New to Forum, 7000+ battles, need help improving - check my stats?

newcomer blitzstars help

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #1 Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:17 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

Hey guys, it's tough opening myself up to criticism and ridicule, and I realize I'm just not that good yet, even though I've played way too much already. BUT if you'd be willing to look at my stats (https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Jean_Luc_D_Argent) and give specific feedback, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I should be staying in lower tiers, but how low? There is so little teamwork and strategy even in tier 5. And I don't even know if all my stats will show, since I have (and have had) many tanks with less than 100 battles.

Should I focus on just one tier, or just one type of tank, or even just one line? Always play to 100 battles, even if my WR is low? I get a bit bored with slow heavies, I prefer heaviums, but I also enjoy TDs and mediums. I think I suck in lights, and therefore I rarely play them anymore. I have earned my way to a bunch of tier 8s but maybe I should be lingering in 6-7 for a while?

I guess that's enough rambling. Other than that, by way of introduction, I'm an early 40s married dude with 3 teen kids, living overseas. Thanks in advance!

tedg5 #2 Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:02 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 57724 battles
  • [AGOGO]

Just a quick observation:

You need to stay alive. Your only living 22% of the time. When your dead, your not doing damage, and your damage ratio is below 1, which means you die before doing your hitpoints in damage.

try to play a little less aggressive, always be dealing damage, but keep in or near cover. See if you can’t be one of the last 3 alive. If you take a shot, or get spotted, run to cover right then. Work on this in tiers 3-5 first, then move up.

All of this is not to say Camp, just be mindful of your cover my young Padawan.  :bush:

boris55555 #3 Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:04 PM

BORii Full Badge Society Member, and First Minister of FUNK

• Players
  • 31674 battles
  • [MINC]

Welcome. I can’t help much but to encourage you. You came to the party right place

Mission Accomplished!!!!!!!! 

& thank you 

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #4 Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View Posttedg5, on 20 April 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Just a quick observation:

You need to stay alive. Your only living 22% of the time. When your dead, your not doing damage, and your damage ratio is below 1, which means you die before doing your hitpoints in damage.

try to play a little less aggressive, always be dealing damage, but keep in or near cover. See if you can’t be one of the last 3 alive. If you take a shot, or get spotted, run to cover right then. Work on this in tiers 3-5 first, then move up.

All of this is not to say Camp, just be mindful of your cover my young Padawan.  :bush:

Thanks for this. I have been trying to play less aggressively. I usually head out from spawn thinking of spotting or capping (in supremacy), but then too often get swarmed by reds. I need to more patiently move from cover to cover. Right now I'm grinding Challenger (36 battles, 56% WR, 728 avg dmg) and I think it helps knowing I have no armor, so I have been trying to be more intentional to use cover and gun depression.

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #5 Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View Postboris55555, on 20 April 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

Welcome. I can’t help much but to encourage you. You came to the party right place

Thank you, sir.  o7

srennon #6 Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 39910 battles
  • [AXOP]

Like what others have mentioned try and stay alive.  If you are in a heavium always go with the herd and try not to be the first one spotted.  Usually if you are the first one spotted you are the first one died.  Play to the tank's strengths. 

Pay attention to the minimap and you have enough games to know the opponents tendencies. 

Use hard cover as much as possible and try to limit your 1 vs 1 battles to the end of the matches when you can risk lowing hit points.

You can watch youtube videos and see how the contributors play and you may learn a thing or two or simply platoon with a better player.   

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #7 Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View Postsrennon, on 20 April 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Like what others have mentioned try and stay alive.  If you are in a heavium always go with the herd and try not to be the first one spotted.  Usually if you are the first one spotted you are the first one died.  Play to the tank's strengths. 

Pay attention to the minimap and you have enough games to know the opponents tendencies. 

Use hard cover as much as possible and try to limit your 1 vs 1 battles to the end of the matches when you can risk lowing hit points.

You can watch youtube videos and see how the contributors play and you may learn a thing or two or simply platoon with a better player.   

Thanks. Yeah, I've watched videos. I feel like it's watching the NBA and then trying to implement those skills in a neighborhood pick-up game. The idea is nice, and sometimes it provides an "aha" moment, but not often. You think I should stay where I am in tiers & tanks? I can't tell if it's better to be diversified and learn multiple types of tanks, or better to just be a one trick pony and "get gud" in that one type/tier for a while (sounds a bit mundane, though).

