Scale Modeler and the Tamiya website say they are 30$. 

Vantablack12 #74 Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

Ok, Walmart has them for 24$, but they are out of stock; and a website called MegaHobby has them for 25$. I have no experience with Megahobby so I am unsure of their reputability.

Walmart:https://www.walmart....32595/907369699

MegaHobby:https://www.megahobb...-48-tamiya.html

Edited by Vantablack12, 03 November 2020 - 12:15 AM.

Immel_man #75 Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]
Mega hobby is fine. Check eBay as well for some of the smaller retailers to sell there.
I suspect that Amazon sellers inflate their costs to make up for amazons “free shipping”

Vantablack12 #76 Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

Found a few more.

KITLINX: https://www.kitlinx....em_num=TAM32595

Sprue Brothers Models: https://store.sprueb..._p/tam32595.htm

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/19020807078

They seem to be reasonably priced.

Immel_man #77 Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]
Yep. Been seeing a lot of “out of stocks” though. Vantablack, I’d say just grab one and I’ll do the same. We’ll give it a month to let anyone else interested get their supplies and we’ll get started.
In the mean time let me know with the kind of supplies you have and the direction you wish to pursue.

BorisBaddenov #78 Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:38 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26970 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostImmel_man, on 03 November 2020 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yep. Been seeing a lot of “out of stocks” though. Vantablack, I’d say just grab one and I’ll do the same. We’ll give it a month to let anyone else interested get their supplies and we’ll get started.
In the mean time let me know with the kind of supplies you have and the direction you wish to pursue.

I might give this a go.  Any chance you could post a list of required supplies?  

edit - OK I bought the kit.   Might not arrive until Dec 10.   That gives me time to hunt down the other basic requirements.  

Peace-

Boris

Edited by BorisBaddenov, 06 November 2020 - 10:46 PM.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Vantablack12 #79 Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:15 AM

• Players
  • 16317 battles
  • [K9]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 06 November 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

I might give this a go.  Any chance you could post a list of required supplies?  

edit - OK I bought the kit.   Might not arrive until Dec 10.   That gives me time to hunt down the other basic requirements.  

Peace-

Boris

Basic supplies would be: sharp pointed side cutters ,hobby knife, razor saw, a good pair of tweezers, sanding sticks and sanding sponges in fine to super fine grits, liquid cement and gel super glue for plastics (super glue is for small parts).

More advanced supplies would be: Airbrush and compressor, paint brushes made of natural hairs,  two-part epoxy putty, white modeling putty, and a few more things that I can't think of right now.

You've made a few models in your past, right?

Edited by Vantablack12, 07 November 2020 - 08:16 AM.

Immel_man #80 Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 74251 battles
  • [YODA_]
Alright Boris!

Basic supplies don’t need to be as extensive as vantablack has listed. I would say anyone could finish a model with some plastic sprue cutters, a hobby knife (I recommend xacto with a #11 blade), and some plastic model glue. That’ll get it finished.
Next level supplies would be olive drab in a rattle can, a brush or two, with a few basic hobby paint colors, black, brown white, etc. that’ll get you to build with some color details.
Next level would be some hobby solvent putty and a sanding stick or two.

I’ll make up a product list for anyone reading this in the future who wants to join in.

Edited by Immel_man, 07 November 2020 - 03:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users