Jump to content


How do you properly play heavies with autoloaders?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

DerpytrollerZ #1 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9704 battles
  • 2,976
  • [RERE]
  • Member since:
    07-10-2014
I've been struggling for a while on the french heavy line and I feel like I'm not properly playing around the guns of these tanks. The armor is too weak to hulldown to shoot which means at best I'm trading shots if the enemy isn't reloading at the moment. Unloading all 3 shells on an isolated reloading target is great but the chances of me finding those opportunities are very minuscule in most of my battles. If I peek into the enemy team, I'll get nuked due to my lack of armor and my lack of gun depression makes it hard to find odd angles to take shots from. Meanwhile, although it's relatively mobile for a heavy, you're still a slow lumbering box of paper mache for the vast majority of TDs and derp guns. What changes should I make to my playstyle to be more effective at these tanks? (I'm currently on the AMX 50 120)

F*** WG am i right?


_Cletus #2 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

    Voodoo Wizard

  • Players
  • 27975 battles
  • 6,527
  • [III-P]
  • Member since:
    04-03-2016
These tanks are not heavies, regardless of WG's classification, and should not be played as such.  Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not great with them either.  Play back, slow, and cautious at the beginning of the match, as the reds start to take some hits try to focus on damaged tanks.  What these things are good for is finishing off wounded reds.

Dark_Magician_Girl, on 07 February 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Please show us on the doll where MM touched you

 

Avatar and graphics by crpl_hicks

 

KoV3LiK.jpg

 

Mako__Reizei___ #3 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:30 PM

    Sleepyhead

  • Players
  • 7885 battles
  • 552
  • [ALIAS]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2016
You let other heavies take the hit and clip distracted enemies. You can also flank along with mediums.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

 

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)


j_rod #4 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:30 PM

    Better Looking Than Cletus

  • Players
  • 27601 battles
  • 1,821
  • [H0B0S]
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View Post_Cletus, on 08 April 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

These tanks are not heavies, regardless of WG's classification, and should not be played as such.  Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not great with them either.  Play back, slow, and cautious at the beginning of the match, as the reds start to take some hits try to focus on damaged tanks.  What these things are good for is finishing off wounded reds.

 

What _Cletus said... Play cautious, don't be the first to be spotted and pop where there's an opening to unload the clip and then get back in cover.

 

Also, from a bigger picture standpoint - just because a tank is classed as a Heavy, Med, etc doesn't necessarily mean that it should be played as such. Play the tank based off its attributes, not its class. 


If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum
 

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

 


DerpytrollerZ #5 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9704 battles
  • 2,976
  • [RERE]
  • Member since:
    07-10-2014

https://imgur.com/a/VjQpsYr

Thx for the advice bois :)


F*** WG am i right?


_Crusader6_ #6 Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

    The Society’s NA President

  • Players
  • 65627 battles
  • 13,601
  • [SURG3]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

The French 8-10 ‘Heavies’ are realistically mobile multi shot TD’s.  
   The armor is negligible, so it’s not a heavy or even heavium.  Yeah the AMX 50 B has great front hull armor - big deal everyone shoot the turret or sides or rears. 

The are fabulous support tanks - because they can jump out and clip someone, or chase down a low health tank.    
 

Depending on Map and team they can can flex to where needed - with the understanding that they are soft - and can’t lead a heavy push.  
 

 



 
Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/413 Played Tanks Aced
 
NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 
 
    Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner
 
 

 


Chiefmac #7 Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:08 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 52103 battles
  • 400
  • [ROTI]
  • Member since:
    04-02-2014

View Postj_rod, on 08 April 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

 

What _Cletus said... Play cautious, don't be the first to be spotted and pop where there's an opening to unload the clip and then get back in cover.

 

Also, from a bigger picture standpoint - just because a tank is classed as a Heavy, Med, etc doesn't necessarily mean that it should be played as such. Play the tank based off its attributes, not its class. 

What these guys both said x3. Make sure you know where your escape route is before you uncover to unload your clip. It’s definitely a “closer” as Cletus said. 


Edited by Chiefmac, 09 April 2020 - 02:40 AM.


dport02 #8 Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:32 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 32085 battles
  • 1,622
  • [-FE4R]
  • Member since:
    11-22-2014
Stay near teammates
RNG is rigged !

_The_Tactition_ #9 Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:04 AM

    The Best Tactician

  • Players
  • 22257 battles
  • 2,903
  • [CRUEL]
  • Member since:
    02-06-2015
Second line it or run with with a medium pack. Do not depend on any bounces. The gun depression is great, look for ridges, however keep moving or else your huge turret will be hammered. Always pretend you have shots if the enemy doesn’t know. If there’s no targets for about 6 seconds reload the clip no matter the amount of shells. Try to wiggle the sides if you know you’ll get hit moving — this can lead to HE splash rather than full pens. Move between the clips. Ideally you’ll clip someone, move for the whole reload, then clip out again in a new spot when the reload is up. 