_Cletus #8 Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

[edited] Voodoo [edited] Wizard [edited]

• Players
  • 32800 battles
  • [III-C]

I concur, it's all the dying that's hurting you.  You can check stats for yourself at blitzstars.com.  Survival has always been a big challenge for me also, mine is around 30% right now.  But if I look at my tanks with the best winrate, the survival tends to be around 40% or higher.  Which makes sense, the longer you are alive, the more opportunity you have to do more damage to the reds.  So when you're exchanging fire with the red, and you can get one more shot at him but you know you're gonna take one in return, instead think about how to get out of the situation and reset in a better position.  If I was you, I'd try to play a bunch of tier 6 until you can get your survival numbers a little better.  The ever-present threat of being deleted by a KV-2 will help you focus on staying in cover and surviving longer, and there are some fun tanks in that tier.

And welcome to the forums!

If a person feels powerless or insignificant in their life, the easiest way to achieve power is to make other people angry; every internet troll has known this since 1993 and every toddler has known it since the dawn of time.

Popcann #9 Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12677 battles

Your pretty much we’re I’m at, came into the game and just started playing without much of a clue to game mechanics or how to play.

ive watched the videos, still do, even posted games here for members to critique, which helped, and I progressed some. You really need to learn the maps, what positions to head for at start of game based on your tank, teammates and red lineup.

another point, prolly most important, is being able to know when to push, really important, to early and ooof, wrecked, to late and your team has been hammered and your over run. Map awareness, watching the mini map, knowing what the reds are gonna do. This is we’re I fail, I do t watch the map enough.

and then there’s just experience, playing a tank till you can do that double the tier damage consistently, knowing the weakness of your enemy, aka knowing all the tanks in your tier, were to hit um, who you can bully, td firing lanes, who to be careful of and all that. 

best you can do is play your best and have teams that know how to play, your always gonna get those 7-0 games, and your team will be a let down at times, he’ll I make mistakes and let the team down. 

definitly not a arcade shooter, so much stuff ya need to know, takes time. Also you have to be comfortable, confident when playing. It’s tough, but plenty of fun. 

check out DMGs map vids, he points out map positions, were to go and were not to go and why. Really good stuff.

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #10 Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View Post_Cletus, on 20 April 2020 - 01:29 PM, said:

I concur, it's all the dying that's hurting you.  You can check stats for yourself at blitzstars.com.  Survival has always been a big challenge for me also, mine is around 30% right now.  But if I look at my tanks with the best winrate, the survival tends to be around 40% or higher.  Which makes sense, the longer you are alive, the more opportunity you have to do more damage to the reds.  So when you're exchanging fire with the red, and you can get one more shot at him but you know you're gonna take one in return, instead think about how to get out of the situation and reset in a better position.  If I was you, I'd try to play a bunch of tier 6 until you can get your survival numbers a little better.  The ever-present threat of being deleted by a KV-2 will help you focus on staying in cover and surviving longer, and there are some fun tanks in that tier.

And welcome to the forums!

Good stuff, thanks!

View PostPopcann, on 20 April 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

Your pretty much we’re I’m at, came into the game and just started playing without much of a clue to game mechanics or how to play.

ive watched the videos, still do, even posted games here for members to critique, which helped, and I progressed some. You really need to learn the maps, what positions to head for at start of game based on your tank, teammates and red lineup.

another point, prolly most important, is being able to know when to push, really important, to early and ooof, wrecked, to late and your team has been hammered and your over run. Map awareness, watching the mini map, knowing what the reds are gonna do. This is we’re I fail, I do t watch the map enough.

and then there’s just experience, playing a tank till you can do that double the tier damage consistently, knowing the weakness of your enemy, aka knowing all the tanks in your tier, were to hit um, who you can bully, td firing lanes, who to be careful of and all that. 

best you can do is play your best and have teams that know how to play, your always gonna get those 7-0 games, and your team will be a let down at times, he’ll I make mistakes and let the team down. 

definitly not a arcade shooter, so much stuff ya need to know, takes time. Also you have to be comfortable, confident when playing. It’s tough, but plenty of fun. 

check out DMGs map vids, he points out map positions, were to go and were not to go and why. Really good stuff.

