I’m seriously looking for a teacher / mentor to help me get to Unicom.

Teacher mentor platoon learn help Unicom

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Major_Sweatpants #21 Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5872 battles
  • [PANEM]

View Postacrisis, on 19 April 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

Lots of points ... 

First things first:

Having multiple accounts is a waste of time and money. Because you are doing the same thing over in multiple accounts and don't benefit from accrued crew skills, clan supply benefits, premium time, premium tanks, ... 

If you have an account from 2013, that means you play(ed) World Of Tanks PC.

Correct?

How much did you play? Still active? 

What device do you play WOTB on?
PC? Laptop? Tablet? Phone?

Are you proficient using the device? 

If a touch device. Have you gone into settings and adjusted the size and layout of buttons, sensitivities, etc so that it is comfortable to use?

Are you set up for success? 

Do you have consumables installed like repair kit, multi repair kit, adrenaline?

So that, if you get tracked in a bad spot, that you can repair and move. If set on fire, that you don't burn to a crisp.

Do you aim in?
It takes a lot of hits per battle to help the team win. As in, more than 2, 3 or 4.
With a good number of tanks there is a big aim circle and if you just move around and press fire ... the shot will miss or hit some place you don't want it to hit.

So, with less accurate tanks especially, but good in general, let that circle shrink down, aim in, then press fire.

Where do you aim?

Angles come into play for bounces and ricochets. So good shots are perpendicular to a surface. 

Importantly zoom in, so you get the gunner view. Don't just depend on 3d overlook. Zoom in before the shot, look for grey areas ... because just shooting pink/red means it will do nothing, typically. 
Front lower glacis, commanders hatches, flat sides and rears are good places to aim for.  

Don't YOLO.

Do not rush out there and implode. That's a waste of a tank and gives the red team an extra gun. 

Play with more caution. 

Hard cover. 

Hold hard cover.  Solid objects protect your tank from shells. 

Don't CAMP.

Don't sit in the back and be that sniper, waiting for something to hit from the safety of the back line, waiting for reds to come to you. 

Do you over expose?
Try to only expose to one red tank at a time. Hold that cover during reload. Then go out a bit to fire. 

Can you hull down?

Use depression in terrain and map features to hide the tank hull.

Can you side scrape?
Put the nose and lower front plate against hard cover / building.

Angle out in reverse slightly to fire. 

Read the minimap.

Where did the greens go? Where are the reds? How many are where?
Look at the minimap during reload to try to surveil the battlefield.

Lots more can be talked about, but above are kind of the essentials.

And, there are video series on all this. I will see if I can pull up some basics. 

PS: Low tiers have separate queues for new players and existing players, fewer tanks, ... so the old advice to practice in lower tiers may indeed be hard to apply, due to queue times. 

i still need to master some of those xD

Smiley913 #22 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17562 battles
  • [FBM2]

I will never be a Unicum, but I know enough to (usually) not be the reason my team loses. If you’re truly interested, friend me within the game and I’ll be happy to platoon with you and give you advice. 

Before you make a goal of being the best, you first must make sure you’re able to contribute your fair share to a battle and not be a detriment to your team.

Proud Wallet Warrior: Allowing Whiners to Play For Free, One Purchase at a Time :)

AknaKon #23 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3178 battles

View Postacrisis, on 19 April 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

Lots of points ... 

First things first:

Having multiple accounts is a waste of time and money. Because you are doing the same thing over in multiple accounts and don't benefit from accrued crew skills, clan supply benefits, premium time, premium tanks, ... 

If you have an account from 2013, that means you play(ed) World Of Tanks PC.

Correct?

How much did you play? Still active? 

What device do you play WOTB on?
PC? Laptop? Tablet? Phone?

Are you proficient using the device? 

If a touch device. Have you gone into settings and adjusted the size and layout of buttons, sensitivities, etc so that it is comfortable to use?

Are you set up for success? 

Do you have consumables installed like repair kit, multi repair kit, adrenaline?

So that, if you get tracked in a bad spot, that you can repair and move. If set on fire, that you don't burn to a crisp.

Do you aim in?
It takes a lot of hits per battle to help the team win. As in, more than 2, 3 or 4.
With a good number of tanks there is a big aim circle and if you just move around and press fire ... the shot will miss or hit some place you don't want it to hit.

So, with less accurate tanks especially, but good in general, let that circle shrink down, aim in, then press fire.

Where do you aim?

Angles come into play for bounces and ricochets. So good shots are perpendicular to a surface. 