Edited by _The_Tactition_, 09 April 2020 - 06:04 AM.

Member of the Training Room Police Department

My YouTube:https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChFwqqu30_epeLO0q-BKEFw 

 

Give us the IRON CROSS


VonTink #10 Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:02 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24146 battles
  • 454
  • [MONTE]
  • Member since:
    12-05-2015

View Post_Cletus, on 08 April 2020 - 05:18 PM, said:

These tanks are not heavies, regardless of WG's classification, and should not be played as such.  Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not great with them either.  Play back, slow, and cautious at the beginning of the match, as the reds start to take some hits try to focus on damaged tanks.  What these things are good for is finishing off wounded reds.


There are lots of tanks that should be played as you describe, yet the drooling morons in the game will constantly harangue you for "camping".   For example, I was playing my Chimura tank a few days ago.  That is NOT a front line tank as the reload time takes ages.  I was sitting back tossing in shots as fast as I could reload, hitting almost every time.  Two greens (already out) were hurling the most vicious insults at me for "camping".  I did around 2900 damage, had a few kills, and was highest green.  

 

As is almost always the case, it was 60+%'ers hurling the verbal abuse.  

 

Edit: Just happened again.  A 67%'er told me to go suck on a pistol.  Screenshots capture and ticket filed.

 

 


Edited by VonTink, 09 April 2020 - 12:08 PM.


_Crusader6_ #11 Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:49 PM

    The Society’s NA President

  • Players
  • 65627 battles
  • 13,601
  • [SURG3]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostVonTink, on 09 April 2020 - 07:02 AM, said:


There are lots of tanks that should be played as you describe, yet the drooling morons in the game will constantly harangue you for "camping".   For example, I was playing my Chimura tank a few days ago.  That is NOT a front line tank as the reload time takes ages.  I was sitting back tossing in shots as fast as I could reload, hitting almost every time.  Two greens (already out) were hurling the most vicious insults at me for "camping".  I did around 2900 damage, had a few kills, and was highest green.  

 

As is almost always the case, it was 60+%'ers hurling the verbal abuse.  

 

Edit: Just happened again.  A 67%'er told me to go suck on a pistol.  Screenshots capture and ticket filed.

 

 

The Chimera can absolutely Front line.  
   You just need to use terrain and peak a boom.  
It isn’t a sniper as the gun dispersion is not for long range use.  
 

 



 
Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/413 Played Tanks Aced
 
NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 
 
    Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner
 
 

 


j_rod #12 Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:44 PM

    Better Looking Than Cletus

  • Players
  • 27601 battles
  • 1,821
  • [H0B0S]
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostVonTink, on 09 April 2020 - 06:02 AM, said:


There are lots of tanks that should be played as you describe, yet the drooling morons in the game will constantly harangue you for "camping".   For example, I was playing my Chimura tank a few days ago.  That is NOT a front line tank as the reload time takes ages.  I was sitting back tossing in shots as fast as I could reload, hitting almost every time.  Two greens (already out) were hurling the most vicious insults at me for "camping".  I did around 2900 damage, had a few kills, and was highest green.  

 

As is almost always the case, it was 60+%'ers hurling the verbal abuse.  

 

Edit: Just happened again.  A 67%'er told me to go suck on a pistol.  Screenshots capture and ticket filed.

 

 

 

If multiple 60%ers are saying the same thing, there's probably something to it. The Chimera is absolutely not a sniping from the back kind of tank as it's got workable armor, good gun depression and reasonable mobility. There are times where it should be as a second line tank and there are times where it can go frontline reasonably as well, but playing it from the back is rarely the thing to do. 

 

Congrats on getting decent damage, but you're actually highlighting a major issue we all see - occasionally doing the wrong thing works out and players use that to justify continuing to do the wrong thing. As an example, I had a green medium go town in Port Bay yesterday on an Encounter game while the rest of the team went river. I took the corner against two red meds and ultimately our med flanked and was able to take out both of their meds from behind after he stopped capping. Point being, the guy was a low 40% player and when we discussed post-game, he was adamant that he'd donlye the right thing bc he had decent damage and took out a TD and both of their mediums. Was it the right thing to do? No, I can honestly say it wasn't, but there was no convincing him.

 

 


If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum
 

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

 


VonTink #13 Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24146 battles
  • 454
  • [MONTE]
  • Member since:
    12-05-2015

View Postj_rod, on 09 April 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

 

If multiple 60%ers are saying the same thing, there's probably something to it. The Chimera is absolutely not a sniping from the back kind of tank as it's got workable armor, good gun depression and reasonable mobility. There are times where it should be as a second line tank and there are times where it can go frontline reasonably as well, but playing it from the back is rarely the thing to do. 