Thanks, good input. I didn't know DMG had map vids. Going to check those out right now! 

____Zer0____ #11 Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43183 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostJean_Luc_D_Argent, on 20 April 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

Thanks. Yeah, I've watched videos. I feel like it's watching the NBA and then trying to implement those skills in a neighborhood pick-up game. The idea is nice, and sometimes it provides an "aha" moment, but not often. You think I should stay where I am in tiers & tanks? I can't tell if it's better to be diversified and learn multiple types of tanks, or better to just be a one trick pony and "get gud" in that one type/tier for a while (sounds a bit mundane, though).

You're not watching the right videos then.   Theres a review, a preview, and a what to do on every single tank in this game on youtube.  Before you even play a tank you should be watching a good review video on that specific tank.   They are out there.  You just need to search for them.  

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

acrisis #12 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21314 battles
  • [III-C]

Q&A.

You are somewhere low middle in the pack of players as a whole, but improving = good. 

Correct. Don't play high tiers till you are more proficient. The higher you go, the more small mistakes can get penalized. 
Correct. It can be hard to get into battles due to 5.5, tech tree gutting, ... so if tier 3 & 4 are not viable, tier 5 & 6 may be where it is at. 100 battles. That used to be the metric for ranking in wotbstars. It does not apply to anything currently, that I am aware of. If you play 1 battle, it will show up. 

Focus. Play more battles in less tanks. Overal one can become a far better and more versatile player, by playing all tank types in all nations ... but that takes a fair bit of flexibility and adaptation, to do. For a while, while moving up the tiers slowly, with a relatively small garage, I used to play every tank I owned for the 2x win bonus. Or all the grind tanks for all the 2x bonuses. 

Here's what I would recommend:

stop worrying about the 100 battle thing

pauze high tier play

pauze tanks with low wr  

Old rule of thumb:

when grinding, get the tank to 50% at least and then move up

only move to the next tier when you have 50% for that tier

So, what we are seeing, as is common, lots of tanks getting played and grinded through, and lots of high tier premium purchases, while not quite understanding ins and outs of how to play better, ... 

You have 7000 battles and played 176 tanks, so you have spread yourself thin. ( in comparison that's about the same number of vehicles I have played ) 

TDs. 50% WR almost 1% damage ratio, 23% survival

I'd park the TDs. Easy to camp in, easy to do ineffective damage but harder to win in. Lots of vehicles without turrets. I don't think it's good idea to focus on them because it is harder to be effective in them, and if the goal is to move numbers up, be better overall, I'd start with heavies & mediums. 

Heavies. 48% wr 0.7 damage 25% survival.

You should be better at playing these first, get damage up, learn to hold cover, hull down, sidescrape, 25% survival is simply not good.

Mediums. 46% wr 0.7 damage 22% survival. 

As above. Damage needs to go up. Learn to peekaboom. 

Lights. 43% wr 0.6 damage 20% survial

Don't play lights till you are better at mediums. As above. You yolo, over expose, do hardly any damage ... difficult play style, harder to win in, guns are weaker, no armor. Do heavies and mediums first. 

I would recommend tier 5 6 7. Plain old standard battles, to take the supremacy part out of the equation. 

Do some tank(er) rehab.  Maybe warm up with a couple games in a good medium or heavy in tier 5. Then go to project tank. 

Some tanks, that to me are key to do well in, for further enjoyment and growth are the: M4 Sherman, T-34, KV-1, T1 Heavy. 

If one can make those work, plays as smart as possible, deploying every tactic to stay alive, dishing out damage while minimizing incoming damage, one should have a damage ratio of 2 and 40-50% survival. 

Key concepts:

Don't YOLO. Don't be that guy rushing out to his own death.

Hard cover. Use hard obstacles and terrain for protection. 
Hard cover to hard cover. 
Don't overexpose. Expose only as much as needed to spot, take the next shot. 

Don't do bad trades, where you fire one shot but eat three shells. 

Slice the pie. Only expose to one red at a time and work your way in from the outside of your viewing field. 