Importantly zoom in, so you get the gunner view. Don't just depend on 3d overlook. Zoom in before the shot, look for grey areas ... because just shooting pink/red means it will do nothing, typically. 
Front lower glacis, commanders hatches, flat sides and rears are good places to aim for.  

Don't YOLO.

Do not rush out there and implode. That's a waste of a tank and gives the red team an extra gun. 

Play with more caution. 

Hard cover. 

Hold hard cover.  Solid objects protect your tank from shells. 

Don't CAMP.

Don't sit in the back and be that sniper, waiting for something to hit from the safety of the back line, waiting for reds to come to you. 

Do you over expose?
Try to only expose to one red tank at a time. Hold that cover during reload. Then go out a bit to fire. 

Can you hull down?

Use depression in terrain and map features to hide the tank hull.

Can you side scrape?
Put the nose and lower front plate against hard cover / building.

Angle out in reverse slightly to fire. 

Read the minimap.

Where did the greens go? Where are the reds? How many are where?
Look at the minimap during reload to try to surveil the battlefield.

Lots more can be talked about, but above are kind of the essentials.

And, there are video series on all this. I will see if I can pull up some basics. 

PS: Low tiers have separate queues for new players and existing players, fewer tanks, ... so the old advice to practice in lower tiers may indeed be hard to apply, due to queue times. 

So A thanks for the great advice B most of it was new info to me in terms of info and structure.for example side scrapping. I thought that was where you placed your tank side by side with a turretless tank so you could shoot him but he cannot shoot back. Then I thought it was where I scrapped one side of my tank against a building so that the non exposed side couldn’t be hit. But, because of you and a few videos I get it C (can’t yet do it effectively learning to work the angles Not only the angle of the front or rear facing tank which usually needs to be less than 70 deg. But also to watch for the back up red who will hit me from a perpendicular angle increasing his chances of penning me and defeating the effective Armor thickness enhancement gained by angling) I've been playing tier 2 (switched from a cruiser 3 to a Stuart and I’m winning consistently now 7 out of my last 10) I also ditched practicing on the two re-roll accounts. I have also been using a tier 3 (still best for me [YMMV] on less wait time queuing over tier 2) TD called the SU-76i also winning there consistently (8 out of my last 11). Still need tons and tons of work on things like damage per game and camping to name a couple. But I did get a class 1 mastery and a class 2 as well as quite a few class 3’s with an objective of getting a class 3 almost every time since it represents just being better than average on a very low tier tank. As always I am open to tips and help and I am also less than fragile so I will sift through the “troll” invectives to glean really helpful data like from the poster I quoted above. 

Side note.  Thanks to those who have invited me to join a clan. I’m not sure if I should accept any of them until A I know that I am not a drag on the clan since I do not want to hurt a clan trying to help me and B how to pick a clan correctly. I have been screen shotting those invites so that when I am reasonably effective I can reach out at the appropriate time and hopefully the offer is still on the table from those generous enough to extend the hand of membership.

Thanks to all who have tried to help, actually helped and even those few who responded with ad hominem attacks. 

acrisis #24 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20994 battles
  • [III-C]

Great.

Some additional notes.

Try to learn a lesson every day. Watch a couple videos on a low or mid tier tank that you are going to play. 

Try to learn something from every battle. Was there something you could have done better? Could you have fired an extra shot? Did you aim in enough? Were you surprised by an enemy pulling up behind you ... where did he come from ... ( > glance at the minimap once in a while and look for the green & red markers ) 

When you die mid way in the battle, stick around, see what the rest of the team does, observe the movements & shots by greens & reds, try to predict what is going to happen, observe the good & bad, learn from their mistakes as well. 

You may also look at the advice I typed up in another thread http://forum.wotblit...check-my-stats/

I would focus on mediums & heavies.

Leave TDs especially turretless ones and light tanks for later. They're harder to play effectively.  

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

RonaldusMaximus_ #25 Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

Self-Righteous Prick

• Players
  • 15566 battles
  • [III-C]

OP has Zero battles on his WoT PC account... Don't grief him over his account creation date.

He is asking for help, not the kind of help usually requested on the forums, but he came to the right place and did not expect to get criticized.

AknaKon if you have Discord, Ill run with you in some training rooms on voice. Send me a PM here and a friend request in game. I am not the best, but I am competent most days of the week.

Edited by RonaldusMaximus_, 20 April 2020 - 09:28 PM.

jameszhoy #26 Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:47 AM

Private

• Players
  • 22451 battles
  • [ISHTR]
U shouldn’t focus on being unicum but focus more on winning

Also tagged with Teacher, mentor, platoon, learn, help, Unicom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users