 

Congrats on getting decent damage, but you're actually highlighting a major issue we all see - occasionally doing the wrong thing works out and players use that to justify continuing to do the wrong thing. As an example, I had a green medium go town in Port Bay yesterday on an Encounter game while the rest of the team went river. I took the corner against two red meds and ultimately our med flanked and was able to take out both of their meds from behind after he stopped capping. Point being, the guy was a low 40% player and when we discussed post-game, he was adamant that he'd donlye the right thing bc he had decent damage and took out a TD and both of their mediums. Was it the right thing to do? No, I can honestly say it wasn't, but there was no convincing him.

 

 


Yes, I was abusing the gun depression, not sniping from long range.  the gun is not that accurate so I never snipe with that tank.  I just was not up front trading shots because the reload time is just ridiculous.  Any red who waits for me to shoot can just drive up and pop a Chimera without any risk at all.  This is NOT a front line tank.  It needs significant cover for that long reload time.

 

 



j_rod #14 Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:06 PM

    Better Looking Than Cletus

  • Players
  • 27601 battles
  • 1,821
  • [H0B0S]
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostVonTink, on 09 April 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:


Yes, I was abusing the gun depression, not sniping from long range.  the gun is not that accurate so I never snipe with that tank.  I just was not up front trading shots because the reload time is just ridiculous.  Any red who waits for me to shoot can just drive up and pop a Chimera without any risk at all.  This is NOT a front line tank.  It needs significant cover for that long reload time.

 

 

 

All we can do is go off your word then. If you were playing a support role and farming damage, I don't see the issue, but without the video there's no way to know if that's accurate.

 

What I do know is that if you're getting numerous hate message from multiple 60%ers, then there may be more to the story. 


If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum
 

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

 


_Crusader6_ #15 Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

    The Society’s NA President

  • Players
  • 65627 battles
  • 13,601
  • [SURG3]
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostVonTink, on 09 April 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:


Yes, I was abusing the gun depression, not sniping from long range.  the gun is not that accurate so I never snipe with that tank.  I just was not up front trading shots because the reload time is just ridiculous.  Any red who waits for me to shoot can just drive up and pop a Chimera without any risk at all.  This is NOT a front line tank.  It needs significant cover for that long reload time.

 

 


No tank is a ‘front line tank’ in that it should sit in the open and try to brawl face first.  
  Some tanks can get away with it on some opponents, more than others. 
You can front line behind cover and do a lot of business in the Chimera, as long as it has depression and cover during reload. 

I saw a Chimera push an E 50 into a wall (on Castilla) and pin him - using the mantlet to bounce (of course I then came along and riddled him with my Pantera. 
 

Also I rarely pay attention to comments unless I know the tanker - so many accounts have been sold and so many folks have rerolled to stat pad that just because someone is a 60%’er it doesn’t mean they are good - or even if they are good, they may be just annoyed, and not looking at the situation correctly.    
 


   



 
Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/413 Played Tanks Aced
 
NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 
 
    Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner
 
 

 


Texas_Tyrant #16 Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:55 AM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9628 battles
  • 907
  • [UTC]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2018

View Post__Crusader6__, on 09 April 2020 - 12:52 PM, said:


No tank is a ‘front line tank’ in that it should sit in the open and try to brawl face first.  
  Some tanks can get away with it on some opponents, more than others. 
You can front line behind cover and do a lot of business in the Chimera, as long as it has depression and cover during reload. 

I saw a Chimera push an E 50 into a wall (on Castilla) and pin him - using the mantlet to bounce (of course I then came along and riddled him with my Pantera. 
 

Also I rarely pay attention to comments unless I know the tanker - so many accounts have been sold and so many folks have rerolled to stat pad that just because someone is a 60%’er it doesn’t mean they are good - or even if they are good, they may be just annoyed, and not looking at the situation correctly.    
 


   

Selling accounts is seriously a thing?


We Want Israeli Tanks In Game! Merkava MK 1 Fits In Game!

"Remember the Alamo, remember Goliad" and tank with Vengeance!

Fun fact: There are 15 MBT in game already!

 


j_rod #17 Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:57 AM

    Better Looking Than Cletus

  • Players
  • 27601 battles
  • 1,821
  • [H0B0S]
  • Member since:
    05-04-2011

View PostTexas_Tyrant, on 09 April 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

Selling accounts is seriously a thing?


https://www.ebay.com/itm/WoT-Blitz-Pure-American-Premium-Tanks-Account-/192700380074


If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum
 

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users