Setup for success: make sure you have multi repair, adrenaline, single repair ... so you can repair tracks and get out of dodge, so you can extinguish a fire instead of burning to a crisp ...

Make sure you have some premium ammo - click the gold icon to switch to silver - and have 6 - 12 premium shells on board, so that if need be, you can use a prammo round to damage an enemy or kill them.

Don't be a hard headed solo guy, go with the flow. There is strength in numbers and stubbornly going the " right " way only to find yourself in a 1 v 3 and dead 60secs later ... does not help you win. 

Learn to peekaboom and bait enemy shells. 

Learn to hull down.

Learn to sidescrape. 
Sometimes the best shot is not the one in front of you, but a sneaky shot into a weak enemy in the middle of the map, that takes a red gun out and keeps a green alive.

Keep an eye on the minimap, while in hard cover and reloading ... where are the greens, where are the reds, why are you only seeing 3 reds ... where are the other 4 ? deep flanking? ... 

After you die in battle, think if there is something you could have done better, stick around and see how the rest of the team does ... watch how the other players play ... observe their good moves, learn from their mistakes, ... 

Watch some videos on a tank before you roll out. Of course mastery games with monster numbers can be very hard to repeat, as they may depend on a weak enemy team and some lucky bounces. 

And there's always more to learn, practice, but ... you have to primarily focus on hard cover, doing more damage, staying alive longer. Learn something from every battle. And keep trying to do better.

Good luck. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

tedg5 #13 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 57724 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Excellent advice Acrisis. Do what he said! :great:

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #14 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View Postacrisis, on 20 April 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

Q&A.

You are somewhere low middle in the pack of players as a whole, but improving = good. 

Correct. Don't play high tiers till you are more proficient. The higher you go, the more small mistakes can get penalized. 
Correct. It can be hard to get into battles due to 5.5, tech tree gutting, ... so if tier 3 & 4 are not viable, tier 5 & 6 may be where it is at. 100 battles. That used to be the metric for ranking in wotbstars. It does not apply to anything currently, that I am aware of. If you play 1 battle, it will show up. 

Focus. Play more battles in less tanks. Overal one can become a far better and more versatile player, by playing all tank types in all nations ... but that takes a fair bit of flexibility and adaptation, to do. For a while, while moving up the tiers slowly, with a relatively small garage, I used to play every tank I owned for the 2x win bonus. Or all the grind tanks for all the 2x bonuses. 

Here's what I would recommend:

stop worrying about the 100 battle thing

pauze high tier play

pauze tanks with low wr  

Old rule of thumb:

when grinding, get the tank to 50% at least and then move up

only move to the next tier when you have 50% for that tier

So, what we are seeing, as is common, lots of tanks getting played and grinded through, and lots of high tier premium purchases, while not quite understanding ins and outs of how to play better, ... 

You have 7000 battles and played 176 tanks, so you have spread yourself thin. ( in comparison that's about the same number of vehicles I have played ) 

TDs. 50% WR almost 1% damage ratio, 23% survival

I'd park the TDs. Easy to camp in, easy to do ineffective damage but harder to win in. Lots of vehicles without turrets. I don't think it's good idea to focus on them because it is harder to be effective in them, and if the goal is to move numbers up, be better overall, I'd start with heavies & mediums. 

Heavies. 48% wr 0.7 damage 25% survival.

You should be better at playing these first, get damage up, learn to hold cover, hull down, sidescrape, 25% survival is simply not good.

Mediums. 46% wr 0.7 damage 22% survival. 

As above. Damage needs to go up. Learn to peekaboom. 

Lights. 43% wr 0.6 damage 20% survial

Don't play lights till you are better at mediums. As above. You yolo, over expose, do hardly any damage ... difficult play style, harder to win in, guns are weaker, no armor. Do heavies and mediums first. 

I would recommend tier 5 6 7. Plain old standard battles, to take the supremacy part out of the equation. 

Do some tank(er) rehab.  Maybe warm up with a couple games in a good medium or heavy in tier 5. Then go to project tank. 

Some tanks, that to me are key to do well in, for further enjoyment and growth are the: M4 Sherman, T-34, KV-1, T1 Heavy. 

If one can make those work, plays as smart as possible, deploying every tactic to stay alive, dishing out damage while minimizing incoming damage, one should have a damage ratio of 2 and 40-50% survival. 

Key concepts:

Don't YOLO. Don't be that guy rushing out to his own death.

Hard cover. Use hard obstacles and terrain for protection. 
Hard cover to hard cover. 
Don't overexpose. Expose only as much as needed to spot, take the next shot. 

Don't do bad trades, where you fire one shot but eat three shells. 

Slice the pie. Only expose to one red at a time and work your way in from the outside of your viewing field. 

Setup for success: make sure you have multi repair, adrenaline, single repair ... so you can repair tracks and get out of dodge, so you can extinguish a fire instead of burning to a crisp ...

Make sure you have some premium ammo - click the gold icon to switch to silver - and have 6 - 12 premium shells on board, so that if need be, you can use a prammo round to damage an enemy or kill them.

Don't be a hard headed solo guy, go with the flow. There is strength in numbers and stubbornly going the " right " way only to find yourself in a 1 v 3 and dead 60secs later ... does not help you win. 

Learn to peekaboom and bait enemy shells. 

Learn to hull down.

Learn to sidescrape. 
Sometimes the best shot is not the one in front of you, but a sneaky shot into a weak enemy in the middle of the map, that takes a red gun out and keeps a green alive.

Keep an eye on the minimap, while in hard cover and reloading ... where are the greens, where are the reds, why are you only seeing 3 reds ... where are the other 4 ? deep flanking? ... 

After you die in battle, think if there is something you could have done better, stick around and see how the rest of the team does ... watch how the other players play ... observe their good moves, learn from their mistakes, ... 

Watch some videos on a tank before you roll out. Of course mastery games with monster numbers can be very hard to repeat, as they may depend on a weak enemy team and some lucky bounces. 

And there's always more to learn, practice, but ... you have to primarily focus on hard cover, doing more damage, staying alive longer. Learn something from every battle. And keep trying to do better.

Good luck. 

acrisis,

thank you tons for taking the time to look over my stats and give this feedback. I really appreciate it. It's a tough to come to terms with the fact that I'm just not that good, when I feel like I am trying. But I really do want to improve, so I will take this to heart and linger in tiers 5-6 (maybe 7) until I see my stats consistently improving.

Thanks again,

Brandon

Absolute_Sniper #15 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 45571 battles
  • [CRU2L]

Watch this and ensure you have the basics down. If you haven’t mastered these techniques, tiers 6+ will continue to be a struggle. As several others have stated survival is key but you have to know how to survive while still helping the team. Hope this helps.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #16 Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostAbsolute_Sniper, on 20 April 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

Watch this and ensure you have the basics down. If you haven’t mastered these techniques, tiers 6+ will continue to be a struggle. As several others have stated survival is key but you have to know how to survive while still helping the team. Hope this helps.

Excellent and succinct video. Much appreciated. I will practice these more and rewatch this as needed. Thanks. 

_The_Tactition_ #17 Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

The Best Tactician

• Players
  • 26749 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Watch Bushka, Meadsy, Droodles on YouTube. Don’t watch th tank tides, watch the guides on how to improve. Try to survive more, you should aim for 30%, then 35%, then 40%, then 50%. Surviving leads to more damage, which helps you win games.

Member of the Training Room Police Department

My YouTube:https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChFwqqu30_epeLO0q-BKEFw 

Give us the IRON CROSS

ShootinSabot #18 Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:05 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 23616 battles
  • [III]

Welcome to the forums Jean_Luc.

Accrisis speaks much truth and I would pin his post and refer back to it once in a while.

He didn't talk about tooning with better players but that is also a method to improve especially if you can manage voice comms. Join the iii server and as a red shirt you have access to some really good players who may be available to toon with on comms. 

Part time potato 

Striving to be an Ambassador to help grow the game. 

generalhonks #19 Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8180 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Watch videos of some good players, and put some of their techniques into action. Now, I'm not saying do everything exactly as they do, just take note of what they do and when they do it: do they sidescrape here, where do they go to spot, what positions do they take on certain maps, etc.  I hope your games are better, and welcome to the forums.  

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

One day, the goose will rule the world!!

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #20 Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12054 battles
  • [III-P]
Thx bros!

Also tagged with newcomer, blitzstars, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users